• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I liked the Dive HM too, and it was so different to have a water route that was that nonlinear. Not so much that I'd want to see that sort of stuff in every game, but it was a neat change of pace.

Zilch

Banned
For the record, the ONLY Gen 2 feature cut from Gen 3 was the realtime clock. People make it sound like RSE is totally gimped. :lol

edit: Gen 3 is also the first set of games that gave each town/city its own look and style, mainly because of the advanced hardware. I don't get why someone would say that those towns are "boring".

Dogenzaka said:
Diving underwater to find Relicanths was pure bliss. Surely you jest!

The towns were so cool too. A town in a forest canopy? A city at the base of a fiery volcano covered in ash? A village connected by floating logs? A walled city in the middle of the ocean? So awesome D:

They introduced double-battles, natures, contests, berries, enemy organizations with actual purpose, lots of neat-o stuff. But suit yourself :p
Wait... GSC didn't have berries? What then, were those bushes I picked fruit off of when I played a bit of a Japanese cart that one time? I wondered what they were supposed to do, but I couldn't figure out how to use them (mainly because I could only use items and moves by trial and error)

Also, I thought contests were a huge waste of time and double battles weren't utilised nearly enough.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Zilch said:
For the record, the ONLY Gen 2 feature cut from Gen 3 was the realtime clock. People make it sound like RSE is totally gimped. :lol

edit: Gen 3 is also the first set of games that gave each town/city its own look and style, mainly because of the advanced hardware. I don't get why someone would say that those towns are "boring".

Yeah the towns were great. Thankfully HG/SS gave some of the towns in Johto a distinct look and feel, because in the original GSC versions they were remarkably similar to each other and not very distinct.

I'd love to see a Hoenn remake next-gen with a real day-night system, added features like what HG/SS did to GSC, and perhaps being able to visit a new area.

Or maybe they could just take the next Pokemon game and let you visit old sectors :p

Wait... GSC didn't have berries? What then, were those bushes I picked fruit off of when I played a bit of a Japanese cart that one time? I wondered what they were supposed to do, but I couldn't figure out how to use them (mainly because I could only use items and moves by trial and error)

Sorry, they did have berries, but just "berries" if I recall. That's it. They weren't used to make pokeblocks or anything to actually build up your Pokemon.

But you likely picked off apricorns.

Also, I thought contests were a huge waste of time and double battles weren't utilised nearly enough.

Haha I must be weird. I loved the contests. Such a fun time-waster. Double battles might not have been perfectly utilized, but they were there and they were introduced :p

iirate

I put more time into Gen 3 than 2; although now with HG I'm appreciating Gen 2 more than ever (not to say I didn't love it back then).

Gen 3 was awesome because of secret bases. Why does Nintendo insist on cutting awesome features? Also, Gen 3 was awesome simply because it had some of the coolest Pokemon in the series. Also, if it counts, FRLG rocked as well.

DP bored the hell out of me to the point where this is the first gen that I didn't put any time into after beating the main game (which I'm rectifying now with HG).

Basically

2>3>>1>>>>>>>>4 so far for me.

Sixfortyfive

viciouskillersquirrel said:

There were berries in GSC. Not nearly as many and probably without as much utility, but they were there.

Also doesn't matter how much double battles are implemented in the quest so long as the option is there for competition. I'm kind of disappointed that Smogon still focuses almost exclusively on single battles. Hopefully Shoddy Battle 2 will change that a little. It'd be nice to finally have a metagame that isn't so focused on switches/counters.

iirate said:
DP bored the hell out of me to the point where this is the first gen that I didn't put any time into after beating the main game (which I'm rectifying now with HG).

Basically

2>3>>1>>>>>>>>4 so far for me.
Mt. Coronet was great, seeing gym leaders out and about and sort of living normal NPC lives was nice, Cynthia had the greatest champion theme ever, the starters were the best that the series had ever seen, special/physical split was long overdue, and you are an all around terrible person. :p

Dogenzaka said:
Sorry, they did have berries, but just "berries" if I recall. That's it. They weren't used to make pokeblocks or anything to actually build up your Pokemon.

But you likely picked off apricorns.
Apricorns, eh? Interesting.

I have no idea what that means. Please don't tell me what they are.

Dogenzaka said:
Haha I must be weird. I loved the contests. Such a fun time-waster. Double battles might not have been perfectly utilized, but they were there and they were introduced :p
I didn't like contests because the rules seemed overly complicated and counter-intuitive and there was no real battle benefit involved in getting ribbons. But yeah, to each his own.

Gravijah

Sixfortyfive said:
Mt. Coronet was great, seeing gym leaders out and about and sort of living normal NPC lives was nice, Cynthia had the greatest champion theme ever, the starters were the best that the series had ever seen, special/physical split was long overdue, and you are an all around terrible person. :p

I've been playing since the beginning and, nostalgia aside, Gen 4 is probably my favorite overall. So good.

Sixfortyfive

Ugh. Joey: Blah blah blah Rattata blah blah.

I'm pretty sure that GSC cannot objectively be considered the best generation simply because it brought us the Pokegear.

Eteric Rice

I really didn't like Sapphire, etc. For one, there were to many HMs. I'm one of the people that feels HMs need to go away, and be replaced by items (surf board, clippers) so I don't have to have one retarded Pokemon to carry all of the HMs.

Another thing is that the Pokemon designs were just weird looking. They didn't have the basic, interesting look that the first two gens had. Especially the legendary Pokemon.

Overall, I just didn't like it. I'd really love if they redesigned some of the WTF looking Pokemon.

Sixfortyfive

Everyone wants HMs to go away. It's not really difficult to get by with just 1 HM slave in either gen 3 or 4 but that also shouldn't be something that you have to do.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Ugh. Joey: Blah blah blah Rattata blah blah.

I'm pretty sure that GSC cannot objectively be considered the best generation simply because it brought us the Pokegear.

I think too many people put the game on an untouchable pedestal, really. I don't think they were the best. I think it is the best sequel in the franchise, because it brought about so many incredible new features that bested the original. But as far as the best overall game in the franchise, before HG/SS, I would have said it's Platinum.

Everyone wants HMs to go away. It's not really difficult to get by with just 1 HM slave in either gen 3 or 4 but that also shouldn't be something that you have to do.

Nobody would hate HM's if you could delete them whenever you wanted.

Another thing is that the Pokemon designs were just weird looking. They didn't have the basic, interesting look that the first two gens had. Especially the legendary Pokemon.

:l

Gen 1 had Pokemon like Jigglypuff, Jynx, Muk, Oddish, and Ditto, and you're complaining about the Gen that brought us beautiful Pokemon like Gardevoir, Absol, Blaziken, Swampert, Milotic, Salamence, Metagross, Zangoose, Kyogre and Groudon? :(

First time playing through Silver and having a blast so far. Just took down the fabled Miltank.
Sand Attack ftw?
Haven't had to grind yet but I almost lost to Whitney so the next Gym Leader might require some intense leveling if I don't want to abuse items.

Been spreading out the experience pretty evenly between Quilava, Pidgeotto, and Flaffy.

Sixfortyfive

Dogenzaka said:
Gen 1 had Pokemon like Jigglypuff, Jynx, Muk, Oddish, and Ditto, and you're complaining about the Gen that brought us beautiful Pokemon like Gardevoir, Absol, Blaziken, Swampert, Milotic, Salamence, Metagross, Zangoose, Kyogre and Groudon? :(
I try to ignore those sorts of comments. You will never win an argument against their selective memory.

Eteric Rice

Dogenzaka said:
I think too many people put the game on an untouchable pedestal, really. I don't think they were the best. I think it is the best sequel in the franchise, because it brought about so many incredible new features that bested the original. But as far as the best overall game in the franchise, before HG/SS, I would have said it's Platinum.

Nobody would hate HM's if you could delete them whenever you wanted.

:l

While Jiggly, Jynx, Muk, Oddish, and Ditto were weird, their designs were pretty simplistic. Pokemon like Groudon just look to busy and sleek to me.

Not ALL of the third gen Pokemon were bad.

Echoes

I get it. You want to have fucking sex with your Rattata. Stop calling me every fucking time just to brag about your smelly girlfriend.

I hate Rattata even more now. Dear fucking lord.

Unicorn

FootNinja said:
tried wearing the soothe bell/not fainting/poke walker/not putting it in the pc box ect?
Did all of that. All fucking day. Got him two haircuts too, first in party, leveled him up 10 times, gave him vitamins...

SlickVic

Damn forgot how addicting these games are. Went in expecting to play an hour then go back to studying, wound up playing a good 4 hours straight. :lol It's been so long since I played G/S that Johto feels very fresh to me (couldn't get into Platinum last year since it was just too soon since I last played Sinnoh). Still haven't checked out the Pokewalker either.

Also have to say the packaging for the game is very nice. The shiny outer box makes it feel like it's some Collector's Edition version. :D

Sixfortyfive

That Miltank lived up to the hype. Nothing that SmokeScreen and Flash couldn't cure though. Probably a little harder than Fantina's Mismagius.

Three badges down, and Togepi finally evolved!

Cyndaquil lv22
Togetic lv22

edit: Holy shit Joey SHUT UP!

Yeah, I think what we can all learn from this game is that Rattata is NOT a suitable discussion topic, nowhere relevant enough to call your friends about it!!

Finally got my Kanto team together (actually I still need to evolve Duskclubs into Dusknoir), after being distracted by Pokeathlon and filling out pokedex entries and getting those damn 30.000 watts in order to get a Snorunt, I can finally continue into Kanto grounds with my new team!

teamkanto.gif

All level 45

And caught a shiny Golbat last night which now has evolved into the pink vampire Crobat! So here is my group of shinies

teamshiny.gif

Badges: 8, Beat Jotho League.
Pokedex: 282
Play Time: 301 hours!
Legendaries: 11 (Thanks Sixtyfortyfive!)
Shiny: 5
PokeWalker: 30.380 watts

Unicorn

Metroid Killer said:
Yeah, I think what we can all learn from this game is that Rattata is NOT a suitable discussion topic, nowhere relevant enough to call your friends about it!!

Finally got my Kanto team together (actually I still need to evolve Duskclubs into Dusknoir), after being distracted by Pokeathlon and filling out pokedex entries and getting those damn 30.000 watts in order to get a Snorunt, I can finally continue into Kanto grounds with my new team!

teamkanto.gif

All level 45

And caught a shiny Golbat last night which now has evolved into the pink vampire Crobat! So here is my group of shinies

teamshiny.gif

How do you have 301 hours? The game came out sunday.

Delio

Metroid Killer said:

teamkanto.gif

All level 45

teamshiny.gif

I like the idea of having a Kanto Team that's diffrent. Maybe when i play thru this some time down the line i'll do that.

Sixfortyfive

My OCD habit of challenging every trainer as I come across them forces me to stop the game and change the DS clock when I come across a security guard in daytime. :lol

Are there any other time-sensitive trainer types? Joggers in DPPt only challenged you in the morning, for example.

Dogenzaka

Banned
jdogmoney said:
Yeah. It seems more...I don't know, compact? Relative to Gen III, that is.

Oh definitely. Gen III was way more open-ended and exploration based. But I absolutely ADORED that. It's something I find fault in Gen II, but to each his own.

Sixfortyfive said:
My OCD habit of challenging every trainer as I come across them forces me to stop the game and change the DS clock when I come across a security guard in daytime. :lol

Are there any other time-sensitive trainer types? Joggers in DPPt only challenged you in the morning, for example.
Not that I know off. I actually got scared the very first time the security guard challenged me. :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
Echoes said:
I get it. You want to have fucking sex with your Rattata. Stop calling me every fucking time just to brag about your smelly girlfriend.

I hate Rattata even more now. Dear fucking lord.
LMFAO omg I'm dealing with the Joey nuisance too. At least he only calls me once a day or so.

jdogmoney

I'm wondering about this Joey kid. The only person he talks to about his ratatta is some trainer who kicked his ass without a second thought? Poor guy.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Ookami-kun said:
So uh, is there a way to make Eggs hatch faster? These Eevee eggs are occupying space XP
If you have a pokemon with flame body/magma armor in your party egg hatch times are halved, I believe.

Slugma/magmar ect have the ability.

Ookami-kun said:
So uh, is there a way to make Eggs hatch faster? These Eevee eggs are occupying space XP
Unforotunately not, and eevees are the worst!

Edit: ^Nice didn't know that!

Eteric Rice said:
Jesus, why can't I find Magmar in the goddam tower? WRY?!
Why no just get a Magby from the PokeWalker? You can get one in the Rugged Road course.

Wiseblade

speaking of egg hatching, where's the long path in Johto? I mean an equivalent to route 209/solaceon/route 210 line that made breeding bearable.

fisheyes

Got Soul Silver today. Played far enough to just be on my way out of the first town. Thing is, I Gotta walk my dog soon, so how much furhter do I need to go until I can use the Pokewalker? I'm guessing I need the Pokedex.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
fisheyes said:
Got Soul Silver today. Played far enough to just be on my way out of the first town. Thing is, I Gotta walk my dog soon, so how much furhter do I need to go until I can use the Pokewalker? I'm guessing I need the Pokedex.
I think you can start using it when you can deposit a Pokemon in a box, since that is how you transfer it to the PokeWalker. You transfer from the games title screen menu as well.

OMG Aero

If you refuse to add someone's phone number do you miss out on anything or can you just come back and get it later? I've seen a lot of complaining about the phone calls in this game so I might just avoid them entirely.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
So who do you guys think is the most uninspired design in all of pokemon?

I could never see myself putting this guy
Spr_4d_203_f_s.png
in my team.

His name is also pretty stupid.

OMG Aero said:
If you refuse to add someone's phone number do you miss out on anything or can you just come back and get it later? I've seen a lot of complaining about the phone calls in this game so I might just avoid them entirely.
You can always get them later, if you can find them that is. After certain progressions in the game they'll call you for rematches which is free decent exp points!

I always thought Girafarig was interesting because of its tail and its type combo is unique. though I've never used one on my team though. Its japanese name is better imo (kirinriki: Kirin = Giraffe Nenriki=Psychokinesis, and it's still a hiragana palindrome).

Sixfortyfive

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Wiseblade said:
speaking of egg hatching, where's the long path in Johto? I mean an equivalent to route 209/solaceon/route 210 line that made breeding bearable.
Well if its anything like the original Gold/Silver then there isn't anything. In the original games everything was shrunk in order to fit in two regions so all the routes were rather short and broken up. So unless they extended the routes in the remakes, I don't believe there would be any comparable routes in Johto.

Top Bottom