• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Koren

I save before encountering the legendary. If it's a situation like Lati@s, you save before you enter the room and trigger the cutscene.[...]
Then after I capture it, I use this tool: [...]
If the nature/ivs aren't what i want, I soft reset and do it all again.
Many thanks... Still a time consuming process, since you have to capture the legendary at each reset, but at least you don't have to replay the whole game! Good to know...

Max IV can be brought hacked from the old games, but even 1 point over the limit of EVs and the game will block the transfer.
I know... I discovered hacked games when searching online if I could find a Fire Red / Green Leaf cart (I miss this game, and I want to be able to fill the dex one day)

After some research, I didn't want to spend dozen of hours to improve IV/EV (that's really a painful system if you don't have a lot of spare time) just to face people that got them the easy way...

I love PokeGAF <3

I also love this game. There are lots of little elements in the presentation that give it a huge boost over X/Y, and the colors seem far more vibrant.

I really liked reading the main town sign in the first two towns - the camera panned back and gave a nice overhead view of the area. But when I got to Rustboro last night, it didn't happen... why would they only have that for certain areas?

I was also pretty drunk while playing it last night though, so maybe I somehow missed it.

MattyG

Banned
Yeah, I just read about IV/EV training (when I asked about it, i still want positive what the process was) and it sounds really complicared. I'm not sure if I'm even going to bother with it, I'd rather just go for completion of the Pokedex than online battles.

Is IV/EV something you have to start from a low level? Do you constantly need to monitor it? Do you do it on starters and legendaries too, or low level wilds?

Is IV/EV something you have to start from a low level? Do you constantly need to monitor it? Do you do it on starters and legendaries too, or low level wilds?

1 - Nowadays with the Super Training you can do it at any level, since it made possible for you to reset the EV value (the one that you can actually change via killing pokemons or items like protein, carbos, etc, unlike IV). To reset it you need a Reset Bag, and to get one you need to keep hitting the bag, and eventually it will appear (at least that's what I did to get mine).

2 - If you use items / kill pokemons and max your EV training in one session, you don't need to worry about it anymore. If you plan on doing it during many sessions, it is best for you to turn off Exp Share or put the pokemon that you're training on the box, if you're not doing it killing hordes of pokemon.

3 - You should do it on those pokemons that you think you might want to use in battle.

EDIT: Forgot about breeding for better pokemons.

Huh?

Neo Member
This is a completely untechnical post, but did they give Team Magma and Team Aqua more varied teams? Or do they still have about four evolutionary chains of Pokemon? Also, do the gym leaders have rematches?

Wanace

Yeah, I just read about IV/EV training (when I asked about it, i still want positive what the process was) and it sounds really complicared. I'm not sure if I'm even going to bother with it, I'd rather just go for completion of the Pokedex than online battles.

It's not as complicated as it seems. I never worry about it during the main game (except this time because I want to capture legendaries with good IVs.)

For regular pokemon, you can breed them with good IVs, which makes it easier. Since you can't control the EVs you earn during the main quest (outside of super training), it's really pointless to EV train until postgame.

There are berries pokemon can eat to "delete" their earned EVs.

You can use super training to get your EVs pretty quickly too, eat vitamins, and attach items to your pokemon to increase the speed at which they earn EVs. Once you've got it down, it takes a matter of minutes to EV train your pokemon.

Grexeno

Yep. Really messed with my plans since I wanted Aron and Mawile in my party. I don't follow GameFreak's logic at all on limiting early Pokemon availability.

They didn't bother to scale the levels for Granite Cave either, so all the wild Pokemon will be around level 10.
Oh fuck off Game Freak

Azuran

Banned

Nah, don't worry about IV/EV until you beat the game. It looks complicated, but it's actually pretty simple once you start doing it. With enough knowledge, you can start hatching perfect IV pokemon in only 20 mins. It's hard to explain, but when it clicks, you'll be addictive like all of us major breeders.

Anyways, IVs can't be changed, and EVs are easy to keep track with Super Training.

MattyG

Banned
1 - Nowadays with the Super Training you can do it at any level, since it made possible for you to reset the EV value (the one that you can actually change via killing pokemons or items like protein, carbos, etc, unlike IV). To reset it you need a Reset Bag, and to get one you need to keep hitting the bag, and eventually it will appear (at least that's what I did to get mine).

2 - If you use items / kill pokemons and max your EV training in one session, you don't need to worry about it anymore. If you plan on doing it during many sessions, it is best for you to turn off Exp Share or put the pokemon that you're training on the box, if you're not doing it killing hordes of pokemon.

3 - You should do it on those pokemons that you think you might want to use in battle.

EDIT: Forgot about breeding for better pokemons.

It's not as complicated as it seems. I never worry about it during the main game (except this time because I want to capture legendaries with good IVs.)

For regular pokemon, you can breed them with good IVs, which makes it easier. Since you can't control the EVs you earn during the main quest (outside of super training), it's really pointless to EV train until postgame.

There are berries pokemon can eat to "delete" their earned EVs.

You can use super training to get your EVs pretty quickly too, eat vitamins, and attach items to your pokemon to increase the speed at which they earn EVs. Once you've got it down, it takes a matter of minutes to EV train your pokemon.

Nah, don't worry about IV/EV until you beat the game. IVs can't be changed, and EVs are easy to keep track with Super Training.
Oh awesome! So I can jut play the main quest normally and do all of this afterwards? I was thinking I'd have to worry about my starters and legendaries stats and stuff, but I guess not. Good, I guess I'll give it a shot after the Episode Delta or whatever it's called! Thanks for the info!

Azuran

Banned
Oh awesome! So I can jut play the main quest normally and do all of this afterwards? I was thinking I'd have to worry about my starters and legendaries stats and stuff, but I guess not. Good, I guess I'll give it a shot after the Episode Delta or whatever it's called! Thanks for the info!

They also encourage you to finish the game first otherwise you won't have access to the IV Judge, which makes things a hell lot simpler for everyone.

Tip: starters with the right abilities and egg moves are such in the pain in the ass to breed. Don't start with those :p

Velcro Fly

Sucks because I've never used Aron and that line and was going to this time around.

What I'll do is just catch one and breed it and hatch the egg in my OR game and use it like that.

MattyG

Banned
They also encourage you to finish the game first otherwise you won't have access to the IV Judge, which makes things a hell lot simpler for everyone.

Tip: starters with the right abilities and egg moves are such in the pain in the ass to breed. Don't start with those :p
Ah ok. Is it generally best to just use more common (not necessarily common in rarity, but commonn jn that theres more than one) wild pokemon than starters and legendaries then?

ivysaur12

Banned
Currently trying to raise Aron to be at the same level as my guys pre-Mauville gym (he's 13 right now, everyone else is between 20-22, no EXP Share). Ugh.

Grexeno

I highly recommend catching a Zigzagoon. My Cut, Surf, Strength and Rock Smash slave. So good. Didn't have waste a slot on my Swampert on Surf :D
Nope. Just need it until I get a Pokemon that can learn Cut. I despise using HM Slaves, and I always put all the HM moves on my regular team.

Dad

Currently trying to raise Aron to be at the same level as my guys pre-Mauville gym (he's 13 right now, everyone else is between 20-22, no EXP Share). Ugh.

I caved and used the EXP share to get Aron and Mawile up to speed. But now the difficulty curve is fucked.

Alright, I think I'm ready for the first Gym, just evolved my Froakie to Frogadier, my Mudkip to Marshtomp, my Treecko to Grovyle and my Torchic to Combusken.

And now none of them obey me except for Combusken. FFS.

So how good is the Shiny Beldum? I wanna use it on my team but if it breaks the game then eh.

I'm using my own shiny Beldum, with only Take Down as a move until level 20. So, uh, yeah.

Busaiku

Ugh, so much time wasted trying to get stuff with an Old Rod, when I actually can't...
Forgot about older games with the Rod tiers..

Koren

Oh awesome! So I can jut play the main quest normally and do all of this afterwards?
Yes, definitively, except for pokemon that don't breed (that includes legendaries, since the random number generator will only be run once for the IVs, but you can use the reset trick we were talking about)

I agree that EVs are definitively not an issue.

Breeding for special moves that aren't normally available for a pokemon, or specific natures, isn't either difficult, although a bit longer in some cases.

The real problem, to me, is IVs (or hidden forces). Pokemon inherit a part of their parents IV / natures, and the rest is random. The process is not overly complex, but it's REALLY time consuming, especially since you can't check the IV directly (and guessing them with some precision require the pokemon to reach a pretty high level)

I'd like to know how many eggs people with perfect IVs pokemon have hatched. I'm not sure I want to invest so much time in it...

OH GOOD HE'S AT LEVEL 15 NOW. C'MON ARON. I ONLY HAVE SO MANY HOURS IN MY LIFE BEFORE I HEAD OFF TO THE VOID THAT IS DEATH.

Leveling up is not that tedious. I forced myself to get my whole starting team with complete EV training before even reaching Rustboro. I was this close to pulling my hair out.

I really do think we'll probably end up with a thread just dealing with secret bases. This feature alone I can see myself spending hours upon hours on.

Joqu

Yes, definitively, except for pokemon that don't breed (that includes legendaries, since the random number generator will only be run once for the IVs, but you can use the reset trick we were talking about)

I agree that EVs are definitively not an issue.

Breeding for special moves that aren't normally available for a pokemon, or specific natures, isn't either difficult, although a bit longer in some cases.

The real problem, to me, is IVs (or hidden forces). Pokemon inherit a part of their parents IV / natures, and the rest is random. The process is not overly complex, but it's REALLY time consuming, especially since you can't check the IV directly (and guessing them with some precision require the pokemon to reach a pretty high level)

I'd like to know how many eggs people with perfect IVs pokemon have hatched. I'm not sure I want to invest so much time in it...

20 eggs a mon for a 5IV one tends to do the trick for me, 6IV is trickier though since one stat will always be random. (Keep in mind this is with a healthy pool of 4IV+ parent pokemon I bred in XY.) I still think it's real easy with a destiny knot though.

Also you don't need to guess the IVs you know, we've got the stats judge for that.

Finally in Rustboro, time to visit all the houses.

"Don't mind me, I'm just searching for items."

5171209_orig.gif

NEO0MJ

Man Sceptile learns no special moves at all. Why did I pick him.

Yeah, after looking it up online its spacial move-pool is pretty limited. The only useful moves you have access to are Giga Drain/Energy Ball/Leaf Storm/Focus Blast/Dragon Pulse/Hidden Power. For something with such titanic Spacial Attack those are some pretty terrible options. Pidgeot is even more limited.

Koren

20 eggs a mon for a 5IV one tends to do the trick for me, 6IV is trickier though since one stat will always be random. (Keep in mind this is with a healthy pool of 4IV+ parent pokemon I bred in XY.)
I'd say that's the trick...

I began building thins kind of pool in black, but it's a lot of work... Once you have a lot of 4IV+ parents, I guess things are getting easier, no doubt.

Also you don't need to guess the IVs you know, we've got the stats judge for that.
I guess you can quickly reject bad newborns, but as you come closer to perfect IVs, aren't all of them "outstanding"?

Top Bottom