• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

cory

Banned
24eb1ag.jpg

Just for fun.

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
Yeah, I'm cool with that. I wouldn't want to deny anybody the option of claiming that type if they want it though, so a vote might as well be done anyway.

Thanks. Went ahead and shooped my own though. I think I am enjoying this too much.

banner_645.jpg

Photoshop template

Too big?
This page has some of the VS graphics ripped from Platinum, they aren't the same ones from HGSS but they'll be better quality than screenshots from Youtube.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
OMG Aero said:
This page has some of the VS graphics ripped from Platinum, they aren't the same ones from HGSS but they'll be better quality than screenshots from Youtube.
Oh hey, would you look at that. Thx.

I'll get around to that later. Also throwing out another battle request in about half an hour or so.

My god, Clair was an absolute pain in the ass to beat. It took me over half an hour to take her down due to that stupid Kingdra. The first Dragonair I had tank with my Togetic letting confusion chip away at it while she kept spamming Hyper Potion, but Kingdra? Urgh.

OHKO on Mareep, Sableye, Togetic and Magmar straight away, I tried to tank with Milotic and chip of tiny amount of HP with Water Pulse but she used Full Restore when it hit 1/4 hp. Switched to Bellossom and tanked again while nibbling at it's HP with Magical Leaf and putting it to sleep. Hyper Potion. Ironically tanking worked, because she completely ran out of PP for Dragon Rush, Hydro Pump and Hyper Beam letting me chip away and KO with Magical Leaf while it could only use Smokescreen.

If Lance is even worse and they don't give you the Ice Beam TM by that point, I think I'm going to cry.

OMG Aero

Azure Phoenix said:
If Lance is even worse and they don't give you the Ice Beam TM by that point, I think I'm going to cry.
You should do what I did and catch a Lapras.
It learns Ice Beam naturally and is bulky enough to survive electric attacks from Lance if you are round about the same level.

beje

Banned
Either that or overgrow your best 2 pokémon, stock around 30 hyper potions and revives, grow as many PP-recover berries as you can and abuse smokescreen/flash/sand attack. I didn't need any ice attack to beat Lance, just nerf them with Typhlosion then spam Thunder with Ampharos.

Sixfortyfive

Red Gyarados -> Ice Fang imo. Use up those X Attacks and X Speeds if you don't have Dragon Dance yet.

Attach one of those several dozen berries your mom buys you so that it can maybe take a Thunder while you're at it.

Funny... I'm getting my ass beaten by Clair and Lance at the same time in the Dragon Den!

I'm trying to beat them with a lvl 60 team, but two of my pokes are lvl 65 so I'm not using them in the battle, and it makes it pretty damn tough.

OMG Aero said:
You should do what I did and catch a Lapras.
It learns Ice Beam naturally and is bulky enough to survive electric attacks from Lance if you are round about the same level.
Good in theory, but I'm attempting to see if I can complete everything in the game with my favourite Pokemon rather than whatever is most effective. Hence the level 40 Mareep.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess the Ice Beam TM doesn't appear until way after the Elite Four, right?

Ice Beam is in the game corner I think, the same with Thunderbolt... So I'm pretty sure you can get it anytime in the game.

Fake Edit: yup, just checked! the game corner for 10000C

Well that's two TMs I'll never own then. I've never had the patience to deal with those cheating slot machines and gambing minigames since the R/B/Y days, they are all rigged against you.

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
Going to ask for one more battle request before I call it a night. Want to get some doubles practice in.
I could give you a battle with my Platinum team if you could help me trade a Lucky Egg from Platinum to Silver afterwards. Grinding Pokemon to take on the Kanto Gym leaders takes so long without it.

My team wasn't built for double battles though so I'll probably be a push over.

Sixfortyfive

OMG Aero said:
I could give you a battle with my Platinum team if you could help me trade a Lucky Egg from Platinum to Silver afterwards. Grinding Pokemon to take on the Kanto Gym leaders takes so long without it.

My team wasn't built for double battles though so I'll probably be a push over.
Both of these are fine.

Battle or trade first?

Sixfortyfive

Oh man. When I saw your 2 leads my reaction was "Yikes." :lol

Most mindless battle ever. I feel like I should apologize for that...

Echoes said:
I'm ready for a battle if anybody wants to. I'll be using my Ground-type team. FEAR THE GYM LEADER! :lol
Register it in the competition thread. If you've got a challenger team ready we could exchange challenges (my challenge team vs your gym team and vice versa).

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
Oh man. When I saw your 2 leads my reaction was "Yikes." :lol

Most mindless battle ever. I feel like I should apologize for that...
I had a feeling it would be your ice team but Gliscor and Torterra are the only two Pokemon on my team that work together. I was hoping that with a Yache Berry Gliscor would at least be able to get a Stealth rock off to weaken the rest of your team, but it wouldn't have come to that anyway. At least I didn't bring Shedinja like I wanted to :lol

Echoes

Sixfortyfive said:
Register it in the competition thread. If you've got a challenger team ready we could exchange challenges (my challenge team vs your gym team and vice versa).
I just registered my Gym. I have to go to work now, from there I'll construct my Challenger team.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cory said:
24eb1ag.jpg

Just for fun.

Looks awesome. :lol

I think Sixfort City should be at the point in the upper right and serve as the Battle Frontier. :lol And also there should be a port for the Jet Boat route between Ohtee and Metrark.

Just started my massive legendary hunt. Caught Suicune so far, damn dog just wouldn't stay in the balls, and now Zapdos is causing just as much trouble >_<

Then it's
Articuno
Moltres
Latias
Kyogre
Rauquaza
Lugia
and then finally Mewtwo.

I really hope I have the balls for this! ;-)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Metroid Killer said:
My Dark Gym Leader avatar
darkgymleader.png

Not gonna use it before I actually have a team ready.

Nice map cory, love Ohtee Town :lol

Is that an original badge? Hrmm I might have to make one of my own as well.

Echoes

Okay, I'm back to the Battle Tower. Battle 50, praying to reach 100 :lol

Lucario's out (I love you!), Azelf in. Stealth Rock (no more Focus Sash wins :mad:) then EXPLOSION LOL. Fire Blast is there just in case.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OMG Aero said:
25tx0us.jpg

I spent way too much time on this.

I was going to say, you should make the path look like an N, but you did. Nice. :D

Apparently I'm Gym Leader #2 or 3. Awesome!

Echoes

That is so great, OMG Aero! I'm obviously in the NeoLeague right?!! :lol

I have a Q. Will a Focus Sash hinders a KO move? Like, will Fissure leave me with 1HP while holding Focus Sash? Because I faced 3 Wallrein and no one used it. I simply SR+Explosion. Azelf is winning all the matches, really. I'm at Battle 64 because of her.

Echoes

Okay, what the fuck?

Azelf uses Stealth Rock
Quagsire uses Surf
-
Quagsire uses Surf
Azelf fainted

???????????!!!!!

Garchomp uses Outrage
Quagsire uses Surf
-
Quagsire uses Surf

What the in the fucking fuck is this?

Jokey665

Echoes said:
Okay, what the fuck?

Azelf uses Stealth Rock
Quagsire uses Surf
-
Quagsire uses Surf
Azelf fainted

???????????!!!!!

Garchomp uses Outrage
Quagsire uses Surf
-
Quagsire uses Surf

What the in the fucking fuck is this?

Speed ties? Quick Claw?

Echoes

Jokey665 said:
Speed ties? Quick Claw?
No way speed ties, because Azelf is way faster than Garchomp (and Quagsire is a slow poke anyway). And Quick Claw shows a little animation that tells you that it's activated AFAIK. I'm sure he's not holding a Choice item, having moved 2nd to both Azelf and Garchomp (and then moved 1st) tells me he's not.

Tower hax :p

I've tried it before where my pokemon attacks first in the 1st round, and then in the next round the other pokemon attacks first.

But it's hard to tell why with so much stuff going on in the world of pokemon battles, especially when you can't see the held item. I usually shrug it off and curse at the hax.

Echoes

Oh well. You're right.

Oh and by the way, I'm considering the removal of Starmie. Seriously, as awesome as she is in the early matches, she just sucks defensively because ANY STAB unresisted attack will kill her, which sucks. Not sure what I'm replacing her with, though, since she has such an awesome move-set. Maybe Electivire or Gengar?

Garchomp w/ Choice Band is deadly, so I'm keeping him. Azelf is pretty much the best lead ever, even though the A.I keeps on trying to cheat his way through her.

Jokey665

Echoes said:
Oh well. You're right.

Oh and by the way, I'm considering the removal of Starmie. Seriously, as awesome as she is in the early matches, she just sucks defensively because ANY STAB unresisted attack will kill her, which sucks. Not sure what I'm replacing her with, though, since she has such an awesome move-set. Maybe Electivire or Gengar?

Garchomp w/ Choice Band is deadly, so I'm keeping him. Azelf is pretty much the best lead ever, even though the A.I keeps on trying to cheat his way through her.

I made it to 115 in Pearl with Garchomp, Starmie, and Lucario. /shrug

Echoes

Jokey665 said:
LIES!

Haha, no surprise mate, as I used that exact team to tear through the game until Battle 50, in which I changed Lucario with Azelf. As much as I love Lucario, SR+Explosion (or Fire Blast, dependable) is great. Honestly, the idea sucks on paper, but upon trying it out - it's fantastic.

My Chomp has an Adamant nature. Now I'm thinking about it; isn't Choice Scarf better than Choice Band? CB Outrage hits hard, but CS will let me outspeed everything lol.

Razer Reds

Neo Member
About the monotype challenge leader positions, can anyone be a leader as long as the type they choose is open? I'd like to be the Steel leader.

Firestorm

Echoes said:
Oh well. You're right.

There are very few Pokemon faster than Starmie capable of killing it in one hit unless you haven't EV'd it at all. Use a Starmie with Expert Belt and you should be tearing through a lot of the Battle Tower.

Sixfortyfive

Jokey665 said:
The Platinum/HGSS Frontier has different movesets for the AI trainers, so the same strategies won't necessarily work.

The easiest way to build a long streak is with a Trick + Choice Item lead. Matches typically take longer to finish, but you're less likely to be screwed over.

Top Bottom