• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

It's all about luck and having the right team(moreso luck). When I faced Palmer the second time(battle 50) if he hadn't sent out Heatran first I wouldn't have defeated him. I'll try to get a 100 streak, but I'm not counting on it. Right now I'm enjoying my purple card with 3 stars :)

Oh and 455 at 606 hours...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Metroid Killer said:
It's all about luck and having the right team(moreso luck). When I faced Palmer the second time(battle 50) if he hadn't sent out Heatran first I wouldn't have defeated him. I'll try to get a 100 streak, but I'm not counting on it. Right now I'm enjoying my purple card with 3 stars :)

Oh and 455 at 606 hours...

Our Caught:Time ratio is higher. :D

Pein

Banned
Broke down and bought soul silver. Was getting a bit bored with heart gold, but I still want to fill out the HG pokedex more.

cory

Banned
I just popped in Emerald, you surf at like 80 mph in that game. I guess there's no chance that B&W will be a solid 30 fps on DS. Sometimes, like in Goldenrod and Cianwood, there's really noticeable slowdown.

Any tips for trying to unlock the Beyond the Sea Pokewalker course?

Serebii lists that you need to do an international GTS trade to unlock it, but it's almost impossible since every single Japanese player is asking for Pokemon that can only be obtained by hacking (lvl 20 Suicune, lvl 1 Mew etc.) I also did a Growlithe for Vulpix trade with a guy in America via the GTS, but that didn't unlock it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
All the Pokemon I've gotten from the GTS so far have been from Japan. :lol Must just be bad luck dude.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Filter by country when you search on the GTS. I've done a bunch of reasonable trades by searching everywhere but the US and Japan.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pein said:
Fuck the gts, nearly everyone asks for unreasonable stuff for some really average pokemon

Eh, if you're seeking Pokemon I find at least one of the people is reasonable. And ignoring that, offering my own Pokemon and specifying what you want that way has always gotten me what I want. (Then again I usually don't specify gender or level.)

Andrex said:
Eh, if you're seeking Pokemon I find at least one of the people is reasonable. And ignoring that, offering my own Pokemon and specifying what you want that way has always gotten me what I want. (Then again I usually don't specify gender or level.)
That doesn't work for me, I can only see a few available Pokemon regardless of whatever I specify. For example at the moment there is only two results when I try to search for a Ledyba with any gender, level or country and both of them are from Japan with impossible requests. If I try to be specific there are no results at all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Azure Phoenix said:
That doesn't work for me, I can only see a few available Pokemon regardless of whatever I specify. For example at the moment there is only two results when I try to search for a Ledyba with any gender, level or country and both of them are from Japan with impossible requests. If I try to be specific there are no results at all.

Then put up any HG exclusive and ask for a Ledyba. Check in like 12 hours and you should have what you want.

I can't believe I never noticed this. In Goldenrod Gym (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Goldenrod_Gym), one of the trainers:
Beauty Victoria
-Sentret lv. 9
-Sentret lv. 13
-Sentret lv. 16
Azure Phoenix said:

I find that it helps if you breed an extra copy of your starter, then ask for something. I was able to get the rest of the starters, as well as other Pokémon I was looking for.

Axis

alright i'll have some extra brave bird/roost skarmorys, taillows and starly's later if anyone will be interested in one...just PM me

Finalow

Echoes said:
I killed Palmer's Milotic with a Lv5 Rattata. Never underestimate Rattata. He can strike fear to your opponents.
impossible
fermosi.gif

Sagitario

Is there any penalty for changing the DS clock/date?

Also, if I want to breed 2 modest Eevee, what do I need? I have a non-modest Eevee only...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Are headbutted Pokemon locked into a single gender? Gave up on trying to get a female Burmy, and now a female Combee is eluding me as well.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Echoes said:
Milotic uses Ice Beam
Rattata hungs on its Focus Sash!
Rattata uses Endure
Milotic is down to 1 HP
Rattata uses Quick Attack
Milotic fainted :lol

I love this fricking game. :lol

Azure Phoenix said:

Serebii lists that you need to do an international GTS trade to unlock it, but it's almost impossible since every single Japanese player is asking for Pokemon that can only be obtained by hacking (lvl 20 Suicune, lvl 1 Mew etc.) I also did a Growlithe for Vulpix trade with a guy in America via the GTS, but that didn't unlock it.
When I was wanting it I actually searched for a pokemon that I already had but from Japan. I think it was just a Ratatta. I found it easier to not look for a certain pokemon and just focus on getting the trade to unlock the course.

Finalow

Echoes said:
Milotic uses Ice Beam
Rattata uses Endure
Milotic is down to 1 HP
LOL but i don't understand this ..
Rattata uses Endure
Milotic is down to 1 HP
o_O?

Axis

finalozzo said:
Rattata uses Endure
Milotic is down to 1 HP
o_O?

pretty sure he meant endeavor but it takes them down to the amount of HP you have remaining(in this case 1)

Chozo

finalozzo said:
Rattata uses Endure
Milotic is down to 1 HP
o_O?

He means Endeavor, a move that reduces the opponent's HP to your current total.

EDIT: beaten like a rented mule

Sagitario said:
Is there any penalty for changing the DS clock/date?
Sort of. If you change the date basically every NPC that has a date/time based schedule won't change, which means no seals, no haircut, no bargain stall, no bug tournament, no apricorn balls etcetera etcetera.

It all goes back to normal if you let a day pass naturally though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Azure Phoenix said:

Do a starter or a Chancey or something. They'll give you one from Japan, generally.

TheSeks

Echoes said:
Milotic uses Ice Beam
Rattata uses Endure
Milotic is down to 1 HP

F.E.A.R. is fucking awesome, but doesn't it get totally raped in the Battle Tower by the AI cheating? (Sandstorm on lead and like)

Argh I just figured out why Beyond the Sea wouldn't unlock even though I've just got a Japanese Pokemon. It seems to need to register your location at that big globe in the GTS, something they never bother to tell you in game :/

MNC

Echoes said:
Milotic uses Ice Beam
Rattata uses Endure
Milotic is down to 1 HP
Holy fuck, that's an awesome set up.

cory

Banned
It's been harder for me to catch Absol than Suicune.
Fake Edit: Totally forgot that Dusk Balls work in caves, not just at night. :lol

Echoes

TheSeks said:
F.E.A.R. is fucking awesome, but doesn't it get totally raped in the Battle Tower by the AI cheating? (Sandstorm on lead and like)
Yep, and priority moves kills it as well. But at least you're bringing your opponent's Poke down to 1 HP.

Do you guys remember my friend who is basically a top-tier player that I did beat once? Tomorrow we are having our next battle, and he is looking forward to murder me. We hang out a lot and he didn't hint about any strategy at all. He just said "you're going down hard". I believe in that statement because he is insanely good.

However, since he only bans the use of legendary Pokes, I am planning to use the nastier, bitchier, most annoying team ever. Tyranitar will set up a sandstorm, and Garchomp will hold Brightpowder, have Double Team, and Substitute. You don't need me to tell you the rest.

Will probably lead with Aerodactyl and hope for the best. I expect him to lead with a Substitute Jolteon so I'm ready to Whirlwind that shit away.

Could anybody do the math for me? As I suck in this. With a sandstorm up, holding Brightpowder, Double Teaming once, what percentage will be a 100% move? 60%?

Aurora

Echoes said:
Could anybody do the math for me? As I suck in this. With a sandstorm up, holding Brightpowder, Double Teaming once, what percentage will be a 100% move? 60%?
Sand Veil -20%
BrightPowder -10%
Double Team -25%

So a 100% accuracy move will hit 45% of the time.

Echoes

Thanks guys. How about 2 Double Team? (and 3 for the lulz)

I'm considering Smeargle. Spore, Double Team once or twice, maybe Ingrain if possible, then Baton Pass.

TheSeks

Battle Video: 33-29998-81526

Anyone want to tell me how the AI could screw up that hugely?

(Also didn't know the Nintendo Wifi Connection servers kept multiple videos, if anyone wants to see my poor battle skills + "MY FIRST VIDEO ON WIFI CONNECTION EVER, ZOMG": Battle Video: 84-09867-48225)

Seriously, though. Why the hell would you swagger me twice? You already confused me. You can't confuse me again, and you just buffed my Sp. Atk, something that Scyther should have (IMO).

Thanks guys. How about 2 Double Team? (and 3 for the lulz)

Why stop at 3? You can do 5 before the accuracy drop stops lowering by the game. At that point he can't do shit to hit you. (And yes, I know 3 lowers it below 50, but 5 makes it like a 5% chance to hit you)

Baton Pass to a Shuckle or Wobbuffet and trollface.jpg to winning?

Firestorm

TheSeks said:
Battle Video: 33-29998-81526

Anyone want to tell me how the AI could screw up that hugely?

(Also didn't know the Nintendo Wifi Connection servers kept multiple videos, if anyone wants to see my poor battle skills + "MY FIRST VIDEO ON WIFI CONNECTION EVER, ZOMG": Battle Video: 84-09867-48225)

Seriously, though. Why the hell would you swagger me twice? You already confused me. You can't confuse me again, and you just buffed my Sp. Atk, something that Scyther should have (IMO).

Why stop at 3? You can do 5 before the accuracy drop stops lowering by the game. At that point he can't do shit to hit you. (And yes, I know 3 lowers it below 50, but 5 makes it like a 5% chance to hit you)

Baton Pass to a Shuckle or Wobbuffet and trollface.jpg to winning?
5 is 37.5%.

1 DT: 75%
2 DT: 60%
3 DT: 50%
4 DT: 42.85%
5 DT: 37.5%
6 DT: 33.33%

Started HG the other day. Miltank forced me to evolve Cyndaquil. Morty's Gengar's Shadow Ball messed up my whole team. :(

My current team is Quilava, Flaafy, and Quagsire, but I'm not digging Quagsire. Any other Water recommendations? Only have the Old Rod and I've trained too many Gyarados before.

Oh yeah and what is up with the Daycare? I put in two opposite-gender Onix and almost instantly I get a call for an Egg. I'm picking it up and almost right after I get another call. I'm toting around two Eggs now and I get a third call. Thankfully the first two hatched already so I can put my HM slaves back in my party. I think I'll let them keep the third one.

^Hornix!

Hmm I thought Battle Hall would level your pokemon to lvl50, but apparently not. I brought in a lvl 70 pokemon, but there must be a catch, right? I guess the opponments level scale compared to yours.

Axis

shot in the dark here but i'm looking for the following:

deepseatooth
stone edge TM
substitute TM's(as many as i can get)
brick break, toxic, roost, facade, iron tail, hidden power TM's

anddd a smeargle and some 4th gen pokes(any, really)

Top Bottom