• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Gravijah said:
Yeah, I'm gonna give it a shot, see how that goes, and then scream crying. But seriously, I need to fill some holes... Any ideas?
Ampharos is defintely a good mon to have on your team. Mamoswine worked great as a 'dragon hunter' on my team, his immunity against electric was very welcomed, and you don't have Ice or Ground on your team.

Balb

Gravijah said:
I don't feel very comfortable about my teams chances versus the E4 at all

currently (grinding these all up to 45)

Gengar Confuse Ray/Sucker Punch (About to finally change it to Dark Pulse)/Curse/Shadow Ball

Thinking of giving him Sludge Bomb to replace Confuse Ray

Typhlosion Strength/Flame Wheel/Smoke Screen/Flame Thrower

He has a nature raises his ATK and lowers his DEF in game, so I ended up putting Flame Wheel on him, too. I'm looking to get rid of that and add something else, but I don't have any ideas.

Slowking Confusion/Yawn/Strength/Surf

He has Strength from when I was going to fight Lugia and didn't want Typhlosion in my party. I only replaced Headbutt, anyways. I need a better Psychic attack and something else.

Ampharos Tackle/Signal Beam/Discharge/Thunder Wave

Tackle is just for whittling down Pokemon I want to catch. Otherwise he seems fine.

Lugia for backup.

Hmm...

Fortunately you can just keep facing the elite four until your team is powerful enough to take them.

I'd lose curse though on Gengar...

Damn I have the worst luck finding fossils or heart scales using rock smash. Only get shards and annoying battles! Are the fossils just very rare, or do you need to do something before you can find them with rock smash?

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
Damn I have the worst luck finding fossils or heart scales using rock smash. Only get shards and annoying battles! Are the fossils just very rare, or do you need to do something before you can find them with rock smash?

They're just very rare, because I found one with about 4-5 badges. I think I'm gonna add Flygon to my team. STABed EQ/Dragon Claw AND he can learn Fly.

ravien56 said:
So should I bother levelling up pokemon with it? I'm just worried im gonna miss out on an important ability.
Well it's kind of a hassle to transfer the pokemon back and forth all the time. The pokewalker works better for getting pokemon happy, finding rare pokemon and items.

Wiseblade

Gravijah said:
They're just very rare, because I found one with about 4-5 badges. I think I'm gonna add Flygon to my team. STABed EQ/Dragon Claw AND he can learn Fly.
I'f you're realy desperate to win you could just take the pokemon with the most varied moves and pump them full of Xattack/Xspeed etc on something that can't kill them and just sweep. ¬.¬

Chorazin

Gravijah said:
You can re-learn the ability MUCH later. I mostly use it to catch new Pokemon or to get items. Or well I was, but now I'm just trying to get better Pokewalker courses.

I thought any moves that should have been learned at the level obtained in the Pokewalker are just learned the next level instead?

Gravijah said:
They're just very rare, because I found one with about 4-5 badges.
Damn so right now, from my break of grinding pokemon, I'm now grinding after items, and I just got done grinding the pokeathlon....
Ibp57.gif

Chorazin said:
I thought any moves that should have been learned at the level obtained in the Pokewalker are just learned the next level instead?
Negative

Bii

Gravijah said:

Wow, fossils are rare?

I didn't even know. I was at the Ruins of Alph and just rock smashed my second rock. Got a Helix Fossil from it.

Gravijah

Does anyone have a Pokemon from the Flygon family level 45 and under? All I can find in Pearl are 50+ which sorta feels like cheating, and I don't want to spend my time leveling one up from 1 either. :lol

Gravijah said:
Does anyone have a Pokemon from the Flygon family level 45 and under? All I can find in Pearl are 50+ which sorta feels like cheating, and I don't want to spend my time leveling one up from 1 either. :lol
You can get a lvl 44 Vibrava from the Safari Zone... if you have had the Desert Area to be active for at least 20 days... Fucking useless time system stupid safari zone!!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Fuck. I'm getting into the "planning my team instead of playing the game" stage already, and I'm only on my second badge. I could just get amnesia and enjoy this magic for what it was! Maybe a Pokewalker walk will clear my head and get me out of this craziness.

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
You can get a lvl 44 Vibrava from the Safari Zone... if you have had the Desert Area to be active for at least 20 days... Fucking useless time system stupid safari zone!!

Somebody has to have had that done around here... Right? :lol

Edit: Trapinch in the early 20s in Emerald... Well, guess that'll have to do.

Machine

Gravijah said:

I've got an extra Trapinch or two but I'm at work right now. If you still need one in 9-10 hours, I can help.

Gravijah

Machine said:
I've got an extra Trapinch or two but I'm at work right now. If you still need one in 9-10 hours, I can help.

Thanks for the offer but I think I'm gonna train up one from Emerald. Speaking of... HOLY FUCKING SHIT I FORGOT HOW FAST EMERALD IS

Metroid Killer said:
*cough* Me actually, but I only caught one :( and then switched the area out because I needed pokemon from another area...

When you switch it back in the time doesn't still count?

Gravijah said:
When you switch it back in the time doesn't still count?
Nope :( And I hate it for that! If you have an area that needs to be active for 20 days for certain pokemon to appear, if you then switch it out (and then in again) after a couple of days, then you have to wait 20 days again (insert dawson cry gif)... And 20 days is nothing compare to other areas in the SF... some need 60, 70, 80 fucking 110 days (who's going wait this long???)

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
Nope :( And I hate it for that! If you have an area that needs to be active for 20 days for certain pokemon to appear, if you then switch it out (and then in again) after a couple of days, then you have to wait 20 days again (insert dawson cry gif)... And 20 days is the one of the shortest time needed... areas with 60, 70, 80 fucking 110 days (who's going wait this long???)

-winces-

Yay! found the claw fossil, it only took me an hour -_-. I decided it was the very last time I went in there (the Cliff Cave) to rock smash, and at the very last rock it was finally there! yay! now on to Ruins of Alph -_-

Edit: Yeah I'll just repeat myself and say that it's insane how much stuff there is to do

upandaway

Lyphen said:
Fuck. I'm getting into the "planning my team instead of playing the game" stage already, and I'm only on my second badge. I could just get amnesia and enjoy this magic for what it was! Maybe a Pokewalker walk will clear my head and get me out of this craziness.
The math game is extremely fun. I don't get why people try to specifically avoid their secret desire to calculate things.

Just relax, open Bulbapedia and start planning. It's not like you have to play the main quest just once.

Edit: Wait, why can't you just fast forward the DS clock? It doesn't work? The cartridge doesn't have a clock does it?

Gravijah

upandaway said:
The math game is extremely fun. I don't get why people try to specifically avoid their secret desire to calculate things.

Just relax, open Bulbapedia and start planning. It's not like you have to play the main quest just once.

Just getting Pokemon with cool IVs is fun for me. Now I'm actually going to use them.

I wasn't aware you could get fossils from this until the second rock I smashed in the Ruins of Alph revealed an Old Amber.

On an unrelated note, there's seriously no way to speed up the time for the rarer safari zone pokemon? (I'm aware there's probably some DS clock trickery, but any other way?)

There are probably some ways to trick the time in the Safari Zone, I seem to recall some japanese dude doing it, the same with Serebii and staff, but still, why design it to take 100 days to get a Gible in the Safari Zone?

People with the game who want a Gible will either 1)Trade with friends, 2)Not get a Gible because after 100 days they'll most likely be done with the game. It really baffles me...

Lkr said:
where is the pokeathlon at?
North of Goldenrod City, next to the National Park.

upandaway

Lkr said:
where is the pokeathlon at?
Left from the south National Park entrance.

Metroid Killer said:
There are probably some ways to trick the time in the Safari Zone, I seem to recall some japanese dude doing it, the same with Serebii and staff, but still, why design it to take 100 days to get a Gible in the Safari Zone?

People with the game who want a Gible will either 1)Trade with friends, 2)Not get a Gible because after 100 days the have most likely be done with the game. It really baffles me...
Shooting in the dark here, but could be something with Gen 5. Making people come back to the game 100 days later in time to get hyped for the release.

thefil

Bii said:
Wow, fossils are rare?

I didn't even know. I was at the Ruins of Alph and just rock smashed my second rock. Got a Helix Fossil from it.

The very first rock I broke had a fossil. I thought it was supposed to be there...

Gravijah

Trapinch, Adamant, Lv.20 - HP: 53 (27/0) | Atk: 53 (22/0) | Def: 28 (27/0) | Sp.Atk: 21 (7/0) | Sp.Def: 29 (30/0) | Spd: 15 (30/0) | Hidden Power: 70, BUG

ALRIGHT, GOOD TO GO

Btw. I received Superior Silver a couple of days ago. It's great to be able to play it in english. Although I feel like I'm missing a testicle without Heart Gold :(

Gravijah

Dabookerman said:
Btw. I received Superior Silver a couple of days ago. It's great to be able to play it in english. Although I feel like I'm missing a testicle without Heart Gold :(

What you lose in testicles, you gain in vagina. And we all know womenly parts are superior.

Fugu

Gravijah said:
Yeah, I'm gonna give it a shot, see how that goes, and then scream crying. But seriously, I need to fill some holes... Any ideas?
At level 44, you can make a Gyarados with the following: Bite/Ice Fang/Waterfall/Dragon Dance (and if you can trade over an Earthquake TM, you can replace Bite with that). this moveset is capable of single-handedly destroying basically the entire Elite Four, particularly if Gyarados has any EV training on him (252 attack 252 speed 4 def). And with the rest of your team ready to play backup, you shouldn't have any problems.

Okay, I've got SuckySilver coming to me from Amazon on Wednesday, so I'll be able to bring in the bastard child to play along with his ultimately superior older brother, a Japanese copy of HeartGold.

I'm really happy that play-asia came through with my Arceus, Ho-Oh, and Lugia figures from the pre-order, or I would have been REALLY low on cash right now. Can't wait to play through the 2nd Gen for like the 100th time. Can't wait to create yet another kickass team, too, haha.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I was desperate after a Fire Pokémon to put in my team, and then today I found a Ponyta in a new route on my PokéWalker.

I love this thing.

This is getting weird, I'm looking for an Electabuzz on route 10, there's a 10% chance that a wild electabuzz will appear(according to both serebii and bulbapedia), but I think I've run away from at least 30 spearows and voltorbs now.. damn

edit: Well, right after I hit reply an Electabuzz pops up :lol
eidt: two in a row :lol

Gravijah

I forgot you can't run away from the E4... Now I'm fighting them on my Pearl to level up my Trapinch. :lol Don't I lose half my money if I lose?

Metroid Killer said:
This is getting weird, I'm looking for an Electabuzz on route 10, there's a 10% chance that a wild electabuzz will appear(according to both serebii and bulbapedia), but I think I've run away from at least 30 spearows and voltorbs now.. damn

edit: Well, right after I hit reply an Electabuzz pops up :lol
eidt: two in a row :lol

That would ALWAYS happen to me. I remember looking for a Chansey back in the original GS, and after about 30 minutes of searching, I ran into 5 in a row...it was glorious.

Gravijah said:
I forgot you can't run away from the E4... Now I'm fighting them on my Pearl to level up my Trapinch. Don't I lose half my money if I lose?

Yeah, you lose money unfortunately. Not that much though. Mom bank that stuff or buy a lot of Full Restores/Revives/Max Potions...they help a lot in the E4.

Gravijah said:
I forgot you can't run away from the E4... Now I'm fighting them on my Pearl to level up my Trapinch. :lol Don't I lose half my money if I lose?

Nope. Not anymore. You only lose the same amount that you would win.

Eg. if you were to win 5000 in a match, but lost, you lose 5000.

Tbh, that's not the important thing. The most important thing you lose, is your dignity.

Gravijah

Dabookerman said:
Nope. Not anymore. You only lose the same amount that you would win.

Eg. if you were to win 5000 in a match, but lost, you lose 5000.

Tbh, that's not the important thing. The most important thing you lose, is your dignity.

I lost all dignity when I walked in with a team of: Mewtwo, Heatran, Giratina, Rayquaza, Trapinch. I don't plan on losing on purpose, just... after I get what I want.

cdyhybrid

Any quicker way to get my Eevee's happiness up? I want to turn it into Umbreon soon if possible. Can only do the haircut thing once a day, and I don't have the cash to spam it with vitamins. It's carrying a Sooth Bell. I could put it in the Pokewalker but I'm off the next two days so I probably won't be doing much walking...

Echoes

Just got back home :D

Metroid Killer, Axis

Any of you ready?

BTW Metroid Killer, I would use a spare Shiny Stone if you don't mind.

cdyhybrid said:
Any quicker way to get my Eevee's happiness up? I want to turn it into Umbreon soon if possible. Can only do the haircut thing once a day, and I don't have the cash to spam it with vitamins. It's carrying a Sooth Bell. I could put it in the Pokewalker but I'm off the next two days so I probably won't be doing much walking...
Either cycle up and down through Goldenrod City, or buy lots of potions and take it to the earliest routes and heal it a lot from small scratches from wild pokemon. Everytime you heal +1 happiness.

Echoes said:
Any of you ready?

BTW Metroid Killer, I would use a spare Shiny Stone if you don't mind.
Actually I'm trying to get a Modest Electabuzz right now, but I get every other nature but Modest :lol Sorry out of shiny stones.

Top Bottom