• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ryan-ts

So I find the GTS in Goldenrod and then I found out I have to see the Pokemon to trade for it in here, so no Cubone for me.....ugggh

Unicorn said:
What's this event about? How do I get it???

Its been announced today, it starts april 1st and gives you access to a special pokewalker course with the pikachu's in.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I know I gave up on Pearl waaaay too soon after defeating the Elite 4 (weeks of nothing but transferring from Leaf Green and Emerald, breeding and berry harvesting got me down), but what in the hell are that bat thing and that noseless monstrosity?

Noseless is donaphan (gold exclusive), the bat is gliscor evolution of gligar and is one of the best pokemon to come out of D/P

Hex

Banned
In prep for getting
Superior
Soul Silver I will see again if anyone might have a female Eevee that I can get for breeding purposes as well as event Arceus (won't hold my breath :lol

Fumetsu said:
In prep for getting
Superior
Soul Silver I will see again if anyone might have a female Eevee that I can get for breeding purposes as well as event Arceus (won't hold my breath :lol

Would have given you the Arceus but you blew yourself away with the silver comment, bitterly dissapointed.

totowhoa

Banned
Just picked up gold today. My fiance and I are both wanting to play it, despite the single save slot. My room mate has a (semi-)blank DS cart that he uses to consolidate all of his DS games to a single cart. I'd ask him about this if I could at the moment, but I can't... so, is there a way that I can use his stuff to alternatively upload/download two different save files so we can trade off on this game? I don't really have the money to pick up a copy of silver now, so if somebody smarter than myself can explain it or link to a quick tutorial, then that'd be nice. His stuff is lying around, but he's out of town and out of reach for the time being.

Balb

As someone who got the original gold on day one, it's great to play HG and see how they modernized everything. It could have been a lazy remake/port like lots of other companies make.

ReiGun

I should have read up more on this Pokewalker thing. I originally thought it was useless, but I just tried using it with my Weedle (cause leveling Weedle is a pain in the ass) and discovered you can catch pokemon with it too. Just got myself a sweet Venonat. :D

Aaron Strife said:
Ash Ketchum endorses Heart Gold

220px-Ash%27s_Primeape.png

245px-Ash_Gliscor.png

230px-Ash%27s_Donphan.png
:lol @ using Ash "Constantly nerfs himself" Ketchum as a representative. You gotta come harder than that, Golds.

EvilMario said:
Mareep is located just south of Violet City, and there's a house where you can trade Bellsprout for an Onix if you're desperate. Geodudes can also be found in a nearby cave.
Sweet. Thanks for the tip. Gonna make Faulkner my bitch later tonight.

Salaadin

Balb said:
As someone who got the original gold on day one, it's great to play HG and see how they modernized everything. It could have been a lazy remake/port like lots of other companies make.

I agree. Its the same but its still so different that it feels fresh while still being so awesome.

5 hours in, 2 badges. I just got to Goldenrod. My team so far is Bayleaf, Onix, and Drowzee.

Ondore

Gold has Butterfree available without the stupid Bug Catching Contest.

Butterfree learns a 98% accurate Sleep move at level 12.

Silver players, your argument is invalidated.

btw, I'm almost positive one of the translators is a goon

He was - Nob Ogasawara. He left just after Platinum wrapped and is responsible for "A WINNER IS YOU", "n00b" and threats of massive damage being issued in Diamond and Pearl.

Balb

I kind of wish there were a few more differences between HG and SS. They're so similar that the gold vs silver rivalry loses something...

Hex

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
Would have given you the Arceus but you blew yourself away with the silver comment, bitterly dissapointed.
:lol
I knew the target that I was drawing on myself with that comment. :D

kyo_daikun said:

Would you consider giving one to me, for my copy of
equal in quality to Heart Gold
Soul Silver? :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Ondore said:
He was - Nob Ogasawara. He left just after Platinum wrapped and is responsible for "A WINNER IS YOU", "n00b" and threats of massive damage being issued in Diamond and Pearl.
Huh, I wonder who the translator(s) are for HG/SS. Also, K-Mart was a terrible terrible failure. Next up, seeing if Wal-Mart actually gets new games.

Zilch

Banned
I think one of my favorite things about these games is how EVERY menu is touch-screen based and nicer looking. Especially the PC menus.

nli10

BGBW said:
Donno, looks kinda bulky and ugly to me, rather have GAME's figurine or pay a fiver less at Amazon.

I'm thinking the Fiver tbh. THey also have shiny box versions, which are probably identical to the normal ones...

So this game is fucking impossible when starting out with Chikorita. I can't even beat the first gym battle unless I level up my guys really high..

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
red shoe paul said:
So this game is fucking impossible when starting out with Chikorita. I can't even beat the first gym battle unless I level up my guys really high..

False. Mareep is available just south of the said gym and Onix is available via trade with one of the houses in the same city (requiring a Bellsprout). A Chikorita at a decent level around 12 can survive the Gust from Pidgeotto and Poison Powder him, letting Mareep/Onix/generic Pokemon beat him a bit more easily.

Salaadin

Dude, Farfetched can get it on with Nidoqueen.

This is ridiculous. My Onix is in love with a Miltank now. Ive spent the majority of this gym battle immobilized by love....

Salaadin said:
This is ridiculous. My Onix is in love with a Miltank now. Ive spent the majority of this gym battle immobilized by love....
That's why you always make sure to have a good gender balance in your team. Genderless monsters are also good for that.

Lkr

Whitney is my least favorite gym leader. And you guys level up your Pokemon way to easily. How the hell do you have an Onix capable of taking on a Miltank already? I have a level 16 Totodile and a level 5 geodude. I don't even know where to level up besides wild pokemon which takes forever. fucking grinding

also, pokewalker takes forever to level up. can you only get 1 level per 'stroll'?

Salaadin

That's why you always make sure to have a good gender balance in your team. Genderless monsters are also good for that.

And what if Im sexist and only want males? Then what? :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Lkr said:
Whitney is my least favorite gym leader. And you guys level up your Pokemon way to easily. How the hell do you have an Onix capable of taking on a Miltank already? I have a level 16 Totodile and a level 5 geodude. I don't even know where to level up besides wild pokemon which takes forever. fucking grinding

also, pokewalker takes forever to level up. can you only get 1 level per 'stroll'?

I never grind (in fact, I ABUSE repels), but I do fight every available trainer. By the time I met Whitney I had Quilava with Fire Blast (bought next door) at level 20 which 2HKOs Miltank, and the only other Pokemon I had been raising was a Staryu I traded over (originally at level 1) which was also nearing 20.

If you don't have a Pokemon that can 2HKO Miltank, I suggest using something really bulky like Flaffy with Rock Smash. It will lower her defense, and likely paralyze her via Static when she keeps stomping you. Eventually, her defense will be -3 to -6, and you'll be able to 2HKO her with a decent physically based Pokemon.

Lkr

EvilMario said:
I never grind (in fact, I ABUSE repels), but I do fight every available trainer. By the time I met Whitney I had Quilava with Fire Blast (bought next door) at level 20, and the only other Pokemon I had been raising was a Staryu I traded over (originally at level 1) which was also nearing 20.

If you don't have a Pokemon that can 2HKO Miltank, I suggest using something really bulky like Flaffy with Rock Smash. It will lower her defense, and likely paralyze her via Static when she keeps stomping you. Eventually, her defense will be -3 to -6, and you'll be able to 2HKO her with a decent physically based Pokemon.
times like this make me wish I had a second DS. I have a lvl 30 Pichu but thats not Platinum and I need a way of getting it over.

I need to catch a pokemon and train it a bit, especially for bugsy. My pidgey would be nice, but once again, its only level 5 :(

Salaadin

Theres an NPC that traded me the Onix for a Bellsprout. He has the added XP since he came from the trade so he was quite easy to level.

Jeels

okay, apparently night time starts at 8 o clock, not 7. hope that helps survivor. believe me, ghastly is at 85% encounter rate at night, so theres no way its night for us

Lkr

Salaadin said:
Theres an NPC that traded me the Onix for a Bellsprout. He has the added XP since he came from the trade so he was quite easy to level.
where is this NPC located? And are there wild bellsprouts in the sprout tower?
Its night time for me. Anyone want to trade for a Ghastly?:lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Salaadin said:

Since you won't have control over Onix until after the first gym, it can be annoying, but generally, Falkner won't be able to damage Onix too much thanks to resisting his entire moveset for both Pokemon. Screech+Rock Throw, with a Potion, or two in hand will down his Pokemon.

Don't waste too much time on Onix, unless you plan on upgrading to a Steelix, because Onix stinks outside of his utility in the first gym. 45 base attack is horrible, and he won't be denting much after this fight.

red shoe paul said:

There's a kid who will trade you an Onix for a Bellsprout in one of the houses. Get it to level 9 or 10 and it learns Rock throw. I used Screech twice and then Rock Throw and it KO'd Falkners Pidgeotto.

Top Bottom