• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hmm, if they made a special case for Nidorina/queen (seriously, this was a bug in gen 2, why is this still a thing nowadays) and also the babies, that would ban...
The Sheer Cold spammers (Articuno, Suicune)
Zapdos
Raikou
Entei
The Regis (sadly)
Lati@s
Heatran
Cress
Terrakion
Genies of Fair and Balanced Meta

I love it, place those rules onto Battle Spot Singles as well and I can see the game becoming a lot more fun.

That'd be a lot more fun.

Sandfox

A YouTuber is tryin to cause drama for video hits like h has multiple time in the past and idiots who never learn are giving him attention by tweeting and posting about it.

People should just ignore that guy because he doesn't deserve the attention. Dude has been full of himself for years and I will never side with him on an argument.

Theorymon

Oh, what happened this time?

AFAIK Wolfe and Verlisify got into a spat on twitter over clones and "legal" hacks (basically hacks that look the same as the real thing).

Sorta unrelated, but I remember watching Verlisify's strategy stuff on youtube and man... I don't think he really knew what he was talking about x_x.

Hmm, if they made a special case for Nidorina/queen (seriously, this was a bug in gen 2, why is this still a thing nowadays) and also the babies, that would ban...
The Sheer Cold spammers (Articuno, Suicune)
Zapdos
Raikou
Entei
The Regis (sadly)
Lati@s
Heatran
Cress
Terrakion
Genies of Fair and Balanced Meta

I love it, place those rules onto Battle Spot Singles as well and I can see the game becoming a lot more fun.

I think this would have more consequences than you think. In Battle Spot Singles, Cresselia and Suicune are basically life savers against really dangerous stuff like Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Salamence. I'd argue that a lot of these legendaries such as Entei and Mega Latias bring something interesting into Battle Spot Singles, and also note that Sheer Cold Suicune isn't usable in ORAS because of the pentagon rule.

I think the best solution is to just revamp the horrible IV system, but otherwise, I think gamefreak should at least give legendaries like 5 flawless IVs if they aren't gonna change it. I mean they're legendary right? Why not have legendary stats!

Sandfox

AFAIK Wolfe and Verlisify got into a spat on twitter over clones and "legal" hacks (basically hacks that look the same as the real thing).

Sorta unrelated, but I remember watching Verlisify's strategy stuff on youtube and man... I don't think he really knew what he was talking about x_x.
He doesn't, but thinks everyone else is beneath him.

A YouTuber is tryin to cause drama for video hits like h has multiple time in the past and idiots who never learn are giving him attention by tweeting and posting about it.
*Sees if Verlisify has uploaded anything*

"VGCHEATING! Why Rule-breaking SHOULD BE PUNISHED"

...I am so not clicking this shit. My intelligence would probably drop.

Why watch that video when you can watch his amazing advice videos where he says Giratina-O and Zygarde are the new 2016 meta.

Sandfox

Ideally Kanga will get nerfed, but even then there are other options to get around it.

You should look at the title for his other video on the subject. That and some quick things I read paint a pretty vivid story.

You should look at the title for his other video on the subject. That and some quick things I read paint a pretty vivid story.
"Verlisify Goes FULL Trihard and DESTROYS Pokémon Cheating Filth"

I don't like hacked mons either but holy shit Verlisify calm the fuck dow-

"ITS NOT CLICKBAIT!"

...Oh so it's just clickbait. Good to know. ^_^

Sandfox

"Verlisify Goes FULL Trihard and DESTROYS Pokémon Cheating Filth"

I don't like hacked mons either but holy shit Verlisify calm the fuck dow-

"ITS NOT CLICKBAIT!"

...Oh so it's just clickbait. Good to know. ^_^
And then he apparently goes on to call the people who don't agree with him dumb and disgusting.

Theorymon

Sure there are other ways around Mega Kangaskhan Sandfox (and some interesting ones too, like bulky Serperior), but really my main point that I was trying to make is that removing a bunch of fun, interesting, and very unique Pokemon just to step around the IV system seems like a terrible compromise to me. I think its better to recognize that the current IV system is doing more harm than good to competitive play than to make even MORE concessions to make it stay alive imo!

Sandfox

Sure there are other ways around Mega Kangaskhan Sandfox (and some interesting ones too, like bulky Serperior), but really my main point that I was trying to make is that removing a bunch of fun, interesting, and very unique Pokemon just to step around the IV system seems like a terrible compromise to me. I think its better to recognize that the current IV system is doing more harm than good to competitive play than to make even MORE concessions to make it stay alive imo!
Even ignoring things like IVs I think VGC would benefit from restricting legendaries.

Theorymon

Even ignoring things like IVs I think VGC would benefit from restricting legendaries.

Now VGC is a different story for me. I don't mind VGC implementing weird new rules like that. As far as I'm concerned, since VGC changes its ruleset so much, I don't mind if they have more exotic stuff like "Ubers are allowed (yes I dont mind that rule this year lol)", or Dark Void being banned, or even legendaries being banned! Heck, I've joked before that VGC should try Little Cup Doubles as their next metagame, yet I'd actually be totally game to play that!

However with the Battle Spot metagames, those are built to last a lot longer for lack of a better word. I think one of the funnest parts about competitive Pokemon is watching how much these metagames change as people are forced to deal with whatever gamefreak put out there.

To get back to the Mega Latias example, there was a time in early ORAS Battle Spot Singles were there were a TON of stall teams lurking around the ladder. To counteract this, a japnese player came up with what was at the time considered an utterly bizzare Mega Latias set: Mega Latias with Calm Mind / Psyshock / Roost / Substitute. Yeah, a Mega Latias walled by Hydreigon and unable to OHKO Garchomp, sounds lame right?

Well turns out, the guy who came up with that set actually WON Battle Spot Singles that season (or at least was in the top 3, my memory is failing me a bit). Why was it? Because as it turned out, a lot of stall teams weren't using Tyranitar at the time, letting Mega Latias storm through them! Now a days, a lot of stall teams carry Tyranitar to make sure Mega Latias doesn't sweep them. Latias stands at about.. I want to say #60 in usage as of last season (you can check out the usage stats here http://battlespotstats.com/?game=ORAS&season=15 ), so that's sorta low now a days, but its hard to deny that that spark of creativity led to some interesting changes that were entertaining to watch, and still affect the game today!

Now of course, banning legendaries in all the battle spot metagames wouldn't actually kill the fun process of metagame development, but as legendaries tend to have very unique typings, movepools, and stat spreads, it'd be a real shame to lose out on so many tools that could potentially come out of nowhere and shock the metagame because one smart person had a creative idea!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Now of course, banning legendaries in all the battle spot metagames wouldn't actually kill the fun process of metagame development, but as legendaries tend to have very unique typings, movepools, and stat spreads, it'd be a real shame to lose out on so many tools that could potentially come out of nowhere and shock the metagame because one smart person had a creative idea!

To kind of counter this, a lot of people do tend to lean on the legendaries to counter certain threats. Banning them would force people to get even more creative. Remember when some guy used a freaking Pachirisu? I'd like to see more of that to be honest. Show me something I think is useless actually be useful, that's creativity.

EDIT: Especially in a day when we have megas, there's even more options without turning to legendary pokemon to do the job.

JoeM86

To be fair, he is right in that the rules clearly state that you aren't meant to use hacked Pokémon, even "legal" hacks. I agree with him on that. I'm not going to go mental about it though, I just wish TPCi would make their mind up; either remove the rule or actually enforce it...especially now money is involved, they need to deal with hacking.

But, you all know my stance on hacking :p

In this particular format I think we would just see less people competing if there weren't clones or hacks being thrown around. This is part of the reason why I want non-breedable Pokemon banned from VGC.

We're already seeing less people.

Attendance at UK Nationals was down over 100 on last year.
Attendance at DE Nationals was down around 150 on last year.
US Regionals are also having some low turnouts.

This year's format has kind of put the growth of VGC backwards, which sucks.

Next year should be good though, I know many people who chose not to this year but intend to next year.

To kind of counter this, a lot of people do tend to lean on the legendaries to counter certain threats. Banning them would force people to get even more creative. Remember when some guy used a freaking Pachirisu? I'd like to see more of that to be honest. Show me something I think is useless actually be useful, that's creativity.

EDIT: Especially in a day when we have megas, there's even more options without turning to legendary pokemon to do the job.

VGC14 was a very fun format. I had some great creations out of that. VGC15 even allowed for a lot of creativity, even at high level. CHALK was a pain, sure, but not unbeatable. It didn't control the meta like Primals do in VGC16

VGC17 is going to be great though, at least I hope so. All depends on the size of the Alola Pokédex, whether they have things like Kangaskhan in, and if they did nerf Parental Bond like was implied to be on the cards a couple of years back

Sandfox

To be fair, he is right in that the rules clearly state that you aren't meant to use hacked Pokémon, even "legal" hacks. I agree with him on that. I'm not going to go mental about it though, I just wish TPCi would make their mind up; either remove the rule or actually enforce it...especially now money is involved, they need to deal with hacking.

But, you all know my stance on hacking :p

We're already seeing less people.

Attendance at UK Nationals was down over 100 on last year.
Attendance at DE Nationals was down around 150 on last year.
US Regionals are also having some low turnouts.

This year's format has kind of put the growth of VGC backwards, which sucks.

Next year should be good though, I know many people who chose not to this year but intend to next year.

VGC14 was a very fun format. I had some great creations out of that. VGC15 even allowed for a lot of creativity, even at high level. CHALK was a pain, sure, but not unbeatable. It didn't control the meta like Primals do in VGC16

The people handling the events are TGC people, which is where the real money is for TPC, and it shows.I also don't see how they could possibly catch people unless they make a mistake hacking. Next year there should be growth due to a new generation and the fact that the community seems to be taking steps forward.

I actually like this year's format more than last year's for the most part in terms of the metagame. Primals are everywhere, but I like the different cores people are using them in.

JoeM86

The people handling the events are TGC people, which is where the real money is for TPC, and it shows.I also don't see how they could possibly catch people unless they make a mistake hacking. Next year there should be growth due to a new generation and the fact that the community seems to be taking steps forward.

I actually like this year's format more than last year's for the most part in terms of the metagame. Primals are everywhere, but I like the different cores people are using them in.

Yeah, I too don't know how they could deal with it. It does suck. There are bound to be ways though, their hack check just sucks and lets even obvious crap pass.

For example, in UK Nationals this year, a person accidentally made an error hacking their Kyogre. They gave it Water Sport instead of Water Spout. It got through the initial hack check that runs when your battle box is locked. Same with last year. There are hidden ways to check too; PIDs being different to the data for example, but it just lets things through still. They can do a better job with what they have, and there are numerous people with the expertise that can code a far more competent hack check into the system, they just don't get to do it :/

I do hope it does grow again next year, but I think the growth may just be taking it back to where it was in 2014/2015 from where it is now.

JoeM86

15 Japanese guys got boned out of their Worlds invites because they were caught cheating so I think they might finally be trying to do more.

Yeah, that's a positive sign :)

As I said, now that actual money is on the line, they need to do a better job of enforcing the rules they put in.

If they really wanted to combat the hacking, I can guarantee they would catch a lot of people if they started checking the trash bytes in the names of the Pokemon. When I used to use Pokecheck daily (RIP) that was always the thing that would trip people up, so many people wouldn't edit those bytes from the original species of the Pokemon they replaced. Also, checking the trash bytes in the OT name, some weirdness surrounding the PID, and the met/hatched location data would do wonders in this new hack check. Some stuff would still get through, though. As long as the games aren't always online or an associate of Game Freak isn't hovering over the shoulders of everyone who buys a game, there is no way to 100% stop hacking.

There's also further simplifying the methods of getting competitive-level Pokemon, that helps too (outside of the legendaries with Hidden Power).

I actually kind of like VGC 2016, but the hurdle is just way too high. I'm happy ORAS made it easier to get restricted legendaries, but Gen 7 really needs to make it easier to get good restricted legendaries (and events).

I mean, I was considering competing for fun, but I literally could not SR a decent Rayquaza in time. I don't think using my flawless Zygarde as a replacement would've been a good idea either : P

Dak'kon

Just realised I still have two PAL Mew codes and they expire tomorrow. If there is anyone who can redeem PAL codes would like one then let me know!

JoeM86

2016 International Challenge June
Cjw4cZrUgAImPC-.jpg

Region: International
Registration Period: June 16th 2016 - June 23rd 2016
Battle Period: June 24th 2016 - June 26th 2016
Battle Type: Double Battle
Battle Limits: 15 Battles per day
Pokémon Restrictions: National Pokédex.
Pokémon Limits: Teams may have no more than two of the following Pokémon: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.
Banned Pokémon: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion. Pokémon not captured or hatched in X, Y, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
Entry Gift: 2000 PokéMiles

Muku

If anyone is interested I have x2 Shiny Ditto (6IV) as well as a Darkrai code. Just let me know.

Edit: God. Damn. These. Manaphy.

NEO0MJ

Found out recently that you can finally get Adaptability Daragalge in this game. Just finished breeding a Skrelp and was wondering what's the fastest way to EV train it?

Edit: I wonder if I should have also bred Acid Armor onto it in addition to Toxic Spikes and Haze.

turbocat

Kyurem shiny down! Synch worked, so it's Timid with x/31/x/x/31/31. Not great, but I'll take it!

I think this one went on for...maybe more in the neighborhood of 600-800 SRs. I don't keep perfect count.

Andrefpvs

I qualified for the rankings (4 matches played), but I can't find a link to Miltank's code anywhere on the Global Link. Normally a notice appears on the main page, but not this time.

Can anyone help?

lupinko

I'm getting back into Pokemon after my semi hiatus.

I want to use my Shiny Impish Pseudo Perfect 4IV Giratina. Because it's Impish it would have to be Altered Forme. I'm not at home right now but the IVs were 31/31/31/x/31/x. Since it's doubles and smash things I just came up with this:

Impish @ Leftovers
Shadow Force STAB
Dragon Claw / Dragon Tail STAB
Stone Edge / Earthquake COVERAGE
Will-o-Wisp / Thunderwave SUPPORT

I really wanted to catch Adamant or the very least a physically geared mixed (shiny) Giratina for Origin Forme but the Arceus RNG gods graced me with that.

Edit: I just realized Dragon Tail could force switchins but is it worth the decreased damage?

Muku

How about that shiny Mewtwo?

Really wish, and I know we're already getting a lot of things this year, it wasn't behind the competition wall. I don't find myself really enjoying that side of the game, so it's frustrating. And normally weekend plays are good, but my weekends are generally working. I guess that is what makes it more frustrating. :(

Faenix1

Got a NA code for Mew, apparently. First to PM me gets it.

How about that shiny Mewtwo?

Really wish, and I know we're already getting a lot of things this year, it wasn't behind the competition wall. I don't find myself really enjoying that side of the game, so it's frustrating. And normally weekend plays are good, but my weekends are generally working. I guess that is what makes it more frustrating. :(

What competition?

I usually only do em if they get me a pokemon I want. lol

Wow, Zygarde 10% and Complete in-game reveal at Taiwan's VGC Nationals.

Trailer 2

Kind of curious how Zygarde Complete works though. Does it only trigger when Zygarde 10% reaches critical health?

EDIT: Kind of wrong thread, but since ORAS is the latest game to have Zygade : P

Faenix1

Can someone tell me what a Play! Pokémon event is?

Trying to navigate the global link site is driving me insane.

Also question: any cons to making mew an HM slave, since it can learn all Hms? Sadly I've yet to beat Omega Ruby but that's cause I'm having issues fitting some HM moves into my party. I'm using a lot of legendaries this go around for kicks and it's making me hesitant to teach them Hms.

Think I'm on the way to Seafloor Cavern and need to teach Dive to someone.

Can someone tell me what a Play! Pokémon event is?

Trying to navigate the global link site is driving me insane.

Also question: any cons to making mew an HM slave, since it can learn all Hms? Sadly I've yet to beat Omega Ruby but that's cause I'm having issues fitting some HM moves into my party. I'm using a lot of legendaries this go around for kicks and it's making me hesitant to teach them Hms.

Think I'm on the way to Seafloor Cavern and need to teach Dive to someone.

Google "Pokemon Trainer Club".

On the sidebar to the left, go to Profile Settings. Check that you've chosen to receive promotional e-mails near the bottom.

Next, go to Play! Pokemon Settings from the sidebar. Make sure you're opted in.

Muku

Here's a question regarding the Play! stuff. More specifically in regards to the Shiny Mewtwo. I'm going to TRY to remember to at least register and play for it, but we'll see how that goes since it all takes place during my work week, ugh.

It says to register, and I assume that means on the website? Also, mentions needing one coin on your account to meet requirement for the email. If you forfeit or just sit through a losing game, will you get that one coin? I don't have any team set up right now and haven't really played in a while. Never enjoyed battles as I'm more of a co-op kind of person. ;_; It's why I enjoy other things in-game instead. But trying to figure this stuff out a little.

Hegarol

Here's a question regarding the Play! stuff. More specifically in regards to the Shiny Mewtwo. I'm going to TRY to remember to at least register and play for it, but we'll see how that goes since it all takes place during my work week, ugh.

It says to register, and I assume that means on the website? Also, mentions needing one coin on your account to meet requirement for the email. If you forfeit or just sit through a losing game, will you get that one coin? I don't have any team set up right now and haven't really played in a while. Never enjoyed battles as I'm more of a co-op kind of person. ;_; It's why I enjoy other things in-game instead. But trying to figure this stuff out a little.
Just register for the Jube competition and forfeit 3 games. Thats it ;)

Just make sure to register for Play coins on Pokemon.com before.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Google "Pokemon Trainer Club".

On the sidebar to the left, go to Profile Settings. Check that you've chosen to receive promotional e-mails near the bottom.

Next, go to Play! Pokemon Settings from the sidebar. Make sure you're opted in.
I just did all of this. What else do I need to do in order to get this cool shiny Mewtwo?

Do they give away promo Pokemon at Nationals? My brother is participating in the TCG Nationals in Columbus and I'm tagging along for the trip, so I was wondering if it was worth bringing my 3DS or not?

Top Bottom