• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Gold & Pokemon Silver Virtual Console |OT| The Nostalgia Is Crystal Clear

Of course there will be a Switch VC eventually, Nintendo is not going to just let their classic games die with the 3DS and Wii U. You'll just have to wait a while. Their old games are the foundation of everything they do, once they've finished milking the Mini consoles they'll bring the games to Switch.
I'll believe it when I see it

eefara

The fact that thief is a TM I've picked up in this game makes me feel even sillier for not really noticing the wild hold items.

I blame my inability to ever actually keep Miltank in a ball to witness its 100% moomoomilk chance.

It's not just you; it's a struggle to catch those things for me too.

I shouldn't have any undue difficulty getting a Magmar in the burned tower, right? Disregarding its low appearance rate?

Makonero

Yeah.

Starter
Spinarak/Ledyba
Hothoot
Wooper
Hoppip
Mareep

Don't forget the MVP!

ZgPuqy8.gif

It might show up somewhere in your account history on the E-shop, likely whatever transaction was used to redeem the code.
It's not, I'll probably have to email them I guess.
Doesn't seem like I'm the only one with the issue at least haha.

Think I already have a Celebi in bank but I don't think that one is legit (from a used game lol), would have been nice.

Yeah.

Starter
Spinarak/Ledyba
Hothoot
Wooper
Hoppip
Mareep

Absolutely, if you're cool with only using shit Pokémon.
Many of the fun ones are later in the game.

Yeah you can. You got the starter, first route has the rattata clone, day and night have the early bugs, night time has the early bird, first electric type in the route after the first gym, water type in the first connecting cave

Don't forget the MVP!

ZgPuqy8.gif

Alright, thank you all!

And I don't mind using shit pokemons.

You can get them before Kanto by adding specific trainers to your Pokégear. They will call you randomly to give you stones.

That's only in Crystal. You can only get one Fire/Water/Leaf/Thunder stone from Bill's old house in Kanto in Gold/Silver. Luckily, cloning is common knowledge these days, but this was one of my main complaints about GS back when it released.

Lagamorph

So er I couldn't help myself and I caved in and brought Silver.

Ah well at least I got a cool theme and Celebi out of it, plus I can play it for fun and I will have finished copy ready for when Crystal gets released on virtual console.
Do you get Celebi for buying from the eShop? I only saw a mention of the theme.

Robin64

Night time is gorgeous in this. It actually feels properly dark, with houses and stuff looking beautifully lit up.

I can't stop myself from holding B to run, ahh.

Missed this gem though, must be over 10 years since I last played Gold/Silver. So good to be back!

Aleh

Night time is gorgeous in this. It actually feels properly dark, with houses and stuff looking beautifully lit up.

I cannot agree more. Always loved this even when I was a kid, it's so strangely realistic compared to even the latest games with how you can see the light from buildings and the colors in the overworld are so on point.

Any early starter tips for the beginning of the game? I know about the cloning starters trick but is there something else I should look into?

eefara

So if I buy it at Amazon will I get both the trainer theme and Box Legendary theme?

Just the trainer theme, I believe. Box legendary theme should be eShop only.

Finally got my copy of Silver! I'm running a Digital Devil Saga-themed team; for those interested, this is what I'm planning:

Serph- Feraligatr
Heat- Magmar
Sera- Togetic
Gale- Xatu
Cielo- Crobat
Argilla- Steelix

So er I couldn't help myself and I caved in and brought Silver.

Ah well at least I got a cool theme and Celebi out of it, plus I can play it for fun and I will have finished copy ready for when Crystal gets released on virtual console.

Lol.. you didn't last long.

Tomorrow will be my make or break day. If I can resist the urge to not buy tomorrow I know I'll be able to make it without buying Silver. The urge is strong every time I see this thread.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Do you get Celebi for buying from the eShop? I only saw a mention of the theme.

I live in Europe and I got an e-mail from Nintendo with the code after I brought it from the E-shop.

Lol.. you didn't last long.

Tomorrow will be my make or break day. If I can resist the urge to not buy tomorrow I know I'll be able to make it without buying Silver. The urge is strong every time I see this thread.

Ha ha yeah, I wasn't planing to buy it but the news that Crystal could be coming to virtual console and the fact that's my 30th birthday next week so I spoilt myself.

I will probably end up buying Pokémon Red as well before I got to bed.

Early notes.

I completely forgot Professor Elm had a family, Oak really does overshadow him in this game.

Why isn't there an N64 in my room? Might be the only game you don't have a console in your room.

This lady in New Bark Town roast of shit out of me. Paraphrasing - "Nice Pokegear, did your mom get it for you?"

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
So I NEVER got my Amazon theme code.

I called customer support and they had no idea what I was talking about. I'm super pissed.

What should I do? If nobody wants their theme, help a guy out?

Early notes.

I completely forgot Professor Elm had a family, Oak really does overshadow him in this game.

Why isn't there an N64 in my room? Might be the only game you don't have a console in your room.

This lady in New Bark Town roast of shit out of me. Paraphrasing - "Nice Pokegear, did your mom get it for you?"

Lmao, savage.

Really fighting the urge to cop this. What is the likelihood of Crystal coming out soon?

eefara

Lmao, savage.

Really fighting the urge to cop this. What is the likelihood of Crystal coming out soon?

No clue, knowing Game Freak. Could be a couple of months to let Gold and Silver sell, could be on Switch VC only, who knows. I wouldn't bet anytime soon, though, especially with USUM coming out; they'll want to focus their efforts on that.

dawgparty

Ugh, I can't pick between Gold and Silver. I love Growlithe but lack of Fire Stone until Kanto is awful. I also want Ursaring but I love Ledian and Persian. Ledian is the worst Pokemon ever and I'm still tempted to use it.

Top Bottom