• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Thanks SixFourtyFive for the TM3 recommendation. Steamrolled the Steel Gym with the Qulava. :lol

In the mountain going to Mahogany (I think). I'm sure I can surf across the ponds and skip this, but I need to train Muscle as backup to Scyther and Qulava.

I like Slowking, but the one I trained was less of a sweeper and more of a special wall.

Slowking @ Light Clay
Surf
Ice Beam
Light Screen
Slack Off

He also looks really cool.

Fusebox

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
I totally laughed at the fact that I just met Raikou when I started up my gaming and was surfing on some water. That was extremely lucky and it's sort of funny imagining meeting Raikou in middle of a body of water. :lol

Same! Used my first surf this morning and found Raikou in a lake. My highest Poke was lvl 21 and Raikou was 40, so I'm glad he pissed off instead of wiping my party at least.

Maccas

Metroid Killer did a great job selling it to me.

SixFourFive wrote an awesome post on the mechanics.

I was all excited, then realised it doesn't come out for 3 days, boo.

I'll just live vicariously through you guys.

Kad5 said:
which is better. Hypno, Slowking, or espeon?

It depends. Espeon will make a fearsome sweeper, but is generally outclassed by Alakazam. Hypno has bulk, and access to nasty plot/hypnosis. Slowking also has bulk, and I think he even has access to nasty plot. However, I don't think he learns it from level up, and I have no idea where you plan to get a King's Rock.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The music in this game is ridiculously good. I mean, wow. It's like they're pushing MIDI to it's absolute limits and then some. :lol

kzn said:
In the former case, you will hopefully have flipped a 2 or 3 (or, if you're really lucky, multiples/both). Any row/column in which you have flipped a 2 or a 3 needs to be re-checked to see if there is any way that row/column can contain another 2 or 3 - if it cannot, it is dead. So, for example, if you flip a 3 on a 6/1, that row needs to get 3 more to reach the total, and it needs a Voltorb, in 4 remaining squares - so it is dead, because it must be 1/1/1/Voltorb. Likewise, a 2 on a 5/1 renders that row dead. A 2 on a 6/1 does not help, and so forth.

To add to this, some simple arithmetic:

If a row/column isn't a "dead" one from the beginning (i.e. the 5/0, 4/4, 3/2, 2/3, 1/4, 0/5 varieties), figure out the number of "extra values" in that row/column.

Value # + Voltorb # - 5 = the amount of extra value in that row/column

If you have a extra value of 1, that means there's a 2 in there somewhere. If there's an extra value of 2, you either have one 3 or two 2s in that row/column. And so on and so forth.

So in the bolded example with a 2 on a 6/1, you know there's one more 2 lurking in that row/column.

Fusebox

Banned
Andrex said:
The music in this game is ridiculously good. I mean, wow. It's like they're pushing MIDI to it's absolute limits and then some. :lol

Agreed, the piano piece when you enter the National Park is my fave so far. I just put the DS down and let the whole piece play out.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fusebox said:
Agreed, the piano piece when you enter the National Park is my fave so far. I just put the DS down and let the whole piece play out.

I'm more talking about the battle themes, they're really getting my blood pumping.

Johto Gym Leader, Rival's, Team Rocket, Lance, and Kanto Gym Leader themes are just... incredible.

As much as I love Pokemon, Phoenix Wright's compositions are absolutely amazing. But this is coming from a guy with a Godot avatar. Don't mind me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Pewter
Cerulean
Vermillion
[Celadon
Saffron
Fuschia]
Cinnabar
Viridian

[The ones in square brackets can be done out of order]

I hope you mean RBY or Fire Red and Leaf Green, because that's a fairly crazy order for the game being discussed in this thread.

In that game it's basically every gym in any order except Viridian then Viridian last, with the general order usually being:

Vermillion
Saffron
Celdaon
Cerulean
Pewter
Fuschia
Cinnabar
Viridian.

Dogenzaka

Banned
If anybody doesn't care about competitive or hardcore Pokemon, would they be willing to trad me their Entei for mine? Mine has a nature I don't like.

Andrex said:
I've always been partial to this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXQikehHagk

Oh hey, my friend Mark (Fairuzons) made that. He's an incredible songwriter/composer/guitarplayer/musician. He's actually going to school for music composition, and wants to be a game composer, so hopefully we'll see professional works from him later in games. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dogenzaka said:
If anybody doesn't care about competitive or hardcore Pokemon, would they be willing to trad me their Entei for mine? Mine has a nature I don't like.

Oh hey, my friend Mark (Fairuzons) made that. He's an incredible songwriter/composer/guitarplayer/musician. He's actually going to school for music composition, and wants to be a game composer, so hopefully we'll see professional works from him later in games. :p

I don't know any of his other stuff but tell him his Red battle remix has at least one fan. :p

I probably like the opening most of all. Really sets the tone.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Andrex said:
I don't know any of his other stuff but tell him his Red battle remix has at least one fan. :p

I probably like the opening most of all. Really sets the tone.

You should look up his stuff on YouTube, ( http://www.youtube.com/user/fairuzonss ) song-writings, game mixes, etc. He wrote some "fake" songs for a Final Fantasy XIII Versus OST and they are awesome. He does lots of game remixes, original songs, etc. And I think he might have done more Pokemon songs :p

Here's the Versus XIII song actually
http://www.youtube.com/user/fairuzonss#p/u/21/ZlZIk65ipi8

I hope he makes a good remake of the Dark Cave theme someday. Such an awesome GSC song.

Zilch

Banned
Any decent remixes that DON'T feature chugging wank-metal? Hella gross.

edit: i don't want to hear 300bpm over-arpeggiated techno either! these two shitty genres are the only things videogame nerds understand!

Lucario

PokeWalker progress:
Day 1: 155 steps
Day 2: 12,563 steps
Day 3: 11,101 steps
Day 4: 9,961 steps
Day 5: 9,511 steps
Day 6: 9,016 steps
~3000 watts. Love this thing x3

WTF

I'm at the Dragon Elder guy and took his little quiz. I also have an empty slot in my party but he won't give me
my Dratini
! Don't tell me I have to exit the Den and come back again.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Lucario said:
PokeWalker progress:

Very similar for me. I walk between 9k and 10k per day.

Bii

Lucario said:
PokeWalker progress:

Damn, I need to walk more...

Day 1: 154 steps
Day 2: 6,106 steps
Day 3: 4,936 steps
Day 4: 1,162 steps (yesterday, lounged around at home)
Day 5: 6,632 steps <- stayed home as well, had my lady walked around with it ^_^

Total: 18,990 steps

Man God said:
I hope you mean RBY or Fire Red and Leaf Green, because that's a fairly crazy order for the game being discussed in this thread.

In that game it's basically every gym in any order except Viridian then Viridian last, with the general order usually being:

Vermillion
Saffron
Celdaon
Cerulean
Pewter
Fuschia
Cinnabar
Viridian.
I do mean RBY and FRLG. I just assumed that once you beat the Elite 4, you had access to every Kanto gym from the get go.

ReiGun

PounchEnvy said:
I totally laughed at the fact that I just met Raikou when I started up my gaming and was surfing on some water. That was extremely lucky and it's sort of funny imagining meeting Raikou in middle of a body of water. :lol
:lol The same thing happened to me. It was hilarious. I'm like "Shouldn't he, like, short circuit or something?"

My Magnemite finally evolve into Magneton. Anyone with a working DPPt cart wanna evolve it into Magnezone for me (unless there is some way to do it in SoulSilver)?

timnich

Can anyone help me trade a few pokemon from my platinum cart to soul silver? Just have a few things left to trade over and finally found a new electirizer to finally evolve my electabuzz.

Also, I've been training a slowpoke to evolve to slowbro. Should I just evolve it to slowking instead?

If you tell me how to evolve magneton, I can do it for you. Can you help me with my trade? :D

Axis

timnich said:
Can anyone help me trade a few pokemon from my platinum cart to soul silver? Just have a few things left to trade over and finally found a new electirizer to finally evolve my electabuzz.

Also, I've been training a slowpoke to evolve to slowbro. Should I just evolve it to slowking instead?

If you tell me how to evolve magneton, I can do it for you. Can you help me with my trade? :D

i can help you dude i need to move a few pokemon myself...just pm me if you want

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Sabrina just stomped me harder than anyone else so far. Espeon used Calm Mind and just tore through everyone on my team, all of them ~12 levels lower than it. 6-0, GGPO.

Anth0ny said:
The best remix to arguably the best song in the history of Pokemon games. Gotta love it :D
RBY champion theme sucks. It's just all over the place and a total mess. One of my least favorite tracks in that game and probably my least favorite champ theme.

I am apparently the only person who feels this way.

Anth0ny

Sixfortyfive said:
RBY champion theme sucks. It's just all over the place and a total mess. One of my least favorite tracks in that game and probably my least favorite champ theme.

No, I agree.

GSC champion theme, on the other hand, is one of the best :D

Sixfortyfive said:

I agree with you on the FireRed/LeafGreen versions. It doesn't sound that way to me for the original Game Boy renditions though. I'd love to hear an orchestral performance of that piece, I highly doubt it would be a cacophonous mess.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well I think I'll just get a replacement DS Lite instead of spending all of my money right now on a msrp priced DSi XL. If I was to get a DSi XL I'd really have to buy a Gen 2 GBA SP or a GBA Micro.

So it comes down to getting my system sent in and then repaired for a total of $85 or getting a replacement refurbished DS Lite sent out as soon as possible for $94.50. I'd feel bad about my current broken DS Lite though as funny as that seems :lol

I didn't really want to take the risk of using a housing from DX but if I went the later route, for about $105 altogether, I would have potentially two working DS Lites.

I'm just kind of wary of the DX housing and the materials they use. They appear to be at times in the reviews as shoddy or of different material.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anth0ny said:
No, I agree.

GSC champion theme, on the other hand, is one of the best :D
I didn't like the GSC champion theme at first. It's grown on me. Just the right amount of tension.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I agree with you on the FireRed/LeafGreen versions. It doesn't sound that way to me for the original Game Boy renditions though. I'd love to hear an orchestral performance of that piece, I highly doubt it would be a cacophonous mess.
FRLG version sounds just like I imagined it would: still as messy as ever, just with GBA instruments.

The RBY champ battle was such an anticlimax for me the first time through. "What the hell is wrong with the music? And why does Gary look retarded now?"

kzn said:
Well, I'm apparently underlevelled for Lt. Surge -.-

Back to grinding the Elite 4.
Yeah, I was expecting kind of a breather post-E4 with slightly lower leveled trainers. Not really happening.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
kzn said:
Well, I'm apparently underlevelled for Lt. Surge -.-

Back to grinding the Elite 4.

Surge can definitely be a pest if you don't have a Ground Pokemon. His Pokemon are all fast and hit hard.

timnich

timnich said:

Anyone else able to help me? I wasnt able to connect with Axis for some reason.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I hate that they reused music, though (Blackthorn and something else...Olivine and Violet City...) was it that way in the original GSC? Every town in DPP has a different song, I believe.

Top Bottom