• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

cvxfreak

Completely agree with swerve.

Playing Diamond and then Soul Silver is so jarring. Diamond feels archaic. Platinum improved some of these aspects, but HGSS's overall engine is highly polished.

swerve said:
Picked mine up at lunchtime. Constant stream of customers picking it up (pre-order only - totally sold out otherwise and pre-orders stopped in this store a few weeks back).

Somehow it feels more polished than even Platinum. First impressions after an hour's play are that the experience seems oddly more like a home console game. The addition of simple touches like no loading to get to the upstairs in the pokemon center, the upstairs section of the professor's place, the sounds of the sea, the way the old man runs around... it's all levelled up in polish.

And no need to hold run down? Awesome.

Basically, with the
gb player
I can safely say, this is the best Pokémon game ever.

upandaway

swerve said:
Picked mine up at lunchtime. Constant stream of customers picking it up (pre-order only - totally sold out otherwise and pre-orders stopped in this store a few weeks back).

Somehow it feels more polished than even Platinum. First impressions after an hour's play are that the experience seems oddly more like a home console game. The addition of simple touches like no loading to get to the upstairs in the pokemon center, the upstairs section of the professor's place, the sounds of the sea, the way the old man runs around... it's all levelled up in polish.

You give me hope that GameFreak will start innovating in the next iteration.

It seems like they practically perfected everything.

Travado

The Slowdown has been completely removed now in comparison to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?

I know that Platinum has less slow than Diamond/Pearl, but it's still there.

And how is the battle speed, slow as always?

OMG Aero

shykyoichi said:
I only tried transfers from Platinum. Given myself an Elekkid, Alakazam and Aerodactyl to boost my Team (which is basically only Totodile). Waiting to get Eevee to evolve to Umbreon (for tank) and then I'm good. XD

No good pokemon within sight (NO to Mareep, Zubat, Ekans, Bellsprout, Geodude, Sentret, Hoothoot, Pidgey and Rattata). =/
Oh no you didn't.

celebi23 said:
Best part about the
GB Player? GameFreak made quite a few NEW GB-style tracks. (Pokéthlon, etc) :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi4MSt1Nwtk#t=1m15s
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3571/1252674750862.jpg

Listening to the awesome new music now (someone ripped & is in the process of tagging it

http://forums.ffshrine.org/showthread.php?t=69410

Fuck, I can't wait until Spring 2010 >_<

We really did get another RGBY/FRLG remake with this. GameFreak really did go all out on this :D

And just like that, this game became twice as amazing. And it was already pretty amazing. It is the little touches like this that make me excited for this game. With fan service like this, I wonder if older Pokemon fans who have left the series will get this game. This game pretty much has everything.

lyre

Chorazin said:
Best Pokemon game ever CONFIRMED!
And you know what's the greatest feature of the entire damn game?! Drag and fucking drop monster sorting interface!, ie a feature that should be in the game from the get-go!

Chorazin

lyre said:
And you know what's the greatest feature of the entire damn game?! Drag and fucking drop monster sorting interface!, ie a feature that should be in the game from the get-go!

Excuse me while I go and clean up the mess in my pants now.

womp

I'm a bit behind...

How does the included pedometer play into this? Does it actually allow leveling of Pokemon or is it more of a mood changing thing depending on time spent 'traveling'?

I'm hardly a Pokefreak (I was 25 when it originally came out :p ) but this whole concept sounds awesomely compelling especially since I am on my feet all day at work.

I think for an added cherry on top, it would be amazing to
switch the Kanto music between the RBY and GSC versions :lol.

But I guess that's asking for too much of what is ultimately a FUCKING AWESOME GAME.

EzLink

Banned
I absolutely hate this :( Why must NOA take so fucking long? Reading all of these impressions and details (and hooooooooooollllllllllyyyyyyy shit at the
GB Player
) is making me absolutely insane with anticipation. Yet we still have at least half a fucking year :/

EzLink said:
I absolutely hate this :( Why must NOA take so fucking long? Reading all of these impressions and details (and hooooooooooollllllllllyyyyyyy shit at the
GB Player
) is making me absolutely insane with anticipation. Yet we still have at least half a fucking year :/
I hate it too. But translating things correctly, takes a long time. Nintendo likes to do things right.

upandaway

rainer516 said:
Apparently Giovanni is in the game, dunno why though seeing as how he wasn't in the originals.
Yeah I saw the sprite thing, but it makes no sense. The whole point of GSC's story is that Giovanni disappeared.

Anyone knows where he is in the game?

zumphry

Banned
swerve said:

Wow, much needed change. Maybe we'll start off with them in Generation V, and not have to do a fetch quest of sorts to get them..

lyre said:

Best Pokemon game ever confir-

cvxfreak said:
Completely agree with swerve.

Playing Diamond and then Soul Silver is so jarring. Diamond feels archaic. Platinum improved some of these aspects, but HGSS's overall engine is highly polished.

cvxfreak
HOLY FUCKING CRAP
(Today, 08:24 AM)

Someone make sure to thaw me out a week before the US launch, if even that early. Thanks.

rainer516 said:
Apparently Giovanni is in the game, dunno why though seeing as how he wasn't in the originals.

Given that the Rocket plot in the original GSC was an incredible let down that went nowhere, this can only mean good things. Maybe there will actually be story resolution this time.

zumphry

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Given that the Rocket plot in the original GSC was an incredible let down that went nowhere, this can only mean good things. Maybe there will actually be story resolution this time.

I'd be fine with something like what FireRed/LeafGreen did. It ended(well, the Rocket story) with a secret Rocket base trying to find Giovanni, just like what they were trying to do in G/S/C(and pretty much leading up to the story in HeartGold/SoulSilver/the Original Second Generation). Maybe we'll see HeartGold/SoulSilver end the Rocket story with something that leads up to whatever happens in Generation V(or III, or IV maybe). That'd be pretty cool(to me).:D

upandaway

ZayneH said:
I'd be fine with something like what FireRed/LeafGreen did. It ended(well, the Rocket story) with a secret Rocket base trying to find Giovanni, just like what they were trying to do in G/S/C(and pretty much leading up to the story in HeartGold/SoulSilver/the Original Second Generation). Maybe we'll see HeartGold/SoulSilver end the Rocket story with something that leads up to whatever happens in Generation V(or III, or IV maybe). That'd be pretty cool(to me).:D
Gen 3 happens during Gen 1 canon-wise, doesn't it? And Gen 4 during Gen 2? That leaves it to 5 then.

Y'know what, whatever. I digress. I'm done with fucking timeline discussions.

zumphry

Banned
upandaway said:
Gen 3 happens during Gen 1 canon-wise, doesn't it? And Gen 4 during Gen 2? That leaves it to 5 then.

Y'know what, whatever. I digress. I'm done with fucking timeline discussions.

Yeah, it does happen like that. So Gen V it is(though, in the Manga, doesn't Giovanni fund, or help out Magma, Aqua, and Galactic, or just Magma and Aqua? Seems like the dude is just..everywhere.).

Then again, it's Pokemon, so they could just have him travel through time, or something. It's not like it's Zelda, that makes my head hurt. :lol

upandaway

ZayneH said:
Yeah, it does happen like that. So Gen V it is(though, in the Manga, doesn't Giovanni fund, or help out Magma, Aqua, and Galactic, or just Magma and Aqua? Seems like the dude is just..everywhere.).

Then again, it's Pokemon, so they could just have him travel through time, or something. It's not like it's Zelda, that makes my head hurt. :lol
Don't bring the manga into this now! It's a totally different beast. Things are all sorts of crazy there.

This could all be solved if someone generous with the game just said what the hell is going on with Giovanni.

zumphry

Banned
upandaway said:
Don't bring the manga into this now! It's a totally different beast. Things are all sorts of crazy there.

This could all be solved if someone generous with the game just said what the hell is going on with Giovanni.

But what about the Anime, or the other Mangas? Come on! We can figure this out! Yeah, it'll be fun! :lol

Glad to see them putting him in the game, though. Maybe if they remake any other games they can add things in that are needed/wanted(doubtful now, plus those are years off if they do remake any other games).

nli10

lyre said:

Possibly not in the very first generation of games, but yeah - finally upgrading is great.

Still skipping this - I'm burnt out on Pokemon after Diamond & Plat.

kman3000

upandaway said:
Yeah I saw the sprite thing, but it makes no sense. The whole point of GSC's story is that Giovanni disappeared.

Anyone knows where he is in the game?
In the past according to Serebii.

And by that I mean you actually travel back in time.

Now that game freak already release the new pomemon generation,the enhanced version and the remakes and theres no sign of a new portable system what they will do with a team of 60 guys ?

Wilsongt

Blackbird| said:
Now that game freak already release the new pomemon generation,the enhanced version and the remakes and theres no sign of a new portable system what they will do with a team of 60 guys ?

Start working on Pokemon Mind Crystal. (Heart, Soul, Mind... Bah.)

Holy crap at the
Giovanni event.

On the one hand, I don't like how he wants to join Team Rocket again. He was supposed to have reformed, right?

On the other hand, I just love how they integrated time travel so that you're kicking Giovanni's ass AT THE SAME TIME that you're kicking the rest of Team Rocket's asses :lol :lol :lol

Also, it has him talking to Silver? Silver's father confirmed?

Surgeon Isa

Neo Member
Blackbird| said:

There's the DSi. They should pull a Crystal Version with it. But what to improve?

If they did DSi-enhanced for the next gen, that would follow on nicely from G/S being Game Boy Color-enhanced. (Only Crystal required the GBC to play)

spidye

I don't know if I am getting this right.
so you travel back in time to battle giovanni? why?
and didn't the guy from red/blue beat giovanni in the gym 3 years ago?
If I remember correctly after you beat giovanni he went on missing and never see him again.
someone please help me

spidye said:
I don't know if I am getting this right.
so you travel back in time to battle giovanni? why?
and didn't the guy from red/blue beat giovanni in the gym 3 years ago?
If I remember correctly after you beat giovanni he went on missing and never see him again.
someone please help me

If I understand it correctly:

You get sent back to when the Rockets hijack the Goldenrod Radio Tower and send out the signal. You fight Giovanni to prevent him from responding to the signal. (You couldn't do this at the time because you were freeing the Goldenrod Tower, but the you that's been sent back is free to fight Gio.)

This explains why Giovanni never responded to the signal. It also explains where he's been - training to improve after Red beat him...

zumphry

Banned
Tranced Shadow said:

You get sent back to when the Rockets hijack the Goldenrod Radio Tower and send out the signal. You fight Giovanni to prevent him from responding to the signal. (You couldn't do this at the time because you were freeing the Goldenrod Tower, but the you that's been sent back is free to fight Gio.)

This explains why Giovanni never responded to the signal. It also explains where he's been - training to improve after Red beat him...

Now, what about Celebi? Is he/she a Wi-Fi event, or do you encounter one during the game?

Jeeze, huge wall of hidden text.

spidye

Tranced Shadow said:

HOLY.MOTHER.OF.GOD
thank you so much. it all makes sense. 10 years later I get the answer why giovanni wasn't there in pokemon gold/silver

OMG Aero

Tranced Shadow said:

Oh God time paradoxes.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
SleepyJohn11 said:
Someone has videos of him fighting all the gym leaders, Elite 4, and Red on his Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=solracnaujchile&view=videos

It's crazy to see a shitload of pokemon all being available in this game, I'm pretty psyched to get 3 starters in one game.
Ah, nice. The Elite Four get a Platinum/FRLG style boost later in the game. Good thing too, as the GSC E4/Gym leaders seem to have been the most pathetic in the entire series.

Lance finally has a team that looks deserving of a Champion!

Tranced Shadow said:

Nice, that's awesome.
It finally answers exactly why Sakaki never appeared during the original GSC, and it gives us a chance to beat him down again. Awesome!

They've really outdone themselves compared to FRLG, where it didn't feel like they changed all that much.

ubiblu

The cave where Giovanni is said to have been residing is right of the starting town. Once you have all 8 badges and are on your way to Victory Road, you go along the bottom right most route, and go through a cave. There, you will see two waterfalls. You walk underneath the left-most of the two (cave entrance hidden behind waterfall). Inside you see the empty room with a few rocks and a radio. You character mentions how wierd it is to find a lone radio and nothing else...

I ran into this room last night myself, so now it makes perfect sense. There are actually hints leading up to this wi-fi event...awesome.

Top Bottom