• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Axis

i can help you ivysaur my FC is 1591 6876 4222

and thanks for trying, ryan...pretty sure it's not gonna work =\

Axis

ryan-ts said:
Weird, all my other trades worked.

yeah mine too...i had that problem with diamond a lot where it didn't connect to certain people but you're the first person i haven't been able to connect to on gold/silver

ivysaur12

Banned
Axis said:
yeah mine too...i had that problem with diamond a lot where it didn't connect to certain people but you're the first person i haven't been able to connect to on gold/silver

Hmm that was weird.

For whatever reason it wasn't letting me connect with Axis. Anyone else wanna give it a try?

Axis

sorry ivysaur i have no idea what's going on with it right now =\

what's the best time to evolve gligar? does he learn the same moves if you evolve him early or is it best to wait?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Blizzard said:
The good:

They FINALLY made stuff like "speed sharply fell" just take one timing beat and one display section! There's apparently no "HOOTHOOT's SPEED ... ... ... SHARPLY ... FELL!" :D

The bad:

Am I correct in stating that you cannot turn auto-run on without the touchscreen, cannot turn auto-run off without the touch screen, cannot walk with auto-run on (i.e. by holding the run button which would make PERFECT SENSE), and cannot use a SECOND button on your second registered item? The touchscreen isn't bad, but I thought someone told me that you could register two items to buttons, and now it seems you have to use the touchscreen for the second one so you still have to move your hands around or just use stylus only for the right hand. Minor gripes, but still...they polish some things so much and then miss stuff like that. :/

Yeah. I mean L and R are still useless, they should have mapped the second register to one of them.

Any tips for catching Lugia without using the Master Ball?

I know it's tough from from experience with previous games, but I've blown through 50-something Ultra Balls with him at one pixel width of HP and paralyzed or asleep with only 3 "Shoot! It was so close too!"s the entire time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is the Timer Ball in the game? Or whatever the fourth gen (catch rate = how long the battle has been going on) ball is.

Throw that shit at him after fifteen turns, it should catch his ass no matter what. At least, it should. I forget the exact figures/percents for the ball every turn rate is.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
False Swipe it to 1 HP. Have a reliable sleep move like Spore.

Dusk Balls are twice as good as Ultra Balls at night or in caves. Not sure if there are better balls in HGSS.

Edit: It takes 30 turns before a Timer Ball is as effective as a Dusk Ball.

ryan-ts

HappyBivouac said:
Any tips for catching Lugia without using the Master Ball?

I know it's tough from from experience with previous games, but I've blown through 50-something Ultra Balls with him at one pixel width of HP and paralyzed or asleep with only 3 "Shoot! It was so close too!"s the entire time.

Lugia had the tiniest sliver of health when I caught it, it was also paralyzed. Maybe you're just having bad luck because it didn't take me near 50 balls.

Wow, 30 minutes left in Friday (according to my DS, which isn't on DST apparently), which is the day to get Dusk Balls from the Goldenrod lottery. Thanks!

edit: went and got 20 dusk balls. Turns out I only needed one. :lol

Axis said:
sorry ivysaur i have no idea what's going on with it right now =\

what's the best time to evolve gligar? does he learn the same moves if you evolve him early or is it best to wait?
Yeah they learn the same moves at the same level, so as soon as possible is good. Gliscor also has some Electric, Fire, Poison and Ice moves that it can relearn.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
..This game seems a lot harder than any of the other Pokemons I've played.
I'm getting my ass handed to me at the Azalea gym.

Caught my second ever shiny! Shiny Caterpie! During the Bug Catching Contest no less. Too bad it wasn't a Scyther, haha. Somewhere between 15 and 20 hours in, and only 4 badges. This is officially the slowest I've EVER taken a Pokemon game, and I am loving every minute of it.

DarthButcher said:
Caught my second ever shiny! Shiny Caterpie! During the Bug Catching Contest no less. Too bad it wasn't a Scyther, haha. Somewhere between 15 and 20 hours in, and only 4 badges. This is officially the slowest I've EVER taken a Pokemon game, and I am loving every minute of it.
Congrats! I just caught a Shiny Golbat a few days ago, pretty good feeling, eh?

Oh and see if you can beat my 300+ hours and 8 badges ^_^

Anyone have a spare lucky egg they could trade me? I am so not looking forward to grinding all my Pokemon up to 55ish, and it looks like there's no way to get the egg before beating the elite four.

Axis

Metroid Killer said:
Yeah they learn the same moves at the same level, so as soon as possible is good. Gliscor also has some Electric, Fire, Poison and Ice moves that it can relearn.

thanks for the reply. didn't want to level him too early and lose out on anything!

Sixfortyfive

Dogenzaka said:
In my 12 years of Pokemon gaming, I've never run into a shiny. You're all lying/hacking. :p
I've only encountered 5, and 2 of them don't really count.

- Zigzagoon in Emerald. KO'd from a critical hit.
- Articuno in Fire Red, while soft-resetting dozens of times for one with good stats. Decided to settle for this instead.
- Wurmple in Plat. Not sure what I'm going to do with it.
- Event Pichu.
- HGSS Red Gyarados. Made sure to sync this one for a good nature.

It's reportedly rather easy to hunt for shinies with the DPPt Pokeradar. I wouldn't know, because most shinies look stupid anyway and I never really cared for them.

Sixfortyfive said:
It's reportedly rather easy to hunt for shinies with the DPPt Pokeradar. I wouldn't know, because most shinies look stupid anyway and I never really cared for them.
I'm glad that there's no tool like the pokeradar in HGSS. Sure I would love to have more shinies, but I think their function as something that pops up due to pure conincidence is really nice. You shouldn't hunt for shinies, they come to you ;-)

Diffense

Metroid Killer said:
I'm glad that there's no tool like the pokeradar in HGSS. Sure I would love to have more shinies, but I think their function as something that pops up due to pure conincidence is really nice. You shouldn't hunt for shinies, they come to you ;-)

It's still pretty coincidental with the Pokeradar, your odds are just improved from the usual once in a blue moon odds and then only when you get a long enough chain.

I think they also say if you breed and international Pokemon with one from your game there are slightly improved odds of getting a shiny baby.

I have never tried that method but I did Pokeadar to see if it worked and I got two shiny Bagon for my efforts but I encountered hundreds of normal ones in the process.

swerve

Blizzard said:
cannot walk with auto-run on (i.e. by holding the run button which would make PERFECT SENSE)

It would not make perfect sense for me. When using always run, I regularly catch myself still holding down the run button. I cannot make myself stop this behavior. I have been taught it for over a decade.

So, making the run button into the walk button would annoy me greatly and result in me not using auto-run. This would possibly make me write a rant on an internet forum about the things which seem to make PERFECT SENSE to me, but possibly not for anyone else.

The same is true for Mario. It's all about the comfortable position of holding the buttons and if you mess with it... OH BOY if someone messes with it I'm going to get pissed.

Poyunch

The only shiny I ever got from the Pokeradar was a Golduck.

edit: Bulbapedia's down for me so I gotta ask. When I evolve my Geodude should I just immediately turn it into a Golem or keep it as a Graveler for a while? I've never really bothered with trade evolution Pokemon until now. :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
This is my first pokemon game since Red, and I got 5 legit Shinies :D

Wtf :( the only one I ever got was Red Gyrados, but he's easy.

What the hell!

- HGSS Red Gyarados. Made sure to sync this one for a good nature.

...I totally forgot to look up how to do this before I caught him just a few hours ago. Wish I knew how to Synchronize before I did that. DARNIT

Btw what is there to do at the Radio Tower in Goldenrod? I haven't really been there since taking out Team Rocket, but Sixfortyfive reminded me about the daily ID lottery on the ground floor, and I think I saw some comments about some other stuff.

Poyunch

Metroid Killer said:
Btw what is there to do at the Radio Tower in Goldenrod? I haven't really been there since taking out Team Rocket, but Sixfortyfive reminded me about the daily ID lottery on the ground floor, and I think I saw some comments about some other stuff.
Buena's Password?

upandaway

PounchEnvy said:

edit: Bulbapedia's down for me so I gotta ask. When I evolve my Geodude should I just immediately turn it into a Golem or keep it as a Graveler for a while? I've never really bothered with trade evolution Pokemon until now. :lol
Well I assume if you miss a Graveler's attack or something, you could just get it using the Move Relearner. But I'm not 100% if it works like that.

Dogenzaka said:
In my 12 years of Pokemon gaming, I've never run into a shiny. You're all lying/hacking. :p
- I caught 3 Shinies on the original Gold(Pidgeot, murkrow and Tentacool).
- Shiny Electrode and Golbat in Emerald.
- 2 Shiny Shinx in Diamond

And my most prized shiny is a Shiny Giratina from Diamond. I saved in front of her because I don't have a plan to catch her sooner. Me and my girlfriend loved the Giratina's Battle music, so we'll just turn on the game, press A and listen to her theme. One night, when my girlfriend "fought her", she screamed "hey she's glitching!"(she doesn't have any idea about the shinies), I looked and realize that it is a shiny Giratina and Master Ball'd it. :3

PounchEnvy said:

If I remember correctly, all Trade Evolutions have the exact same learnset before and after the evolution. So trade as soon as you can :)

Sixfortyfive

Oh man Clair, you're a real piece of work. Gym leaders are allowed to do that?! 8 gym battles down, at any rate.

Cyndaquil lv35
Togetic lv35
Sudowoodo lv35
Espeon lv36
Gyarados lv35

Need to add that ExtremeSpeed Dratini to the team and level it up against all those NPC trainers I skipped... Not liking the looks of this. Can the E4 be handled at sub-40 levels? We're going to find out.

Sixfortyfive said:
Oh man Clair, you're a real piece of work. Gym leaders are allowed to do that?! 8 gym battles down, at any rate.

Cyndaquil lv35
Togetic lv35
Sudowoodo lv35
Espeon lv36
Gyarados lv35

Need to add that ExtremeSpeed Dratini to the team and level it up against all those NPC trainers I skipped... Not liking the looks of this. Can the E4 be handled at sub-40 levels? We're going to find out.
Good luck! I tried at lvl 40 and got beat up pretty bad. Then I tried again when most of my team was around 41-42. Knowing what was coming up and brining lots of potions and stuff with me made it a lot easier to win.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I beat Pryce. What a dick.

I declare false advertising on that stupid gym. Don't tell me your gym likes Ice Pokemon, Pryce, make me put Cyndaquil at the front of my party, and then knock him out because you guys like yelling "surprise" as you draw out Shellders, Cloysters, Seels and Dewgongs :(

So I got to Pryce and man that guy's Dewgong was annoying as all hell. I beat him finally with a sliver of red health on my last Pokemon. I had to teach Pichu Thunder because its Volt Tackle was killing it too early.

Dewgong was wiping out my team something fierce, and then it would go to sleep and attack me in its sleep wtf :(

Killed the bastards though. Took me a few rounds to remember that Piloswine was weak to water.

My team is now

Geodude lvl 29
Togetic lvl 31
Cyndaquil lvl 30
Weepinbell lvl 28
Spiky-Eared Pichu lvl 32
Marshtomp lvl 28

Somewhere between the year 2000 and now, the gym leaders have become sneaky little pricks. Morty was just infuriating. Chuck was getting pretty annoying too because his Primeape became literally untouchable after using so many successful Double Teams.

Ookami-kun said:
So who should I pick between Ampharos and Jolteon?
I prefer Jolteon. Ampharos is slightly better in pretty much all stats but Jolteon got some insane speed and Jolteon's Special Attack is pretty much on par with Ampharos.

upandaway

Jasmine was out as easily as I thought she would be.

However, I battled every single trainer I saw now, and I'm still 2-3 levels lower than some of you guys after the 6th gym (all 26 except Heracross at 27). Worried like fuck because of Dogenzaka saying Pryce uses water Pokemon... I'm not battling that guy until my friend comes over and I can get my Leafeon.

CoolS

Damn you all, I still have to wait a full week for this game. But this thread reminded me how much I hated the Gym leaders in Gold back when I was a kid. They were just so fucking hard :(

Currently trying to catch Cresselia on my Platinum- After that, combined with HG, I have most of the legendaries and except the ones missing all unobtainable Pokémon in HG.

Already bred a Skarmory which I might trade over to my HeartGold and then hatch there. Not sure about this yet, maybe I'll just do a "regular" team without trading.

Top Bottom