• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Damn you, SolarPowered. I've only just started to measure IVs and there's a pokemon I'm currently breeding where I want very specific IVs. One of them has like 30 in a stat I don't want and garbage in the others, one has a perfect Hidden Power Ice, but not the Sp.Atk as a species to take advantage of it and another is tantalisingly close to being perfect (i.e. stats >27), but for a single screwed-up stat of 4.

It's frustrating.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't *really* pay attention to IVs beyond speed and maybe one other stat I really want. If the Battle Tower guy says they're "superior overall" then I'm happy. :)

Andrex said:
I don't *really* pay attention to IVs beyond speed and maybe one other stat I really want. If the Battle Tower guy says they're "superior overall" then I'm happy. :)
It's more a case of I don't want to get into future tournaments where the other guy has a choice banded / life orb'd perfect IV Garchomp and I can't outspeed its ass because I'm off by 3 speed IVs. 31 points can mean a great deal of difference in that setting.

Luckily, I'm not that worried about it. As long as an IV I want is above 27 (or below 5, if that's what I'm going for), I'm satisfied.

Mystery pokemon #5:
??? - (Timid): 19 / 31 / 10 / 16 / 31 / 31
Mystery pokemon #6:
??? - (Timid): 15 / 31 / 30 / 31 / 30 / 31
Mystery pokemon #7:
??? - (Modest): 15 / 9 / 3 / 31 / 30 / 31

I won't be using mystery pokemon 6 or 7 unless I know exactly what I'm getting into, but I'm pretty happy with these stats. Mystery pokemon #5 was not even supposed to be viable for battle until I checked with the IV guy.
:D
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Damn you, SolarPowered. I've only just started to measure IVs and there's a pokemon I'm currently breeding where I want very specific IVs. One of them has like 30 in a stat I don't want and garbage in the others, one has a perfect Hidden Power Ice, but not the Sp.Atk as a species to take advantage of it and another is tantalisingly close to being perfect (i.e. stats >27), but for a single screwed-up stat of 4.

It's frustrating.
Yeah, you'd be pretty surprised at the huge amount of work it took to get all of these pokes so far. I've basically cast aside all of my old pokemon in favor of new ones. I know very well that they're all just bits of data, but I can't help feeling just a tiny attachment to some of my kickass pokemon that I trained the old fashioned way.

:(

I've been pretty lucky with the IV breeding so far so I can't complain too much. The power items and that ditto are the items that truly made it happen for me so I have to appreciate the people who helped me get this far.
Azure Phoenix said:
I managed to get it on Sapphire, but since the Pal Park is in Fuchsia City I can't bring over one of my many infected Zigzagoons until well after the Elite Four.

As for your offer I just can't accept that, it would be a huge amount of work for you and I don't have anything good enough to offer in exchange.
Okay, I wouldn't have had a problem with helping out anyway. All the people who gave me things that I couldn't get on my own were probably just trying to make me grow into a better trainer as fast as possible. I like to think that I can help someone speed up their development in the game along with their enjoyment and you seemed pretty frustrated about the system.

All the help I got really helped me to understand the nuances of the game much more easily without getting angry or confused. If you ever need any items or pokes let me know.

SaintZ

Oh. My. Gawd. I HATE roaming Pokémon. I've been chasing Raikou and Entei for the last hour and jeebus, they are a pain in the ass. I mean, I used Sleep Powder on them and they still flee? The HELL? Are they sleepwalkers or something? Fuckers.

I finally caught Raikou and it was glorious. The only downside is that I ran out of Fast Balls. I don't know if I have the patience to go after Entei right now either and I don't even want to imagine chasing Latios over Kanto.

cory

Banned
SaintZ said:
Oh. My. Gawd. I HATE roaming Pokémon. I've been chasing Raikou and Entei for the last hour and jeebus, they are a pain in the ass. I mean, I used Sleep Powder on them and they still flee? The HELL? Are they sleepwalkers or something? Fuckers.

I finally caught Raikou and it was glorious. The only downside is that I ran out of Fast Balls. I don't know if I have the patience to go after Entei right now either and I don't even want to imagine chasing Latios over Kanto.
Find a spot where 2 routes with easily accessible grass meet, and go in between them while checking your map. Wait for them to come to you. Sleep will still affect them across battles.

SaintZ said:

Catch a Wobuffet. Their power traps them into the battle so once you get them once, you can finish it right then and there.

upandaway

viciouskillersquirrel said:
It's more a case of I don't want to get into future tournaments where the other guy has a choice banded / life orb'd perfect IV Garchomp and I can't outspeed its ass because I'm off by 3 speed IVs. 31 points can mean a great deal of difference in that setting.

Luckily, I'm not that worried about it. As long as an IV I want is above 27 (or below 5, if that's what I'm going for), I'm satisfied.
As far as IVs go in anywhere that isn't speed, you can spend your time elsewhere as long as they are higher than average.

Damage is randomized anyway. Unless there's a very common attack that you want to survive at max damage, "above average" IVs should do.

Wiseblade said:
Seriously, trying to EV train before beating the Elite 4 Is just an exercise in fustration. I suggest focusing on the main game for now and just asking for all the stuff like pokerus, power items and good IV dittos from Gaffers afterward.
I have to level up Ninetales for the Elite Four anyway. I can either EV train now or I'm going to need to grow even more of those EV reducing berries, and I already need 50 of each type as it is.

SolarPowered said:
Okay, I wouldn't have had a problem with helping out anyway. All the people who gave me things that I couldn't get on my own were probably just trying to make me grow into a better trainer as fast as possible. I like to think that I can help someone speed up their development in the game along with their enjoyment and you seemed pretty frustrated about the system.
If you are absolutely sure that it's a not a problem, then I probably will have to take you up on your offer for help. These Rattatas are driving me up the wall and I'm almost ready just to give up and abandon the game because of all this IV and EV nonsense.

Rocksteady33 said:
Hate to ask again, but any chance someone would trade my Poliwhirl to get a Politoed? I'd really appreciate it!
If you have the Kings Rock already I'll be around for the next 3 hours and can give you a hand. FC is 4855 9004 1361

Aurora

I find it absolutely insane that you guys are spending countless hours breeding over and over in the hope of getting decent IVs. Save editor is where it's at. It removes all the needless frustration and makes the game a million times more enjoyable.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'll be on and off GAF for the next few hours for battling if anyone's around.

Aurora said:
I find it absolutely insane that you guys are spending countless hours breeding over and over in the hope of getting decent IVs. Save editor is where it's at. It removes all the needless frustration and makes the game a million times more enjoyable.
Generally I don't mind playing against people who hack, so long as they disclose what they hack for and that all of their end results are possible to obtain legitimately. The problem that I end up running into is that sometimes people hack illegal Pokemon without even realizing it.

Let's say you bump into a certain Pokemon in the wild and catch it with one of your many-cloned Master Balls. Then later you decide that you want to raise it for competitive purposes, so you edit the nature to one of your choosing, set all the IVs to 31, distribute EVs as needed, and add in some egg moves, thinking that you're constructing a legal result. But if you use this Pokemon against me in battle, my initial thought process upon seeing the Pokemon is as follows:

- This Pokemon came out of a Master Ball, which means that it was caught in the wild and not bred. Bred Pokemon are always in normal Poke Balls.
- This Pokemon likely has suboptimal IVs, as there are only a select few natures that are possible to find with all-31 IV spreads without breeding. There are no physical sweeper natures that have all 31s. I might not have to worry about speed ties unless I know my opponent is a pretty serious battler.
- This Pokemon has no egg moves. Depending on the species, this could make prediction much easier for me.

If the above turns out to be false, then I know my opponent is hacking. And even though he might not mean to cheat, it's still kind of lame.

This isn't directed towards you specifically, but if you're going to go to that length to obtain perfect Pokemon, at least be knowledgeable about what you're changing.

Aurora

No, I completely agree. If I do hack a Pokémon I make sure the stats and nature combinations are all legit. The editor actually has an option that scans the stats and highlights any that are illegal within the specific combination. I have no problem reducing stats or changing natures in order to stay within the legal parameters, and in fact I always do this. Those that force max IVs and natures onto their Pokémon regardless of what's legal ruin the game for the others.

I always tell people I'm battling that I'm using hacked (albeit legal) Pokémon. A lot of them have done the same, or are confident enough with their IVs that they don't care. Otherwise, I've also created a second version of each of my Pokémon with medium IVs which I'll use if people are unhappy battling the other team.

To be honest, I would rather obtain Pokémon legitimately, and greatly respect those that do, but Gamefreak have just made it way too frustrating and random for me to go through with it.

On a different note, did you release the video of your tournament winning team 645? Would love to see it.

joelseph

Aurora said:
To be honest, I would rather obtain Pokémon legitimately, and greatly respect those that do, but Gamefreak have just made it way too frustrating and random for me to go through with it.

You are the problem, not Gamefreak.

Aurarian

Does anyone here know if you can share pokewalker routes? I just wanted to get the yellow forest one cause I wanted a pikachu with the light ball. If not, does anyone have a pikachu with one that they don't want or w/e. :D

Sixfortyfive

joelseph said:
You are the problem, not Gamefreak.
Nah, Gamefreak is also a problem. There is no sensible reason to make IVs work the way they do. I can deal with the random in-battle luck factors fine (accuracy, criticals, etc.), but when you start getting into the mechanics that make Hidden Power work the way it does and whatnot, you're way into some flat-out silly territory there. When something like this is the easiest way to guarantee IVs, then you've fucked up your game design somewhere. It's just a bad system.

I also don't like to criticize others for different playstyles and rules, whether it involves playing strictly to win, playing with favorites, playing with joke Pokemon for the sake of it, or even hacking, so long as all parties involved in the match itself are cool with it. I don't have to play against others who use rules or methods that I don't like, and I'd rather just move on and let them enjoy themselves instead of lecture them about how they're "doing it wrong."

Besides, the most blatant cheaters are usually the worst players and can be incredibly fun to curbstomp every now and then.

Chavelo

I totally agree with what both Sixfortyfive and Aurora are saying...

Right now I'm in the process of going thru Kanto for the 2nd set of badges, and been using my "story mode" pokemon to go against my friends via wifi/local... SoulSilver is the first pokemon game I have been able to play against other people with (considering I went thru the two first generations not able to find anyone to go against with back in the day, and playing the ROMs for the 3rd generation on PC), so the whole breeding metagame sounds kinda fun to me.

But just learning about all the different ways the RNG can fuck up your pokemon with you not able to do anything about it really ruins it for me (I play WoW, so I really don't want another game where I bang my head when, in the 10th kill of Saurfang, Deathbringer's Will drops and I get screwed over to a silly rogue :-/)

But I don't see myself ever hacking the saves to get "perfect" pokemon, cause to me, it would feel like I'm cheating... I think I can live with myself if I just set up the groundwork for the pokemon I want and work from there, more like the famous shortcut thru Rainbow Road in Mario Kart 64 instead of just hacking the game to get stars all the time and blowing thru the track.

If I ever get to set that up though, of course I'll tell the opponent up front of what I did, and will have the 2nd "legit" team for the cases where they don't want to fight with that team. :p

DAMN....

POKEMON IS SERIOUS FUCKING BUSINESS, MANG

BTW, can any of ya dudes send me to the direction to the save editor that you're using?

Sixfortyfive

FWIW, I've heard that the legality checkers on those sorts of things aren't perfect. I know a pretty reputable guy who RNG'd some projects on one of the GBA games, and they got flagged as invalid by one of those. I'm not very familiar with Pokesav or related programs myself.

What in the world is going on in here?

The pokemon that I hatched legitimately may be unusable just because their stats and IVs are high?

The pokesav and RNG stuff seems like overkill, but I definitely put a lot of work into raising pokemon the old fashioned way. The only thing that was out of the ordinary was the ditto.

Are my pokes not preferable for battle now?

Aurora

645 was just talking about the legality checkers on the save editors, not Nintendo servers or anything like that. Your Pokémon are definitely fine.

Aurora said:
645 was just talking about the legality checkers on the save editors, not Nintendo servers or anything like that. Your Pokémon are definitely fine.
Oh, ok.

Speaking of hacks...

A freaking crawdaunt just destroyed my Gyarados and Starmie with first hits while my Gliscor managed to outspeed it.

Freaking battle hall man.
:lol :lol :lol

cory

Banned
Anyone want to help me trade over a Turtwig to HeartGold real quick?
They make you do a lot before you can trade in DPPt.
Diamond: 0904 5826 9470
HeartGold: 2837 3104 7002

Then I can explore Sinnoh again, cause I'm not getting up to level for the 2ndE4/Red any time soon in HG.

cory said:

Then I can explore Sinnoh again, cause I'm not getting up to level for the 2ndE4/Red any time soon in HG.
I'm available if you still need the help.

cory said:

Sure I'll give you another hand, I'll be on a couple of mins.

Edit: Beaten badly

cory said:
Ok. Anything you want from HG?
If Azure is gone then I'll get online in a second.

I don't need anything unless you have a trapinch or bagon of any gender.

Fake edit:
I've already got both of your friend codes and you've got mine as well.

I'm still around, so I'll head on and you can pick whichever person you want to trade with XD

Edit: Heading off now, since I've been waiting in the trade room for about half an hour.

Azure Phoenix said:
I'm still around, so I'll head on and you can pick whichever person you want to trade with XD
You trade with him and I'll get on the battlehall. I'll turn my laptop off while I'm at it.

*wipes forehead*

cory said:
Whoops, sorry, I got caught up in something.
The Diamond FC is different because I started a new game.
Right, I didn't notice that. If you want me to jump on again to do the trade just reply to this and I'll do so.

cory said:
How does one acquire Life Orbs? Short of panhandling GAF members.
Ruins of Alph in HS/SS and Stark Mountain in D/P/Pt, you can't get multiple ones without "panhandling".

OMG Aero

Man I wish Self Destruct was an egg move for Snorlax. I managed to get a Munchlax from the Pokewalker today but it has a bad nature :(

Also, I don't suppose anyone has a foreign Ditto left over from the Charmander breeding contest that they don't want any more? I think I might try breeding for a shiny Nincada.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just passed the 200 hour mark on SoulSilver. :) Two days short of two full months of playing. :D

Forkball

I got a Munchlax and a Focus Sash on my first run through with Winner's Path. I consider it redemption considering I didn't get any Pikachu I wanted.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I was kinda devastated when I found out (by accident :/) that the Focus Sash is a consumable item. :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Took me about as much time as I thought it would, and here it is! GAF's flying gym is open for business. While not totally complete (5/6 bred/EV trained), I have a stand in flying type as the sixth. It's a lot weaker than the rest of my lineup, but I figure we can't be too tough on the challengers. Plus my prize is admittedly kinda weak. :lol I'll be the "first" GAF gym for newbies I guess. :p

= FLYING GYM =
set9wl.jpg

My team has conquered gravity! Do you really think you stand a chance?

Friend Code: 0560-9071-3586 (SoulSilver)
Availability: 9 PM to 2 AM Eastern
Rules: Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, Sleep Clause, Shoddy Battle Prohibited
Prize: Brave Bird + Whirlwind Male Skarmory​

I'm up for battles tonight but I have to make a temporary adjustment; I'll be available past 9:30 PM.

Rocksteady33

Azure Phoenix said:
If you have the Kings Rock already I'll be around for the next 3 hours and can give you a hand. FC is 4855 9004 1361

Erggg, sorry I missed this man. Yeah I have a Kings Rock, just a quick trade from anyone? I'm on now and will be for a bit. I'll check this thread for the next hour. :)

Andrex said:
Took me about as much time as I thought it would, and here it is! GAF's flying gym is open for business. While not totally complete (5/6 bred/EV trained), I have a stand in flying type as the sixth. It's a lot weaker than the rest of my lineup, but I figure we can't be too tough on the challengers. Plus my prize is admittedly kinda weak. :lol I'll be the "first" GAF gym for newbies I guess. :p

= FLYING GYM =
set9wl.jpg

My team has conquered gravity! Do you really think you stand a chance?

Friend Code: 0560-9071-3586 (SoulSilver)
Availability: 9 PM to 2 AM Eastern
Rules: Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, Sleep Clause, Shoddy Battle Prohibited
Prize: Brave Bird + Whirlwind Male Skarmory​

I'm up for battles tonight but I have to make a temporary adjustment; I'll be available past 9:30 PM.
Looks realy professional. I can't wait until this gym leader thing really gets rolling.
:D
On another topic:
I've got everything you need ready Azure. I'll be ready to trade tommorow after 4PM EST.

cory

Banned
I think I'm going to play through Diamond with the following rules:
•You must catch every Pokémon in every route you come across.
•You cannot level up your party Pokémon until they are all the same level.
•You must keep your box Pokémon within 5 levels of your party Pokémon.
It'll take me forever to get through the main game, but it'll be fun.

SlickVic

I realize catching the legendaries are not supposed to be easy, but the catch rates for the roaming Pokemon are a tad ridiculous. Based on your luck, you either catch them fast or waste countless hours. I caught Entei on my 3rd try (after getting it down to red health and all that) but I must be on my 12 attempt on Raikou throwing Dusk Balls and no go. And yes, I have been biking from Ecruteak to Route 37 to make finding them a tad easier.

I know I don't HAVE to get it but put so much time into this now, almost feels dumb to give up now.

Edit: ...And about half an hour later I manage to catch it. Took 8 dusk balls, which I guess isn't awful. Good riddance to roaming Pokemon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wonder if the shiny beasts will come over here... :/

I mean, probably right? Since they tie into B&W and all...

Top Bottom