• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Yeah this is fucking stupid. My Onix at lv 11 isn't doing anything, and all the fucking Pidgeotto is doing is Roosting.

Ok BARELY beat the first gym leader. If it wasn't for this 1 critical hit, I would've died..

survivor

Banned
Jeels said:
okay, apparently night time starts at 8 o clock, not 7. hope that helps survivor. believe me, ghastly is at 85% encounter rate at night, so theres no way its night for us
Oh alright. Simpsons just ended so might as well just go back and get that damn Ghastly

Oh man, I'm going to have to bail out of this thread pretty soon. You guys are passing the point of no return for me (i.e. the bits I know about - the Normal gym with the Miltank and the Bug gym with... I dunno, Ledyba?). Everything after that is heading into spoiler territory for me, including this one bit involving Team Rocket where I have to do something to these Slowpokes (I'm not sure - it was all in moon language).

In retrospect, playing through the first bit of Silver in Japanese all those years ago was probably a mistake.

Willectro

Banned
survivor said:
Oh alright. Simpsons just ended so might as well just go back and get that damn Ghastly
I just changed my DSL's time to night to catch the Gastly.

red shoe paul said:
So use ghost type Pokemon on the 2nd gym leader?
Nah, fire/flying is best. 2nd gym is bug type. It's just that 90% of the attacks either couldn't hit the gastly, missed him, or did little damage. It was awesome. Just had to get a lucky hypnosis off on the leader's scyther.

red shoe paul said:
Yeah this is fucking stupid. My Onix at lv 11 isn't doing anything, and all the fucking Pidgeotto is doing is Roosting.

Ok BARELY beat the first gym leader. If it wasn't for this 1 critical hit, I would've died..

That's why you should use Screech a few times, it can't roost after a one-hit KO.

Jeels said:
So I caught Kangaskhan through the pokewalker. I'm done with this course, how do I send everything back?

Holy shit, damn! I wonder if he's common in these ones now since he was rare as fuck in Red and Blue.

Jeels

red shoe paul said:
Holy shit, damn! I wonder if he's common in these ones now since he was rare as fuck in Red and Blue.

I think I got lucky, Serebii lists him as rare, even in the Pokewalker. But ya, I'm ready to beam back, do I go back to the main menu?

ryan-ts

Jeels said:
So I caught Kangaskhan through the pokewalker. I'm done with this course, how do I send everything back?

Go back to the pokewalker option in Soul Silver, then go to end stroll in Soul Silver then use the connect option in the pokewalker .

Jeels said:
I think I got lucky, Serebii lists him as rare, even in the Pokewalker. But ya, I'm ready to beam back, do I go back to the main menu?

Yeah, same as you would when you connect the Pokewalker. Pimp shit anyways! :D

Jeels

ryan-ts said:
Go back to the pokewalker option in Soul Silver, then go to end stroll in Soul Silver then use the connect option in the pokewalker .

Thanks bro. (you too red shoe lol)

And LOL perfect. Although its true. You think the majority of people buying HS/SS are over 12?

Jeels said:
Thanks bro. (you too red shoe lol)

And LOL perfect. Although its true. You think the majority of people buying HS/SS are over 12?

idk maybe. all she really said was, "I don't really see how pokemon appeals to people of your age" so maybe more older people bought it. All I could reply was "Well I played the original game 10 years ago so it's nostalgic for me and I wanted to play it again". She said "Oh.....well that makes sense I guess."

perfectchaos007 said:
idk maybe. all she really said was, "I don't really see how pokemon appeals to people of your age" so maybe more older people bought it. All I could reply was "Well I played the original game 10 years ago so it's nostalgic for me and I wanted to play it again". She said "Oh.....well that makes sense I guess."

Same here. A game I supported and loved as a kid is still alive and kickin'. By god I still have the love for the game to this day and I'm 23 which is why I fully supported Soul Silver and Heart Gold even when Toys 'R' Us events pop up, I'll be at those.

Blizzard

Banned
red shoe paul said:
Same here. A game I supported and loved as a kid is still alive and kickin'. By god I still have the love for the game to this day and I'm 23 which is why I fully supported Soul Silver and Heart Gold. :D
Same here. Way back when I was learning to program I made a red/blue online battle simulator, and even though I never became good at battling, diamond/pearl were what originally motivated me to get a DS (lite).

Wal-mart was a success! Pokemon
some version that you don't hate
acquired.

So... if I use the Pokewalker on say... Butterfree at level 11. If Butterfree gains two levels inside the Pokewalker will she not learn Sleep Powder/Stun Spore? Will they get added upon her return or will I forever lose out on those moves? Or do they do the stupid daycare system where it will randomly delete one of her moves to make room for it?

Also my team is seriously underleveled. I have 5 guys + egg all at around level 10 and I beat the first gym, and got the old rod. I'm probably just gonna have to let Cyndiquil hog all the EXP until I beat Bugsy.

Also I'm lame. I named my rival Silver. I was going to name him ??? just like I did in the originals (every child made that mistake of thinking it was his real name).

I'll just see for myself what the Pokewalker does with regards to learning new moves. I'll test Hoppip since it levels up fast, and learns a new move in one level (tail whip)

survivor

Banned
Blizzard said:
Same here. Way back when I was learning to program I made a red/blue online battle simulator, and even though I never became good at battling, diamond/pearl were what originally motivated me to get a DS (lite).

Wal-mart was a success! Pokemon
some version that you don't hate
acquired.
Same. Although I bought the games first and then got a DS a month later.

Ondore

ryan-ts said:
Just out of curiosity what have you guys named your rival? My name for him is Dude.

I went with the obligatory ???. Then again, I called my (female) avatar Kallen. And I just caught an Oddish and called it "Refrain". Too soon?

Obsessed said:
So... if I use the Pokewalker on say... Butterfree at level 11. If Butterfree gains two levels inside the Pokewalker will she not learn Sleep Powder/Stun Spore? Will they get added upon her return or will I forever lose out on those moves? Or do they do the stupid daycare system where it will randomly delete one of her moves to make room for it?

1) Pokemon get a maximum of one level in the Pokewalker.
2) ... and they don't learn any moves. So you'd lose Sleep Powder until Blackthorn City or you send it back somewhere to use a Move Returner. Not cool.

Harpuia

Reservation only at Gamestop am cry. :( I'll have to get HeartGold tomorrow, because idiot me thought they'd sell it anyway without reservation.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
perfectchaos007 said:

smh, customer service am fail.

perfectchaos007 said:
I really like the packaging. I almost didn't want to open the box :lol

I'm definitely keeping the cardboard box though.

It feels so ridiculously nice and shiny. I was really surprised how it looks up close.

So ugh... if your Pokemon learns a move via level up, but it reaches said level inside the Pokewalker then you are screwed unless you have Heart Scales.

Balb

perfectchaos007 said:
I really like the packaging. I almost didn't want to open the box :lol

I'm definitely keeping the cardboard box though.

It makes the actual DS case look like crap. It's not even shiny for some reason.

Blizzard

Banned
I just read through the manual. I'm kind of surprised by how complex the Pokewalker seems, though apparently per the person above me you can only get one level and no moves in it. It mentioned minigames to catch pokemon and find items...can you ONLY get those things through the minigames, or if you just wear it all day is there a chance of catching a pokemon randomly anyway?

Also, let's talk features that have been obvious for 5-10 years, since I'm SURE they've finally been implemented.

1. For wi-fi internet battles, can you autoscale both your pokemon and your enemies pokemon to L50 or L100? One of my friends lost to an action-replay L100 person apparently because this feature did not exist in diamond/pearl, which surprised me.

2. The L and R buttons are basically not even used at all according to the manual unless you use the L=A option. So...surely they've implemented a way to have two registered items, right? RIGHT? So I can bike along, then pull out my fishing rod without having to go through 2-4 pages of slow fading menus and user interfaces and selections and animations?

*cries, yet will still probably buy the other version as well*

ryan-ts

Blizzard said:
I just read through the manual. I'm kind of surprised by how complex the Pokewalker seems, though apparently per the person above me you can only get one level and no moves in it. It mentioned minigames to catch pokemon and find items...can you ONLY get those things through the minigames, or if you just wear it all day is there a chance of catching a pokemon randomly anyway?

An Oddish randomly decided to join my team after I sent my Mareep back to the DS and I had no Pokemon in my walker.

survivor

Banned
Blizzard said:

Also, let's talk features that have been obvious for 5-10 years, since I'm SURE they've finally been implemented.

1. For wi-fi internet battles, can you autoscale both your pokemon and your enemies pokemon to L50 or L100? One of my friends lost to an action-replay L100 person apparently because this feature did not exist in diamond/pearl, which surprised me.

2. The L and R buttons are basically not even used at all according to the manual unless you use the L=A option. So...surely they've implemented a way to have two registered items, right? RIGHT? So I can bike along, then pull out my fishing rod without having to go through 2-4 pages of slow fading menus and user interfaces and selections and animations?

*cries, yet will still probably buy the other version as well*
1. Diamond and Pearl had the auto level feature. I guess your friend did a Free Battle which doesn't auto level them. The only time you can't auto level is when you do wireless battles.

2. The game sets 2 key items. You use them with X and Y. The game also makes you auto run without holding B which is like the best new feature ever.

Dbot

Banned
ryan-ts said:
Just out of curiosity what have you guys named your rival? My name for him is Dude.

I named mine Vince, after an old high school friend. Back when Pokemon Red and Blue first came out we would have matches during lunch.

Top Bottom