• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Gold & Pokemon Silver Virtual Console |OT| The Nostalgia Is Crystal Clear

eefara

So I bought Silver online instead of directly through the eshop after the announcement of the Celebi thing. In my error, I forgot to screencap or write down the code for the Celebi and home menu theme.

It doesn't look like the receipt is on the eshop though. Does it only appear when the game is available? Should I contact Nintendo about it?

Looks like you might have to; there seems to have been quite a few issues surrounding the code distributions.

So I bought Silver online instead of directly through the eshop after the announcement of the Celebi thing. In my error, I forgot to screencap or write down the code for the Celebi and home menu theme.

It doesn't look like the receipt is on the eshop though. Does it only appear when the game is available? Should I contact Nintendo about it?
My receipts are emailed to me. Did you check your email?

eefara

Two questions:
In NA, does it matter where you buy the game to get the theme? Like, can it be via the eShop, or do I have to go through a specific retailer?

And is an egg's gender determined upon hatching or you receiving it?

Reposting to a new page before I forget; I know somebody has to know.

Woohoo! Can't wait! I'm going Silver, and then Gold after; only had Crystal as a kid, so these are both new to me.

I think I'll be doing a themed run with Silver; I've been planning out a team based off of the Digital Devil Saga games.

Two questions:
In NA, does it matter where you buy the game to get the theme? Like, can it be via the eShop, or do I have to go through a specific retailer?

And is an egg's gender determined upon hatching or you receiving it?
Depends on which theme you want.

It is determined upon you recieving the egg.

The Gold box was damaged on the side so I'm waiting for a replacement now (Amazon chose to deliver it in the smallest package possible).

Nice to see that the USK logos are so small at this one. I bought my copies from Gameware going for the austrian PEGI versions, (and the much better packaging). Amazon became so terrible with packaging and the boxes are really nice. No way I order something like this through them anymore.

Anth0ny

I remember scouring the net and reading walkthroughs for the game with all the names in Japanese, and the hype around reading blurbs like these after living in a world with ~151 pokemon was through the roof:

Stuff like this was available in a lot of shops, and as a kid you couldnt go anywhere, not even gift shops, without seeing all of the latest pokemon cards for sale:

And of course, the eventual commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjgFVvnFNYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=849zPOUgFIc

ahhhhhhhh I remember the japanese walkthroughs confusing me so bad as a kid. lol

eefara

Depends on which theme you want.

It is determined upon you recieving the egg.

I was under the impression that US was only getting the theme with trainer/gym leader art; are we also getting the Ho-oh/Lugia ones?

Thanks! I'll have to save before I grab the Togepi egg, then...

I was under the impression that US was only getting the theme with trainer/gym leader art; are we also getting the Ho-oh/Lugia ones?

Thanks! I'll have to save before I grab the Togepi egg, then...
For the trainer one you need to get it off amazon, best buy, or gamestop.

Hooh and lugia, you can just do the eshop.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Some word of advice if anyone is planing to do the three starter glitch.

1, the Pokémon won't be recorded in your Pokédex but their evolution will so you would need to breed other one if you want the Pokédex data, you can do this after obtaining the second badge.

2, Make your that you have no Pokémon in the PC on your current saved file as it will copy everything that you are trying to clone, I discovered this the hard way on my original Gold version after I lost half of my team.

3. You can use this trick to clone your Pokémon on your current file, so if you don't want to breed another Eevee just clone the one that Bill gives you and hey presto you have two Eevee for the price of one.

So you can't trade/transfer pokemon with RBY on the same 3DS right?

As far I am aware no you can't.

Redd

That starter glitch seems tedious. I'll just trade some of my pokemon with some gaffers for their egg babies.

MicH

Worth remembering that everything should get its Hidden Ability when transferred through Bank to modern games. That might be a little incentive to play this over/as-well-as the remakes.
Oh, that's interesting. Was not aware of that, guess that's an incentive to transfer them over.

Silver might be my favorite in the series next to blue. Last time I tried to play my copy the internal battery died and I lost my save :p. If I ever get a 3DS I'm picking this up.

I don't ever remember hearing anything about that. :O

I don't think the US was so lucky. :(

Gender is determined by the atk DV.
For a pokemon with a 50/50 gender distribution those with a DV lower than 8(out of 15) will be female and those with a higher DV will be male.
This is especially bad with Pokemon like starters that are only 1/8 female as only the lowest of atk DVs will result in a female.

In short, a female of the same species will always have a lower attack DV than a male.

eefara

Gender is determined by the atk DV.
For a pokemon with a 50/50 gender distribution those with a DV lower than 8(out of 15) will be female and those with a higher DV will be male.
This is especially bad with Pokemon like starters that are only 1/8 female as only the lowest of atk DVs will result in a female.

In short a female of the same species will always have a lower attack DV than a male.

Very interesting; you learn something new every day.

Check your email. If not there, check the spam mail. For some reason, my codes ended up in spam.

Silver might be my favorite in the series next to blue. Last time I tried to play my copy the internal battery died and I lost my save :p. If I ever get a 3DS I'm picking this up.

Entire DS and 3DS library open to you. Definitely get a 3DS. I'm surprised so many people sold theirs when the Switch came out.

CazTGG

Debating whether to go with Typhlosion or Charizard for my Fire rep. I'm already breeding a Chikorita w/Leech Seed, so it might not be a bad idea to have a Charizard with one too. Then again, Typhlosion has a better movepool not accounting for Gen I TMs Charizard could use. Hmm...

Can't wait to own this game again. Fuck whoever stole my copy in the 4th (or was it 5th) grade.

Can't explain it, but despite all the QoL improvements, I like the originals more than the remakes. They just never FELT the same to me. So while I definitely enjoyed HeartGold when it came out, this is the shit I've been waiting for.

My brother stole my original copy of Silver and gave it to his friend. Still bitter that he never gave it back/replaced it nor did I get a proper apology from him.

MicH

I know people love this game but the Pokemon distribution is really bad. Even when I played it originally, I hated that about it.
This is my main gripe about these games. The fact that some Johto Pokemon can only be found in Kanto is just ridiculous. I thought they were supposed to be native to Johto?!

RIP my dreams of a playthrough with Houndour and Murkrow.

Weebos

Banned
This is my main gripe about these games. The fact that some Johto Pokemon can only be found in Kanto is just ridiculous. I thought they were supposed to be native to Johto?!

With Pokemon Bank support this would be pretty easy to do, assuming you beat the game beforehand and breed some babies.

Granted, that is a big assumption, but if you think you will play through the game more than once it is worth a try.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure it will work this way.

Redd

I know right. I wanted to have a houndoom for my regular playthrough but have to settle for umbreon again.

MSScaeva

Neo Member
I just spent over an hour wandering through the grass south of Goldenrod to catch an Abra. Finally got one and gave it all the elemental punch TMs. Once I get it leveled up it should tear through just about anything.

Wait, does trade evolution work from Gold to Blue? And if I trade over a Slowpoke holding a King's Rock, will it evolve into a Slowking when it comes back?

Malakai

Debating whether or not its worth it to do the starters glitch and get everyone. I was always really charmed by all 3 of the main ones.

Also this game just reopens the old wound of Ledian being complete dogshit. My favorite Pokemon design and using it even for the main game would probably be a very uphill battle.

Tell me about it. I loved Ledian design. So freaking cute and cool at the same time.

Wait, does trade evolution work from Gold to Blue? And if I trade over a Slowpoke holding a King's Rock, will it evolve into a Slowking when it comes back?

I'm not actually sure on that one. The King's Rock will be saved because items occupy the unused capture rate slot in Gen 1 however.

Tangent, this is why the Polka-Dot Bow and the Brick Piece exist. Jigglypuff and Machop had unique catch rates in Gen 1 and they didn't want to have to make an even more complex conversion system.

It's not possible to trade a pokemon holding an item to Blue. Regular trade evos work though.

EDIT:
I'm not actually sure on that one. The King's Rock will be saved because items occupy the unused capture rate slot in Gen 1 however.

Tangent, this is why the Polka-Dot Bow and the Brick Piece exist. Jigglypuff and Machop had unique catch rates in Gen 1 and they didn't want to have to make an even more complex conversion system.
I can't find a source that specifies whether the catch rate is taken from the Pokemon data or from the global catch rate.

EDIT2:
Oh, found it. Looks like it does use the unused data field. That's pretty neat, I never knew that.
That said it does seem that the time capsule does not let Pokemon holding items enter from the gen 2 side.

CazTGG

You can only trade Pokémon with items for the purpose of evolution to Gold, Silver or Crystal.

It's not possible to trade a pokemon holding an item to Blue. Regular trade evos work though.

Ah that's annoying, would have quite liked to use Slowking. Guess I can settle for Slowbro though.

Team I'm planning at the moment is Typhlosion, Crobat, Golem, Slowbro and Heracross. Still unsure on the 6th member. Was going to go for Jolteon but then I remembered you can't get the stones. Would use Ampharos but I've used it loads before. Not many decent Grass types either and don't want the Psychic cross-over with Slowbro so can't use Jynx. Argh.

That starter glitch seems tedious. I'll just trade some of my pokemon with some gaffers for their egg babies.

Just did it. It takes about 30 minutes but it's really neat to start the game with all the starters. There's not a whole lot early game I want to use any ways.

Has anyone in the US been able to confirm if you get the Gym Theme from Amazon? I don't see any mention of it on the Amazon listing.

Pokemon_gold_and_silver_screenshot_of_special_nintendo_3ds_theme_featuring_trainers_and_gym_leaders.jpg

Aleh

I wanted to wait till we got details about VC on Switch but... I couldn't resist. I bought Silver.
No regrets.

I had a physical Gold cart when I was really young and never did play Silver so that's what I bought a short while ago! ^_^ Gen 2 has always been my favorite gen.

How is Wigglytuff in G/S? I just found a 5% Jigglypuff on Route 46 (completely forgot this was even a thing) and I'm considering it but I never used one as a kid so I don't know if it's any good.

Makonero

How is Wigglytuff in G/S? I just found a 5% Jigglypuff on Route 46 (completely forgot this was even a thing) and I'm considering it but I never used one as a kid so I don't know if it's any good.

Wigglytuff is great since she can learn so many elemental TMs. The problem is finding a moon stone. Elemental stones are super rare in this game until the very end. I remember evolving my Growlithe too late to learn ExtremeSpeed and being very pissed about that.

Kyzer

Banned
Not getting the insane amount of nostalgia I got from RBY on the VC, probably because I've replayed GS and HGSS so many times

CazTGG

Wigglytuff is great since she can learn so many elemental TMs. The problem is finding a moon stone. Elemental stones are super rare in this game until the very end. I remember evolving my Growlithe too late to learn ExtremeSpeed and being very pissed about that.

You can find a Moon Stone when you enter Kanto for the first time, if I recall, and one will appear every Monday at Mt. Moon. In Johto, there's one near the Ruins of Alph.

Top Bottom