• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Y'know, I loved GSC, and I am currently loving Soul Silver, but goddamn I hate these starters. Just... just so much. I picked Totodile, because he's the one I dislike the least, and I'm already considering just Boxing the jerk and catching myself a Lapras tonight. Or, more likely, replacing him with a Gyarados (fuck yeah).

I've been rocking the traded Onix you get in Violet City and a Noctowl, with my hideous Croconaw as a last resort because I don't want to be seen with it. My only consolation is that my rival's Poke is even uglier, the sucker. I left his name as Heart because I couldn't come up with a more embarrassing name on my own :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
TheSeks said:
"Hello! This is Professor Oak. You're catching a lot of Pokemon aren't you?"
(click!)
... ... ...

Now I remember why I hate the phone in this game. :lol

Everybody in the game is so rude. It's like they've never heard of goodbye.

SlickVic

I'm loving the Pokewalker. Leveling up a Pokemon each day even though I haven't gotten much of a chance to actually play the game. Granted it's only 1 level/day, but I doubt I'll be playing much for the next few weeks, so I'll at least have something decently leveled by then. Never thought I'd be leveling up my Pokemon just by treadmilling. :lol

D-Pad

Wow! I just beat Chuck. And it was just like TV! (Click!) ..... ......

My Goldbat, Vladimir, kept losing against Primeape's Double Team -> Rockslide combo. So I went out and raised it one more lever and, guess what? It evolved into Crobat! So I went back and now my Crobat's faster than Primeape. Wiped it out in two hits and then I took out his Poliwrath! Got the gym badge, and now I'm going to fly around Johto.

Already checked out the Safari Zone, found a Geodude to show the warden, but I didn't run into any interesting or rare Pokemon. I'll certainly say, though, that despite that lady's assurance, the Safari Zone was not "just around the corner". Had a Geodude self-destruct and decapitate my poor Elekid. :( R.I.P. buddy. Feels like I pulled you from the PokeWalker only hours before.

Also: I wish someone would just hurry up and give me a leppa berry already. The greatest berry in the game and I haven't found one yet. So much for Wade...

Magni

Hmm Shuckle can turn Oran berries into Rare Candies? Such an unbalanced Pokémon, the highest base Atk and HP stats, and the lowest (save for Munchlax) base Spe stat :lol

Also

Although the circumstances would be nearly impossible, a level 100 Shuckle can potentially deal the most damage in one single attack through the use of numerous stat boosters, by using Helping Hand, Metronome held item, Power Trick, a Skill Swap to Pure Power or Huge Power, and the Defense Curl/Rollout combo. Also, Shuckle's partner must have the ability Flower Gift and the weather must be sunny. On the 5th impact of Rollout, if used against a level 1 Ledyba or Yanma that have been hit with negative Defense modifiers (such as Screech), it can deal 213,896,052 damage with a critical hit.
:lol :lol :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
Am I the only one that thinks it'd be interesting if they changed the types for the starters in the next gen?

Perhaps Dark/Psychic/Fighting starters? That'd be neato!

Dogenzaka said:
Am I the only one that thinks it'd be interesting if they changed the types for the starters in the next gen?

Some people were talking about that in the pre-Gen 5 thread. Although, I think someone switched Dark with Fighting.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
matrix-cat said:
Y'know, I loved GSC, and I am currently loving Soul Silver, but goddamn I hate these starters. Just... just so much. I picked Totodile, because he's the one I dislike the least, and I'm already considering just Boxing the jerk and catching myself a Lapras tonight. Or, more likely, replacing him with a Gyarados (fuck yeah).
They really are the worst. They're all monotypes, and they get one, maybe two good STAB moves via level-up that you'd ever want to use.

Dogenzaka said:

A lot of people have floated that same combo but I doubt it'd ever be used just because it's not as straightforward and simple to understand as Grass/Fire/Water and therefore would confuse the Pokekids.

I liked how the 4th gen did it with each starter's secondary typing helping to balance them against the starter that they were formerly weak against.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
They really are the worst. They're all monotypes, and they get one, maybe two good STAB moves via level-up that you'd ever want to use.

A lot of people have floated that same combo but I doubt it'd ever be used just because it's not as straightforward and simple to understand as Grass/Fire/Water and therefore would confuse the Pokekids.

I liked how the 4th gen did it with each starter's secondary typing helping to balance them against the starter that they were formerly weak against.

DON'T BE MEAN! *Hugs lvl 35 Cyndaquil*

I forgot to evolve my Pokemon. I better get to that. I still have a lvl 34 Geodude lol.

In fact, I forgot about evolution so much that I wasted my time training my Spiky-Eared Pichu before realizing, oh shit, this Pokemon has such terrible HP and I'll never even be able to evolve it into Pikachu...what a waste.

Magni

I'd love a mega game where you'd get to choose to start from any city from the four regions, and with any Pokémon (well, except a Legendary). That'd be cool I think :D

jdogmoney

Dogenzaka said:

What other trios could there be?

Ground/Electric/Flying?

Umm...Poison/Fighting/Steel?

I think the immunity thing throws such combos out of whack...

My whole love of Pokemon is in battling, so if anyone wants someone to battle with, I'd love to. I've got several Pokemon I've already trained that I plan to move over to HG, and I'm about to start working on my tourney team.

My FC is 5371 2585 9085. PM me if you added me though, might not see your post here.

Sixfortyfive

DarthWufei said:
My whole love of Pokemon is in battling, so if anyone wants someone to battle with, I'd love to. I've got several Pokemon I've already trained that I plan to move over to HG, and I'm about to start working on my tourney team.

My FC is 5371 2585 9085. PM me if you added me though, might not see your post here.
2750-6983-3519

Pein

Banned
just wiped out Pryce's entire gym with just my Arcanine, shit was so cash. Arcanine makes me glad that I didn't choose cyndaquil as my starter.

Also got my final team together until I beat red

Meganium
Nidoking
Arcanine
Espeon
Ampharos
Gyarados

I'll add a Dragonite and Tyrannitar later on.

Sixfortyfive

I think I'm going to end up fully EV-training my quest team just to beat Red.

I want to beat him with the team I've been using, and I want to do it at the lowest level possible.

Eteric Rice

Where the hell do I get Exp Share in this game? I'm going up against the Elite Four and I need to train something nasty to roflstomp em.

Pein

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Where the hell do I get Exp Share in this game? I'm going up against the Elite Four and I need to train something nasty to roflstomp em.
take the red scale to mr pokemon and he'll give you an exp share

Sixfortyfive

Huh. So Ho-Oh holds the Sacred Ash item.

I wonder if you could just battle it over and over again, using Thief to steal the hold item every time in order to stock up on it.

So, game should be coming out today, checking the site of the shop where I usually buy things and....it's been...delayed....wut?

Rough translation:

"Postponed release in the Netherlands and the Dutch speaking part of Belgium, because some pre-release copies of the game aren't working correctly. The quality of our products is very important so we decided to postpone the release of the game. We are working hard on a solution to replace the copies and deliver these to the stores. New release date will be announced soon.

- Nintendo Benelux"

WTF ;_ ; Why the Netherlands and the Dutch speaking part of Belgium, I didn't even know they were going to translate the game because they've never done that before, I think. And the translation is the only reason I can think of causing it not to work correctly.

Edit: Apparently Nintendo Benelux recalled all of the copies because of a save bug :s When you start up the game you get the message "The save data could not be accessed, please turn the power off and reinsert the DS game card". Rest of Europe is getting it today though, weird.

And I'm not making this up: http://www.nintendo.be/NOE/nl_BE/ne...kmon_soulsilver_version_uitgesteld_16569.html

Edit 2: Hmm, one shop is now listing the release date as April 30, noooo!!!

Hero

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can provide me with a Charmander egg that will know Thunderpunch and Firepunch. Trying to make a new Bellyzard. Any help would be appreciated.

Also looking for a Jolly Gible that knows Outrage.

So I'm stuck at the Elite Four and looking for some advice.

Here is my squad:

44 Feraligatr
44 Victreebel
45 Arcanine
45 Espeon
45 Raikou
45 Ho-oh

...and i have lost to Lance 3 times in a row.

Outrage hits like a truck and then Aerodactyl comes in third and finishes me off

Do i need to just level up a little more? or is their a something I might have not done.

Sixfortyfive

I beat Lance with a team of sub-level-40 Pokemon by just using all the X Speeds and X Attacks that I had accumulated on Gyarados and just Ice Fanged everything.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
MILK DRINK MILK DRINK MILK DRINK oh shi-- your Pokémon is in love! MILK DRINK MILK DRINK

yeah that lasted until I brought out my female Flaaffy, paralyzed the fucking thing, Flashed its accuracy through the floor, swapped in Togetic, Sweet Kissed it to confuse it, then swapped in Onix and Screeched a couple times so it wouldn't have the OPPORTUNITY to Milk Drink. That damn cow was useless and went down like the bitch it is :lol

Kyzer said:
WTF did this guy Joey just make a joke about my mom?

See, this is why Joey is the only person I haven't swapped numbers with. Between his Rattata and his apparent mom jokes, he's just not worth the trouble.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Yes, I will re-battle you, Joey.

I can't wait to fucking Cross Chop your Rattata into a crash-course orbit on one of Jupiter's sixty-three moons.

Then I will watch you fall to your knees and shed salty-sweet tears down your plump, freckly face as you weep bitterly for your eradicated partner.

img_35.gif

Mmm those wonderful tears.
They are the firstborn product of my vengeance.

OMG Aero

Based on complaints I heard on various forums, I haven't added anyone to the phone book at all. You can re-add anyone by just talking to them again so I'm going to go round and add everyone when I've finished the game so they can't bug me while I'm playing.

Pietepiet

GasProblem said:
So, game should be coming out today, checking the site of the shop where I usually buy things and....it's been...delayed....wut?

Rough translation:

"Postponed release in the Netherlands and the Dutch speaking part of Belgium, because some pre-release copies of the game aren't working correctly. The quality of our products is very important so we decided to postpone the release of the game. We are working hard on a solution to replace the copies and deliver these to the stores. New release date will be announced soon.

- Nintendo Benelux"

WTF ;_ ; Why the Netherlands and the Dutch speaking part of Belgium, I didn't even know they were going to translate the game because they've never done that before, I think. And the translation is the only reason I can think of causing it not to work correctly.

Edit: Apparently Nintendo Benelux recalled all of the copies because of a save bug :s When you start up the game you get the message "The save data could not be accessed, please turn the power off and reinsert the DS game card". Rest of Europe is getting it today though, weird.

And I'm not making this up: http://www.nintendo.be/NOE/nl_BE/ne...kmon_soulsilver_version_uitgesteld_16569.html

Edit 2: Hmm, one shop is now listing the release date as April 30, noooo!!!

It's not being translated, because as far as I know Pokémon uses the system language and the DS doesn't have a Dutch setting. Something probably just went horribly wrong with the assembly for our shipment, messing up something in the cartridge itself rather than the rom (because if that was the case, the rest of Europe would be affected as well).

beje

Banned
Danthrax said:
MILK DRINK MILK DRINK MILK DRINK oh shi-- your Pokémon is in love! MILK DRINK MILK DRINK

yeah that lasted until I brought out my female Flaaffy, paralyzed the fucking thing, Flashed its accuracy through the floor, swapped in Togetic, Sweet Kissed it to confuse it, then swapped in Onix and Screeched a couple times so it wouldn't have the OPPORTUNITY to Milk Drink. That damn cow was useless and went down like the bitch it is :lol

I had to paralize her (twice, because first time, she heals with a berry), drop her accuracy to the minimum and drop her attack like 3 or 4 times and she still managed to steamroll my quilava and flaafy that were like 5 or 6 levels above, then out of pure lack beat it with a HM-slave Onix at level 6 spammin rock smash :lol

Echoes

Red's
Lapras
has taken down EVERY Pokemon in my party. And the fact that you need 2 HMs to reach him is just fucking awful because instead of my Venusaur I'm trapped with Lv17 Marowak with Rock Climb.

I ain't packing down until I take out this motherfucker with my 55-60 Pokes. Motherfucking
Lapras
knows every goddamn move in the game.

Sixfortyfive

Red: Oh hey, three of my team has
Blizzard
, and it just so happens to be
hailing
. Isn't that convenient?

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Echoes

Sixfortyfive said:
Red: Oh hey, three of my team has
Blizzard
, and it just so happens to be
hailing
. Isn't that convenient?

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Seriously. Oh and I had taken down
Lapras
, but guess what?
Blastoise
is fucking worse.

Fuck this shit, I'M COMING BACK WITH LV70 AND THEN WE'LL TALK. Fucker.

N4Us

Goddamn do I hate Whitney. I don't really have anything with fighting moves right now so her Miltank fucks my shit up everytime.

Danthrax said:
Wooo, I got two of them right :lol

I suppose Skarmory would have been too obvious for "Scar" but I don't understand why you named your Aerodactyl "King." (Or, for that matter, why you named your Garchomp "Scar.")

I get the Skull name for Muk, considering the poison, heh. And Blissey with her eggs and all.

You know what? You made me realize some of these nicknames made no sense from plain view, so i'll give you a kudos on that, but let me clarify it for you.

The amount of work I put into Aerodactyl's IV and Speed (Being Jolly and having MAX speed) made me feel like it's a damn great pokemon, so I decided to call it 'king', but KING felt too typical for me, so I went with the swahili version.

I called Garchomp 'Scar' because, well, I figured a pokemon like that would be the type of pokemon that would be rough, so I wanted it to sound like a tough pokemon.

But yeah, great try. Do you have any thoughts on my team? :)

I'm not taking anybody's phone number unless they outright tell me that they'll give me stuff if I do. The only person's number I've took so far is a guy who gives me berries.

Top Bottom