• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

WTF?
w4Qh3xH.png

People complain about Dark Souls being obtuse. It has nothing on everybody's favorite baby game!

lol i'm done resetting that Beldum. I sent it on over to Kalos and got the iv's. Careful nature and 24,25/18,19/20,21/14,15/26/24,25

I have better ones but none are shiny xP

Wouldn't MMing even a 2IV Ditto with a 5IV Metagross give better odds, better results, and take less time than the process you have to go through in order to get and check an untradeable gift Pokemon?

Busaiku

Awesome, I was worried it was something like win a contest, go through cutscene and voila.

Yeah, I was scared that that was it.
But you just have to win the contest once.
Again, I saved in the dressing room, cause I'm scared it'll be locked in the lobby. This only adds like 2/3 seconds, so it's not too bad.

Natures are good and add depth to the competitive side of the game. IVs are the ones that are stupid.

I think that on paper both look good, add variety and that needed "spice" on what would be a stale formula. But then when you actually try to get perfect mons (even though they are much, much much easier nowadays, but it is still a pain to get good legendaries), the boring aspect shows up.

Can't wait until Cosplay Pikachu runs rampant in the meta.

Guys to be honest, the metagame is depressing, until you are 200% all about it. It's very exclusive and cuts out and outright kills 80% of the rest of the game. Jus' have fun. Maybe there will be a casual competitive soon

For now casual-competitive is this: Correct nature, correct EV's, no one gives a shit about IV's. If your nature and your EV's are right, you can beat other players (and their perfect IV's) with better strategy. Don't even worry about IV's if you don't understand strategy. It takes much longer to learn the strategy behind the game than it does to breed, so why not see if you want to play like that before you go through the trouble of breeding/SR'ing

Everyone is trying to live up to top-tier smogon playing, and only 0.0001% of us are actually going to play like that.

There is 0 strategy to the VGC ruleset

HardRojo

I think that on paper both look good, add variety and that needed "spice" on what would be a stale formula. But then when you actually try to get perfect mons (even though they are much, much much easier nowadays, but it is still a pain to get good legendaries), the boring aspect shows up.
I'd be fine with Natures being kept as they are right now, fucking IVs drive me crazy because it's 5 stats you got to take into account rather than just 1. Gamefreak could do away with IVs for all I care, getting a good Nature is much easier. When I see people have to spend hours resetting just to get perfect IVs is when I remember why they are such a stupid addition.

Next gen, you should just get a Pokemon genome adapter to make breeding as easy as possible.

They should do something like, for each 50 eggs with the same parents they remove the lowest number from the roll on IVs.

Example: After egg 50, my next will roll 1-31 for IVs, instead of 0-31.

I'd be fine with Natures being kept as they are right now, fucking IVs drive me crazy because it's 5 stats you got to take into account rather than just 1. Gamefreak could do away with IVs for all I care, getting a good Nature is much easier. When I see people have to spend hours resetting just to get perfect IVs is when I remember why they are such a stupid addition.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that Natures should stay. IVs are a pain in the ass, but even though I hate them and even asked for their removal in the past, I'm more lenient with them.

People complain about Dark Souls being obtuse. It has nothing on everybody's favorite baby game!

Wouldn't MMing even a 2IV Ditto with a 5IV Metagross give better odds, better results, and take less time than the process you have to go through in order to get and check an untradeable gift Pokemon?

Of course it would, I just was blowing through the game too fast so I took time to do this. Like I said I already have better Beldums in X.

I think Gamefreak should make a horror game. It looks like they'd be good at it.

Yeah but it's cool to have them get their creepiness out over decades of pokemon games.... er, uh..

EDit: THIS IS AWESOME. Just when mainstream videogames start to lose their soul... THIS

Koren

They should do something like, for each 50 eggs with the same parents they remove the lowest number from the roll on IVs.

So, if I read you correctly, you want a 0.1% increase in odds to roll a single 31 after 50 eggs?

Or is your idea to get a guaranteed 31 after 1500 eggs?

The second idea seems a bit more appealing, but that's still a whole lot. Beside that, you would need 800 eggs just to go from a 3% chances of a 31 to a mere 6%...

Of course it would, I just was blowing through the game too fast so I took time to do this. Like I said I already have better Beldums in X.

Fair enough. I guess I just hate SRing and what you're doing feels like SR+++ (Start brand new save, redeem gift, play up to the first Pokemon Center, get the Beldum and box it, save, quit, launch Pokebank, wait an eternity for it connect, deposit the Beldum, wait an eternity for to disconnect, wait an eternity to connect again for XY, disconnect, quit, launch XY, check IVs, repeat...).

Sandfox

You should have a perfect pokemon way before you hit 50 eggs unless you're extremely unlucky.

It kinda sucks that even with a respawned Kyogre the SR iteration time is still about two minutes because of the pre-battle animation. I got one I'm willing to settle for though:

Modest - 31/x/23/31/31/31

So, if I read you correctly, you want a 0.1% increase in odds to roll a single 31 after 50 eggs?

Or is your idea to get a guaranteed 31 after 1500 eggs?

The second idea seems a bit more appealing, but that's still a whole lot. Beside that, you would need 800 eggs just to go from a 3% chances of a 31 to a mere 6%...

I was thinking more like 1500-3000 eggs for a perfect one. It would still require effort, but at least it would be guaranteed to be perfect.

You should have a perfect pokemon way before you hit 50 eggs unless you're extremely unlucky.

It took me a lot of boxes with a 6IV ditto and a 5IV parent to get a 6IV pokemon. I lost count after 10k, but even after that I still don't have a full box of 6IV Torchics.

Azuran

Banned
I was thinking more like 1500-3000 eggs for a perfect one. It would still require effort, but at least it would be guaranteed to be perfect.

It took me a lot of boxes with a 6IV ditto and a 5IV parent to get a 6IV pokemon with the nature that I wanted. I lost count after 10k, but even after that I still don't have a full box of 6IV Torchics.

Holy shit, that's why you always breed for natures first. 10k sounds ridiculous.

Sandfox

It took me a lot of boxes with a 6IV ditto and a 5IV parent to get a 6IV pokemon with the nature that I wanted. I lost count after 10k, but even after that I still don't have a full box of 6IV Torchics.

I was thinking 5 ivs for some reason lol. You have a 1 in 200 chances of getting a perfect Pokemon so that would take a while. Very few pokemon need 6 ivs and most people don't need a box full so I think the current system is decent enough. They'll probably make it even easier next gen though.

Holy shit, that's why you always breed for natures first. 10k sounds ridiculous.

I've bred boxes of 5IV perfect competitive Pokemon and I don't think I've hatched 10K eggs TOTAL. Then again, there was a period of time I did the Battle Institute Check/SR trick, but once I got a 6IV Ditto, I got lazy and preferred to mindlessly hatch a bunch of eggs while watching TV.

The very first thing you do when breeding a mon is breed it with a Ditto of the right nature. Very first. Always.

Well, at least you learned that now, even if it was the hard way...

But I bred for natures first, the last 31 stat is what took me a while. I made that sentence wrong, fixed it now.

I was thinking 5 ivs for some reason lol. You have a 1 in 200 chances of getting a perfect Pokemon so that would take a while. Very few pokemon need 6 ivs and most people don't need a box full so I think the current system is decent enough. They'll probably make it even easier next gen though.

I understand your point of view, and I just mentioned the not-complete box as a metric, I was actually going for a shiny Torchic.

The very first thing you do when breeding a mon is breed it with a Ditto of the right nature. Very first. Always.

Well, at least you learned that now, even if it was the hard way...

I wrote that down wrong, fixed it now. The problem was the last 31 stat.

Namikaze1

I will capture you, Kyogre. I will capture you even if it takes me all 90 of my Ultra Balls!

Edit: the moment I made this post, I captured him. Coincidence? I think not!

I wrote that down wrong, fixed it now. The problem was the last 31 stat.
With a 6IV Ditto and a 5IV parent, the chance of getting a 6IV mon is, let's see...

First there's a 5/12 chance of the bad IV being picked, so 7/12 babies will inherit 5 perfect IVs. Then there's the 1/32 chance of getting that last one from there. So 7/384 chance of getting a perfect, or just a bit under 1/50 odds.

No offense but your luck is ass.

With a 6IV Ditto and a 5IV parent, the chance of getting a 6IV mon is, let's see...

First there's a 5/12 chance of the bad IV being picked, so 7/12 babies will inherit 5 perfect IVs. Then there's the 1/32 chance of getting that last one from there. So 7/384 chance of getting a perfect, or just a bit under 1/50 odds.

No offense but your luck is ass.

I know. I'm not saying that it took 10k to get one with 6IVs, no, what I've said is that with around that number of eggs I still had less than a full box of 6IVs.

Vena

If anyone needs evo stones but doesn't want to bother with balloons, let me know in here or in a PM, I can send you whatever stone you want as I now have way to many.

Why did I grind out twenty dawn stones again?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Guys to be honest, the metagame is depressing, until you are 200% all about it. It's very exclusive and cuts out and outright kills 80% of the rest of the game. Jus' have fun. Maybe there will be a casual competitive soon

For now casual-competitive is this: Correct nature, correct EV's, no one gives a shit about IV's. If your nature and your EV's are right, you can beat other players (and their perfect IV's) with better strategy. Don't even worry about IV's if you don't understand strategy. It takes much longer to learn the strategy behind the game than it does to breed, so why not see if you want to play like that before you go through the trouble of breeding/SR'ing

Everyone is trying to live up to top-tier smogon playing, and only 0.0001% of us are actually going to play like that.

There is 0 strategy to the VGC ruleset

This is why VGC rules are better, you can use anything and it could actually work.

Panzon

With the way gamefreak operates, I strongly suspect that was the case. Shoddy game design to have to reset 50+ times just to get a nature for the starting pokemon that isn't counter-productive.

There are quite literally so many better ways to implement that feature into the game but leave it to gamefreak to choose one of the worst.
Natures and EVs are fine. The head scratchers though are neutral natures like quirky, docile, etc. But the real villain in IVs.

10k eggs I don't even...

I was depressed that I couldn't catch a Seviper in OR, so I switched over to Y and bred a perfect one in like 20 mins.

Breeding for IVs is easy now, but still difficult enough to make it rewarding. If they got rid of IVs, I'd have a perfect Pokemon after hatching one egg (breed *insert species here* with a Ditto of the desired nature - done). That's lame.

I can understand the pain of soft resetters but... just don't do it?

Top Bottom