• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

upandaway

Well I can't seem to find a Feebas, so I figured, if I post on GAF about how bad my luck is, it will shoot up.

I mean hey, it worked for other people.

Firestorm

upandaway said:
Well I can't seem to find a Feebas, so I figured, if I post on GAF about how bad my luck is, it will shoot up.

I mean hey, it worked for other people.
I got a couple dozen in my Pearl version. Do you have Chikorita or Totodile? :D
btkadams said:
ugh haha. the dratini i have has thunder wave but its level 23. got a long way to go! oh well, ill do other things as i do it.
If you have a Quick Claw, equip that on your Dratini and restart until Dratini goes first and paralyzes?

"Pokemon without soft-reset isn't Pokemon"

Fusebox

Banned
I let my Abra evolve too soon and now he's a lvl 23 Kadabra with NO attack moves. Transport, Attract, Disable and Miracle Eye dammit... :lol

I caught the red gyarados this morning though and he looks tits walking behind me. Stoked.

upandaway

Firestorm said:
I got a couple dozen in my Pearl version. Do you have Chikorita or Totodile? :D
I have both but they're on my friend's save right now. Plus, I decline any help, I wanna get all 493 on my own (although I may cave in for a DeepSeaTooth if worse comes to worst).
Just put it up in the trade thread for now and I'll shoot you up tomorrow if you get no one else.

Firestorm

Vanille said:
Firestorm, I'll give you a Chikorita if you promise not to use Scizor. :p
I'm not gonna use Scizor competitively. I'm not delving into that again this time! It's for my in-game team =P I remember using Scizor when I was 12.

timnich

If anyone is up for a quick battle let me know. I want to see how my platinum team fares outside the game. FC is 2021 1536 7440.

Just bought HG earlier today, holy shit I forgot how addictive Pokemon was. The last Pokemon game I bought and played was Red when that came out what 10+ yrs ago? :lol

btkadams

Square Triangle said:
Just bought HG earlier today, holy shit I forgot how addictive Pokemon was. The last Pokemon game I bought and played was Red when that came out what 10+ yrs ago? :lol
what is with you people? lol i've bought one from every gen. admittedly, i barely told anyone i bought any of them after the gold/silver gen haha.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Haha it's like people were like "Pokemon Red was so good. I won't buy another Pokemon game for 10 years." xD

Glad you got joined our nation of addicts, though.

Firestorm

Vanille said:
Okay, I guess that's good enough. :p I'll be able to trade in like 30 mins. I'll PM you when I'm ready.
yay :D chikorita egg rather than chikorita please >.>; I want it to listen to me :lol

Dogenzaka said:
Hey guys is there a Pokemon or Item I can use to get Lugia to be a certain nature?
Get a Pokemon with Synchronize (Ralts, Abra, etc) of the nature you want as the first Pokemon in your party.

btkadams

my dratini has the ability, shed skin. when i train it into dragonite, will it lose that ability? it shows on serebii that dragonite has a different ability that makes it so you dont flinch. the shed skin ability is like the best i can even think of a pokemon having! i dont want it to goooooooo

upandaway

Something ingenious just occurred to me. Gyms need to replenish all your health after every fight.

Hell, they don't even need to do that. Just put a health machine near the leader. Saves me the trip of going back and forth to the Center when doing a gym underleveled.

upandaway

Square Triangle said:
Am I missing something here?
You're like the 51st guy in the thread to say what you said. Suddenly all of these didn't-play-since-Red people show up!
I wouldn't be surprised if this was true across the whole world and if it played a big part in the games' sales.

Firestorm

btkadams said:
my dratini has the ability, shed skin. when i train it into dragonite, will it lose that ability? it shows on serebii that dragonite has a different ability that makes it so you dont flinch. the shed skin ability is like the best i can even think of a pokemon having! i dont want it to goooooooo
Yes :(

Dogenzaka

Banned
Firestorm said:
yay :D chikorita egg rather than chikorita please >.>; I want it to listen to me :lol

Get a Pokemon with Synchronize (Ralts, Abra, etc) of the nature you want as the first Pokemon in your party.

...:l So I have to go looking for Abras with Synchronize AND a Timid nature now? That will take forever. Can I just hatch Abra eggs with Ditto?

By the way what's the thing I use to cut egg steps in half?

Square Triangle said:
It was ten years for Gold/Silver. I think closer to 13-4 for red/blue.

^
Magbaby/magmar
Slugma and whatever his evo is

Firestorm

Dogenzaka said:
...:l So I have to go looking for Abras with Synchronize AND a Timid nature now? That will take forever. Can I just hatch Abra eggs with Ditto?

By the way what's the thing I use to cut egg steps in half?
Yeah, if you make a Timid Ditto hold the everstone and breed it with a male Abra you should be able to hatch a Timid Abra 50% of the time.

Why Timid though? Isn't that +speed, -atk or something? I thought Lugia was more of a defensive Pokemon?

upandaway said:
You're like the 51st guy in the thread to say what you said. Suddenly all of these didn't-play-since-Red people show up!
I wouldn't be surprised if this was true across the whole world and if it played a big part in the games' sales.

Ah I see, I was kind of pushed into getting it from my co-workers. Totally a satisfied purchase though, brings back memories of chilling at the bus stop and dominating Pokemon =P

Dogenzaka

Banned
Firestorm said:
Yeah, if you make a Timid Ditto hold the everstone and breed it with a male Abra you should be able to hatch a Timid Abra 50% of the time.

Why Timid though? Isn't that +speed, -atk or something? I thought Lugia was more of a defensive Pokemon?

Smogon tells me to get Timid D:

But what do I use to lower the amount of steps I need for eggs to hatch...

Nayishiki

Dogenzaka said:
Smogon tells me to get Timid D:

But what do I use to lower the amount of steps I need for eggs to hatch...

You need a Pokemon with Flame Body/Magma Armor to lower the amount of steps to hatch eggs.

Fusebox

Banned
btkadams said:
what is with you people? lol i've bought one from every gen. admittedly, i barely told anyone i bought any of them after the gold/silver gen haha.

Because up until a few weeks ago when I bought my DSi LL I haven't owned a Nintendo handheld since my GBA Milky Pink.

Firestorm said:

Read your site's analyses, Mr. Smogon mod :p

The faster speed allows it to stall out Stone Edges or Reflect before Groudon/Garchomp smacks it.

Firestorm

Yeah, yeah, I just looked it up =p Yeesh. I know less about the metagame than most of you now okay. I didn't even find out Scizor was an overpowered, broken, most used pokemans in the game until a month or two ago.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, I'm going to ask again as "Route 44" is wrong.

Where is a good route, before the eighth Johto gym/Victory Road where I can grind more than 200 EXP a pop off wild pokemon for Swinub?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I put a level 5 male pidgey up on the GTS, asking for a female bulbasaur of any level/location. Hopefully someone is willing to hook me up :lol

timnich

TheSeks said:
So, I'm going to ask again as "Route 44" is wrong.

Where is a good route, before the eighth Johto gym/Victory Road where I can grind more than 200 EXP a pop off wild pokemon for Swinub?
The patch of grass outside the safari zone. At least that's where I did alot of my training. There are wild glooms and Taurus there that give more than 200 exp, i'm pretty sure.

Does anyone else press left + A or some other combination when throwing a pokeball? It's a habit I picked up from the days of fake red/blue cheats that I can't seem to shake after all this time. I even tried doing it on the pokewalker :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
Jet Grind Radio! said:
I had an Onix w/ Rock Throw AND a Rattata with Rock Smash and I was OBLITERATED. Still need to grind. My team of Pokés is <17. =[

Well Geodude having Rock Smash means you can endure her Rollouts since it's weak against Miltank, and in the meantime dish out Fighting-type moves :p

timnich said:
Does anyone else press left + A or some other combination when throwing a pokeball? It's a habit I picked up from the days of fake red/blue cheats that I can't seem to shake after all this time. I even tried doing it on the pokewalker :lol
I used to up until this game. I maybe used it like 3 times or so. I do however press "A" when an attack lands to get more damage. Fuckin' Mario RPG.

Dogenzaka said:
Well Geodude having Rock Smash means you can endure her Rollouts since it's weak against Miltank, and in the meantime dish out Fighting-type moves :p
Oh, yea? Hmm...my Geodude is around level 3. I don't know if I want to try grinding it up. :lol

Axis

Johnlenham said:
I allways read holding B helps and have done it without fail since Blue :lol

Haha. I was always told up+B and i can't stop myself from doing it after playing pokemon for so long. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
timnich said:
The patch of grass outside the safari zone. At least that's where I did alot of my training. There are wild glooms and Taurus there that give more than 200 exp, i'm pretty sure.

Guess I'll try there. Grinding it from 22 to 44 for Blizzard doesn't seem too appealing.

timnich

If that doesn't work, you can always just give it an exp share, put it first in your party, face a higher level pokemon and swap it out. The exp share should give it a higher amount of exp than it would get just by swapping it.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Jet Grind Radio! said:
I used to up until this game. I maybe used it like 3 times or so. I do however press "A" when an attack lands to get more damage. Fuckin' Mario RPG.

Oh, yea? Hmm...my Geodude is around level 3. I don't know if I want to try grinding it up. :lol

Yeah, and woops I meant Miltank is weak against Geodude.

upandaway

timnich said:
Nah, ever since I started multitasking Pokemon I stopped doing it. For how slow paced the games are, I'd rather also do homework or something on the way, and it helped me stop holding A and then adding Up when the Pokeball hits the Pokemon.

So many different methods, none of them work.

Axis

alright so i'm looking for a 6th pokemon for my party...here's what i have right now

Ninjask: scratch/swords dance/cut/substitute (learns baton pass at 45 and with sub+speed boost i should be able to successfully pass swords dance without too much trouble)

Tyranitar: crunch/earthquake/stone edge/brick break

Absol: sucker punch/swords dance/x-scissor/taunt

Starmie: rapid spin/psychic/surf/waterfall

Togekiss: Fly/air slash/aura sphere/extrasensory(will breed for nasty plot eventually)

any suggestions?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
jman2050 said:
I hate Voltorb Flip, and I hate the amount of hours I've poured into it already.
holy god yes it's like a demented cross between card flipping and picross

Top Bottom