• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jokey665 said:
You can buy the Blizzard TM from Goldenrod for 5,500... Just sayin'.

Yeah, but I need it to be level 40+ to stand a chance in Claire's/Dragon's gym. That's why I'm raising it. It has the ability to up evasion in Snowstorms as well, so that's double good. :lol

Vanille

Axis said:
alright so i'm looking for a 6th pokemon for my party...here's what i have right now

Ninjask: scratch/swords dance/cut/substitute (learns baton pass at 45 and with sub+speed boost i should be able to successfully pass swords dance without too much trouble)

Tyranitar: crunch/earthquake/stone edge/brick break

Absol: sucker punch/swords dance/x-scissor/taunt

Starmie: rapid spin/psychic/surf/waterfall

Togekiss: Fly/air slash/aura sphere/extrasensory(will breed for nasty plot eventually)

any suggestions?

You might want to look into Heatran/Infernape. Skarm currently walls your entire team. Also why does your Starmie know Waterfall? Do you mean Surf? o.o

Axis

Vanille said:
You might want to look into Heatran/Infernape. Skarm currently walls your entire team. Also why does your Starmie know Waterfall? Do you mean Surf? o.o

lol it knows both...using them in game and having more than one water pokemon is annoying =/

as i don't have heatran/infernape...would houndor/houndoom work as well?

Unicorn

I'm trying to think of a build for my kecleon because i really want him on my team, but my head goes crazy since he is always changing types when hit.

Is it worth the trouble?

Blizzard

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
holy god yes it's like a demented cross between card flipping and picross
Someone just showed me a cheat sheet, and while it's a nice sequence of stuff, I had already come up with a bit of sequencing and most of it just seemed kind of logical to me.

The one thing that makes me sad is that it's not like (well-formed) sudoku, since you can make a layout that has the whole board matching the numbers, but it won't be right because there will be multiple possible combinations. :(

Also, does anyone else think it's kind of weird/creepy that the entire game corner consists of one guy (plus prize people), behind a table, for anyone to come in and get free coins from? If they were going to do that, why not like, two games? Or anyone else in the entire city coming in for the free money? :lol

TUSR

Banned
I've been wondering about rare candies...

I hope someone can answer this; do rare candies level your pokemon up normally, same stat gain etc. I know you would be getting EVs from it, but can you make those back up later?

I am slightly confused. And the lucky egg, where can I get a clefary with one?

TheSeks said:
Yeah, but I need it to be level 40+ to stand a chance in Claire's/Dragon's gym. That's why I'm raising it. It has the ability to up evasion in Snowstorms as well, so that's double good. :lol

I did Claire with a 35 gyarados and a 35ish amphros. Ice fang/discharge wrecks shit!

Vanille

Axis said:
lol it knows both...using them in game and having more than one water pokemon is annoying =/

as i don't have heatran/infernape...would houndor/houndoom work as well?

Oh, whoops, didn't see that. Yeah, HM slaves are annoying but they're a necessity. You can just grab a Dragonite for your flying/waterfalling needs.

And Houndoom is pretty good, but it's kind of redundant with Starmie/Togekiss there. To add some balance to your team you could just replace Extrasensory with Flamethrower.

Saw this on 4chan and got a laugh out of it.
1269527749636.png
[/IMG]

Quick Q, is anyone available to trade me a Poke(doesn't matter which one) holding a Leaf Stone?

I'll give you...uh...a Piplup for it.
[edit]Ach, will try at later time.

I...I...I lost to the Elite Four. Bruno kept Cross chopping me. D:

I need to train, my highest level Pokemon is 41. I thought I could wing it and get through with items. Anyone know any good training spots? I remember in the originals I spent hours in Victory Road but I'd rather not do that.

And what the hell, where did all the trainers go in Victory Road?

Squire Felix said:
I've been wondering about rare candies...

I hope someone can answer this; do rare candies level your pokemon up normally, same stat gain etc. I know you would be getting EVs from it, but can you make those back up later?

I am slightly confused. And the lucky egg, where can I get a clefary with one?
Rare candies level up your Pokemon normally. They get the same stat gains as wild pokemon, pokemon left in the Day-Care centre, pokemon leveled via the pokewalker as well as trained pokemon (minus the EVs, obviously which make all the difference).

Luckily, you can EV train at any time, provided you trigger the function to recalculate your pokemon's EV stat boosts. This function is called when:

- Your pokemon levels up
- You use a stat reduction berry

If you get a level 100 rare-candied-up pokemon that has never seen a battle you can still EV train it, but you need to alter your procedure (because it'll never level up again). What you do is gain one EV in a stat you don't want, then EV train as normal. When you're done EV training, give your pokemon a berry to reduce the unwanted EV to zero. It'll trigger the EV boost function and you'll get your EV stat boosts in all your other stats.

The result (of the berry trick) is that you'll never "officially" max out your EVs, but one EV probably won't make one lick of difference to your stats anyway.

For pokemon of levels 1 - 99, you can EV train, then level up once and you get the stat boost.

Maximus.

i just spent a lot of time getting all the starters by trading between pearl and gold. Anyways, just wondering if its worth it for my "mom" to save money or should i just say no?

edit: just read up on it, going to let her save my money.

Jokey665

Fraull said:
i just spent a lot of time getting all the starters by trading between pearl and gold. Anyways, just wondering if its worth it for my "mom" to save money or should i just say no?
Here is a list of the things she can buy for you. If you think those items are worth it, go for it; if not, don't.

TheSeks

Johnlenham said:
I did Claire with a 35 gyarados and a 35ish amphros. Ice fang/discharge wrecks shit!

If you have sped on your side, you have nothing to worry about, I guess. I don't. The first gym person in there wipes the floor with Swinub in one hit.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Johnlenham said:
Yeeeeeessssssssssss.

Fraull said:
While she has wasted my money on a lot of useless shit, she has also given me a Choice Scarf, Focus Sash, and Moon Stone. Those will be useful.

Axis

Vanille said:
Oh, whoops, didn't see that. Yeah, HM slaves are annoying but they're a necessity. You can just grab a Dragonite for your flying/waterfalling needs.

And Houndoom is pretty good, but it's kind of redundant with Starmie/Togekiss there. To add some balance to your team you could just replace Extrasensory with Flamethrower.

so togekiss can learn flamethrower? that'll solve it lol...i used dratini/dragonair/dragonite for the first 8 badges so i'm trying to stay away from them. thanks for the input tho! i've never really tried most of these pokes so i wanted to see how good they are(hell, this is the first game i've EVER used scyther/scizor as well)

TUSR

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Rare candies level up your Pokemon normally. They get the same stat gains as wild pokemon, pokemon left in the Day-Care centre, pokemon leveled via the pokewalker as well as trained pokemon (minus the EVs, obviously which make all the difference).

Luckily, you can EV train at any time, provided you trigger the function to recalculate your pokemon's EV stat boosts. This function is called when:

- Your pokemon levels up
- You use a stat reduction berry

If you get a level 100 rare-candied-up pokemon that has never seen a battle you can still EV train it, but you need to alter your procedure (because it'll never level up again). What you do is gain one EV in a stat you don't want, then EV train as normal. When you're done EV training, give your pokemon a berry to reduce the unwanted EV to zero. It'll trigger the EV boost function and you'll get your EV stat boosts in all your other stats.

The result (of the berry trick) is that you'll never "officially" max out your EVs, but one EV probably won't make one lick of difference to your stats anyway.

For pokemon of levels 1 - 99, you can EV train, then level up once and you get the stat boost.
You sir, know a lot about Pokemon and I thank you for this. So all I have to do if I use a few rare candies I picked up along the way is just to drop that stat with berries and it will balance itself out. But I can never truly max out that stat by just a few points.

Squire Felix said:
You sir, know a lot about Pokemon and I thank you for this. So all I have to do if I use a few rare candies I picked up along the way is just to drop that stat with berries and it will balance itself out. But I can never truly max out that stat by just a few points.
Basically. Any one pokemon can only have a maximum of 510 EVs distributed across all stats, but each stat is capped at 255. Thus, if you have a purely physical attacker, the best thing to do is max out Atk at 252 (I'll explain why in a minute) and dump the rest into something like Spd or Def/Sp.Def.

Another thing to note is that it takes 4 EVs in any stat to raise that stat by one point. Thus, a cap of 255 EVs in Atk yields 63.75 total points extra in Atk. Since the 0.75 won't be added to your Atk, it's better to just gain 252 EVs (63 points exactly) and just put the rest elsewhere. This way, in total, you can gain 510 EVs, but in reality, only the first 508 EVs will "count" toward your stat total (hence you being able to not worry about that one EV).

TheSeks

"Hello! This is Professor Oak. You're catching a lot of Pokemon aren't you?"
(click!)
... ... ...

Now I remember why I hate the phone in this game. :lol

Does anyone happen to have a spare Growlithe? I don't care the nature and EV's really. I just need a fire type. If I'd have known I couldn't get him in SS I would have picked up HG.

TheSeks

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Does anyone happen to have a spare Growlithe? I don't care the nature and EV's really. I just need a fire type. If I'd have known I couldn't get him in SS I would have picked up HG.

You can get a Vulpix at the Safari zone, well outside it.

Not a reasonable answer?

jdogmoney

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I never got why Growlithe/Arcanine are so popular. Must be a dog-person thing.

I never had one before HeartGold, despite playing every generation. Growlithe was always on the other one.

That being said, I like my tiger puppy! Aslan is awesome.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
btkadams said:
what hms do i need for the first time going up victory road?
Ive heard somewhere in this thread that you need surf strength and rock smash (probably forgetting something). Ive spent all my time breeding for the perfect team, so I haven't even gotten to the e4.

TheSeks

Vanille said:
Flare Blitz + Extremespeed is scary. o.o

Flare Blitz = Fire moves hitting the Pokemon = Stats raise? Vulpix has that as well. Dunno about Extremespeed.

Vulpix is a dog as well, well... fox, but same thing

Ninetails just doesn't have the following as Arcanine, probably because it's a "female" Pokemon (well, appeals more to girls). But it's still a decent Pokemon in battle, I feel and it should do fine for the quest without having to bend over backwards for an exclusive Pokemon.

TheSeks

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I've loved Growlithes ever since I caught one in Red with a Master Ball. :lol

>>ever since I caught one in Red with a Master Ball. :lol
>>since I caught one with a Master Ball. :lol
>>since I caught with a Master Ball. :lol
>>with a Master Ball. :lol
>>a Master Ball :lol
>>a
>>Master
>>Ball
>>a Master Ball. :lol

Holy shit, the fail... :lol

Edit: Note to self: Quote boxes don't like quote zoom, use >> next time.

Also, shouldn't call it fail. But how the hell did you get Mewtwo as a kid without the Masterball? :lol

Is there anyway to get the Metal Coat aside from the Pokéalthon?

TheSeks said:
>>ever since I caught one in Red with a Master Ball. :lol
>>since I caught one with a Master Ball. :lol
>>since I caught with a Master Ball. :lol
>>with a Master Ball. :lol
>>a Master Ball :lol
>>a
>>Master
>>Ball
>>a Master Ball. :lol

Holy shit, the fail... :lol

Edit: Note to self: Quote boxes don't like quote zoom, use >> next time.

Also, shouldn't call it fail. But how the hell did you get Mewtwo as a kid without the Masterball? :lol
I didn't realize the Master Ball was a one time thing. I basically used my friends Game Genie to get all the Pokémon and on my second playthrough I used the MISSINGNO. trick.

TheSeks

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I basically used my friends Game Genie to get all the Pokémon and on my second playthrough I used the MISSINGNO. trick.

I think everyone did those, though. :lol

Animatik

Neo Member
I remember back in my grade school, with the original gold and silver, you were either an Arcanine or a Flareon person. I was a Flareon person but he is so gimped now ><

Vanille

TheSeks said:
Flare Blitz = Fire moves hitting the Pokemon = Stats raise? Vulpix has that as well. Dunno about Extremespeed.

Vulpix is a dog as well, well... fox, but same thing

Ninetails just doesn't have the following as Arcanine, probably because it's a "female" Pokemon (well, appeals more to girls). But it's still a decent Pokemon in battle, I feel and it should do fine for the quest without having to bend over backwards for an exclusive Pokemon.

No, you're thinking of Flash Fire. Flare Blitz is the physical equivalent to Fire Blast, only it has 100% accuracy and three times as much PP.

Ninetales gets Nasty Plot though, which can make her just as scary.

Unicorn

Speaking of growlithe...Back from work. Going to be on wifi handing out growlithes that know flare blitz, morning sun, and sunny day.

Everyone that has already PMed me, I have you added. Anyone else interested, PM me

1333-9906-6884
Unicorn

cdyhybrid

Unicorn said:
Speaking of growlithe...Back from work. Going to be on wifi handing out growlithes that know flare blitz, morning sun, and sunny day.

Everyone that has already PMed me, I have you added. Anyone else interested, PM me

1333-9906-6884
Unicorn

I love you <3

Top Bottom