• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Cloyster and Dewgong are Water/Ice, so he's not technically a cheating bastard. Their pre-evolutions are just Water though.

If you can't 2HKO some of them, be ready for repeated Rest/SleepTalk/Snore.

upandaway said:
Jasmine was out as easily as I thought she would be.

However, I battled every single trainer I saw now, and I'm still 2-3 levels lower than some of you guys after the 6th gym (all 26 except Heracross at 27). Worried like fuck because of Dogenzaka saying Pryce uses water Pokemon... I'm not battling that guy until my friend comes over and I can get my Leafeon.
I think that using a team of 6 pokemon and only taking on NPCs is really tough. Also you might wanna know that Heracross is one helluva exp. eater, you'll most likely have to grind him at least.

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
I think that using a team of 6 pokemon and only taking on NPCs is really tough. Also you might wanna know that Heracross is one helluva exp. eater, you'll most likely have to grind him at least.
I'm still training 5, but yeah, that's the big reason. Heracross' low EXP rate didn't show up yet though.

The double battle on the way to Safari Zone really kicked my ass. 3 down, 2 paralyzed with low HP, just to take down Electrobuzz and Magmar in lower levels than any of my Pokemon. Holy shit.

nli10

Note to UK fans of the Mon - don't forget this weekend is the final Arceus Event thingys:

FULL LIST

Saturday 20th March

Gateshead - 17 Red Pathway, Metro Centre, Gateshead, NE11 9HX
Preston - Unit 8, Fishergate Centre, Preston, Lancashire, PR1 8HJ
Selfridges, Birmingham - 2nd Floor, Upper Mall East, Bullring, Birmingham, B5 4BP
Aylesbury - Units 36-37, Friars Sq. Shopping Centre, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP20 2SP
Cabot Circus, Bristol - SU16 Cabot Circus, Broadmead, Bristol, BS1 3BH
Kingston - 64-66 Clearence Street, Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, KT1 1NP
Plymouth - 81-83 New George Street, Plymouth, Devon, PL1 1RB

Sunday 21st March

Newcastle - 3 Chevy Chase, Eldon Square, Newcastle, Tyne and Wear, NE1 7XP
Liverpool - Unit 44, South John Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L1 8BU
Wolverhampton - 55 Dudley Street, Wolverhampton, West Midlands, WW1 3EY
Harrow - 68-70 St Anns Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 1JX
Hanley - 214-215 The Potteries, Hanley, Staffordshire, ST1 1PS
Reading - Unit 18, Oracle Shopping Centre Reading, Berkshire, RG1 2AQ
Monks Cross, Callington - Unit B, Monks Cross Retail Park, Huntington, York, YO32 9GX

I'm off to Selfridges. :D

nli10 said:
Note to UK fans of the Mon - don't forget this weekend is the final Arceus Event thingys:

Bah! What good is it, when you can't download it to your HGSS game :( You don't happen to get two of them? *wink wink*

Wizpig

nli10 said:
In Europe Nintendo is talking about this "event" on their official website too.
Such bullshit, they had the flute ready, couldn't they give it away with WiFi? or, if they really wanted to do this marketing thing, give the flute at those stores.

Goddamnit Nintendo.
I already got my level 100 Arceus and I couldn't care less; I didn't get to do the subquest, I didn't get to hear the Arceus battle music... all I got was this Pokémon to trade in Heart Gold when it comes out and get another useless Pokémon.
Also, a stupid shiny Pichu.

nli10

Metroid Killer said:
Bah! What good is it, when you can't download it to your HGSS game :( You don't happen to get two of them? *wink wink*

Yeah - I'm getting one onto my Platinum but have no way to nab a 2nd. Next weekend I could have got 2 by putting one onto Gold. :(

upandaway

I wish:
I didn't have to decide between deposit, withdraw or move before going in the boxes
I could register repels to the touch screen
I could register 4 items instead of 2
The music didn't change while I was on bicycle (from the start, not just when I move through a door)
Encounter rate didn't go up during running/riding and/or encounter rate was the same as in RBGY
Surfing sprite changed depending on the Pokemon
The touch interface wasn't so slow and clunky
The dowsing machine didn't require an extra click to activate every time the bottom screen blackens out
Ice was super effective against fighting
I could block phone numbers
I could organize the bottom screen with pre-designed buttons (!!)
Dugtrio's sprite didn't look so wrong
Lyra had more than 3 sentences/called no more than 3 times
Those two Rocket Grunts didn't take 1000$ from me more than once
I could run away safely more often

Still, I really appreciate the huge amount of detail (most notably the companion behaviors and Mahogany). Once I was on a tiny sandy square in the middle of the sea, with my Quilava out, so I talk to him and he makes an unhappy face. I take about 10 seconds to realize why. It surprised me how far they went with that.
Awesome, awesome game, but could use more polish in some areas.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Did not think my slave-less HM distribution all the way through for this team. I need to evolve Cyndaquil before it can learn Strength.... Ah well. Doesn't look like he was going to make it to Eruption before Kanto anyway. Flamethrower will do.

I'm at the Lake of Rage right now. Already got my red Gyrados. It's so nice playing the game again. I can avoid mistakes that I made the very first time I played Pokemon, like not catching Legendaries or the Gyrados.

You know what would actually be really nice, though? Auto Battle in Pokemon. Like... you push a button, and the game will automatically battle for you. It would go great when you use Ampharos against those guys with 4 Magikarps.

I'm loving this game a lot, though. Such a fine adventure and a fine land. I've felt like that I've been playing it forever, only to realize I'm not even half finished with the game.

thefil

To all the people looking for trades for fire/leaf/etc stones: you can get them from the Pokeathalon. It only takes about 20 minutes to amass 2500 points if you play an event you're good at.

I just got my seventh badge. Actually went back to do Justine after Pryce, who I found super easy. Turns out pulling out Croconaw against Steelix was the way to go; much more effective than my Magmar.

thefil said:
To all the people looking for trades for fire/leaf/etc stones: you can get them from the Pokeathalon. It only takes about 20 minutes to amass 2500 points if you play an event you're good at.
Then again you might want to wait spending to much time at the pokeathlon pre- E4. After beating E4 the Pokeathlon store will have more goods and you'll get an additional 300 points for placing 1st.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also save up the numbers of trainers who said that will find items for you. They generally give you rare stuff like stones.

nli10

Wizpig said:
In Europe Nintendo is talking about this "event" on their official website too.
Such bullshit, they had the flute ready, couldn't they give it away with WiFi? or, if they really wanted to do this marketing thing, give the flute at those stores.

Goddamnit Nintendo.
I already got my level 100 Arceus and I couldn't care less; I didn't get to do the subquest, I didn't get to hear the Arceus battle music... all I got was this Pokémon to trade in Heart Gold when it comes out and get another useless Pokémon.
Also, a stupid shiny Pichu.

Just back from the event - mostly seemed to be 16-20 year olds, with a couple of us older folks lurking at the back.

Had set up DSi to mystery gift on the bus so took less than 10 seconds to get the Arceus!

There was a free plastic figure of the guy up for offer too so I bought a PokeBall thing (which had that green legendary in - Rayquaza?) and got one of those. I've a few collectables freaks in my life that will want that, and for £1.99 it's not too bad.

Had to go to Krispy Kreme and get a doughnut too so all in all cost me £3.50 for a lvl 100 Arceus.

GameStation meanwhile had a tent up in store for GodOfWar3 so the kiddies couldn't see how Xtreme it all is. I'd rather have Pokemon to be honest...

Red Gyarados is before the 7th. Suicune is halfway in Kanto.

Man I'm always nervous as fuck when searching for pokemon in the safari zone. You never know if they'll stay in the awful safari balls and god help me if a shiny shows up!

Metroid Killer said:

Man I'm always nervous as fuck when searching for pokemon in the safari zone. You never know if they'll stay in the awful safari balls and god help me if a shiny shows up!

Yeah, I got the red Gyarados, and that's where I am in the game now. How do I get past the guy that keeps denying me getting to the next town? It's the city directly below Lake of Rage..

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:

You have no right to talk about shinies. :(

red shoe paul said:
Yeah, I got the red Gyarados, and that's where I am in the game now. How do I get past the guy that keeps denying me getting to the next town? It's the city directly below Lake of Rage..
Well lurk around in the town, anybody suspicious might be worth checking out.

Yeah, before and after the 7th badge are some story events.

I just beat the 7th leader. No trouble with him, since I had Ampharos and Feraligator.

By the way, while wearing the Team Rocket uniform, talking to the people in the Dept. Store is kinda fun. :lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So if I choose Jolt, should I just use thunderstone on the level 1 eevee or make it level up first?

Ookami-kun said:
How do I ensure that I get Tyrogue to have equal Atk and Def when he levels up to 20?
Give him Iron and Protein in order to manipulate the stats.

Easystride said:
Just caught my first shiny ever, a shiny Mareep. Guess I'll level him up.

Nice that's a pretty shiny!
Spr_4h_179_s.png

Android18a said:
A shiny Mareep? My favourite G/S Pokemon made even more awesome.:D

*really wants a new shiny, hasnt had one since Emerald*
Yea, I'm pretty excited. Ampharos is one of my favorite electric pokemon, and he looks pretty cool colored pink. :lol

Use a HM Slave = A Pokemon that you give HM moves only.

People usually have at least two Pokemon Slaves, a waterbased and a 'normal' one.

Bidoof, Sandshrew, Tropius and Tentacool are some good HM Slaves.

mandiller

The only shiny I ever got was in the original Pokemon Silver. It was a shiny Golbat, which I evolved into a Crobat. It was PINK! God damn.

nli10 said:

FULL LIST

Saturday 20th March

Gateshead - 17 Red Pathway, Metro Centre, Gateshead, NE11 9HX
Preston - Unit 8, Fishergate Centre, Preston, Lancashire, PR1 8HJ
Selfridges, Birmingham - 2nd Floor, Upper Mall East, Bullring, Birmingham, B5 4BP
Aylesbury - Units 36-37, Friars Sq. Shopping Centre, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP20 2SP
Cabot Circus, Bristol - SU16 Cabot Circus, Broadmead, Bristol, BS1 3BH
Kingston - 64-66 Clearence Street, Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, KT1 1NP
Plymouth - 81-83 New George Street, Plymouth, Devon, PL1 1RB

Sunday 21st March

Newcastle - 3 Chevy Chase, Eldon Square, Newcastle, Tyne and Wear, NE1 7XP
Liverpool - Unit 44, South John Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L1 8BU
Wolverhampton - 55 Dudley Street, Wolverhampton, West Midlands, WW1 3EY
Harrow - 68-70 St Anns Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 1JX
Hanley - 214-215 The Potteries, Hanley, Staffordshire, ST1 1PS
Reading - Unit 18, Oracle Shopping Centre Reading, Berkshire, RG1 2AQ
Monks Cross, Callington - Unit B, Monks Cross Retail Park, Huntington, York, YO32 9GX

FUCK! If I had known there was one in Aylesbury, I'd have got a bus there. It's only 45 minutes, and only a week ago I was thinking about taking a trip there sometime anyway.

If only I had known before today, or even this morning, I'd have definitely went along.

Hex

Banned
Ok, on the Shiny topic (Pokemon noob here) how do you know when you find one?
I have heard that they are different colors than normal but is that the only way to know?

upandaway said:
I wish:

...Ice was super effective against fighting

Why? That makes no sense. As it is, Fighting is super-effective against Ice, because it's logical that Fighting type moves would shatter Ice in the same way as Rock and Steel.

Hex said:
Ok, on the Shiny topic (Pokemon noob here) how do you know when you find one?
I have heard that they are different colors than normal but is that the only way to know?
Stars will also shoot out and a sparkle sound effect can be heard.

Ookami-kun said:
Ah ok, thanks.

How much stats do each vitamin add anyway? +1?
Yup

vid

I sincerely hope Nintendo does another Arceus event for the US... totally overlooked the one last year, and I'm regretting it now. HGSS has made me start playing pretty hardcore again, which I haven't done since my original Red/Blue versions.... as a result, the sting of missing Arceus and (very foolishly) deleting my Deoxys is very noticeable.

EzLink

Banned
woooo my skarmory is now fully EV trained. I'll probably competitively train one more pokemon, take on the E4 and then start building my kanto team. Which so far is probably going to consist of:

Venasaur (Bulbasaur was my first pokemon ever, and I loved my Venasaur so much in Blue. Haven't raised one since so I figure this is a good time to do so)
Charizard (one of my favorite pokeyz)
Jolteon

Maybe Gyrados too, but not the shiny one (because everyone will be using that!)

Looking forward to it. This game is just so fucking awesome. I wish I didn't have to work today so I could just play it for 7 hours straight :(

EDIT: Also you luky bastards, I've never once enountered a shiny. Not in Silver, not in Sapphire, not in Leafgreen, not in Pearl, not in Platinum, and so far not in SoulSilver :(

I've only had a few shinies:

Red Gyarados (duh)
shiny Makuhita (sapphire)
shiny Torchic (Emerald)
shiny Gabite (Pearl)
shiny Zigzagoon(NYC PokeCenter?)
shiny Palkia(traded a guy for my Dialga)
shiny Pichu(US WiFi event)

3 from events, 1 from trade, 3 actually caught.

ColtraineGF said:
I've only had a few shinies:

Red Gyarados (duh)
shiny Makuhita (sapphire)
shiny Torchic (Emerald)
shiny Gabite (Pearl)
shiny Zigzagoon(NYC PokeCenter?)
shiny Palkia(traded a guy for my Dialga)
shiny Pichu(US WiFi event)
I hope EzLink doesn't see this... 7 shinies is not a few!

Top Bottom