• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorMane

Thanks. I've walked about a lot today and yesterday. Tomorrow I'm planning on going out during the night and trying parks and stuff.

That should help out! Parks are good. Waterfront such as ponds/lakes/ocean usually have water Pokemon. Stuff like that.

If you're on Facebook, there are also numerous groups popping up for individual cities where people will share where they found Pokemon.

Venom Fox

Banned
Go somewhere else, physically. Spawns are different everywhere. Though pidgeys and rattatas are going to be universal.
Do new spawns pop up though? Obviously I don't want to be walking 20 miles just to get an eevee. I must have walked my whole town (whixh is massive) and the best Pokemon I've captured is a Haunter.

That should help out! Parks are good. Waterfront such as ponds/lakes/ocean usually have water Pokemon. Stuff like that.

If you're on Facebook, there are also numerous groups popping up for individual cities where people will share where they found Pokemon.
Thanks! I'll go out exploring even further tomorrow. Apparently my inner city has a shit load of rare Pokemon so I'm going to try that.

AdanVC

Is there any reason why this game is not featured whatsoever on the Google Play store even though it has been shattering records? It doesn't even show up in the new/updated games for me.

Because then even more people would download the game and will burn the servers even more hah. But yeah it's amazing how this game has no marketing at all and managed to reach phenomenom status. A game advertised purely on word of mouth.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How hard is it to add servers for something like this? Legit question.
It's a much more complicated question and potential answer than you might expect. It's extremely unlikely that the solution they need is "just spin up more servers" and they're not doing so. Adding new VMs if they have the infrastructure is trivial and even adding new hardware to a datacenter typically takes hours or days depending on logistics. But it's a lot more likely that they're running into complex bottlenecks when it comes to distributing load, having to weigh the activity at peak DAU for different time frames based on global "rush hours," and try to be cost-effective versus the average and lowest points while also trying to estimate the impact of adding in access for the additional countries (something their investors, who likely care very little about the experience of any individual player, want done as soon as possible). I don't envy them even though I'm sure they're happy with the success of their product. Quite a few people are already out for blood.

Maybe they really are incompetent and just need to spin up 100 new VMs and the problems will instantly go away for everyone in the world, but they forgot to press the Enter key. It's possible. I think it's more likely that they are absolutely overwhelmed by the ludicrous user adoption rate here- not just outclassing other pokemon games, not just outclassing other mobile games, not just outclassing other mobile apps, but outclassing entire social media platforms like Twitter for both active users and engagement. Overnight it became something that is honestly affecting daily life in communities around the world. No one saw it coming, and I was paying attention.

The most honest response I can give you is that "something like this" has never exactly existed before. We are in pretty uncharted waters here.
Because they use Google Server. A week.
What are you referring to?

MajorMane

When are they going to fix this damned tracker thing? It's been broken since forever.

It's probably something they flipped a switch on server-side to reduce load on the servers. So whenever they decide to "flip it back on" is when they'll fix it. Same thing with the image where you caught the Pokemon.

Go somewhere else, physically. Spawns are different everywhere. Though pidgeys and rattatas are going to be universal.
Spawns aren't that different place to place within a small city or town. To get a change in spawns in general replacing say Zubats with Drowzee you're going to have to travel probably a good two hours. A persons best bet to just get new stuff is post up next to a couple of lures.

I think you mean when are they going to fix everything or anything!

Well, yes, but the first days with the tracking working were actually kinda fun.

It's probably something they flipped a switch on server-side to reduce load on the servers. So whenever they decide to "flip it back on" is when they'll fix it. Same thing with the image where you caught the Pokemon.

Might be a long time then.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
It's a much more complicated question and potential answer than you might expect. It's extremely unlikely that the solution they need is "just spin up more servers" and they're not doing so. Adding new VMs if they have the infrastructure is trivial and even adding new hardware to a datacenter typically takes hours or days depending on logistics. But it's a lot more likely that they're running into complex bottlenecks when it comes to distributing load, having to weigh the activity at peak DAU for different time frames based on global "rush hours," and try to be cost-effective versus the average and lowest points while also trying to estimate the impact of adding in access for the additional countries (something their investors, who likely care very little about the experience of any individual player, want done as soon as possible). I don't envy them even though I'm sure they're happy with the success of their product. Quite a few people are already out for blood.

Maybe they really are incompetent and just need to spin up 100 new VMs and the problems will instantly go away for everyone in the world, but they forgot to press the enter key. It's possible. I think it's more likely that they are absolutely overwhelmed by the ludicrous user adoption rate here- not just outclassing other pokemon games, not just outclassing other mobile games, not just outclassing other mobile apps, but outclassing entire social media platforms like Twitter for both active users and engagement. Overnight it became something that is honestly affecting daily life in communities around the world. No one saw it coming, and I was paying attention.

The most honest response I can give you is that "something like this" has never exactly existed before. We are in pretty uncharted waters here.

What are you referring to?
Since almost every time their servers goes down it affects users at a worldwide scale, I'm guessing the main issues are closer to their core infrastructure than at the distribution level.

Venom Fox

Banned
I know the "nearby" feature is broke atm but I just had a thought. Maybe it's like a radar. Like if the Pokemon is to the left then it'll be on the left side. If it's to the right of you then it'll be on the right etc. Obviously the footsteps let you know how close you are.

Decided to purchase some incubators today to hatch the huge bundle of 5-10km eggs I had. Popped all 9 of them in, then walked from the train station to work, went out for a walk during lunch for an hour, walked back from work to the train station, then from my home station up home. 8.2km in total. App running in the background. All eggs still showing at 0.0km.

Yeah, would like a refund for that. They really shouldn't be giving the option to purchase things until they've shorted shit out, feels like such a waste.

Anarion07

I know the "nearby" feature is broke atm but I just had a thought. Maybe it's like a radar. Like if the Pokemon is to the left then it'll be on the left side. If it's to the right of you then it'll be on the right etc. Obviously the footsteps let you know how close you are.

No. Upper left = closest, lower right = furthest

nomemorial

Neo Member
I feel like I've spent more time closing and reopening this game more times than I have playing it. It's a good time, but I'm hoping they can fix all these issues while hype is still big.

gutshot

Decided to purchase some incubators today to hatch the huge bundle of 5-10km eggs I had. Popped all 9 of them in, then walked from the train station to work, went out for a walk during lunch for an hour, walked back from work to the train station, then from my home station up home. 8.2km in total. App running in the background. All eggs still showing at 0.0km.

Yeah, would like a refund for that. They really shouldn't be giving the option to purchase things until they've shorted shit out, feels like such a waste.

The app has to be open and on screen. Not just running in the background.

Anarion07

Tracking doesn't work if the app is in the background.
And furthermore, you still have your items you paid for.

Intel_89

It doesn't count steps while running in the background. You got to have the app open for it to work.

Qwark

Kind of, but not really. How it used to work is that the Pokemon at the top left was the closest, and the next closest was top middle, top right, middle left, etc. But I think that's been kind of messed up for a while, since I've run into ones that were at the very bottom.

Not

Banned
Lucky we live near a college campus. Evolved my Nidoran into a 200+ CP Nidorina last night as well as evolved our first Pidgeot (300+ CP ) and hit Level 9.

Just 97 more Nidoran candies until Nidoqueen :'(

CEJames

AGITΩ;210742644 said:
Man this server shit is messed up. For the first time in ages i decide to fake sick and call out from work to go hit the town and do some pokemon hunting...and nothing. Or when it does start, theres no stops or gyms.

Dedication, right there. Of course, the thought crossed my mind but I actually tend to catch some pretty rare stuff where I work, though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Since almost every time their servers goes down it affects users at a worldwide scale, I'm guessing the main issues is closer to their core infrastructure than at the distribution level.
We're obviously operating with very little information here, but there are a variety of possible scenarios. When it's actually down as in offline for all users, your interpretation is the most likely, but if the experience of it "going down" is because they've chosen to tinker with it then it could be either one. My assumption about it being a matter of load distribution was actually based on the fact that today and other times, I've been able to get in and even catch a few pokemon despite everything remaining shaky and loading slowly when others haven't been able to get past the loading bar- rather than it being a universally consistent experience each time this happens.

edit: indeed just caught a weedle :X

I believe purchase history is tracked - if u leave a complaint they'd probably compensate down the road (right now it's more likely you'll getitthan later on when servers are mode stable)

AGITΩ

Dedication, right there. Of course, the thought crossed my mind but I actually tend to catch some pretty rare stuff where I work, though.
GPS stops tracking movement as soon as I enter the building for my work. So the app is only useful in the parking lot.

Uninstalled this for a while, I'm interested and tempted to play but it's so frustrating, literally half the time I try to play it's not working. If there is no quick fix just take it offline and fix it properly for fuck sake. Look forward to trying it again in a few weeks perhaps, but I'm not touching it in this state, fed up of wasting my time.

Not

Banned
Also guys I think you should know-- I haven't seen the server screen once since I started playing a week ago. Once. Granted, I live near a Verizon cell tower and do most of my hunting in the evening, but still. It's like all the server issues I constantly hear about are happening in another dimension.

CrazE

Banned
When are they going to fix this damned tracker thing? It's been broken since forever.

I think it's not broken. I think they took it down on purpose to help their servers. They disabled that and the map that shows the location where you captured you Mon. Seems not to of helped much doing that. Can't imagine how messed up things would be if they kept those on.

Argh, I'm at 9.9/10km and the servers went down. The suspense is killing me! I need/want a Snorlax!

jewzbxJ.gif

John Dunbar

correct about everything
for two days the servers were holding up well here, so i decided to try some items since this place is a wasteland anyway. i bought lure modules, incense and lucky eggs, and went to a place where two pokestops are very close together. almost as soon as i activated the items the game became unplayable. jesus fucking christ.

i sent a request for a refund, they better reimburse me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom