• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
beje said:
Nope, "Huevo" means Egg in spanish. You'll always receive them in their original language.

Ah right, but what you said about them being Japanese(-bred) tripped me up a little.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Can somone help me get the pokemon virus? (some instructions on how to get it, or what I need to trade with somone to get it)

Also, Is there any equivalent to the "Battle Dome" from Pokemon Emerald in SS/HG? I really like tournaments and wish they were in the game :(

Unbelievable. Level 16 Magmar, low HP and paralyzed, and it resists all 3 of my Ultra Balls. I do the same to a Level 16(?) Farfetch'd and it resists 3 Great Balls. Conversely, one Poke Ball snares me a Level 16 Magnemite.

Firestorm

Lone_Prodigy said:
Unbelievable. Level 16 Magmar, low HP and paralyzed, and it resists all 3 of my Ultra Balls. I do the same to a Level 16(?) Farfetch'd and it resists 3 Great Balls. Conversely, one Poke Ball snares me a Level 16 Magnemite.
Magmar Catch Rate: 45
Farfetch'd Catch Rate: 45
Magnemite Catch Rate: 190

beje said:
Nope, "Huevo" means Egg in spanish. You'll always receive them in their original language.

How does the language thing work with gold/silver (and platinum if you know).

Is it like mario kart that it plays with the language your DS is set to?

cory

Banned
There's a lot of level gaps towards the "end" of the game mostly due to the similarly leveled Gym Leaders in Kanto; between the Blue and the Elite Four, the Elite Four and Lance, and Lance and Red. (Still stuck on Blue)
BTW I love this gif:
KogaHGSS.gif

Pagusas said:
Can somone help me get the pokemon virus? (some instructions on how to get it, or what I need to trade with somone to get it)

Also, Is there any equivalent to the "Battle Dome" from Pokemon Emerald in SS/HG? I really like tournaments and wish they were in the game :(
"Pokerus is a special condition that has a small chance of occurring at any point in the game, and the Pokemon Center attendant will notify you the first time one of your party members is inflicted with it. The Pokerus bonus applies to all EVs earned except for vitamins. If a Pokerus-inflicted Pokemon defeats a Magikarp, it will receive 2 speed EVs instead of 1. If it defeats a Magikarp while holding a Power Weight, it will receive 2 speed EVs and 8 HP EVs. When you check this Pokemon's status, you should notice a purple PKRS mark, which indicates that this Pokemon has Pokerus and is capable of spreading it to other party members. To spread Pokerus to other party members, initiate a few random encounters or trainer battles, and the Pokemon positioned next to it in your party should eventually catch it. Pokemon eventually lose the ability to spread Pokerus to other party members, at which point the PKRS mark will be replaced by a smiley face. These Pokemon will still receive the double EV bonus; they simply can't spread the condition to other Pokemon. To prevent the loss of this ability, keep at least one PKRS-active Pokemon in your PC storage at all times. As long as this Pokemon is in storage when the date rolls over at midnight, it cannot lose this ability."

So you can either get pokerus from a wild pokemon or you can get one from another pokemon player(the easiest way). I don't have my ds on me right now though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The tournament is over. There are Youtube links and Battle Recorder IDs for some of the matches in the OP, right above the bracket image. I'd like to thank everyone who showed up to play.

I'd also like to reiterate that I'm giving out the following prize to those who defeat my tournament team:

glaceon.png

Glaceon
Level: 2
Nature: Modest
IVs: 31/31/30/30/30/30
EVs: none
Pokerus: positive
Item: TM13 - Ice Beam
Known moves:
- Wish (egg move)
- Fake Tears (egg move)
- Baton Pass (Eevee-only move, normally learned at level 36)
- Yawn (egg move)
- If it was to learn Hidden Power, it would be of the Fighting type with maximum strength.

Challenge me to a match when I'm around. I've cloned this guy a bunch and have plenty to give out.

beje

Banned
jamesinclair said:
How does the language thing work with gold/silver (and platinum if you know).

Is it like mario kart that it plays with the language your DS is set to?

No, Pokémon games in Europe have always been hardcoded to just one language.

By the way, reopening the Porygon Egg giveaway. Bring me anything (not hacked and not lame like Rattatas and the like) and you'll get one!

4512-2935-6534

Axis

beje said:
No, Pokémon games in Europe have always been hardcoded to just one language.

By the way, reopening the Porygon Egg giveaway. Bring me anything (not hacked and not lame like Rattatas and the like) and you'll get one!

4512-2935-6534

i'll take one if you're still around

Echoes

I'm currently playing the Battle Castle. Probably the best thing ever coupled with the Tower. I love the Tower because it dishes out a lot of strategies for the player, even though the A.I. is a cheating motherfucker. While the Hall was fun, I don't see much replay value (or fun to be had again) once you get the gold print. The rental thingy is sorta not for me so I can't judge it. But the Castle? fucking awesome shit. I like it so much right now.

cory

Banned
I have Raikou and Entei both down to a pixel of health, but the only Pokémon that I have that can hold them in place is a level 15 Wobbufett.

Echoes

I had a long discussion with a friend yesterday about RPGs and their lack of replay value. I expressed my rants about how some of my favorite RPGs just "end" with no New Game+ like Final Fantasy Tactics. And then he mentioned Pokemon...

I will never understand those who says Pokemon games are boring after the Elite Four/Red, or there is not much to do besides battling more (well, surprise, you're playing fucking Pokemon). Are we really playing the same game? Let's put filling the 'dex aside. You have all the contests to do (Pokeathlon, Bug Catching, Daily Lottery, etc) and gym rematches and a lot of goddamned caves that even after 200 hours I haven't finished Mt. Mortar and Dark Cave (because I'm busy with other stuff). And then you have the breeding section (which is the main game :p) and the whole IV/Nature/EV training. And with competitive battling? My god, you will be busy. Eh, neglecting all the above, the Battle Frontier alone is taking all my free time. I'm busier than a whore working two beds.

Echoes said:
And then he mentioned Pokemon...
I'll pretty soon have a complete pokedex(minus Celebi basically), I'm halfway through the Battle Frontier(and had enough of the other half), did everything there is to do at the Pokeathlon, I have been to every cave except Mt. Silver.

For me, there's some Battle Frontier play, Legendary hunts, filling out the pokedex left and then I'll battle Red.

Which means that once I've beaten Red there's nothing left to do. What a shitty replay value!!

:p

beje

Banned
I always wondered what's the point of asking for replay value in a RPG (aside for alternate endings, which is not the case) when a single playthrough getting virtually everything can lead to 400+ hours games.

Replay value is something valuable in games that can be finished in less than 20 hours, not in OCD-inducing monsters like Pokémon or similar stuff.

glennw

Neo Member
Have just got into HG..haven't played a Pokemon game properly since the original Silver. It is amazing! I have clocked up about 30 hours and I have only just got my 4th badge!

There seems to be all sorts of crazy new things since I last played, I thought breeding was pretty hardcore but all this IV and EV training has my head spinning!

I know a little of what I am doing, but I am still probably a bit of a noob in these circles. So I am really enjoying reading all of your advice :)

Anyone have any idea when some of these other pokewalker routes might appear? I am desperate for a Munchlax!

glennw said:
Anyone have any idea when some of these other pokewalker routes might appear? I am desperate for a Munchlax!
Whenever you feel for it, read this thread on competetive pokemon(and basically all the advanced stuff)

And the route with Munchlax will probably come in a two/three months time through wifi. I got it in january due to having the japanese version which gave me an awesome start with Beldum and several leftovers from catching Munlaxs :D Have fun with the GOTY!

glennw

Neo Member
Echoes said:
I will never understand those who says Pokemon games are boring after the Elite Four/Red, or there is not much to do besides battling more (well, surprise, you're playing fucking Pokemon).
To be fair if you hated the contests Ruby/Sapphire had absolutely nothing to do after beating the Elite 4 aside from rounding up a few legendaries. Red/Blue/Yellow were also obviously sparce due to their age and if you start including the Collosseum games they are dead after finishing the main quest.

xSL4INx

xSL4INx said:
Just a quick question as I'm concerned I've hit a glitch or something and it's bothering me quite a bit - every day I go to the haircut brothers to get my pokemon a haircut, but every time I go to them, they tell me they only do one a day and say their done for the day, but I haven't gotten a haircut from them at all that day, and it's been doing this for the past few days. Has something gone wrong with my game?

I should also note that I have never altered the time on my DSi, and I never experienced this problem with my Japanese copy of Soul Silver.

Anyone?

I'm still able to do all the other time sensitive stuff, just not haircuts and it's really bugging me. I let my game sit for a natural day and it didn't fix it.

so is it considered fair-game to try and use a baton-passed-meanlook+encore+disable combo on opponents to force them to use struggle 2-4 times, thus withering away 1/2 or more or their health through recoil?

figured I'd ask here instead of bumping the competitive board.

Jokey665

TestOfTide said:
so is it considered fair-game to try and use a baton-passed-meanlook+encore+disable combo on opponents to force them to use struggle 2-4 times, thus withering away 1/2 or more or their health through recoil?

figured I'd ask here instead of bumping the competitive board.
You can try it; you'll probably get destroyed while attempting to set it up.

Wichu

beje said:
I have 10 Porygon eggs made with a japanese Ditto (1/2048 chance of shiny) up for grabs. I don't want anything specific for them, anything you consider interesting will do (as long as it's not hacked)
The shiny chance increase only applies if you don't trade the eggs. Shininess depends on the Pokémon's trainer ID; after you hatch it, its trainer ID becomes set to that of the hatcher. So the eggs you're trading don't have an increased chance of being shiny.
Curiously, there's a glitch where a traded egg appears to hatch shiny, but becomes non-shiny immediately after; this is what will happen if one of those eggs gets the 1/2048 chance of being shiny.

xSL4INx said:
Anyone?

I'm still able to do all the other time sensitive stuff, just not haircuts and it's really bugging me. I let my game sit for a natural day and it didn't fix it.

Have you tried saving the game, then waiting 24 hours? I had this issue with Apricorns not growing, so I did that and it fixed it.

Lone_Prodigy said:
Scyther Catch Rate: 45
I caught a Lvl 13 one by only putting it to sleep. Sport Balls own?
Yes, yes they do. In the 10+ attempts at the bug catching contest I've caught a Scyther or Pinsir with the first ball at full health just by putting it to sleep on every single attempt. Compare that to the Safari Zone where it took me 5 balls just to catch a damn Rattata and Dusk Balls refusing to even hold a sleeping Smeagle on 1hp.

Echoes

glaceon.png

If I won (with you using another team) will I win another one? :p

Oh and, would you mind me constructing a hail team like yours for battling my friends? It's amazing.

Reich

Hey guys (im playing atm Platinum .. but that thread is dead so .. im posting here!).

Where is the best place to grind before the Elite 4 ?

Reich said:
Hey guys (im playing atm Platinum .. but that thread is dead so .. im posting here!).

Where is the best place to grind before the Elite 4 ?
The versus seeker gives you any choice you'd like. Just pick the area with the highest level trainers and use an exp. share.

The fishermen who use gyarados are easy fodder if you've got pokemon who need leveling up with the exp. share, and an electric poke who can 1 or 2 hit ko them.

Sixfortyfive

Since the current tournament is over, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how the next one should be conducted. It's probably a bit early to plan anything out concretely, but I'd like some suggestions from people who did and did not participate in the last one.

Some things to consider:

• Double battles. I've been enjoying these a lot ever since I started playing PBR randoms against Japanese players, as they open up a lot of strategies and considerations that just don't crop up in singles. Switching/countering and entry hazards aren't emphasized as much, and tiering works out differently since some Pokemon are much more or less useful in doubles. Smogon has a decent primer on it.

• Sideboard team style. Instead of keeping everyone's teams shrouded in secrecy and able to change between matches, entrants would submit a team sheet of 9 different Pokemon before the tournament starts, and throughout the duration of the entire tournament, they would only be able to pick from these 9 different species for each match. Each player's team sheet would be made public at the start of the tournament, meaning that you would have a little bit of information on your opponent before each match and could try to counterpick them. The team sheet would only list the Pokemon species chosen by each player. Moves, hold items, and stats would be left unspecified and could be changed between matches.

• Different ban lists. Anything that Smogon classifies as an Uber is normally banned in competitive play. I think it could be interesting to allow each player to use one Uber in each match. Or we could ban both Ubers and Overused Pokemon, forcing everyone to use lesser utilized Pokemon. Or not. I'm open to pretty much anything as far as this is concerned as long as there is a consensus for it.

• Different rule sets. For the last tournament, we enforced Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, Species Clause, Sleep Clause, and Self KO Clause. We did not enforce Item Clause. If you would like to change any of these, or if you have any ideas for other possible rules to enforce, I'm open for suggestions.

I'd also like it if participants would try to make sure that their DS has a reliable connection with their home network, or at least do everything within their power to make it as reliable as possible. I know it just can't be helped sometimes, but I really, really hate having to rely on Shoddy Battle. It's so anticlimactic, and there are a few glitches here and there that keep it from operating the same way the real game does. (I noticed, for example, that Protect works differently when the opponent switches on Shoddy, which did have a minor effect on our final tournament match.)

Any other comments or suggestions? It's early and there's no rush, but it doesn't hurt to throw some ideas out there in the meantime.

One thing that I've seen done elsewhere and think is kind of interesting is a monotype challenge, where some players construct teams entirely of one type (like gym leaders), and other players try to defeat as many of the monotype teams as possible with one team of their own (they can't build one team to beat one leader, then use a completely different team for another). This could be done continuously (not as part of a tournament), and I already have one decent monotype team and could toy around with more.

Sixfortyfive

Firestorm said:
I don't like monotype challenges because I always want to use Fire and LOOK AT ALL THE FIRE TYPES -_-
I count the same number of OUs as Ice has. I fail to see the issue. :3

I'd be game for VGC style play if I had built any serious teams for it yet. I should probably be training more of my legendaries since I'm putting in the effort to RNG abuse all of them now...

I think the last tournament was really fun and went well, but it would be fun to change it around a little bit as well.

Double Battles sounds fun, but there're probably a majority of people inexperienced in it(which can be a good thing I guess).

The monotype-gym-leader challenge sounds really really awesome! Maybe have 5 people to be gym leaders? It's probably also more friendly for people who would otherwise be out of the tournament in the first round.

Another possibility is having Monochromo teams. This limits your team to one color, making some interesting 'forced' teams.

Whatever it may be, I'm sure it's gonna be fun :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ooh if I can scrape a team together I'd love to be a leader. ^_^ You all can probably guess which type. :p I think leaders should be able to have (at most) one Pokemon that isn't their type but kinda fits though, the games have that.

Top Bottom