• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Gold & Pokemon Silver Virtual Console |OT| The Nostalgia Is Crystal Clear

No clue, knowing Game Freak. Could be a couple of months to let Gold and Silver sell, could be on Switch VC only, who knows. I wouldn't bet anytime soon, though, especially with USUM coming out; they'll want to focus their efforts on that.

Ugh. Thanks. And you get Celebi in this? Making it harder not to buy it

Ledian was such a let down. Red Power Ranger lady bug! Hate how weak it ended up being.

Gold is definitely best version. Skarmory is really the only thing I feel I miss out on with Silver and I like a lot of other flying types anyway

Mr-Joker

Banned
I completely forgot Professor Elm had a family, Oak really does overshadow him in this game.

Yeah a lot of the gen 1 stuff does tend to overshadow most of the gen 2 stuff.

Fun fact: Elm was a professor studying Pokémon evolution but Rowan took that role and Elm sort of moved into the field of studying the mystery of Pokémon Eggs.

Why isn't there an N64 in my room? Might be the only game you don't have a console in your room.

You can get it but it's a mystery gift item from Pokémon Stadium 2.

Really fighting the urge to cop this. What is the likelihood of Crystal coming out soon?

Well some folks say that they have found evidence of it coming and I really doubt that Game Freak is going to skip over a main series Pokémon game.

I always left Silver's name as ???, I'm not snitching to the cops. What, they can't find a 10-year-old, someone's getting paid.

batfax

Finally home from work to play. Man, why'd Nintendo have to launch it at noon? I could've activated it this morning and played it over lunch if they did it at midnight.

Has anyone in the US been able to confirm if you get the Gym Theme from Amazon? I don't see any mention of it on the Amazon listing.

Pokemon_gold_and_silver_screenshot_of_special_nintendo_3ds_theme_featuring_trainers_and_gym_leaders.jpg

wtf this is a thing? I'd've ordered off Amazon if I knew.

does anyone not want theirs? >.>

Makonero

Since Yellow came out alongside Red and Blue (and Green in Japan) I'm assuming that the whole wireless stuff with Crystal is complicating that rerelease. I would bet money they never release Crystal on 3DS in the US.

eefara

Man, I wonder if there's gonna be any way to use Mystery Gift to get all those cool items for your room. Never got a chance to get those back in the day... Seems the chances of getting any one thing were terrible, but I'd love to try anyway.

I really remember loving GS, but for the life of my I can't remember who the heck I used other than red Gyarados and Typhlosion.

I'll grab this re-release within the next few days and I like planning my team in my head (that made Blue really fun to go through) and coming up with a team that mostly uses GS Pokemon and doesn't repeat with my original S team is... tricky.

So far it's Feraligatr...

And uhh...

I guess maybe Umbreon and Xatu? Heracross maybe? And I need an HM slave, I guess, so I'll need some random like Furret.

Edit: Just looked into Xatu and that movepool is... not great. Hmmm... Quagsire looks pretty great though. Early Earthquake is a thing.

Kyzer

Banned
I take back what I said earlier, the nostalgia is crystal clear. Just had to get out of that starter area, seen it too many times

So yeah, that Geodude you can catch in Dark Cave should make the first three gyms a lot easier, but of course I'll ignore to make this Zubat happy.

Zubat's learn set is ass by the way.

That's what I like about the early games, I played them when I didn't care about movepools and stats and personalities weren't a factor and I didn't know about the gender differences when it came to stats.

Just now noticing that a lot of my faves have terrible movepools, but that's not going to stop me.

So yeah, that Geodude you can catch in Dark Cave should make the first three gyms a lot easier, but of course I'll ignore to make this Zubat happy.

Geodude will get wrecked by Milktank's Rollout as it's a Ground move. If you want an easy time, just do the Department Store trade to get the Machop. Machop can solo Whitney without any training.

MicH

Trying to catch a Growlithe and this thing has fucking Roar.

Kill me

EDIT Oh shit, caught one right after posting that!

eefara

Whew; got lucky with getting a female Togepi. My roommate got it on his second egg; the chances of getting a female are somewhere in the 12% range.

-GJ-

I bought the boxed PAL Version, but my Celebi code is nowhere to be found 🤔. Is it supposed to be in the box?

I really remember loving GS, but for the life of my I can't remember who the heck I used other than red Gyarados and Typhlosion.

I'll grab this re-release within the next few days and I like planning my team in my head (that made Blue really fun to go through) and coming up with a team that mostly uses GS Pokemon and doesn't repeat with my original S team is... tricky.

And uhh...

I guess maybe Umbreon and Xatu? Heracross maybe? And I need an HM slave, I guess, so I'll need some random like Furret.

Edit: Just looked into Xatu and that movepool is... not great. Hmmm... Quagsire looks pretty great though. Early Earthquake is a thing.

Trying to remember my OG gold team. Typhlosion, Xatu and Sneasel are the only 3 I can recall for sure. Man I loved Sneasel :/

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man, I had forgotten how awesome the OST was. And the mythology/folklore present in the game (like Sprout Tower being built around a 100 ft tall Bellsprout) is so much fun; can't wait to get to Ecruteak~

Yeah, I really love the mythology/folklore aspect of Pokémon and throughout all the generation barring X and Y Game Freak have done a great job with that.

And uhh...

I know that feeling, it's hard creating a team in gen 2 when some Pokémon you want aren't available till late in the game with some having meh stats or pitiful move set.

Since Yellow came out alongside Red and Blue (and Green in Japan) I'm assuming that the whole wireless stuff with Crystal is complicating that rerelease. I would bet money they never release Crystal on 3DS in the US.

Never say never, we thought that the original gen 1 game wouldn't be released on virtual console due to trading and yet they did it, plus the wireless stuff was removed in the Western release so I am sure that they can figure something out for the Japanese version.

I really doubt that we won't get Crystal version with Game Freak trying erase its existence.

Still undecided on Charizard or Typhlosion...anyone have some suggestions?

They both have the same stats but Charizard has the advantage in the move set department due to being duel typing giving Charizard immunity to one type, plus he can learn dragon type moves.

Trying to remember my OG gold team. Typhlosion, Xatu and Sneasel are the only 3 I can recall for sure. Man I loved Sneasel :/

I keep getting messed up with my SoulSilver team in my head, which was actually pretty great. Togekiss, Mamoswine, Crobat, Red Gyarados, Typhlosion and Skarmory. Huge electric weakness, but Mamoswine laughs at Electric Pokemon.

Piloswine and Togetic just don't cut it like their bigger forms do.

I'm also kind of bored of Crobat. Ruby, Soul Silver and Black 2.

The dream team would have Scizor, but I don't have any way of getting him. Scyther isn't too bad, I guess, and I can get him early enough. Heracross is pretty good as well and not too late game.

Maybe I'll do

Feraligatr
Umbreon
Heracross
Quagsire
Red Gyarados (it's a tradition at this point for me)
HM Slave (Furret or Raticate or whatever)

I know that feeling, it's hard creating a team in gen 2 when some Pokémon you want aren't available till late in the game with some having meh stats or pitiful move set.
Or you get them at an obnoxiously low level. Wooper can be found early, evolves early and learns Earthquake early, but it'll be 10 levels below every trainer, so I'll have to grind to get him up to speed.

Not sure if I wanna pick this up or not. I did grab Gen 1 for the novelty, but at this point I don't really use my 3DS much and can play Gen 2 elsewhere. However, that theme is pretty tempting, and I really do hold a love for Gen 2.

eefara

My next hurdle- getting a female Onix in Union Cave. The male/female split is better than Togepi's (50/50), but there's only a 5% chance of actually finding one on the first floor. :p

EDIT: Ah, the usual "complain on a forum and it happens". Success!

EDIT2: AAAAGH. Killed it with a critical!

Macka

Just beat Falkner. So much nostalgia. The music is fantastic and I love the rustic look to the sprites.

Team so far:
fUBqPeE.gif
8Pvn8Kv.gif
XaumOdX.gif

I did the cloning glitch so I have the other two starters sitting in my box. Still deliberating over whether I should use them or not. Should probably save them for Crystal's inevitable release. And I'll be getting a fourth team member in Onix soon enough anyway.

Plasmid

Just beat Falkner. So much nostalgia. The music is fantastic and I love the rustic look to the sprites.

Team so far:
fUBqPeE.gif
8Pvn8Kv.gif
XaumOdX.gif

I did the cloning glitch so I have the other two starters sitting in my box. Still deliberating over whether I should use them or not. Should probably save them for Crystal's inevitable release. And I'll be getting a fourth team member in Onix soon enough anyway.

Don't. I can already tell with all starters I'm ZOOMING through battles. I'm trying to go slow by catching other Pokemon and grinding them but idk where to go with my team.

Spinarak becomes super OP in endgame correct? Debating on that it ghastly to gengar.

Nuzlocke Update!

Version: Silver
Badges: 1
Pokemon Died: 0
Pokemon Caught: 11

Current Team:
Chikorita (Stassi) level 9
Geodude (Dudebro) level 12
Pidgey (Coco) Level 10
Beedrill (Stabi) Level 10
Mareep (Tsuyana) level 7
Zubat (Sreek) level 4

Pokemon in Bank:
Sentret (Tren)
Gastley (Wizwick)
Togepi (Eggberta)

Thoughts so far: No ones dead yet largely thanks to Dudebro my Geodude who handed the first gym his ass. I was overleveled unintentionally the first leader only having level 7 and 9 Pokemon surprised me I had just learned Rock throw when I started the gym so I one shot both of the leaders Pokemon with 0 effort.

My team currently is starting to fill out. Mareep is a great catch and a super useful Pokemon later on, Chikorita has mostly been kept in the back but has done well so far and might make a fairly decent tank when I need one. Zubat is in my team only to fill out a spot and because I do really like Crobat so getting the happiness up while I walk around makes sense even if it won't evolve anytime soon (also why I went ahead and hatched the Togepi but its a lesser priority atm) the Pidgey is pretty much the standard flying type and the Beedrill will be useful for the moment but is likely the Pokemon I least expect to stick around very long both in terms of usefulness or in terms of managing to stay alive, if anything is going to have to take a death early on it'll be the Beedrill (sorry Stabi!)

Having a lot of fun with this run so far and made some good progress today!

I'm this close to buying Silver as well.

Is there a difference on where you buy it? I bought Gold on Amazon but I keep hearing about 3DS Themes.

eefara

Nuzlocke Update!

Nice! Keep with the updates, if you don't mind; they're really interesting to read!

I'm this close to buying Silver as well.

Is there a difference on where you buy it? I bought Gold on Amazon but I keep hearing about 3DS Themes.

You should get a Lugia theme if you buy it from the eShop, I think. Haven't tried it myself, though.

YES! Got a female Onix, thank goodness. Magmar should be my only other one I have to walk around for a while for.

Top Bottom