• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Kyzer

Banned
Yeah I'll definitely apply once it opens up. I've got a TON of things I could give away. Like perfect ATK Charmanders.

beje

Banned
Ugh, catching Chansey in the Safari is going to be a complete pain in the ass, seeing how she doesn't stay in the ball for even a single swing after mudding the hell out of her.

beje said:
Ugh, catching Chansey in the Safari is going to be a complete pain in the ass, seeing how she doesn't stay in the ball for even a single swing after mudding the hell out of her.
There are Chansey swarms in the game, or I could always breed one for ya.

Wiseblade said:
I call water type! I think those teams are fair. I think Leaders should be allowed one non type Pokémon for their teams, otherwise a lot of types will too difficult to make a passable team for half the types.

I've tried this for a fair few types and i usually manage. Having said that my water type party had a toxicroak in it :lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If you guys want to put up a vote for allowing one wildcard per Leader team, I'm up for that. I'm going to come out pretty strongly against it myself, though.

We could probably manage decent strictly monotype teams for at least 8 types. After that I don't mind it if Leaders are forced to challenge themselves in order to make something usable. If the worst defensive type in the game (ice) can at least hold its own against several general-purpose teams, then I think some of the more versatile types should be fine. I also don't think it's much of a problem if one type just isn't able to defeat everything; by definition, it shouldn't be able to. I think that locking Challengers into the same team for every match and allowing Leaders to change around their team and keep it secret would probably balance it as much as it needs to be.

But I also don't mind losing, and I enjoy the handicap of using a monotype team. I enjoy trying to making one type work as well as it possibly can.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Count me as 60/40 on the wildcard thing. I'd make sure it matches my theme even though it wouldn't be technically the same type.

One thing I'm curious about is... dunno how to ask this... when played through an emulator, do the games allow you to connect and view battle videos? I imagine not. But if it did I have some screen recording software that I could use to make the vids seem like direct feed.

Sixfortyfive

Andrex said:
One thing I'm curious about is... dunno how to ask this... when played through an emulator, do the games allow you to connect and view battle videos? I imagine not. But if it did I have some screen recording software that I could use to make the vids seem like direct feed.
I think you would probably need something like a flash cart so that you could transfer your save between the DS and the PC. Never tried anything like that myself. I get decent quality from just recording the DS directly.

SaintZ

LOL, I didn't know you got to fight Joey again. His Rattata finally turned into a Raticate and he gave a HP UP after defeating him :lol

El Sloth

Banned
SaintZ said:
LOL, I didn't know you got to fight Joey again. His Rattata finally turned into a Raticate and he gave a HP UP after defeating him :lol

I hope Game Freak decides to make an older Joey a Gym Leader or Elite Four member in their next game with three top tier(IV wise) Lv.50 Rattata's. Would be an epic cameo.

Echoes

Sixfortyfive, I want to be a Ground-type Leader. Garchomp is still banned, eh? Not that I care much (I love Ground-types very much and have a lot of trained ones already) but I thought I'd check first.

Delio

Ah i like the rough draft and i'll probably fall into the challengers. As i really dont have a ton of great things to give out. Although i'd totally take Fire if someone claimed Ground.

Sixfortyfive

Echoes said:
Sixfortyfive, I want to be a Ground-type Leader. Garchomp is still banned, eh? Not that I care much (I love Ground-types very much and have a lot of trained ones already) but I thought I'd check first.
I'm going to leave that up to everyone else.

Wiseblade

SixFortyFive, I was mainly thinking about the bug type when I posted about having a wild card. That team's pretty much free if you have SR and a fire type move on your team (which is basically every team ever).

Echoes

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm going to leave that up to everyone else.
That's cool. Also, I would love to design my Ground-badge myself. I'll try to come up with something clever and to-the-point.

I'm enjoying/anticipating this more than I should :lol

Sixfortyfive

Wiseblade said:
SixFortyFive, I was mainly thinking about the bug type when I posted about having a wild card. That team's pretty much free if you have SR and a fire type move on your team (which is basically every team ever).
Bug is kind of beyond hope IMO... Nobody is going to pick that unless they want a challenge anyway.

Mush

Am I allowed to participate as a leader via Shoddy Battle only? I still don't have a DS I can call my own, my friend's need their Pokemon fix too you know. :( I'm hoping to rectify this in the next few weeks.

I would like to use the Fighting type if possible.

Sixfortyfive

Mush said:
Am I allowed to participate as a leader via Shoddy Battle only? I still don't have a DS I can call my own, my friend's need their Pokemon fix too you know. :( I'm hoping to rectify this in the next few weeks.
I'm okay with this for now.

I might revamp the tournament thread with this stuff later tonight. I'm also up for battles right now if anyone's around.

Axis

whenever i stop being lazy and stop laying SSF4 i'm gonna actually train a team...what's the easiest way to get moves on smeargle? it's so hard to find a double battle in HG/SS =\

Sixfortyfive

Axis said:
whenever i stop being lazy and stop laying SSF4 i'm gonna actually train a team...what's the easiest way to get moves on smeargle? it's so hard to find a double battle in HG/SS =\
Twins Kay & Tia - Route 15, Saturday night
Young Couple Tim & Sue - Route 13, Friday afternoon

Kyzer

Banned
I like the wildcard idea, but only with the limitation that the wildcard knows a water-type move. A la D/P.

Edit: I didn't mean to use water as the type specifically/

Sixfortyfive

=/ Water is one of the types least in need of a wildcard. It has tons of representation and diversity already. EDIT: Oh okay then.

This is why I'm against the idea though; it would buff types that don't need to be buffed, and it would defeat the purpose of the challenge IMO. At the very least I'd want to prohibit a leader from using one unless his win percentage falls low enough to justify the need for it.

Axis

Sixfortyfive said:
Twins Kay & Tia - Route 15, Saturday night
Young Couple Tim & Sue - Route 13, Friday afternoon

thanks, now i can complete my baton pass troll team...i'm gonna get dominated trying to use a baton pass team lol

Sixfortyfive

Axis said:
thanks, now i can complete my baton pass troll team...i'm gonna get dominated trying to use a baton pass team lol
If you want a laugh, you should check out the first and only thread I created on the Smogon forums.

It is both embarrassing and inspiring, I think.

Axis

Sixfortyfive said:
If you want a laugh, you should check out the first and only thread I created on the Smogon forums.

It is both embarrassing and inspiring, I think.

PM me the link if possible? i've never used smogons message boards =/

Sixfortyfive

Kyzer said:
I don'tt get the joke. eveelution team is fine
For lulz, maybe. More than that, though, is that if you read what I wrote, I clearly did not have any understanding as to how some of those moves actually worked.

Working within limitations or a theme is fine and enjoyable, but I really didn't know what I was doing and it was a poor choice for an RMT when I hadn't yet played the game competitively at all at that point.

I did go through with making that team though, and it was decent for casual matches against a local friend until he was tired of dealing with my shit and finally started EV training.

Sixfortyfive said:
Bug is kind of beyond hope IMO... Nobody is going to pick that unless they want a challenge anyway.

I have a bug team and it is one of my favourites. It does have some big weaknesses but it does alright.

Also i find in double battles SR doesn't have as big of an impact.

Sixfortyfive

AdventureRacing said:
Also i find in double battles SR doesn't have as big of an impact.
Yep. Switches/counters aren't emphasized as much and entry hazards don't make as big of an impact because of it.

That brings up another thing to consider. A lot of people are looking at it from a Leader's perspective, but being locked into the same six Pokemon for both single and double battles against multiple monotype teams means that Challengers won't exactly have the easiest time either. The team I'm planning to use for challenges would probably blow in double battles without at least some serious moveset revamps.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sixfortyfive said:
For lulz, maybe. More than that, though, is that if you read what I wrote, I clearly did not have any understanding as to how some of those moves actually worked.

Working within limitations or a theme is fine and enjoyable, but I really didn't know what I was doing and it was a poor choice for an RMT when I hadn't yet played the game competitively at all at that point.

I did go through with making that team though, and it was decent for casual matches against a local friend until he was tired of dealing with my shit and finally started EV training.

Oh, come on. You were young and stupid. Cut yourself some slack.

One of these days I'm going to challenge you. But that requires getting off my ass to edit through Pokesav all the Pokemon I plan to use to avoid the bullshit time sink of EV/IV breeding training/oh god the OCD of competitive battles. :/

Mush

Alright, I've finished my Fighting type gym team. All I need to do now is design my badge and a snappy one liner for when I'm down to my last Pokemon.

I agree with SixFortyFive as I'm one of the many witnesses who experienced it first hand what a Monotype team is capable of ^_^;

Some monotype teams will have better synergy than others, which I think is perfectly fine, it would be nice to have a couple of Gym Leaders not to be insanely difficult.

As everybody seems to be preliminarily calling types, I preliminarily call Dark type, and I have some pretty damn awesome prizes to give away.

Also I like Andrews idea of badges. Either we can make them ourselves or get someone else to make them, should be fun.
For inspiration:
pokebadges.jpg

Sixfortyfive

I went ahead and revamped the tournament thread for the monotype challenge. Give it a read and some input. There's a poll as to what should be done about Garchomp and wildcards, so let me know what you think about those in particular.

Anyone who wants to be a type Leader should claim that type in that thread. Once they have their teams made, they should say so and declare what rules they're using for their gym. Anyone who wants to be a Challenger should declare and post their team.

El Sloth said:
I hope Game Freak decides to make an older Joey a Gym Leader or Elite Four member in their next game with three top tier(IV wise) Lv.50 Rattata's. Would be an epic cameo.

I want an elite 4 person that only uses early pokemon... ratata, caterpie, pidgey, nincada etc etc

Sixfortyfive

Anyone around for battles right now? At some point it gets kind of tiring when you're typing up a lot of stuff about Pokemon but not actually playing Pokemon. :lol

PS: Andrex where did you get the sprites for your avatar? I don't have GIMP.

If we are gonna add a badges to our avatars I suggest that we make them max 16x16 pixel size(which is the standard in the badge picture above)

Here's how it would look like with 8 badges for example (and there's probably gonna be a lot more gyms than 8)
emblemtest.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
Anyone around for battles right now? At some point it gets kind of tiring when you're typing up a lot of stuff about Pokemon but not actually playing Pokemon. :lol

PS: Andrex where did you get the sprites for your avatar? I don't have GIMP.

Screencapped YouTube. Hold on:

2h6c66f.jpg

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
I went ahead and revamped the tournament thread for the monotype challenge. Give it a read and some input. There's a poll as to what should be done about Garchomp and wildcards, so let me know what you think about those in particular.

Anyone who wants to be a type Leader should claim that type in that thread. Once they have their teams made, they should say so and declare what rules they're using for their gym. Anyone who wants to be a Challenger should declare and post their team.
I'm up for being a challenger when I finally finish Silver.

And I have a suggestion of how to solve the Dragon gym problem, since everyone has different opinions on it, how about just not having a Dragon gym at all? It's not like there wouldn't be enough types without it.

Axis

OMG Aero said:
I'm up for being a challenger when I finally finish Silver.

And I have a suggestion of how to solve the Dragon gym problem, since everyone has different opinions on it, how about just not having a Dragon gym at all? It's not like there wouldn't be enough types without it.

agreed. it can be lived without

Sixfortyfive

Yeah, I'm cool with that. I wouldn't want to deny anybody the option of claiming that type if they want it though, so a vote might as well be done anyway.

Andrex said:
Screencapped YouTube. Hold on:

2h6c66f.jpg
Thanks. Went ahead and shooped my own though. I think I am enjoying this too much.

banner_645.png

Photoshop template

Top Bottom