• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Gold & Pokemon Silver Virtual Console |OT| The Nostalgia Is Crystal Clear

Nuzlocke Progress:

Started with Silver via random dice roll
Starter ended up as being Chikorita via random dice roll
First Pokemon caught was Sentret
Also caught a Geodude and a Pidgey, names coming soon as I'm away from my 3DS atm while it charges.

I actually forgot how much an improvement this game was over Gen 1 in almost every aspect. Color was a big thing that was added but you also had holding items, the special stat being split, berrys in trees (I hated that in HG/SS they changed all these locations to that stupid acorn things to make Pokeballs), an actual bar to show how close you are to a level, ect.

Enjoying it so far and thank god I caught a Geodude so I won't get completely wrecked by the first 3 gyms I was really nervous when I got freaking Chikorita of all things as a starter (which I didn't even realize it would be that as I picked it. I just looked at the table and did left to right for a dice roll. Left was 1-2, mid was 3-4, right was 5-6 and I was thinking it was Totodile on the right not Chikorita lol) which gets wrecked by the first two gyms (Flying, Bug) but Geodude will certainly help me get passed all of this early on.

Has anyone in the US been able to confirm if you get the Gym Theme from Amazon? I don't see any mention of it on the Amazon listing.

Pokemon_gold_and_silver_screenshot_of_special_nintendo_3ds_theme_featuring_trainers_and_gym_leaders.jpg
If anybody has a code for this and doesn't want it I'd trade my eshop Gold Ho-oh theme code for it.

Plasmid

is the pokemon won't listen to you thing still in the game ?

When cloning I don't think so, because it's not registered as a traded Pokemon.

Has anyone in the US been able to confirm if you get the Gym Theme from Amazon? I don't see any mention of it on the Amazon listing.

Pokemon_gold_and_silver_screenshot_of_special_nintendo_3ds_theme_featuring_trainers_and_gym_leaders.jpg

I did. When I confirmed the game from Amazon and redeemed it on my 3ds via the Nintendo site the page loaded to a code screen where I could download the theme.

Robin64

great i just saw the video this is technically glitching right?

Absolutely, but everything from it is legit. Just depends on your own views here I guess.
It's not quite like getting a Mew in RBY VC that you can't transfer to Bank.

I have always and will always pick grass starter in Pokemon. :D

Grass type forever!

Anyway, so technically speaking, Houndour is a Kanto Pokemon (from a G1 & G2 standpoint at least)?

Plasmid

great i just saw the video this is technically glitching right?

Yep. Only issue I see is the Pokedex entries don't fill, so you'll have to go back and egg them to get the entry in the later game.

I have chikorita but not totodile or Cyndaquil entries.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Robin64

Yep. Only issue I see is the Pokedex entries don't fill, so you'll have to go back and egg them to get the entry in the later game.

I have chikorita but not totodile or Cyndaquil entries.

If you get to the day care before they evolve, simply putting them in and taking them out will register them.

i still don't get people that pick grass type starters in pokemon games xD

Grass type starters are often my favorite ones, water is in the middle and fire is my least favorite. I have picked Chikorita in ever single gen 2 game as my starter and have done so once again just now in Silver! ^_^

Grass type starters are often my favorite ones, water is in the middle and fire is my least favorite. I have picked Chikorita in ever single gen 2 game as my starter and have done so once again just now in Silver! ^_^

Grass is my least favorite. Cyndaquil da gawd and Chespin being exceptions, I always prefer the water starter

Bladenic

I always have a tough time picking a team, but since I have someone to trade with, I'm gonna finally get to use some trade evos.

So far my team will be:

Feraligatr
Gengar
Alakazam/Espeon

Then possibly Machamp, Weezing, Dragonite/Kingdra, Steelix/Magneton.

I really detest that the stones are in Kanto only. Makes so many Pokémon rather unviable.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
*If you're in Europe
Yeah that sucks I forgot to log in and when I did it told it wasn't available in my region (US).

So how do you get the theme exactly? Can I buy Pokemon Gold from Amazon for a relative and still be able to get the theme on my Account? Or does the game HAVE to be redeem on my account so I can get the Theme?

Mr-Joker

Banned
So er I couldn't help myself and I caved in and brought Silver.

Ah well at least I got a cool theme and Celebi out of it, plus I can play it for fun and I will have finished copy ready for when Crystal gets released on virtual console.

Tortimer

Possibly a dumb question, but do we think there's any chance that G/S will be on the Switch's VC whenever that finally comes out? I'm tempted to buy G/S, but I'd rather have it on my Switch than my 3DS at this point, since that's primarily the system that I've been using.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Possibly a dumb question, but do we think there's any chance that G/S will be on the Switch's VC whenever that finally comes out? I'm tempted to buy G/S, but I'd rather have it on my Switch than my 3DS at this point, since that's primarily the system that I've been using.

Nobody really knows honestly.

I mean it would make sense, but then again it would make sense to have the game release on both now.

Is what it is.

I wish they had unlocked this earlier. Now I have to wait till tomorrow morning to catch a Ledyba

Also, best rival

viaIApk.jpg

there has to be a switch vc to begin with for there to be a chance

Do you enjoy the start Silver with that choice?

I actually enjoy the harder beginning to the game that choosing Chikorita gives. Similar to Gen 1 if you chose Charmander with the first couple gyms being super effective against you. Having no real edge over any of the gym leaders kinda makes it a bit more fun too. Plus Meganium is my favorite grass type out of all grass pokemon.

Grass is my least favorite. Cyndaquil da gawd and Chespin being exceptions, I always prefer the water starter

I usually buy both versions so I usually chose the grass starter on the version I play first and the Water starter on the version I play second. The exception being Fennekin as I loved it's entire evolution line and went water for the 2nd game as Chespin was the only starter grass line I didn't like aesthetically.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I wish they had unlocked this earlier. Now I have to wait till tomorrow morning to catch a Ledyba

Also, best rival

viaIApk.jpg

there has to be a switch vc to begin with for there to be a chance

Of course there will be a Switch VC eventually, Nintendo is not going to just let their classic games die with the 3DS and Wii U. You'll just have to wait a while. Their old games are the foundation of everything they do, once they've finished milking the Mini consoles they'll bring the games to Switch.

Wild Magnemite have a chance at holding Metal Coat in this, right? Or was that just HG/SS?

I honestly had no idea wild pokemon had held items in Gen 2 classic.
But checking the serebii dex tells me there's a 5% chance.

Hold the phone, this makes Scizor and Steelix in the main game more possible!

Does anyone know why I didn't get the Celebi code? I pre-ordered through GameStop and received the theme, but I can't find the code for Celebi anywhere.

I never played any of the johto games, so I might buy the gold version to try it.

I only have one question about these games, is it possible to build an only johto team early on?

eefara

I honestly had no idea wild pokemon had held items in Gen 2 classic.
But checking the serebii dex tells me there's a 5% chance.

Hold the phone, this makes Scizor and Steelix in the main game more possible!

Looking around, it seems you get the thief TM in Mahogany. Just gotta find out its percentage of actually stealing.

I never played any of the johto games, so I might buy the gold version to try it.

I only have one question about these games, is it possible to build an only johto team early on?
Yeah you can. You got the starter, first route has the rattata clone, day and night have the early bugs, night time has the early bird, first electric type in the route after the first gym, water type in the first connecting cave

Looking around, it seems you get the thief TM in Mahogany. Just gotta find out its percentage of actually stealing.

The fact that thief is a TM I've picked up in this game makes me feel even sillier for not really noticing the wild hold items.

I blame my inability to ever actually keep Miltank in a ball to witness its 100% moomoomilk chance.

Top Bottom