• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
NinjaBoyLao said:
I was really surprised when I first entered the Game corner too. sadness.

Kids cant know about gambling, what are you, crazy? That's why elementary geography books don't even mention Nevada.

Teknoman

Anyone want to try to have a few "beginners battles" this week? Would be something new to see beginner/middle evolutions in battle, since its only been a few days after release.

Unicorn

How can I get my eevee to be happier? I took him for a pokewalker walk, got the haircut in goldenrod, gave him a soothing bell, put him in first slot of party, and gave him some vitamins, but the lady in goldenrod said he's just now STARTING to like me. Need him to evolve to espeon before work tomorrow.

Unicorn said:
How can I get my eevee to be happier? I took him for a pokewalker walk, got the haircut in goldenrod, gave him a soothing bell, put him in first slot of party, and gave him some vitamins, but the lady in goldenrod said he's just now STARTING to like me. Need him to evolve to espeon before work tomorrow.
Win some battles with him.

pirata

I'm on my way to the second gym, and all of a sudden a man in a pokemon center wants me to hold his old rod. Shouldn't that be illegal, even in Japan?

Gravijah

funkmastergeneral said:
I have 5 pokemon that are level 23 or 24

Yeah, he's a bastard. You gotta try to paralyze him or something.

Edit: it was pure luck when I beat him. If you've got Gastly, curse him, or if you have an electric, try to get a thunder wave on him.

Gravijah said:
Yeah, he's a bastard. You gotta try to paralyze him or something.

Edit: it was pure luck when I beat him. If you've got Gastly, curse him, or if you have an electric, try to get a thunder wave on him.

He one shots my Ghastly and Flaffy

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Teknoman said:
Anyone want to try to have a few "beginners battles" this week? Would be something new to see beginner/middle evolutions in battle, since its only been a few days after release.
I have a fully trained Little Cup team on my Plat cart (pre-evolutions only, all at level 5). I put like zero thought into it and basically just copied a Smogon standard team though. I only created it for the specific Little Cup arena on PBR, then used it to beat up on random wi-fi noobs.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Huh I don't remember having any trouble with any of the gym battles, except for that effing Miltank.

Lance though... Three Dragonites in a row? Really? REALLY??

Of course that's because I chose the fire type Pokemon and I rely primarily on a Pidgeot (first Pokemon I caught, now it's at a respectable lvl 45) and a Gyarados I've been using as an wHMore... should probably fix that before I go for my third attempt at him. Obviously my team gives me no type advantage towards dragons and a huge weakness towards electricity (and the jerk has the gall to have one of them know Thunder. :/ )

Although I just learned Ice Fang. :D Should give me more of a leg up than I had before.

Gravijah

funkmastergeneral said:
He one shots my Ghastly and Flaffy

If you're Gastly is close to 25, grind that fucker to 25 and evolve him into Haunter. And then, even better, trade him and turn him into a Gengar.

Sixfortyfive said:
Lance
is the worst fucking Champion ever.
Three Dragonites?
Really?

How come Gary and Cynthia were the only two champs smart enough to not box themselves into one type?
SPOILER DUDE WTF

SOME OF US HAVEN'T PLAYED GSC

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Question: Who here faces every single trainer they possibly can when they find them?

My starter was a comfortable 10-15 levels above whatever the gym leaders had and that might have been why. Funny thing is I abused the hell out of Repel whenever I surfed or was in a cave. :lol

Then again I go out of my way to machine douse every square pixel of wherever I am, too.

Gravijah

18:35 and I only have 4 badges. :D

And please guys remember not everyone has played these games.

Andrex said:
Question: Who here faces every single trainer they possibly can when they find them?

My starter was a comfortable 10-15 levels above whatever the gym leaders had and that might have been why. Funny thing is I abused the hell out of Repel whenever I surfed or was in a cave. :lol

Then again I go out of my way to machine douse every square pixel of wherever I am, too.

I usually fight every single random battle, too.

Sixfortyfive

edit: whoops dp

Andrex said:
I always fight every trainer. I never fight wild Pokemon unless I'm catching them. Trained Pokemon give out 50% more experience.

I'm about to tackle the third gym right now. Current team:

Cyndaquil lv20
Togepi lv20

I have heard good things about this gym.

Echoes

funkmastergeneral said:
So, the fourth gym leader is pretty bullshit. His gengar one shots all my pokemon, and with his superior speed always attacks first.
And that's why Togepi's so awesome in this game, with his Extrasensory attack. My Togetic (25 at the time) 2HKO'd them all, and the regular trainsers; 1HKO. Extrasensory FTMFW.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
How come Gary and Cynthia were the only two champs smart enough to not box themselves into one type?

Because they're such awesome characters? Dunno.

Cynthia is awesome though. <3

Gravijah said:
18:35 and I only have 4 badges. :D

And I thought I was going slow at 26 hours for the E4. :lol

Gravijah

Andrex said:
And I thought I was going slow at 26 hours for the E4. :lol

I'm taking my time and savoring this game.

Edit: So I'm on the Bellchime Trail, taking in the scenery and silence... and then... RING RING BLAH BLAH BLAH BULLSHIT *CLICK*

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah I'm getting a new phone call after every battle, trainer or otherwise. :lol Half of them are from mom. I can't cut her off because every once in a while she gets something good like a moon stone...

But seriously, I'm getting sick of all these damn berries. :lol

Sixfortyfive said:
I haven't played GSC either.
I should probably avoid this thread because I'm still waiting for my copy of SS to arrive, but I've stayed because most of the discussion centres around the battling aspect rather than the story. Yes, I know, story LOL in a Pokemon game, but at the same time, I don't want to be spoiled on the exact lineup and moveset of a major character. When people couch it in vague terms like "the nth gym leader has a Gengar than OHKOs me", I can deal, but when people say something like "the nth gym leader has a Gengar, that spams fake-out and heals itself using Roost, a Haunter that curses you, a Misdreavous that has hyper beam and a Jigglypuff" it doesn't leave much room for surprise.

Gravijah

Andrex said:
Yeah I'm getting a new phone call after every battle, trainer or otherwise. :lol Half of them are from mom. I can't cut her off because every once in a while she gets something good like a moon stone...

But seriously, I'm getting sick of all these damn berries. :lol

The sad part about phone calls is... I'm still bothered everytime I accidentally miss one.

Gravijah said:
If you're Gastly is close to 25, grind that fucker to 25 and evolve him into Haunter. And then, even better, trade him and turn him into a Gengar.

Shadow Ball is super effective against him regardless. It fucking sucks. I have a level 24 Bayleef, 23 Flaffy, 22 Fearow, 23 Geodude, and 25 Flaffy and they're all destroyed by him.

Gravijah

funkmastergeneral said:
Shadow Ball is super effective against him regardless. It fucking sucks. I have a level 24 Bayleef, 23 Flaffy, 22 Fearow, 23 Geodude, and 25 Flaffy and they're all destroyed by him.

But you might be able to outspeed him with a Gengar... hm... Geodude also evolves at 25.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh you guys who say you're Pokefans but haven't played the best generation!

Oh well, I guess I can forgive it since you're rectifying it now with arguably the best games in the series.

Edit- Err wait I guess that makes this the best generation. These plus DPPt on the same system... Sinnoh Defense Force represent! *avatar quote*

Gravijah said:
The sad part about phone calls is... I'm still bothered everytime I accidentally miss one.

Me too. :lol

Delio

Well i'm done with all the gyms and now just tracking down Entei and Raikou. I'd love to have a battle with someone but my team is pretty much fully evolved.

Gravijah

FootNinja said:
Anyone have an absol? I have a decent collection of pokes to trade for it.

I'm pretty sure I have one sitting on Pearl.

Edit: YES I JUST CAUGHT A MEOWTH. SUCK IT!

I had a cat as a kid I named Persian. :D

Andrex said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh you guys who say you're Pokefans but haven't played the best generation!

Oh well, I guess I can forgive it since you're rectifying it now with arguably the best games in the series.

Edit- Err wait I guess that makes this the best generation. These plus DPPt on the same system... Sinnoh Defense Force represent! *avatar quote*

Me too. :lol
I never had a GBC, unfortunately and I found out much too late that GS can be played on an old school GB.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I hope I'm not alone in demanding a remake of the Third Gen on the next Nintendo handheld. Third gen is remarkably underrated :( it brought a lot of important changes to the formula, cool Pokemon, and by far the best HM's and towns in my opinion.

But anyway, for right now I'm loving HG/SS. SO AWESOME.

Gravijah

Dogenzaka said:
I hope I'm not alone in demanding a remake of the Third Gen on the next Nintendo handheld. Third gen is remarkably underrated :( it brought a lot of important changes to the formula, cool Pokemon, and by far the best HM's and towns in my opinion.

Not alone, I love the RSE games. I could live with a Gen 5/6 game taking you back to Hoenn, though.

Sixfortyfive said:
I was really pissed when HGSS was announced because it has pretty much set a trend for one remake per generation, and the last thing this series needs is more stagnation. I don't mind it so much for the time being, as GSC was the only entry I hadn't played yet, but it's probably going to get annoying.

^ EDIT: Actually, yeah, a new quest in an old region would be great. Wouldn't mind that so much.

From this point on instead of straight up remakes, I'd prefer being able to visit old regions. I like seeing how things change over time.

Sixfortyfive

Dogenzaka said:

I was really pissed when HGSS was announced because it has pretty much set a trend for one remake per generation, and the last thing this series needs is more stagnation. I don't mind it so much for the time being, as GSC was the only entry I hadn't played yet, but it's probably going to get annoying.

^ EDIT: Actually, yeah, a new quest in an old region would be great. Wouldn't mind that so much.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nah gen 3 was a step back. Heck even Ishihara/Morimoto admitted that they went all-out on features with gen 2 because they thought it'd be the finale. Even still, that's no excuse for cutting features.

Dogenzaka said:

Those games blew ass. Those HM's? Annoying and unnecessary. Too much swimming, stupid story, it's the only pokemon game I never finished out of sheer boredom.

There should be an option to set your phone to silent mode, or change the ringtone. Or, I dunno, tell people to just text me so I can read it when I want to.

Dreavus

Are there any kind of "random wifi battles" in this game, or is that reserved for the likes of PBR? My friend was wondering if he'd be able to match with another person for a battle (as in, not via friend codes).

Gravijah

OT but for anyone with a DSi XL:

Does it feel more like a phat in your hands? I've been using my brothers DS Lite for a while and I hate how it feels, but I brought my phat back out and it's just so... comfy.

cvxfreak

Gravijah said:
OT but for anyone with a DSi XL:

Does it feel more like a phat in your hands? I've been using my brothers DS Lite for a while and I hate how it feels, but I brought my phat back out and it's just so... comfy.

I've been playing SoulSilver on my Japanese DSi XL. I think it feels like it's own unique hardware when you hold it, but weight-wise, it definitely harkens back to the Phat, being a somewhat heavier.

Dogenzaka

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Those games blew ass. Those HM's? Annoying and unnecessary. Too much swimming, stupid story, it's the only pokemon game I never finished out of sheer boredom.

Diving underwater to find Relicanths was pure bliss. Surely you jest!

The towns were so cool too. A town in a forest canopy? A city at the base of a fiery volcano covered in ash? A village connected by floating logs? A walled city in the middle of the ocean? So awesome D:

They introduced double-battles, natures, real item-holding, contests, berries, enemy organizations with actual purpose, lots of neat-o stuff. But suit yourself :p

Also, they introduced really interesting ways to catch Pokemon. Feebas being very difficult, Dive being used to find Relicanth, more complicated evolution, etc.

Even still, that's no excuse for cutting features.

If I recall, all they cut was night/day and they went back to 8 gym leaders.

Top Bottom