• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Trojita said:
Okay I was just playing Soul Silver and lmao my DS Lite broke. At first I thought my broken shoulder button broke off but then I realized I could see the electronic board inside the device.

The exact same thing just happened to my brothers laptop. Creepy.

I dunno whether to splurge on a DSi when I pick this up on friday. Still chugging along with my launch day Phat.

btkadams

i actually dig voltorb flip, but i feel like the things you can buy with the coins are way too expensive. what are the things you can ONLY get in the game corner? i wanna buy them and not waste coins on otherwise obtainable items/pokemon. my friend got a sandshrew in his pokewalker and i have an abra, is dratini only available in the game corner?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Ouch. :/ Pictures/stories like that are why I'm glad I kept my DS phat. The DS Lite isn't bad of course but it seems really fragile from what I've heard. Cracked hinges, detached screens, etc.

The DS phat though, those things are built awesomely. Ugly as hell though. How are the DSi XLs? I was hoping they'd be more like the phat than the Lite but I dunno.

Fitz

btkadams said:
i actually dig voltorb flip, but i feel like the things you can buy with the coins are way too expensive. what are the things you can ONLY get in the game corner? i wanna buy them and not waste coins on otherwise obtainable items/pokemon. my friend got a sandshrew in his pokewalker and i have an abra, is dratini only available in the game corner?

Serebii says... no that isn't the only place.

Aigis said:
The DS phat though, those things are built awesomely. Ugly as hell though. How are the DSi XLs? I was hoping they'd be more like the phat than the Lite but I dunno.

That they are, I've dropped my original silver DS all kinds of places, it's been with me around the globe multiple times, I've lost my charger and bought a new one multiple times over the years, and it's still going strong.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Aigis said:
Ouch. :/ Pictures/stories like that are why I'm glad I kept my DS phat. The DS Lite isn't bad of course but it seems really fragile from what I've heard. Cracked hinges, detached screens, etc.

Weirdest thing was that I all I was doing at the time was putting The HM Rock Smash on an Onyx when then the thing just sporadically broke.

Teknoman

Wtf, I ran into Raikou right after turning on my DS and stepping forward once. I want looking for Snubbull last night...i'm not prepared for this :lol

Trojita said:
Weirdest thing was that I all I was doing at the time was putting The HM Rock Smash on an Onyx when then the thing just sporadically broke.

Perhaps your Onyx was a bit overzealous in trying out that new move.

Hex

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
If you are lucky you'll get a Luvdics swarm and can then harvest a ton of heart scales in no time. The Pokeatlhon shop has one wednesday.

Shiny Stone!!!

Swarm?

Trojita

Jeels said:
Oh man, that DS looks hilarious. Hope Nintendo fixes it for ya.

Would they help me at all? I didn't think they would. I believe I'm out of warranty cause I've had thing for at least almost two years.

isny

napkin dispenser
Trojita said:
Okay I was just playing Soul Silver and lmao my DS Lite broke. At first I thought my broken shoulder button broke off but then I realized I could see the electronic board inside the device.

Normally I'd be really pissed off but the way it came off was just hilariously bad especially for a Nintendo Product.

I'll try and get some pictures of it up later.

Man now it's sunk in that I'll have to get a new DS. I was planning on getting an XL when it goes on sale but ughhh. FML

Nintendo will repair it for less than the cost of a new one. Just call them for prices.

You can also buy a new outer casing from DX if it's just the case that broke, and then put the guts into it.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7276
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14608
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18525

Etc.

The good thing about ordering a replacement housing, is that they have cool ones like the Final Fantasy one above.

Shiggie

Jeels said:
Gaf, opinions on Corsola?
2Be4

Teknoman

Man i've run into Tauros, Milktank, even Farfetch'd (which I didnt know you could find wild) and still no Snubbull.

On the bright side, now i've got a decent natured Tauros named Kujata :D Before its over with, combined with what i've got on Plat, I think i'll have a decent variety of monsters I want to train.

Trojita

isny said:
Nintendo will repair it for less than the cost of a new one. Just call them for prices.

You can also buy a new outer casing from DX if it's just the case that broke, and then put the guts into it.

Etc.

The good thing about ordering a replacement housing, is that they have cool ones like the Final Fantasy one above.

Just got off the phone with Nintendo. It will be $85 to fix the DS Lite. I don't know if I may want to pick up an xl and try my luck with a replacement housing on the Lite later or not. How hard is it to replace the system in a new housing?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Jeels said:
Gaf, opinions on Corsola?

Horribly outclassed in every aspect by almost every other water Pokemon. Rock/Water is a great offensive type (Kabutops), but a horrible defensive type, which is what Corsola really wants to be.

However, Corsola is an awesome Pokemon for the 'lolz because we're too cool team', along with Farfetch'd, Delibird, Luvdisc, and a few other select Pokemon.

upandaway

isny said:

Etc.

How's Dealextreme? It's so cheap I have to ask for its credibility.

isny

napkin dispenser
upandaway said:
How's Dealextreme? It's so cheap I have to ask for its credibility.

I've been ordering from them for many years with no issues. CAG should have some threads on them. They have good customer support too, so if something doesn't show up, or shows up damaged, they usually just replace it no questions asked.

In regards to moving the guts, I'd say it's not hard. You only need a triwing, and DX sells those for about a buck. You may also need a regular screwdriver for some of the screws inside, but really, it's not hard.

kzn

Neo Member
Have people been sufficiently exposed to the Voltorb Flip 'strategy' or should I write a huge nerdpost blatantly plagiarized from someone smarter than me so people don't have to try to gind 10k coins on pure RNG?

upandaway

kzn said:
Have people been sufficiently exposed to the Voltorb Flip 'strategy' or should I write a huge nerdpost blatantly plagiarized from someone smarter than me so people don't have to try to gind 10k coins on pure RNG?
Well whatever you said I'd like to know how to get coins, yes.

What level would you guys recommend I evolve Vulpix into Ninetails? Mine is level 33. Looking at its moves learned by leveling, I don't see much that stand out, but I thought I should ask.

kzn said:
Please do. I love huge nerdposts.

kzn

Neo Member
Wall of Text:

First, the disclaimer: Unless I have missed something, which I doubt, most of the sets you will see after levels 1 and 2 cannot be resolved without guessing at some point. Sometimes, and more commonly as the levels increase, you will be faced with sets that are impossible to even get started on without a fairly low-odds guess.

That said, none of the guesses are completely unguided, and the first two levels are typically completely solvable. The general idea relies on the fact that you do not need to expose anything but 2s or 3s to max your reward and clear a board, so the 'value' of flipping a square with a 1 is essentially identical to the value of flipping a Voltorb.

The way this works is to render some rows/columns 'dead', in the sense that none of the squares on them will increase your ability to win.

Thus, at the start, especially on early sets, you will be faced with at least one row that is either dead or completely safe. Dead rows (without having flipped anything on them yet) are rows where the row/column numbers total to 5 (i.e. 4 total/1 voltorb, 3/2, 2/3, and so forth). Safe rows are obvious (no voltorbs). A 5 total/0 voltorb row is essentially dead, but it takes less work to flip the whole thing than it does to mark it as dead so you might as well flip it.

So, to start with, mark any row that is dead with whatever memo you like, and you can safely ignore that row/column for the rest of the game. This will leave you with either a row/column of flipped squares or one/two dead rows. In the former case, you generally have a better shot at winning than in the latter.

In the former case, you will hopefully have flipped a 2 or 3 (or, if you're really lucky, multiples/both). Any row/column in which you have flipped a 2 or a 3 needs to be re-checked to see if there is any way that row/column can contain another 2 or 3 - if it cannot, it is dead. So, for example, if you flip a 3 on a 6/1, that row needs to get 3 more to reach the total, and it needs a Voltorb, in 4 remaining squares - so it is dead, because it must be 1/1/1/Voltorb. Likewise, a 2 on a 5/1 renders that row dead. A 2 on a 6/1 does not help, and so forth.

In the latter case, and/or if you flipped a 2/3 but it didn't render a row dead, you need to guess to get started. The highest probability guesses are where high-total/low-voltorb rows intersect with high-total/low-voltorb columns (a 7/1 intersecting with a 9/1, for example). None of these guesses will ever be perfect, which is where the frustration comes in - you will flip Voltorbs on your first flip sometimes, and it will piss you off.

This will generally get you a sufficient number of flips on most sets that you wont be reset to a lower level (you get reset to Level X where X is the number of squares you flipped until you flip more than your current level). On later levels, you will typically end up faced with guesses midway through the game and very late.

In some cases, you can further narrow guesses down by figuring out if a row/column needs, say, a 3 somewhere but the column/row you are planning on intersecting it on cannot work with a 3. I am not, however, sold on how effective this is given the time it took me at least - if you aren't good at mental arithmetic, you should probably just ignore this until later levels. Getting reset to level 1 from 2 isn't a big deal, but from level 6 it is.

This will relatively consistently allow you to get to levels 5-6, where the coin winnings are sufficient to make quick progress towards high coin totals.

One thing to avoid is falling into the trap of treating Voltorbs identically to 1's - you will still run into cases where you can establish that a given square must be a Voltorb, and it is worth checking if that covers all the Voltorbs on the intersecting rows/columns - but this is quite rare.

One thing I am not sure about is the efficacy of guessing based on intersections of high totals, or intersections of low Voltorbs - the general rule of thumb I ended up following was to guess at intersections of low Voltorbs when I was at risk of resetting to a lower level, and to guess at intersections of high totals in all other cases.

If anything above needs clarification I'll try.

Echoes

Thanks a lot, kzn. That's great.

A Quiet Skorupi; any good?

Edit: let me guess; since it raises SpAtk and lowers Spd it's not good for him, am I right? I also have the Battle Armor ability, so double fail...

Jokey665 said:
I dunno if this has been posted or not yet, but for those of you who need some help with Voltorb Flip: http://voltorbflip.lanowen.com/voltorb.php

Thanks a bunch dude. Awesome link.

Kad5 said:
So how is Hypno? Im considering capturing this drowzee and raisng it to become a hypno.

Eh... mine has been lackluster to say the least. I'd rather have a Gengar/Kazam. However, he does hit decently on both sides of the spectrum, and he is sturdy enough to set up screens for the tougher battles.

edit: It actually learns Nasty Plot at level 55. That makes it potentially stronger than Alakazam, Slowbro, and Gengar.

With Hypnosis/Nasty Plot/Psychic/Focus Blast (or Shadow Ball) he can be a fine sturdy sweeper.

where is the person that takes Heart Scales? Blackthorn?

upandaway

EzLink said:
Second Lugia I captured was Timid! Usually it takes a whole lot longer. Hooray
Don't worry, for that luck you will waste twice as long as usual on the next legendary. That's just how it works.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Fuck yeah, League Champ.

Typhlosion lv39
Togekiss lv39
Sudowoodo lv37
Espeon lv39
Gyarados lv39
Dragonair lv37

I make it to the champ with only 1 revive left and think "Well, shit." Used 2 X Attacks, 1 X Speed, a Dire Hit, and pretty much everything else in that item pocket on Gyarados to steamroll him. If there was ever a time to use those items, it was now.

vid

Out of curiosity, has anyone else been recording their Pokewalker step statistics? Seems like it'd be an interesting thing to share in the thread.

Day 1 - March 14 - 10,139 Steps
Day 2 - March 15 - 8,761 Steps
Day 3 - March 16 - 6,642 Steps
Day 4 - March 17 - 10,817 Steps
Day 5 - March 18 - 6,921 Steps
Day 6 - March 19 - 9,871 Steps
Day 7 - March 20 - 7,608 Steps

Day 8 is almost over and I haven't even crossed 3,000 yet... clearly I've been slacking off today.

Poyunch

I totally laughed at the fact that I just met Raikou when I started up my gaming and was surfing on some water. That was extremely lucky and it's sort of funny imagining meeting Raikou in middle of a body of water. :lol

Too bad I was so underpowered and probably too slow. I've met both Entei and Raikou and why is it I can somehow paralyze them before they leave? In the original versions you had to be fast enough to even land a hit.

vid said:
Out of curiosity, has anyone else been recording their Pokewalker step statistics? Seems like it'd be an interesting thing to share in the thread.

Day 1 - March 14 - 10,139 Steps
Day 2 - March 15 - 8,761 Steps
Day 3 - March 16 - 6,642 Steps
Day 4 - March 17 - 10,817 Steps
Day 5 - March 18 - 6,921 Steps
Day 6 - March 19 - 9,871 Steps
Day 7 - March 20 - 7,608 Steps

Day 8 is almost over and I haven't even crossed 3,000 yet... clearly I've been slacking off today.
Ehh it's a Sunday. My average has been around 13,000 (with a whooping 23,000 yesterday alone), but today I have 2,700.

Top Bottom