• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
cory said:
I think I'm going to play through Diamond with the following rules:
•You must catch every Pokémon in every route you come across.
•You cannot level up your party Pokémon until they are all the same level.
•You must keep your box Pokémon within 5 levels of your party Pokémon.
It'll take me forever to get through the main game, but it'll be fun.
Why would you do this to yourself?

In other news, I just took a glance at the B&W starters and it seems that Grass will reign supreme once again.

cory

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Why would you do this to yourself?

In other news, I just took a glance at the B&W starters and it seems that Grass will reign supreme once again.
I don't know XD, because your box pokemon will become your party pokemon, so it'll be just terrible.

TJ Spyke

Is there a dedicate trade thread or is that done here? I haven't been on GAF in awhile and I know Diamon/Pearl had a lot of people here willing to help others complete their Pokedex. I'm trying to get the legendaries not in SoulSilver (including ones that need stuff from Nintendo, like Arceus/Darkrai/Regigigas,etc.) and other Pokemon not in SoulSilver.

Forkball

Sweet god Mewtwo is impossible to catch. I got Ho-Oh with my first Ultra Ball but this bastard won't go down. I got him to a pixel of health, and wasted over 30 Ultra Balls. Then he decides to use Struggle and kills himself.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Good Lord now I'm getting into hardcore berry planting. This game just keeps rubbing me back and forth over its various features...

cory said:
I have 2 Master Balls cause I traded one over from my old Diamond save. What should I use them on?

Roamers. Save yourself the grief.

Forkball said:
Sweet god Mewtwo is impossible to catch. I got Ho-Oh with my first Ultra Ball but this bastard won't go down. I got him to a pixel of health, and wasted over 30 Ultra Balls. Then he decides to use Struggle and kills himself.
Just had the same thing this morning. Level 70 Ho-Oh had Safeguard, which meant my Level 51 Spiritomb had no chance of Hypnotizing it. Three Struggle, two accidental critical Stone Edge, and one other miscalculated Crunch killings of Ho-Oh later, I put the game down, went to work. Tonight: First try. Why? Dusk Ball

vhfive

Gaming Truth said:
Just had the same thing this morning. Level 70 Ho-Oh had Safeguard, which meant my Level 51 Spiritomb had no chance of Hypnotizing it. Three Struggle, two accidental critical Stone Edge, and one other miscalculated Crunch killings of Ho-Oh later, I put the game down, went to work. Tonight: First try. Why? Dusk Ball
legendaries can be a bitch.
I wasted 60+ dusk balls on lvl 70 ho-oh before I ran out of balls. Turned it off then on again and caught him with my 5th ball:lol

Masked Man

I said wow
I was so disheartened today.

I finally took my first trip to the Battle Frontier, and I stopped by the Tower to talk with the Judge. He told me that my beloved Espeon--the Espeon that I received as an Eevee from my good friend Bill in Goldenrod, made as happy as possible, spent countless hours with, and even procured a nice laurel crown of gold for--has only "mediocre" ability and "decent" Special Defense. ;______;

I reluctantly have decided to start breeding for another. So long, my love. </3 (It seems like breeding is going well, though!) I was considering doing the same with my beloved Dragonite, but it seems like such a waste. I got its EVs back down to 100, though, just to double-check.

Speaking of that Dragonite and the Battle Frontier, though, I want to teach it Superpower in place of Dragon Dive, but I only have 3 BP at the moment. Would someone be so kind as to serve as a middleman and teach my Dragonite Superpower?

Forkball

I finally caught Mewtwo. It took 30+ Ultra Balls and about 10 Dusk Balls, plus a few others I mixed in there (I hardly knew thee, Level Ball). I also beat Red. Holy god that was a tough battle. My Feraligatr is level 76, but my other Pokemon range from 50s to 30s. I brought Mewtwo and Ho-Oh to help me out, but it was still a tough battle since there was hail and Red was liberal with the Full Restores (as was I). His Lapras was the toughest for me since it was immune to hail. Although I initially said "WTF, where is his Espeon," it is cool to see him rock all Kanto Pokemon.

I still need to catch the three dogs, the three birds, Latios, Groudon, and Rayquaza. Anything interesting unlock after I beat Red? This game has so much content in it, I'm at 40 hours and I still haven't done so many things (like win the Bug contest. I was beaten by a Kakuna once. A KAKUNA.)

Caught Suicune with a Dusk Ball: didn't take that many. Moltres took a few more Dusk Balls (about 15) but I nabbed it on the second try (ran the first time accidentally). Debating whether to use my Master Ball on Mewtwo or Lugia.

Bug-Catching contest takes into account remaining HP when you catch it. Putting it to sleep is usually sufficient, I find. I had a Volbeat when I found a shiny Nincada and just HAD to catch it. Ended up in third though.

Seems everybody is catching legendaries at the moment?

Finally caught the last roaming legendary, Latias, she was a total bitch though, wasted at least 70 balls on her.

Don't forget that it's friday, the only time to get Facade(TM42) at the Goldenrod Dept Store lottery. I was lucky and got 3 in a short time.

I am such a goddam dork.

I've spent my evenings in the past week hatching eggs, feeding the babies Rare Candies, finding out their Hidden Power types, writing down their stats at every level and putting the data into MetalKid's IV calculator. I've then entered the IVs or IV ranges it spits out into a spreadsheet.

Each generation gets its own tab. I colour-code which IVs it inherits from which parent and choose from the batch the one who'll father the next generation. I also calculate in my head the odds that one baby in the next gen will have the exact IVs, nature and ability I want.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to hunt for some Relaxed, Sassy, Jolly, Brave, Adamant, Modest, Lonely and Naughty Ditto whose stats don't absolutely suck donkey balls.

God damn it, GameFreak! What have you turned me into?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I am such a goddam dork.

I've spent my evenings in the past week hatching eggs, feeding the babies Rare Candies, finding out their Hidden Power types, writing down their stats at every level and putting the data into MetalKid's IV calculator. I've then entered the IVs or IV ranges it spits out into a spreadsheet.

Each generation gets its own tab. I colour-code which IVs it inherits from which parent and choose from the batch the one who'll father the next generation. I also calculate in my head the odds that one baby in the next gen will have the exact IVs, nature and ability I want.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to hunt for some Relaxed, Sassy, Jolly, Brave, Adamant, Modest, Lonely and Naughty Ditto whose stats don't absolutely suck donkey balls.

God damn it, GameFreak! What have you turned me into?

Hmm Ditto just for battle or breed?
I apologized for my ignorance. I just got into serious business for pokemon recently

GTS is amazing. Everyone wants level 100 legendaries for a Rattata. :lol

At least I've managed to get the Kanto starters and a Dratini for my egg excesses (and my Pokewalker catches).

Lone_Prodigy said:
GTS is amazing. Everyone wants level 100 legendaries for a Rattata. :lol
Personally I'd love to see someone send badly hacked Pokemon in return to those jerks, their crappy trades just clog the entire GTS up so that searching is rendered completely useless.

Send them a level 100 Arceus with a rude nickname and OT from Hoenn with Splash, pathetic stats, Truant ability and caught in a Cherish Ball in Cynthia's room. That way their amazing legendary is rendered worthless and they learn to stop being a dumbass.

Forkball

In Black/White I really hope they have the option to search for trainers that don't want legendaries in return. Or maybe a reverse search, where you check one of your Pokemon, and see what trainers are asking for it. For example, you have a million Totodiles due to incessant breeding, and you want to get rid of them. Yeah, you could just put it up on the GTS, but you have to specifically request what Pokemon you want. Well instead of that, how about finding out what people who are requesting Totodiles are giving out, then you could choose between them and send off your Totodile.

Also this site: http://www.battle4charity.info/ is having 36 hours of Pokebattling for charity.

Andrex said:
I wonder if the shiny beasts will come over here... :/

I mean, probably right? Since they tie into B&W and all...
Absolutely. But I bet they will spread it out to four different events at four different retailers.

Also the US still needs the Mew event that Japan had.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just caught a Flying Pikachu. I know I was gunning for a srurfing one, but come on... can't say no to that as the flying gym leader. :p

Pretty crappy IVs/nature though.

HP 28 - 29
Attack 4 - 5
Defense 12 - 13
Special Attack 11 - 13
Special Defense 26 - 27
Speed 23 - 25
Bold Nature (+Defense, -Attack)

Special Attack is actually a bit higher despite being the lesser base stat (55 atk, 50 sp.atk.)

So should I keep it? It's male, so I was wondering if I could breed Fly?

Blu_LED said:
Absolutely. But I bet they will spread it out to four different events at four different retailers.

Also the US still needs the Mew event that Japan had.

Grr. :/ Hopefully they stick with GameStop, I have a shiny new one near me that's much closer than TRU.

And the actual Arceus one. :/ The TRU one was nice but we still don't have the ticket or whatever.

Masked Man

I said wow
Andrex said:
So should I keep it? It's male, so I was wondering if I could breed Fly?

Sadly, you can't breed Fly. =/ Bummer, right? Seems reasonable enough, though, especially as a caught Pokémon. I just hatched a Timid Eevee 31/11/27/31/31/11 and I felt unfortunately compelled to continue breeding because of that awful Speed. Blahhhhhhhhh. ;___; I just want a beautiful Espeon
with good IVs
!

And I was fortunate enough to snag a Mew while in Japan, so I'm not too worried. ;D But, honestly, I would be surprised if Nintendo didn't bring the event stateside. I mean, everyone knows that it happened in Japan, and it would be unfair to other audiences to deny them their rightful Mew!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I already have a Mew from someone during the D/P days, pretty sure it's some sort of TRU one.

What I really want are Celebi, Jirachi, and Deoxys events. Somehow.

Finally a swarm that is not Qwilfish or Ralts swarm!

Buneary swarm get! Now I just need a Sableye swarm, and I'm done waiting for these fuckin random swarms (well not so random because of all the annoying Qwilfish swarms I've been getting).

Having the Japanese version I pray that everytime there's an event pokemon in Japan that it's wifi. I'm not gonna get the Shiny Beasts since you can only get them at cinemas in Japan :(

Hopefully Celebi will be wifi.

Sagitario

Anyone has an extra TM for my level 8 Espeon? :lol
Any useful TM for it would be appreciated, seriously...

Edit: I just read about an exclusive Korean Pokéwalker course where you can capture one of the starters of GenIII: Torchic. That's a first for a starter "in the wild", right? The route also has Rare Candies...

Sixfortyfive

? for the Safari Zone: Can you timeskip ahead several days to level up the objects and draw out rare Pokemon, or is this one of those things that only go into effect at the rollover between days (23:59 -> 0:00)?

I'm also around for battles for the next few hours.

I've just finished EV training my first ever Pokemon, is it now alright to start leveling it up like normal or do I need still need to be careful about what I fight?

Sixfortyfive

Azure Phoenix said:
I've just finished EV training my first ever Pokemon, is it now alright to start leveling it up like normal or do I need still need to be careful about what I fight?
If the EVs are at 510, it doesn't matter. Level up however you like until:

- all needed moves are learned
- the final evolutionary form is reached
- you hit level 50 (for Battle Frontier / Flat Battle)

At that point, it's best to stop leveling. Reaching level 100 makes it impossible (or at least very difficult) to redo EV distribution later if necessary.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sagitario said:
Anyone has an extra TM for my level 8 Espeon? :lol
Any useful TM for it would be appreciated, seriously...

Edit: I just read about an exclusive Korean Pokéwalker course where you can capture one of the starters of GenIII: Torchic. That's a first for a starter "in the wild", right? The route also has Rare Candies...

Yup I believe so.

Edit- It's Korean-only? The hell?

Sixfortyfive said:
If the EVs are at 510, it doesn't matter. Level up however you like until:

- all needed moves are learned
- the final evolutionary form is reached
- you hit level 50 (for Battle Frontier / Flat Battle)

At that point, it's best to stop leveling. Reaching level 100 makes it impossible (or at least very difficult) to redo EV distribution later if necessary.

If you wanted to do it at 100, how would you?

Wichu

Andrex said:
Edit- It's Korean-only? The hell?

It will most likely come out in other regions too, just later.

Andrex said:
If you wanted to do it at 100, how would you?

Vitamins. By 'very difficult', I assume he meant that you wouldn't be able to get anything useful done :p

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to build up my Ditto collection through the GTS, since I never seem to get them as a swarm. I can apparently just throw basically anything up on the GTS, come back a day later, and get a ditto in return. The cool thing, and why I'm bothering to post, is that so far I've received 13 dittos and there has only been ONE duplicate nature so far.

I'm sure, of course, that now I've jinxed myself.

Sixfortyfive

I'll be around for battles for the next 4 hours.

I think I'm going to have to PM all the other GAF gym leaders to actually get any matches arranged at this rate though.

Finally had some time today, and I'm pretty much done with my Dark Gym Leader team, will be ready for battles tomorrow defintely.

cory said:
I wonder what course we'll get after Winner's Path. Japan got the Torchic course already (Sightseeing).
Yellow Forest and Winner's Path have been the only courses that have been giving via wifi in Japan. Rally and Sightseeing were in locations only.

Amity Meadow is the only course that hasn't been distributed yet, hopefully it'll be over wifi so I have a chance to get it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
I'll be around for battles for the next 4 hours.

I think I'm going to have to PM all the other GAF gym leaders to actually get any matches arranged at this rate though.

It'll be just like calling us up on the Pokegear! Just don't leave us waiting forever. :lol

Like I said, with almost no exception I'm good from 9-2 every night. Maybe I should post when I'm opening/closing here?

Edit- Pokewalker =/= Pokegear >.>

Soulfire

I was thinking about trying out Pokemon for the first time and was curious if there was a big difference in the HeartGold and SoulSilver versions? I see that there are different pokemon in each but does it really matter? Which would be the best to start with?

Hex

Banned
Soulfire said:
I was thinking about trying out Pokemon for the first time and was curious if there was a big difference in the HeartGold and SoulSilver versions? I see that there are different pokemon in each but does it really matter? Which would be the best to start with?

Just Pokemon preference, I took SS and my GF went with HG.
Will not affect your enjoyment or learning.

Curse you Pokemon Judge! Curse you! And I was just enjoying the game with my team and now you tell me they're all decent/above average!

*has been catching dozens of Pokemon and breeding incessantly to find the best mix of IV's/nature/ability*

Now I understand why people use AR and such. I'm just going to find the nature/ability I want and if it's above average, I'm taking it.

Though I guess if you had to pick, would you prefer good IV's or good nature/ability?

EDIT: Epic win: caught lvl 70 Lugia with 7 Dusk Balls. I was actually considering using the Master Ball since I can stall Mewtwo with a Dark-type. Not sure if the number of "shakes" has anything to do with it, but I was getting 1-2 shakes before sleeping it (darn Safeguard).

EDIT2: Wow, caught Mewtwo with TWO Dusk Balls and I didn't even need to put him to sleep. Well, the Judge said Lugia was only "decent" and Mewtwo "above average" with his Adamant (high Atk, low Sp Atk) nature and best IV's in Def. Maybe lower-IV Pokemon are easier to catch. :D

Anyone who can help me evolve some pokemons?

I need someone with Platinum to evolve Nosepass into Probopass. And then I have 5 other pokemon which only evolve through trading.

Metroid Killer (HeartGold) 5156-4291-4002

Azure Phoenix said:
If you can't find anyone else to help you, I'd be happy to help you evolve those 5 Pokemon, Metroid. Obviously I can't do Probopass though.
That would be awesome. I'm in the Union room now if you have time.

Top Bottom