• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Echoes

Metroid Killer said:
You may not have the EV equipment, but there's also the Pokerus, the virus that will spread among pokemon and double the EV points they take in. I can give you a pokemon with Pokerus and then you can spread it among your pokemon yourself.
I would love one, please.

Axis said:
no problem i still have a few larvitars left if anyone wants them
I would love one, too.

Thing is, I'm at work (GMT+3, 12 PM in my area), and I will finish after 7 hours. Is that good for you guys? Or wanna make it tomorrow at this time?

Echoes said:

I would love one, too.

Thing is, I'm at work (GMT+3, 12 PM in my area), and I will finish after 7 hours. Is that good for you guys? Or wanna make it tomorrow at this time?
I'm in Europe so that'll be perfect for me (it'll be around 7-8 in the evening for me). Anything else that you need/want, I got lots of items and pokemon as well. Japanese pokemon that will get 1.7 in experience!

Axis

Echoes said:

I would love one, too.

sure, just PM me and if i'm on i'll respond pretty fast.

if you're looking for a specific nature then let me know as well

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know, I must admit, this game now punishes people who "overlevel" a single mon. XD

Should I save my Master Ball to Mewtwo, or Ho-oh, or any of the fleeing mons?

Balb

Ookami-kun said:
You know, I must admit, this game now punishes people who "overlevel" a single mon. XD

If you have Heart Gold then I'd save the master ball for Lugia. It's the hardest Pokemon to catch in the game by far.

Fuck. I dont know how i survived this long without a Fire Pokemon but i am incredibly screwed at this ice gym. I cant rely on a single move to get me out of it lik ei did with rock smash in the metal gym : (

Ookami-kun said:

What do you mean? As in mainly just having one main pokemon being levels above the other in your team, rendering them useless because they are so low level?

Use Speed Balls for the fleeing monsters, Dusk Balls for cave monsters. I don't think I'll use a Master Ball, maybe on Mewtwo but not after getting him down to 1 HP.

Gravijah

After I go through Victory Road and beat the Elite Four today I'll be making Cyndaquil eggs for a friend and anyone else who wants 'em.

Fugu

Balb said:
If you have Heart Gold then I'd save the master ball for Lugia. It's the hardest Pokemon to catch in the game by far.
Mewtwo is the same level and has the same catch rate (shit fucking bonkers).

Balb

Fugu said:
Mewtwo is the same level and has the same catch rate (shit fucking bonkers).

I only say Lugia is the hardest because of its moveset, not to mention Pressure.

It has 3 5 PP moves (Aeroblast, Punishment and Ancientpower) and Safeguard.

This means that once it's done using its 3 attacks, it'll use Safeguard over and over again.

As someone who uses hypnosis to catch Pokemon, this was extremely frustrating. The combination of Pressure and Safeguard really hurt your chances of catching it.

Echoes

Metroid Killer said:
I'm in Europe so that'll be perfect for me (it'll be around 7-8 in the evening for me). Anything else that you need/want, I got lots of items and pokemon as well. Japanese pokemon that will get 1.7 in experience!
Hm. I would love an Electivire to accompany my Togekiss. Of course, I'm not that rude. I just want a fine Electabuzz (or Elekid to evolve him later to Buzz? Whichever you think is better). Don't wanna trouble you with the required item for his evolution; I will look out for it later. I know GAF is generous and someone can give me Electivire with no sweat, but I wanna feel the sense of accomplishment upon EV-training him and all. All I ask for is an Electabuzz with a good nature (as you know, I'm clueless about good natures -_-). If you want; surprise me and attach two items (your choice) to the PKRS and Electabuzz. I don't have anything in mind. I wish I can repay all of this :-\ I really feel bad for just "taking" and not giving anything to anyone in this thread.

Axis said:
sure, just PM me and if i'm on i'll respond pretty fast.

if you're looking for a specific nature then let me know as well
As I said above, I know none about natures, so give me whatever you think is good.

Really, thanks a lot guys. The game is a lot of fun because of this thread. Early on, Jokey gave me two awesome eggs and now I'm having a blast with Venusaur and Garchomp. And now this? Lord. I love GAF.

Ah it's no problem at all! And gaf helped me alot in the beginning as well, so this is my way of paying it back :D Sorta like a pay it forward movement. Also it seems like with the Pokemon games, the more time you've used on the games the easier it'll be to get all the different stuff.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Fuck. I dont know how i survived this long without a Fire Pokemon but i am incredibly screwed at this ice gym. I cant rely on a single move to get me out of it lik ei did with rock smash in the metal gym : (
Actually a Fire pokemon will have some troubles as well since many of the Ice critters have Water as their second type. Electric is where it's at!(or a fighting pokemon)

Yay I now have the perfect(maybe?) Pokemon Catcher, mainly to be used to hunt those Legendaries:

Parasect.jpg

lvl 43
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Effect Spore
Moveset:
Spore
False Swipe
Swords Dance
X-Scissor

I caught a Brave (+ attack, - speed) Snorlax on my second attempt. He was a fairly easy catch thanks to dusk ball. He has replaced Hypno as my special wall. I seriously love him. The thing nearly took down my Ho-oh in one go with Giga-Impact. I can't wait to steamroll most of the E4 with him :D

I sadly wasted my Master Ball on Ho-oh. Lugia/Mewtwo are thankfully in caves so with enough dusk balls I can catch them. I kind of wish I had saved the master ball for one of the runners. It would make things far easier.

Eteric Rice

Should I evolve my Croconaw now, or later? He's level 35, and none of his upcoming moves seem worth holding out for....

I was thinking of holding out until Superpower, but dunno if it's worth it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Metroid Killer said:
Yay I now have the perfect(maybe?) Pokemon Catcher, mainly to be used to hunt those Legendaries:

Parasect.jpg

lvl 43
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Effect Spore
Moveset:
Spore
False Swipe
Swords Dance
X-Scissor
ev44yf.png

Don't worry I already caught him! :lol Though Moltres is gonna be a bitch as well, but I'm obviously gonna use another catcher for it.

But since so many legendaries are psychic, X-scissor is gonna be really useful.

trinest

OMG Aero said:
Jynx has been purple since the English release of the original Gold and Silver because people said it was racist.
What? Serious *googles* oh god the design just looks awlful now. Rasist or not the black design was better.

Gravijah

CoolS said:
That's stupid as hell anyway -.-

Why is it stupid? It looked very similar to certain racist caricatures of black people.

ravien56 said:
So how far into this game until the poke walker can be used?

Whenever you put a Pokemon into your PC, it'll become available on the main menu.

fisheyes

Just reached the game corner and was baffled by this Voltorb Flip thing. Then I read kzn's guide. Its great. Cheers to you, kzn.

I got some technical questions regarding the DS since I'm pretty new to this piece of hardware(got a DSi last xmas).

When you close the lid and the DS goes into sleep mode, will the game's playtime still keep tiking?

What is a good way to clean the screens(especially the touch screen), they've gotten really dirty already, and I'm pretty careful around the DS as well. It also seems like there are a lot of tiny scratches which you wont notice when the light is turned all the way up, but I would have thought it wouldn't get scratched so easily from just using the stylus?

Balb

Metroid Killer said:
I got some technical questions regarding the DS since I'm pretty new to this piece of hardware(got a DSi last xmas).

When you close the lid and the DS goes into sleep mode, will the game's playtime still keep tiking?

What is a good way to clean the screens(especially the touch screen), they've gotten really dirty already, and I'm pretty careful around the DS as well. It also seems like there are a lot of tiny scratches which you wont notice when the light is turned all the way up, but I would have thought it wouldn't get scratched so easily from just using the stylus?

The clock doesn't run when the DS is closed.

ravien56

Gravijah said:
Why is it stupid? It looked very similar to certain racist caricatures of black people.

Whenever you put a Pokemon into your PC, it'll become available on the main menu.
Hey so maybe im doing something wrong but I just deposited 2 pokemon and still nothing...do I need to get to a specific point in the game?

Gravijah

ravien56 said:
Hey so maybe im doing something wrong but I just deposited 2 pokemon and still nothing...do I need to get to a specific point in the game?

Save, and go to the actual main menu, where you choose to load/etc.

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
I use a normal LCD cleaning kit but with a softer, thinner cloth than for normal LCD screens.
I also discovered my official stylus gave me scratches and I had no idea how people could bear to use that thing, but then my friend got a third party stylus as a gift and I saw it was much softer and never gave any scratches.

Kletian

God, the Fighting Gyms wont stop kicking my ass, Miltank has nothing on this fucking Polywrath. I suppose it doesnt help that I don't have a psychic type, but I didnt want to rely on an Alakhazam this time around like I've done on every other Pokemon I've played.

Feraligator lvl 30
Magmar lvl 30
Kangaskhan lvl 27
Dratini lvl 24
HM whore
Empty spot that I can't figure out what I want to level. I want to start something but damn grinding a new pokemon to 30 without an XP share...

upandaway

Kletian said:
God, the Fighting Gyms wont stop kicking my ass, Miltank has nothing on this fucking Polywrath. I suppose it doesnt help that I don't have a psychic type, but I didnt want to rely on an Alakhazam this time around like I've done on every other Pokemon I've played.

Feraligator lvl 30
Magmar lvl 30
Kangaskhan lvl 27
Dratini lvl 24
HM whore
Empty spot that I can't figure out what I want to level. I want to start something but damn grinding a new pokemon to 30 without an XP share...
No flying type?

You know, you're gonna need fly
right after the gym anyway
(hope this is not a spoiler because there's a lady right outside the gym telling you this), so might as well get a flying type to help you with the gym.

xSL4INx

Is it just me, or has anyone else realized that when you fight the rival at the
rocket hideout
he laughs and says
why so serious?
when he's down to his last pokemon? :lol

Anyway, finishing up that part with the following pokes:

Gyarados Lv. 32
Umbreon Lv. 32
Jirachi Lv. 33
Donphan Lv. 32
Typhlosion Lv. 36

Kletian

upandaway said:
No flying type?

You know, you're gonna need fly
right after the gym anyway
(hope this is not a spoiler because there's a lady right outside the gym telling you this), so might as well get a flying type to help you with the gym.

Yeah I figured at this point I'm just gonna have to suck it up and level something, might as well be my Pidgey.

Also, in a moment of being completely stupid, I gave surf to my Feraligator, A winner is me.

Gravijah

Kletian said:
Yeah I figured at this point I'm just gonna have to suck it up and level something, might as well be my Pidgey.

Also, in a moment of being completely stupid, I gave surf to my Feraligator, A winner is me.

Togepi is another good choice, I've been saving my spot for an Aerodactyl though.

Ookami-kun said:

Whoa. Wait, wait, wait. Mewtwo is catchable in HG/SS? Are the Gen1 starters available in game, too?

beje

Banned
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Whoa. Wait, wait, wait. Mewtwo is catchable in HG/SS? Are the Gen1 starters available in game, too?

Aside from the bunch of version exclusives (usually normal pokémon) and a handful of event-based legendarys, you can get pretty much everything in these games, starters and legendarys from other editions included.

beje said:
Aside from the bunch of version exclusives (usually normal pokémon) and a handful of event-based legendarys, you can get pretty much everything in these games, starters and legendarys from other editions included.
That's right, but not having D/P/Pt really makes it hard to get a lot of legendaries. There's no way for me to get all the Regis, Lake Guardians, Manaphy and Phione, Heatran, Cresselia just to name a few.

But otherwise HGSS is filled to the brim with Pokemons.

Kletian

Aha, I forgot I had an Elekid in my box from the Pokewalker. Looks like I'm leveling up an Elctabuzz and a Pidgeot to rock the rest of the gyms with.

Gravijah

I don't feel very comfortable about my teams chances versus the E4 at all

currently (grinding these all up to 45)

Gengar Confuse Ray/Sucker Punch (About to finally change it to Dark Pulse)/Curse/Shadow Ball

Thinking of giving him Sludge Bomb to replace Confuse Ray

Typhlosion Strength/Flame Wheel/Smoke Screen/Flame Thrower

He has a nature raises his ATK and lowers his DEF in game, so I ended up putting Flame Wheel on him, too. I'm looking to get rid of that and add something else, but I don't have any ideas.

Slowking Confusion/Yawn/Strength/Surf

He has Strength from when I was going to fight Lugia and didn't want Typhlosion in my party. I only replaced Headbutt, anyways. I need a better Psychic attack and something else.

Ampharos Tackle/Signal Beam/Discharge/Thunder Wave

Tackle is just for whittling down Pokemon I want to catch. Otherwise he seems fine.

Lugia for backup.

Hmm...

ravien56

So I got the poke walker up and running and I just got a few questions. How are you guys using this thing? Reading a FAQ, it says that the pokemon stored can only level up once then you gotta transfer and then re-transfer? Also, it said that if a pokemon levels up and when he levels up, water gun is learned, you're pretty much fucked and you'll miss this ability?

Gravijah

ravien56 said:
So I got the poke walker up and running and I just got a few questions. How are you guys using this thing? Reading a FAQ, it says that the pokemon stored can only level up once then you gotta transfer and then re-transfer? Also, it said that if a pokemon levels up and when he levels up, water gun is learned, you're pretty much fucked and you'll miss this ability?

You can re-learn the ability MUCH later. I mostly use it to catch new Pokemon or to get items. Or well I was, but now I'm just trying to get better Pokewalker courses.

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
Well it's defintely gonna be tough for you, especially against the champion. Even Lugia may not be able to save you.

Yeah, I'm gonna give it a shot, see how that goes, and then scream crying. But seriously, I need to fill some holes... Any ideas?

Top Bottom