• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Echoes

Wow, those videos are disgusting. Kyogre, Groudon, Palkia, Giratina, Rayquaza... It's like the most boring shit ever.

I would (and wish I could) fight them with my current doubles-team that has zero legendaries in it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Firestorm said:
At LV100:
1 IV = 1 stat point
4 EVs = 1 stat point

But IVs max at 31 while EVs go up to like 255.

So for a single stat at level 100...

Max stat possible given by IV: 31
Max stat possible given by EV: 63

Andrex said:
But IVs max at 31 while EVs go up to like 255.

So for a single stat at level 100...

Max stat possible given by IV: 31
Max stat possible given by EV: 63
God, I wish there was a quicker way of checking IVs. I've only got one EV trained 'mon at the moment and the only reason I know it has a good speed IV is that its speed stat was like 2 higher than its siblings of the same nature at level 1.

I have like 11 Rare Candies (found randomly throughout the game, never used a single one). I need 38 more.

Zigzagoon don't start picking up Rare Candies with any kind of regularity until they're like level 90, right? >:-0

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think I have 30-odd rare candies now, all found in the main adventure (never bought any yet.) Might even be 40 by now.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that woman in National Park gives you one. :lol I suspect other NPCs give you them too, although most just give out the medicine like Carbos.

I'm looking for a female Mawile ( Lv 25-35 or an egg) but i really don't have much to trade but a Leafeon and Glaceon ( I could give you both). Mawile is one of my favorite pokemon but I would be able to get one until later in the game...and since the ds cannot play nice with wpa I don't have much time ( WIFI dongle fuckin sucks).if anyone could help me out it would be appreciated.

FC:4168 7565 8924

Caddywompus said:
I can get you a Mawile egg. Give me a few minutes. You don't happen to have a Mudkip do you?

no I do not...sorry.

I don't really have much ( I can't find my diamond or platinum games but even then I doubt I have anything worth a damn)

edit: Thank but I found someone willing to trade. Thanks anyway

So I got a Charmander egg from someone, and when it finally hatched it had Crunch, Dragon Rush, Flare Blitz, and Dragon Dance as moves. I'm confused, is that normal?

killertofu said:
So I got a Charmander egg from someone, and when it finally hatched it had Crunch, Dragon Rush, Flare Blitz, and Dragon Dance as moves. I'm confused, is that normal?
OMGZ YOU GOT A GLITCHED CHARMANDER SHUT OFF YOUR DS AND NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN IT'S EVIL KILL IT WITH FIRE

When breeding pokemon, you can set things up so that the children inherit some of the moves the father knows. So for example, breeding a female Charmander with a male Dragonite that knows Dragon Dance will produce a Charmander that knows Dragon Dance.

This method can be used to get moves on pokemon that they cannot learn via level-up or via TMs. TM moves can be inherited by this method also.

killertofu said:
That is fucking sweet. I didn't even know you could cross breed pokemon. I'm such a noob.
There are breeding guides on the net that'll tell you which moves can be passed down onto which pokemon (not all of them can be) and which pokemon are compatible to breed with which (a Skitty cannot breed with a Relicanth, for instance, but can with a Wailord - they're organised into egg groups, with some belonging to more than one group).

There are even breeding chain guides for getting some rare/strange combinations going on the same pokemon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Some would say Pokemon is just a breeding simulator, with an RPG built around that. :lol

But yeah. Chain breeding is one of the more complex aspects.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Skitty cannot breed with a Relicanth, for instance, but can with a Wailord

HOT_SKITTY_ON_WAILORD_ACTION_by_superphail.jpg

Sorry I just had to. So far I've finished the Kanto & Johto dex. Now I need to get after Hoenn & Sinnoh and eventually I will be finished!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm soooo close to completing the Kanto dex. Only thing I need are the stage 2 and 3 evolutions of the starters, the stage two evolutions of the fossils and Aerodactyl, and the two fighters. And Electrode, strangely enough. Then I'll have achieved Childhood Dream #45!

Also I totally flubbed, viciouskillersquirrel. I only have 23 rare candies. :lol

PS- Are the white and black flutes useful at all?

Andrex said:
I'm soooo close to completing the Kanto dex. Only thing I need are the stage 2 and 3 evolutions of the starters, the stage two evolutions of the fossils and Aerodactyl, and the two fighters. And Electrode, strangely enough. Then I'll have achieved Childhood Dream #45!

Also I totally flubbed, viciouskillersquirrel. I only have 23 rare candies. :lol
:lol

Well, they are rare, after all. After I'm done beefing my team up to take on
Red (faced him with a Lv 59/60 team and he pulls out this monster Lv 85 Pikachu that proceeds to one-shot everything), I'm going to see about grinding a Linoone up to 100. Wish me luck.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Linoone? Why that one? But best of luck.

Putting the finishing touches on the much-awaited fifth member of my flying gym. Just one more! Then I can go back to filling my Pokedex. :lol

Andrex said:
PS- Are the white and black flutes useful at all?

Little bit. I use the White Flute to make EV training go a little bit faster, but the Black Flute is only really useful when you're out of Repels. I'm not sure, but I think both need to be replayed when you move to a different Route or floor of a dungeon.

Question: How useful/accurate is an online IV calculator at lower levels (say 1 - 10)?

Woo!

Using MetalKid's IV calculator (and thanks to the fact that I know what its EVs are), I've worked out that I have a Jumpluff with:

HP: 15 - 16
Atk: 8
Def: 20
Sp.Atk: 17
Sp.Def: 26
Speed: 29

Bolded are the stats I care about :D

Andrex said:
They're not one-time use?

Nope, you can use them as many times as you like. They're like Key Items, only they aren't actually key to anything :lol

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Question: How useful/accurate is an online IV calculator at lower levels (say 1 - 10)?

As far as I know, Metalkid's is the only one that narrows down your IV ranges as you feed it more information. The rest only give you one level's worth of information, which means the Poke has to be over Level 50 or so, but with Metalkid's you can put in its stats at Level 1, then use a Rare Candy and put in its stats at Level 2 and so on. You can usually get pretty accurate readings after only a few levels.

Andrex said:
Oh wow, so I can stop buying repels forever?? O_O

Unfortunately not. The Black Flute doesn't stop wild Pokemon from appearing, it just decreases the chances. I think the Flutes have the same effect as Pokemon with the abilities Illuminate or Stench. It seems like if you play the Black Flute you can run through grass with the same encounter rate as walking through it without the Flute. It's much easier to just stock up on Max Repels.

cory

Banned
How involved is it to trade to yourself with the help of another person? I think I'm going to trade my Infernape, Drifloon, Stunky, Cranidos, Dialga, and Uxie over to HeartGold from Diamond before I start a new game. But that's a lot of work.

cory said:
How involved is it to trade to yourself with the help of another person? I think I'm going to trade my Infernape, Drifloon, Stunky, Cranidos, Dialga, and Uxie over to HeartGold from Diamond before I start a new game. But that's a lot of work.
It's just two trades, nothing big really. Me and Balb traded around 30 pokemon some months ago, that trade started to look big ;-)

cory

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
It's just two trades, nothing big really. Me and Balb traded around 30 pokemon some months ago, that trade started to look big ;-)
Oh, cool. I must have traded a Stunky for a Glameow along the way, so I just caught one real quick. I only have the 7 exclusive Pokémon that I have to trade, but I could do a few more to make things easier for myself.

I've completed two more pokemon with high IV stats and they're both absolute brutes in the strength department. I can't wait to get the last three or so of these guys.

Their stock stats are better than some EV trained stats which is freaking ridiculous. This whole experience has been a blast.
:D

I EV trained a sub seed Jumpluff(perfect speed IV XD) and leveling up this little bugger is really tough. No matter who your enemy is, it will take ages to defeat.

I'm just rebatlling different trainer, Sleep Powder, Substitute, Leech Seed then use this little trick I found to buy time...THROW POKEBALLS while the enemy is asleep! the enemy trainer will block my pokeballs and they will just return on my bag and you don't lose pokeball. That way, I'm not wasting PP while waiting for the enemy to die from leech seed.

9 more levels until level 50 though :(

Mush

NinjaBoyLao said:
I'm just rebatlling different trainer, Sleep Powder, Substitute, Leech Seed then use this little trick I found to buy time...THROW POKEBALLS while the enemy is asleep! the enemy trainer will block my pokeballs and they will just return on my bag and you don't lose pokeball.

OMG :lol

Morokh

Just finished to breed my first team with 31 IV in the two, or three most important stats for each of them with decent ones for the rest (except for the one stat they really don't need, like SpAttack for physical Sweepers or so ...) and god, THAT was long with only 1 perfect Ditto xD

Going to EV-train those now (already did 2) and that seems pretty quick in comparison :lol

Urgh, I'm starting to hate the crap breeding system in this game. I've just gone through an entire box of Vulpix eggs, 10 of which were female (meant to be a 75% chance) and only 2 of those were Timid (meant to be a 50% chance of passing down nature).

I run a check of the IVs, 1 of them has 25 Sp Attack and crap everything else. The other one is just freaking ridiculous:

0 HP / 27 Attack / 6 Defence / 0 Sp Attack / 0 Sp Defence / 4 Speed

It's no wonder people just hack Pokemon with perfect IVs when they make such a huge difference and are so damn random.

Mystery pokemon #1:
??? - (Adamant): 31 / 31 / 29 / 31 / 24 / 31
Mystery pokemon #2:
??? - (Timid): 31 / 6 / 26 / 31 / 19 / 22
Mystery pokemon #3:
??? - (Adamant): 11 / 31 / 17 / 30 / 31 / 16

This is pretty damn amazing. I could have gotten better stats with the third one, but I'm pretty happy overall. I can't wait to finish with all of my pokes.

No hacks either.
:D :D :D
Azure Phoenix said:
Urgh, I'm starting to hate the crap breeding system in this game. I've just gone through an entire box of Vulpix eggs, 10 of which were female (meant to be a 75% chance) and only 2 of those were Timid (meant to be a 50% chance of passing down nature).

I run a check of the IVs, 1 of them has 25 Sp Attack and crap everything else. The other one is just freaking ridiculous:

0 HP / 27 Attack / 6 Defence / 0 Sp Attack / 0 Sp Defence / 4 Speed

It's no wonder people just hack Pokemon with perfect IVs when they make such a huge difference and are so damn random.
I had to read this before posting my results and I felt pretty bad man.

:(

Are you using power items to pass down IVs?

It sucks to not have an IV ditto.

cory

Banned
Anyone want to help me trade a few Pokémon from Diamond to HeartGold?
Diamond FC: 4081 1974 0220
HeartGold FC: 2837 3104 7002

SolarPowered said:
Are you using power items to pass down IVs?

It sucks to not have an IV ditto.
I don't have any power items, aside from not having cleared the Elite Four I wouldn't be able to get them regardless since my team is not good enough to take on the Battle Frontier. Nor do I have a Ditto with anything even approaching average IVs.

However after another full box of Vulpix eggs I did manage to get one with the following stats, not great but it's the best I'll ever get:

2 HP / 5 Attack / 0 Defence / 26 Sp Attack / 30 Sp Defence / 23 Speed

Now to go and kill 126 Rattata and 126 Natu with the Macho Brace to EV train this damn thing :(

Azure Phoenix said:
I don't have any power items, aside from not having cleared the Elite Four I wouldn't be able to get them regardless since my team is not good enough to take on the Battle Frontier. Nor do I have a Ditto with anything even approaching average IVs.

However after another full box of Vulpix eggs I did manage to get one with the following stats, not great but it's the best I'll ever get:

2 HP / 5 Attack / 0 Defence / 26 Sp Attack / 30 Sp Defence / 23 Speed

Now to go and kill 126 Rattata and 126 Natu with the Macho Brace to EV train this damn thing :(
It'll probably take you a while to get all the power items so I'd help out if you'd like.

I could just enter the battle frontier where I could easily get to palmer a few times. I might have at least 3 power items by 11pm tonight if I have some extra free time.

Would you like that?

Edit:
You don't have Pokerus either?!

O_O

SolarPowered said:
Edit:
You don't have Pokerus either?!

O_O
I managed to get it on Sapphire, but since the Pal Park is in Fuchsia City I can't bring over one of my many infected Zigzagoons until well after the Elite Four.

As for your offer I just can't accept that, it would be a huge amount of work for you and I don't have anything good enough to offer in exchange.

Edit: Cory I can give you a hand if I can get my wireless connection working (its been dodgy all day). FC is 4855 9004 1361

Yes, I've entered both of them. If you are in the trade room and can't see me I'll jump out and check they are correct, but I'm almost certain I entered them correctly.

cory

Banned
I just realized that my cousin has an extra DS that I could've borrowed for a few weeks when I was there yesterday. XD

Wiseblade

Seriously, trying to EV train before beating the Elite 4 Is just an exercise in fustration. I suggest focusing on the main game for now and just asking for all the stuff like pokerus, power items and good IV dittos from Gaffers afterward.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
Seriously, trying to EV train before beating the Elite 4 Is just an exercise in fustration. I suggest focusing on the main game for now and just asking for all the stuff like pokerus, power items and good IV dittos from Gaffers afterward.

Yeah. 645 didn't preface the competitive thread with exactly that for nothing.

Top Bottom