• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

javadoze

I don't have the game yet, but here are some questions:

-Are the requirements for the Reggies the same as in RSE?

-Is Mirage Island still in the game? And if so, is there anything different about it?

BDrummer1606

Neo Member
Does anyone find this game much better than X/Y? Sapphire was my very first pokemon game and fell in love with it as a kid, and replaying through this remake gives me a ton of joy. I just could not get through X/Y last year even though I've played and beaten every mainline pokemon since sapphire.

So whats the postgame like here?

Not terribly different from XY. There are a lot of Legend hunts at least.

Does anyone find this game much better than X/Y? Sapphire was my very first pokemon game and fell in love with it as a kid, and replaying through this remake gives me a ton of joy. I just could not get through X/Y last year even though I've played and beaten every mainline pokemon since sapphire.

Playing through ORAS really highlighted to me why I disliked Kalos, that place had terrible pacing and felt fairly bland.

DNAbro

I just like everything better about this game. The music and world and story is much better than anything offered in Kalos.

BDrummer1606

Neo Member
I just like everything better about this game. The music and world and story is much better than anything offered in Kalos.

Maybe it was the story? Seemed to have a terrible plot, but seemed to stretch it with your four friends talking to you all the time.

In this one though, the story is there, but not very pushy and just lets you go do whatever after the initial plot stuff in the beginning.

Amani

Just got the game last night, decided to go with AS since I had Ruby as a kid. For this playthrough, I'm going to use pokemon outside my comfort zone (like, not going with psychic or dragon types for instance). This might be the first time I've used a Pigeot since Yellow.

BTW, I want to grab a Magnezone later on, anyone know where the electric rock is? (That's not a spoiler is it?)

X/Y has terrible pacing. The gap between the first and second gym was huge for no reason.

EDIT: For Magnezone
I heard it was in Mauville

Well so far the graphics are, as expected, polished up and perfected upon the XY formula. But I am only 3 hours in. X/Y, I thought, was the most enjoyable game since Gen II (or, I guess, HG/SS). Never really enjoyed RSE too much at the time, but willing to give it a second chance!

Amani

X/Y has terrible pacing. The gap between the first and second gym was huge for no reason.

Perfect, thanks.

And I have to agree with everyone, this game's already better than X/Y, and I didn't care for the originals back in the day. This music is godly at the very least.

Avixph

-Are the requirements for the Reggies the same as in RSE?
Yes the requirements for getting the Regi are still the same but now you are able to capture Regigigas and this is how:
Serebii.net said:
#486 Regigigas

Once you have the three Regis, you can unlock Regirock, Regice and Registeel. The method to get this is rather complicated. In Pacifidlog Town, in the north-eastern house, a girl will tell you stories her grandfather told her. At random, she will tell you a part of the story about how to get Regigigas. This involves location and the other features. Take all three of the Pokémon to the Island Cave, and make Regice hold a frozen item such as CasteliaCone, Snowball or Never-Melt Ice, and have Regice have a nickname, and Regigigas will challenge you

-Is Mirage Island still in the game? And if so, is there anything different about it?

Yes the Mirage Island(s) is still in the game, here is some info of what has changed:

Serebii.net said:
Mirage Islands
Once a day, you will find a random island on the outskirts of the Hoenn Region. These islands are relatively small but can be seen due to a distinctive red shine above them. These are the Mirage Islands. There are four different varieties: Mirage Island, Mirage Cave, Mirage Forest and Mirage Moutain, each with different attributes, and each island in each variety is different. As each day passes, one island disappears and the next island re-appears

When you get to the island, you will find one or two items, with some rare items such as the Deep Sea Tooth being hidden with the Dowsing Machine. Some islands also house TMs for you to find. In addition to that, many of them hold a variety of wild Pokémon, most of which are not readily available in the Hoenn region making them the only place you can get them.

Another aspect of this that these islands use the StreetPass feature. If you have seen the island for the day and you then StreetPass another player, that player will then be able to see and land on that particular island and you will be able to see and land on the one they have, in addition to the one you have as standard.

CassSept

On my way to the first gym and I already know I like this better than Y
because Hoenn is an infinitely better region with better pacing and music and wild Pokémon

I was with you til you said wild Pokemon. X/Y has the best roster of available Pokemon to capture in the series and it's like not even a competition. Damn near every route and cave had different, varied Pokemon... none of this Zigzagoon and Wurmple for five routes in a row shiz

Yeah and objectively Hoenn has the worst wild Pokemon selection in the series D:

The balance is really off and heck, to this day it boggles my mind that there were more dragon Pokemon introduced than fire.

Hatchtag

Banned
Just got to the fourth gym. Games better than X and Y, but probably behind every other main series entry so far imo. Shame too, because Emerald is my favorite game in the series, but this remake just isn't doing it for me. Way too many negative changes and too few positive ones.

spiritfox

Actually it's NEW Mauville. The actual place doesn't unlock till the 8th badge but you can go in the entrance and fight mons there. Or just use a Rare Candy.

Actually it's NEW Mauville. The actual place doesn't unlock till the 8th badge but you can go in the entrance and fight mons there. Or just use a Rare Candy.
Ah fair enough. Didn't know about that. :p
I have a question, how early can I get a Magnemite in the game? I'm planning on using one in my playthrough
If it's anything like RSE you need Surf, but someone with the game will help you out.

31/15/31/22/31/25 Modest on my first Kyogre. Tempted to keep since that post capture event is pretty long...

And after soft resetting, I guess you can't skip the pre-encounter scene like you could with Xerneas/Yvetal... great...

I have a question, how early can I get a Magnemite in the game? I'm planning on using one in my playthrough

You can get one in a horde pretty early. I think it's the route that goes under cycling road.

Yeah and objectively Hoenn has the worst wild Pokemon selection in the series D:

The balance is really off and heck, to this day it boggles my mind that there were more dragon Pokemon introduced than fire.

Diamond and Pearl had far worse distribution than Ruby and Sapphire did. The only Fire type Pokémon found in the wild was the Ponyta line.

Diamond and Pearl had far worse distribution than Ruby and Sapphire did. The only Fire type Pokémon found in the wild was the Ponyta line.

2 gym leaders and one E4 member basically had to use multiype teams since there weren't enough Pokemon to match their assigned types. Sinnoh is the only region that had to have its regional dex revised midway through the gen.

I actually kind of liked that the gym leaders used varied types in Sinnoh but it was pretty ridiculous.

Super variety like Volkner using an Octillery and an Ambipom cause Gamefreak couldn't be assed to add enough Electric Pokemon to DP.

DP's Pokedex was downright terrible.

brinstar

Super variety like Volkner using an Octillery and an Ambipom cause Gamefreak couldn't be assed to add enough Electric Pokemon to DP.

DP's Pokedex was downright terrible.

I don't disagree that it was terrible but I did like that I couldn't just roll into the gym with a ground-type and win with my eyes closed I guess

Caladrius

I really, really hope they retain most of Platinum's changes.

I love Gen 4 (Platinum is my all-time favorite Pokemon game) and its pokemon to death but some of the design decisions in D/P were downright atrocious.

Who the fuck honestly thought locking half the new pokemon to postgame was a good idea.

cafemomo

DPPt remakes will be in that one pokemon universe where it will have RBGY's battle mechanics, GSC's level curve & XY's handholding

ffdgh

I really, really hope they retain most of Platinum's changes.

I love Gen 4 (Platinum is my all-time favorite Pokemon game) and its pokemon to death but some of the design decisions in D/P were downright atrocious.

Who the fuck honestly thought locking half the new pokemon to postgame was a good idea.

Don't forget the surf walking speed! :D

Azuran

Banned
I'm going just as slow as you. I also only have 3 badges. I probably would have my fourth by now, but I spent over an hour on route 110 looking for a Minun.

That's me as well but I'm even more insane. I spent like 5 hours on 110 leveling my search level so I could get an Electrike with Flame Burst. Why? I have no idea.

I didn't get him

Top Bottom