• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

I'd like another Kalos game too, but I hope that instead of going to Kiloude for the battle Maison, we take a ship to the Battle Resort with a finished battle frontier.

uXwUn62.gif

cafemomo

I know it won't happen but a pkmn yellow remake..that would make me so happy

Yellow was my first Pokemon game and I would be lying if I said I didn't want to see a remake of that happening.

But showing Kanto in 3D will only show how empty that region really is and not even muh nostalgia would probably save it

It's crazy that one city is essentially a mall now, but there aren't clothing stores for people to buy clothes and customize themselves in.

Because it's integrated into the map module on the lower screen. Tap it to bring up the map, choose "trainers" and it'll tell you what trainers on each route are ready to battle you again. It also shows an icon on the top of the map if you're in an area with battle ready trainers.

That's not the same though. You now have to wait for them to be ready to battle you instead of just being able to rock up wherever you fancy and battle anyone again.

Azuran

Banned
I'd like another Kalos game too, but I hope that instead of going to Kiloude for the battle Maison, we take a ship to the Battle Resort with a finished battle frontier.

Does this mean our Pokemon would canon wise literally travel through time when transferring stuff? Pokemon canon is getting weird as hell guys.

I won't be long before they pull a FE and everything goes wrong.

Not surprised given they just ripped the movesets from the Battle Subway in Gen 5 for all the older Pokémon in XY as well. Game Freak has really just been phoning it in with some of their stuff :(

Being from the UK I haven't got the game yet but I have to admit there's just something about these remakes that I'm all a bit 'meh' about and I can't put my finger on it.
And just to make it clear, I am a HUGE Pokemon fanatic, owning every game from RBY right through to XY and the only one that had a minimum amount of hype for me was Platinum (although a week before launch I remember being hyped as usual).

And being a great lover of gen 3 in general (way before all the hoenn trumpet circle-jerking began) I don't know why I'm not feeling the hype and I think you've nailed it, it's Game Freak. The laziness is really starting to affect my hype for the games.

X and Y were great, but the post-game was shit and the difficulty was a joke, I blasted through the game with EXP all turned off AND was rotating a party of 12 rather than 6.

For me, Black 2, White 2 and HGSS were the highs of the series, in ORAS there just seems to be weird omissions that are bugging me. I don't care customisation is gone, in fact I'm glad it's gone, as these are a retelling of Gen 3 and it would be weird running round as someone other than Brendan or May. But it's just simple stuff like re-battling gym leaders, not this Battle Maison crap. Platinum and HGSS had it perfect, on certain days the Gym Leaders appear in a hangout and you can battle them, perfect. And what happened to B2W2's difficulty settings? (which was executed bizarrely the first time around). And Seasons? And the PWT/Battle Frontier?

OR this could all be a combination of me playing through 13 games (with multiple playthroughs) and feeling a bit burned out on Pokemon and the fact the Smash Wii U is coming out the same day and as that series is only once every 6 years I'm more excited for that rather than the yearly instalment that is now Pokemon.

That all said, I'm sure I'll be excited come Friday and staying up all night playing it.

Wanace

So obsessed with DexNav, got Carvanha SL up to 232 and my Sceptile is at Lv. 46.

o_O What is the benefit of having such a high DexNav level?

I have to admit I haven't fooled with it at all since I had a living pokedex in the Pokebank and was just rushing through the game so I could do postgame stuff.

Azuran

Banned
o_O What is the benefit of having such a high DexNav level?

I have to admit I haven't fooled with it at all since I had a living pokedex in the Pokebank and was just rushing through the game so I could do postgame stuff.

Higher chances of pokemon having perfect IVs, egg moves, and hidden abilities.

"Quickly, get this pokemon and come with me to stop the "you" from the future!"

The bad team would be searching you instead of pokemons. Bad you from the future learns that only the past him (you, the player) could stop his plans, so he creates a task force to capture you and bring it to him.

PS: Alternate timelines so it doesn't happen what happened in BTTF.

TheBear

Ok, I've put a few hours into Omega Ruby now, and at the age of 30 I've decided that I quite enjoy Pokemon. At one point in my life I probably would've been embarrassed to play Pokemon in public but these days I don't give a shit so it's great!

Does this mean our Pokemon would canon wise literally travel through time when transferring stuff? Pokemon canon is getting weird as hell guys.

It's gonna be more fucked in 2016 when they make a 20th anniversary remake of Fire Red and Leaf Green, which supposedly run parallel to ORAS, which will be sharing a gen with XY (and Z?) which takes place roughly <10 years in the future?

Then Gen 7 will have Diamond and Pearl remakes along with Heart Gold and Soul Silver remakes, calling it now.

Azuran

Banned
"Quickly, get this pokemon and come with me to stop the "you" from the future!"

The bad team would be searching you instead of pokemons. Bad you from the future learns that only the past him (you, the player) could stop his plans, so he creates a task force to capture you and bring it to him.

PS: Alternate timelines so it doesn't happen what happened in BTTF.

I want this so bad now. After you conquer the Battle Frontier, you become the most powerful person in the world (since we all know Pokemon battles > all) which leads to a Spider-Man 2099 scenario fused with some Back to the Future.

Kinsei

Banned
Yellow was my first Pokemon game and I would be lying if I said I didn't want to see a remake of that happening.

But showing Kanto in 3D will only show how empty that region really is and not even muh nostalgia would probably save it

Eh, they turned the worst Pokemon games (G/S/C) into some of the best (HG/SS) so I'm confident that GF would make it work.

Hatchtag

Banned
Can't go past Fortree City before getting the badge for no real reason like you could in the originals. God dammit Gamefreak. I hate how much they streamlined and removed any sense of exploration from this game. Absolutely terrible remake of one of my all time favorite games.

Growlie19

Just beat the champion! Here's my team:

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Swords Dance
Leaf Blade
Rock Tomb
Dual Chop

Tentacruel @ Mystic Water
Surf
Sludge Wave
Ice Beam
Dazzling Gleam

Medicham @ Medichamite
Drain Punch
Rock Tomb
Zen Headbutt
Recover

Ninetales @ Charcoal
Calm Mind
Flamethrower
Dark Pulse
Extrasensory

Armaldo @ Expert Belt
Crush Claw
Rock Tomb
Earthquake
X-Scissor

Others I used for a brief time were Mightyena, Swellow, Geodude, Linoone, and Latias. I had a great run! Can't wait to start the Delta Episode!

ivysaur12

Banned
If only they gave it to more characters like the gym leaders...

If they only gave any character to the gym leaders. I'm up to badge 6 and, thus far, this has to be one of the least-memorable of all 6 gens. Gamefreak also hasn't really done anything to integrate them into the main story at all, at least not yet.

If they only gave any character to the gym leaders. I'm up to badge 6 and, thus far, this has to be one of the least-memorable of all 6 gens. Gamefreak also hasn't really done anything to integrate them into the main story at all, at least not yet.
The last gym is the only gym leader that is actually tied to the story :/

But that's true to the original games and helps reminds us how they did nothing in the original games too! And there's no way Gamefreak could have done anything to fix this!

If only they gave it to more characters like the gym leaders...

The last gym is the only gym leader that is actually tied to the story :/

But that's true to the original games and helps reminds us how they did nothing in the original games too! And there's no way Gamefreak could have done anything to fix this!
I loved seeing the gym leaders doing stuff, other than hanging around their gym in gen 5 like the cowboy mayor, the pilot, the fashionista, then showing up to take down team plasma. That was really cool. And in gen 4 you'd occasionally run into the leaders doing random things too like falkner in pokeathlon or bugsy hanging out national park taking pictures.

OraleeWey

Sorry for going off topic a bit. Asking for a bit of help.

But what is the fastest less tedious way of getting my pokemon (from ruby+sapphire where I started my adventure), who are all on pokemon diamond to ORAS?

What do I need to do?

braves01

Banned
Sorry for going off topic a bit. Asking for a bit of help.

But what is the fastest less tedious way of getting my pokemon (from ruby+sapphire where I started my adventure), who are all on pokemon diamond to ORAS?

What do I need to do?

Bring them to B/W/B2/W2 via the transfer lab, then from B/W/B2/W2 to Pokebank to ORAS.

Unfortunately it will be tedious, since IIRC I don't think the transfer lab unlocks until after you beat the E4, it's limited in the number of Pokes you can transfer at a time and there's a horrible minigame you're forced to play. That, plus you'll have to drop $5 for the bank.

Impala26

Me and my fiancee were both just talking about with all these new megas they released, but there's no Mega Flygon or Mega Milotic is actually pretty disappointing. They're basically the two non-legendary Pokemon the both of us considered pretty much the most iconic of Hoenn.

Sad face all-around :-(

Seil

Is Flash even necessary in this game? I got down to the bottom floors of Granite Cave and it wasn't even pitch black.

Not at all necessary lol. The areas that can be lit up are dark, but still visible. I didn't bother using it at all.

Is Flash even necessary in this game? I got down to the bottom floors of Granite Cave and it wasn't even pitch black.

Flash is becoming more and more like that obnoxious cousin you invited to the parties because he could bring you booze, but now that he's irrelevant you invite him so he doesn't get sad.

OraleeWey

Bring them to B/W/B2/W2 via the transfer lab, then from B/W/B2/W2 to Pokebank to ORAS.

Unfortunately it will be tedious, since IIRC I don't think the transfer lab unlocks until after you beat the E4, it's limited in the number of Pokes you can transfer at a time and there's a horrible minigame you're forced to play. That, plus you'll have to drop $5 for the bank.

So from Diamond, transfer them to White2 after completeling the Elite 4. Then to the pokebank directly?

How many can I transfer at a time and every time I transfer, I have to play a mini game?

MattyG

Banned
I can never remember, is it possible to breed starters? And if I get X and Y, is there any easy way to get the third legendary bird besides trading?

I really want a 100% Pokedex, I've played every Pokemon game except B and W and B2 and W2, but I've never finished the Pokedex.

I can never remember, is it possible to breed starters? And if I get X and Y, is there any easy way to get the third legendary bird besides trading? I really want a 100% Pokedex, I've played every Pokemon game except B and W and B2 and W2, but I've never finished the Pokedex.

1- Yes.

2- Hmm, don't have an answer for that, sorry.

emb

I can never remember, is it possible to breed starters? And if I get X and Y, is there any easy way to get the third legendary bird besides trading?

I really want a 100% Pokedex, I've played every Pokemon game except B and W and B2 and W2, but I've never finished the Pokedex.
Yeah, you can breed starters. I think you get a bird in XY based on which starter you picked, but I can't remember if that's exactly how it works.

I'd like to complete the dex too... but I know I've missed a couple of events, and I don't envy the tedium of getting each evolution stage through breeding/levelling/trading/increasing happiness/etc.

MattyG

Banned
1- Yes.

2- Hmm, don't have an answer for that, sorry.

Yeah, you can breed starters. I think you get a bird in XY based on which starter you picked, but I can't remember if that's exactly how it works.

I'd like to complete the dex too... but I know I've missed a couple of events, and I don't envy the tedium of getting each evolution stage through breeding/levelling/trading/increasing happiness/etc.
Awesome, thanks for the answers!

And yeah, that is how the birds work, I just didn't know if there was a way (besides trading for them) to get the other two.

Made a list of the changes I could find that affected competitive play, along with a couple other things at the end. I like these, even if getting a certain few mega stones is horrible.
  • Getting all the O-Powers is now really easy. No more style grinding.
  • Version exclusive mega stones are no longer a thing.
  • Getting all the resistance berries is a cake walk for once.
  • Even though your Lati just joins you, Synchronize still works on it. It might even be a 100% success rate. In past games Synchronize would not have worked in this sort of instance.
  • Sweet Scent is no longer affected by the weather.
  • Secret Bases with 3 level 100 Blissey is possible. And I think you can have other trainers in the base with that sorta team. Should eventually get some awesome bases going.
  • There's a hoarde with a 100% chance of appearing for each stat, making EV Training via hoardes notably faster
  • When you tap a Friend's icon to invite them to do something, their FC is now also displayed. This means that when doing online stuff on message boards you can check the FC in that post or PM with the one displayed ingame before you screw over poor Shark in an online tourney because you battled the wrong person.
  • Tutor moves require a small amount of BP this time as opposed to horrible shard grinding. Remember, the Super mode run that's required to face the highest leveled trainer in the game will give you enough BP to last a really long time if you transfer over your items from XY.
  • There's a post-game Daycare Center. If you line yourself up in front of the Daycare Boy, hold "left" or "right" until you run into the wall, and then hold "up", you can cycle around the island forever. Furthermore, a lady in front of the daycare lets you change the music to one of several different tunes that override the bicycle theme, adding some variety. Finally, the Pokemon Center with the IV Judge is right on the bike's path, and if you press "A" as you pass by the Daycare Boy you can grab an egg, though if you do that you'll have to restart the loop. Overall, this makes the breeding experience a little less of a pain.
  • There's an NPC that explicitly states that in serious battles you often have to use the mons that will win instead of your favorites. This, in essence, finally gives us a great response to all the fucking Karen quotations.
  • World Championships are mentioned at least 3 times. Should get some googling going.

Seil

Awesome, thanks for the answers!

And yeah, that is how the birds work, I just didn't know if there was a way (besides trading for them) to get the other two.

Nah you'll have to trade for them, unless you want to play through HGSS or Platinum and transfer them all the way up.

Made a list of the changes I could find that affected competitive play, along with a couple other things at the end. I like these, even if getting a certain few mega stones is horrible.
  • There's an NPC that explicitly states that in serious battles you often have to use the mons that will win instead of your favorites. This, in essence, finally gives us a great response to all the fucking Karen quotations.

Can you explain this one to me? I'm out of the loop. Who's Karen?

braves01

Banned
So from Diamond, transfer them to White2 after completeling the Elite 4. Then to the pokebank directly?

How many can I transfer at a time and every time I transfer, I have to play a mini game?

Here's some more info. You can only transfer 6 at a time, and yes, you have to play and successfully complete a mini game to do the transfer.

I actually think there's another step I forgot about above. I think you need to also download an app called Poke Transporter to move from White 2 to the PokeBank. It's free, so no worries about that. So, the ultimate route is: Diamond --> White 2 --> Poke Transporter --> PokeBank --> ORAS

Like I said, it's pretty tedious.

Top Bottom