• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

ffdgh

I can't fathom SRing for any pokemon...You guys have some dedication.

Truth be told, If it wasn't for the nice guaranteed 3ivs for legends and RNG abuse in gen 5, I wouldn't even bother.

On an unrealated note, being able to fly directly to routes/locations now is so good and being able to set organize at the top when using the PC. <3

Linius

I really need to train my poke's a bit tomorrow and get past the sixth gym. Fly opens up the world behind me much more. I apparently already walked past the megastone for Manetric so I need to get that. And visit my mum too. I feel like I'm never gonna end the story, I'm going so slowly. A lot of study and work load doesn't help though.

one_kill

So whats the consensus, better than xy?
It's better in some respects. ORAS has better mechanics and the post game trumps what XY had. XY has better Pokemon variety and environments, as well as character customisation and friend safari.

Grinding items / equipments / gifts for me. You need to put it against another amiibo and let them fight.

Forget it, just saw that I needed at least 2 amiibos for it to work. Sigh, just wasted a 99 stock match.
Awww, dw at least you know for next time

Atrarock

Oh yeah, that too. Does that open up after the sixt gym too? Hope I don't have to drag along Latias for that.
Latios/Latias don't need to be in your party for you to use soar/soaring/flying with style (they need to start doing more often to reduce HM slaves)

You only need the Eon Flute...which is obtained after capturing Groudon/Kyogre.

ffdgh

I really need to train my poke's a bit tomorrow and get past the sixth gym. Fly opens up the world behind me much more. I apparently already walked past the megastone for Manetric so I need to get that. And visit my mum too. I feel like I'm never gonna end the story, I'm going so slowly. A lot of study and work load doesn't help though.

Just beat her myself. That freaking altaria with that roost/cotton guard spam screwed me over on my first try. Still trying to decided when I'll start evolving my team.

MicH

20 flags away from gold. This flag grinding is so easy - especially if you're friends with someone who is doing it too. I've gotten 30 flags from Daboss three times now

Naive Azelf with perfect HP, Sp. Atk and Speed and decent atk,def and sp def(all over 20). I'll take it.

I wanted Timid but I don't have a Timid Synchronizer :(

Joey Ravn

Banned
Truth be told, If it wasn't for the nice guaranteed 3ivs for legends and RNG abuse in gen 5, I wouldn't even bother.

On an unrealated note, being able to fly directly to routes/locations now is so good and being able to set organize at the top when using the PC. <3

Wait, what!? HOW!? HOOOOW!? :O

PS: Where are we exchanging FCs? I'd love to add you guys to my Friend List :)

ffdgh

Wait, what!? HOW!? HOOOOW!? :O

PS: Where are we exchanging FCs? I'd love to add you guys to my Friend List :)

Talk to Lanette In her house on route 114 and she'll ask if you want to switch withdraw with organize.

You have to read the Route signs to fly there iirc.
Edit: Oh missed the bolded.... I still get confused when I open up my PC because of the placement.

Haha same. Years of muscle memory is hard to break.

Oh god I might have bought the wrong game.

I'm going to have two Groudons, Reshirams and Tornadus but zero Kyogre, Zekrom and Thundurus.

I'd rather not trade my old ones(sentimental value) and I want to get some good new ones so I want to keep those too. Guess I'll just suck it up and trade the old ones.

Oh god I might have bought the wrong game.

I'm going to have two Groudons, Reshirams and Tornadus but zero Kyogre, Zekrom and Thundurus.

I'd rather not trade my old ones(sentimental value) and I want to get some good new ones so I want to keep those too. Guess I'll just suck it up and trade the old ones.

There's always ways to get legendaries without trading a legendary. Shiny for legendary is the easiest. If you don't want to go that route there's always bred pokemon.

People always think legendaries are the hardest thing to get in a trade. Only things that are truly hard are event pokemon, everything else is easy or just takes some effort.

Griss

Not at all. X/Y is far superior, imo. ORAS feels lazy by comparison. That's partly a product of being a remake, but there are plenty of small things that frustrate in this game.

Biggest problem for me was lack of pokemon diversity early, when you're really building your team, and poor level scaling of your opponents, who seem always 10 levels below you no matter what you do.

The best part of the game comes after you beat the Elite Four, so in that respects it's the opposite of X/Y, where it's the entire journey that's enjoyable but there's not much to do after the credits roll. I far preferred X/Y.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Man, I must have some of the worst luck in the secret base pal bonus flag method.

I keep getting green flags where people haven't spent any time gathering, lol.

On the plus side, it's easy to level my linoone for leftovers with the ace trainers, lol.

If anyone's actively flag hunting, lemme know, we can swap QR codes.

Personally I liked it better than XY. Pacing felt better and sure the diversity sucked but it's the main game, never cared about pokemon in the main game. There is definitely more to do in the game and that automatically spills into post-game which is a tad better than XY.

I didn't play Ruby for that long and don't remember anything from that playthrough so this is pretty much my first serious run through Hoenn.

Kinokou

I haven't seen anyone mention this in the pages I read but Pokemon can expel poison now?

I have been using the PC to heal my party ever since I got poison heal activated om my Shroomish and now the poising just went away during battle.

It strikes me that it can have been an item switching attack for a lum berry or something, but I didn't really pay attention to the battle. Anyone know anything about it?

I haven't seen anyone mention this in the pages I read but Pokemon can expel poison now?

I have been using the PC to heal my party ever since I got poison heal activated om my Shroomish and now the poising just went away during battle.

It strikes me that it can have been an item switching attack for a lum berry or something, but I didn't really pay attention to the battle. Anyone know anything about it?

You maxed it's hearts out in amie? Cause if you did then it can shrug off status effects sometimes.

The selection only sucks early on. It gets way better as you progress, though.

A lot of the better Pokemon are harder to find and more sparse, though, but I actually like it that way. It was so easy to get any Pokemon you wanted in X/Y. :/

The selection only sucks early on. It gets way better as you progress, though.

A lot of the better Pokemon are harder to find and more sparse, though, but I actually like it that way. It was so easy to get any Pokemon you wanted in X/Y. :/

Actually one of the things that I liked in dexnav. You won't see all the pokemon listed unless you actually used it to hunt. No crown, means you havn't found everything yet and might be missing out.

So I have Scizor, Skarmory and Mammoswine on my team that will become competitive, who else should I have to even it out a bit?

Well, for starters all 3 are weak to fire, and none of them resist water, so a bulky Water type would be nice here. When using a Scizor you always want to take out potential counters, assuming you want him to sweep.

Is Scizor your mega? Also, what moves for your three Pokemon?
Planning on him to be. Haven't come that far just like building my team while fighting the gyms.
Well, for starters all 3 are weak to fire, and none of them resist water, so a bulky Water type would be nice here. When using a Scizor you always want to take out potential counters, assuming you want him to sweep.
Who would you suggest?
Honestly I know what sweeping is but not sure how I'd do it.

Planning on him to be. Haven't come that far just like building my team while fighting the gyms.

Who would you suggest?

A bulky water, a Milotic would do quite well. Or a Jellicent if you want to add some typing into the equation.

one_kill

Who would you suggest?
You don't know how to design a sweeper? Sweepers are just fast attackers meant to OHKO or clean up. So you want a nature that benefits either Att or SpA, or Speed. You'd also want perfect IVs; particularly in Speed and SpA or Att.

As for your team, you'd need a counter to Pokemon like Blaziken. Jellicent, as Wyndstryker suggested, is pretty good. Not sure what else to recommend as it's entirely up to you how you want to play competitively. My team usually consists of three sweepers (two openers and one clean up), two tanks/stallers (one physical and one special), and an offensive tank (which holds an Assault Vest).

Storm Drain can be an interesting way to scare off water type moves (negates the move completely and boosts special attack) but it can hard to capitalise on the advantage. Water Absorb and Dry Skin can do similar things (although the latter comes with an added fire weakness...).

There is also the matter of what type of games are you going to play. 6v6 single, Battle spot singles (see 6, pick 3), doubles etc...

Your team is all weak to fire, get a pokemon to deal with them
Mamoswine is very likely to have Thick Fat which effectively removes the fire weakness though. Still the first problem I have looking at the team is what is meant special attacks...of course that is why it is an incomplete team.

DaBoss

20 flags away from gold. This flag grinding is so easy - especially if you're friends with someone who is doing it too. I've gotten 30 flags from Daboss three times now
Everyone needs to Game Sync. I think that is required to get updates on friends' secret bases.

And talk to Aarune after getting to the milestones (30, 100, 500, 1000) to update your flag.

And a guide to get flags:
Using this method that was talked about yesterday, I got from 90 flags to 336 flags this morning:
1. Go to Secret Bases 5 at a time
2. Collect the flag there and add them as a Secret Pal, regardless of what their flag color is.
3. Go back to your base and talk to them. They may or may not give flags and the amount will vary.
4. Ask them to do a Special Talent thing. Make sure you talked to Aarune after getting 30, 100, 500, and 1000 flags. You will be able to choose from more than one Special Talent, and some of them are pretty nice. The best one is they can give you evolution stones and Everstones by choosing the "Pick up stones" option.
5. Say good-bye to them so that you have more room for Secret Pals.
6. Once you're done with all of the secret bases, go to your PC and delete their Secret Bases.

Who would you suggest?

You should read the "Rate my team" threads over at Smogon or Nuggetbridge. I'll get links for you and edit them in in just a sec.
Alright, Smogon is primarily devoted to singles: here's there OU RMT board
...And here is Nugget Bridge's RMT thread, which specializes in VGC doubles for official tournies.

Top Bottom