• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Hey guys. Looking for some advice.

I'm a long time pokemon fan. I played Red, Yellow, Gold, Crystal, Ruby, FireRed, and Emerald as they were released. But at that point I fell off, and haven't picked up a new entry since. In the intervening years, whenever I had a pokemon impulse, I would consider jumping back in, but would ultimately just replay FireRed.

I recently bought a 3DS and am rediscovering some of my old favorite Nintendo franchises (starting with Fire Emblem Awakening (AMAZING so far)). Part of me wants to just grab X or Y, but I'm also considering picking up where I left off and playing through Platinum, Black/White, Black2/White2, and then X/Y. A third option would be picking up OmegaRuby/Alpha Sapphire, since that presumably includes all the advances in game mechanics that I missed, and it's something I'm familiar with and remember fondly.

Would I be doing myself a disservice by skipping a few whole generations? Or would it just be redundant for me to play through them all when I could just play X/Y?

Would I be doing myself a disservice by skipping a few whole generations? Or would it just be redundant for me to play through them all when I could just play X/Y?

Play HGSS if you enjoy GSC, play platinum since it's one of the best, play BW2 if you're bored, skip XY because it's a subpar pokemon game, play ORAS if you enjoy hoenn.

If you just want to see what the modern games are like, i'd grab ORAS, since it's got the playerbase. if you want the "best" modern pokemon, i'd go with platinum or bw2.

yea Smogon says Giratinas meant to be a tank so ill probably keep this one

might want to check that it's offensive stats aren't totally shot.

So I'm terrible at the Battle Maison. How do I go about getting the motivation to get 50 wins for the precious gold card and not fear a hot streak ending continuously?

Muku

I dunno, I find fire here useful. Perhaps it's not as great a deal needed in other games, but I love destroying Steel with it. My thing with Torchic specifically is it fills two roles that I like. Fire, but also Fighting. Had a flying move on it until recently, but Peck is so meh felt it was okay to get rid of it anyway. Double Kick those Zigzagoon's to the moon and back.

On another note, RS was worst generation. I haven't had high hopes thus far until getting Surf. Some of the improvements they've made this game are nice. DexNav is nice. I just run around leveling it up just because. Though feel like it won't become really useful until OR comes in. Plan on straight up only using Pokemon I find in-game that play through. Surfing on Sharpedo is heaven. And little surfing I've done, encounters don't seem to be as awful before. What I'm still not liking is the need for HM slaves. Won't really be able to say whether this is a decent remake or not until I get further in, but so far I've gone from "meh it sucks" to neutral at the moment.

So I'm terrible at the Battle Maison. How do I go about getting the motivation to get 50 wins for the precious gold card and not fear a hot streak ending continuously?

Get a team of competitive pokemon with strong coverage and beefiness and you should be able to get 50. it's not piss, but it's not too ridiculous.
I dunno, I find fire here useful. Perhaps it's not as great a deal needed in other games, but I love destroying Steel with it. My thing with Torchic specifically is it fills two roles that I like. Fire, but also Fighting. Had a flying move on it until recently, but Peck is so meh felt it was okay to get rid of it anyway. Double Kick those Zigzagoon's to the moon and back.

The only steel with a immunity to ground in hoenn is skarmory. which can be blown up by electric, ice, or any other neutral SE hit, so while fire is certainly very viable, it just isn't as strong as other types in hoenn.

Play HGSS if you enjoy GSC, play platinum since it's one of the best, play BW2 if you're bored, skip XY because it's a subpar pokemon game, play ORAS if you enjoy hoenn.

If you just want to see what the modern games are like, i'd grab ORAS, since it's got the playerbase. if you want the "best" modern pokemon, i'd go with platinum or bw2.

might want to check that it's offensive stats aren't totally shot.

its lv 50 and its stats are HP 225,attk 109,def 154,sp attk 112,spf def 140,and spd 99
nature relaxed
so am i good or back to SR?

Hatchtag

Banned
Hey guys. Looking for some advice.

I'm a long time pokemon fan. I played Red, Yellow, Gold, Crystal, Ruby, FireRed, and Emerald as they were released. But at that point I fell off, and haven't picked up a new entry since. In the intervening years, whenever I had a pokemon impulse, I would consider jumping back in, but would ultimately just replay FireRed.

I recently bought a 3DS and am rediscovering some of my old favorite Nintendo franchises (starting with Fire Emblem Awakening (AMAZING so far)). Part of me wants to just grab X or Y, but I'm also considering picking up where I left off and playing through Platinum, Black/White, Black2/White2, and then X/Y. A third option would be picking up OmegaRuby/Alpha Sapphire, since that presumably includes all the advances in game mechanics that I missed, and it's something I'm familiar with and remember fondly.

Platinum, BW, and B2W2 are awesome. Especially BW. X and Y are mediocre as are ORAS, so do not skip the ones you've missed to play them.

Muku

Going to say BW are worth the time. I enjoyed the first ones a lot. Second set not so much. I'd still recommend XY. So far I still feel like it's better over this. Though I've never liked RSE gen.

Yrael

I'd love a Pokemon game that has all the best features from each generation, like Pokemon that walk behind you outside their Poke balls, the Shiny Radar, the DexNav, the Poketch, the Eon Flute, the Battle Frontier, the Friend Safari Zone, 16 Gyms...it'll never happen, but oh well, I can dream!

I'd love a Pokemon game that has all the best features from each generation, like Pokemon that walk behind you outside their Poke balls, the Shiny Radar, the DexNav, the Poketch, the Eon Flute, the Battle Frontier, the Friend Safari Zone, 16 Gyms...it'll never happen, but oh well, I can dream!

Then no one will ever buy a new pokemon game after it lol.

ffdgh

If all else fails, bring out mega mom. Parental bond is so good for battle maison. <3

Muku

This Latias will be the death of me. I wish I could decline getting it and come back for it after I got Shiny Charm.

its lv 50 and its stats are HP 225,attk 109,def 154,sp attk 112,spf def 140,and spd 99
nature relaxed
so am i good or back to SR?

...is that def stat a typo? calculator giving me an error.

nvm, it was bugged. they're pretty iffy, but i'd still take it, 8-9 and 14-15 respectively.

Random thing. After my first contest was done, I was search for that machine that makes the Pokéblocks. The one in the Contest Hall looked sealed up. So I decided to continue to the next city.

Then I decided to check the Pokéblock kit. Turns out, I discovered, you can make them on the go. Heh.

I love the instant access, but too bad we can't do the minigame like the original.

Caladrius

We do indeed have multiple reports of Shiny Reshiram and Zekrom, right?

Just want to make sure before I start Soft-resetting for Zekrom.

Yrael

Then no one will ever buy a new pokemon game after it lol.

I guess the only big incentive would be the addition of new Pokemon and new Mega forms...though we're already up to more than 700 now, lol.

We do indeed have multiple reports of Shiny Reshiram and Zekrom, right?

Just want to make sure before I start Soft-resetting for Zekrom.

Yep, someone here got a shiny Zekrom by SR earlier in the thread.

Edit:

Oh man, that's great!

But even better for me:

SHINY ZEKROM GET!
In a Luxury Ball!

Serious nature and somewhat questionable IVs (31/30/31/18/31/0), but I'm too happy to care right now.

Also, video proof from someone else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRAECzKG4HU

Nobody would happen to have a spare 5/6 IV iron fist Golurk or Golette by any chance?

I'm currently building a team for competitive play and I want to replace my Greninja. I'm looking at a possible Golurk to take its spot.

I think I have a perfect 5 IV ThickFat Swinub with egg moves to offer inreturn.

editted my post.

BTW, anyone have a Secret Base to share? I PMed a mod about making a thread for them, but that's in limbo.

This should be the most updated one.

gSege.jpg

If it's the most updated one then it should have the following:

3 trainers with healing wish blisseys
level cap machine after first warp
jukebox
vending machine

Location = cave base right below the safari zone entrance

RiggyRob

Finally got going with this since the GF's Alpha Sapphire arrived two days later than mine, and we're both doing a Nuzlocke.

Team so far: Triton (Marshtomp), Baskerville (Poochyena), Rocco (Zigzagoon), Holly (Nuzleaf), Terra (Taillow) and Muhammad Ali (Shroomish).

Already fucked up though, encountered and caught Echo (Whismur) in the route where you can catch Nincadas, but you can only get Whismurs in Rusturf Tunnel anyway, so that was a missed opportunity.

Yrael

gotcha. Thanks a bunch, mac.

Hopefully fortune smiles on me and I can get one with good stats soon.

Best of luck! I want to try SRing for one too at some point (I wasted a lot of time SRing for shiny Kyogre earlier when it may be one of the only shiny locked legendaries, haha! xD), but I think I'll wait until I have a Shiny Charm first.

yea that attack aint too great
hopefully EVs and leveling can make it a little better
hes a tank so its fine though id like to use his other form sometimes

I would get XY. I'm only at the third gym or so in ORAS (went through Sapphire over a decade ago), but XY's story, map, and Pokemon selection is far superior. There are some good additions to ORAS, but I still feel at this point that XY is the much better game.

Does anyone else want to offer up their thoughts on XY vs ORAS?

Thinking of ordering one. Have to import because I have a North American 3DS but live in Taipei.

Thinking of ordering one. Have to import because I have a North American 3DS but live in Taipei.

Prefer ORAS over XY just cause there's a lot more to do. Sure the post-game in both aren't that spectacular but ORAS has far more pokemon building aspects and a better postgame. More legendaries help too. My XY data was long solely for breeding and making my livingdex. ORAS has contests and secret bases which will probably keep me busy for a nice long while.

yea that attack aint too great
hopefully EVs and leveling can make it a little better
hes a tank so its fine though id like to use his other form sometimes

You can definitely use EVs to make up for it if you want to use him competitively. His sets mostly just use conditions and some sort of annoyance tactic, so offensive power isn't very relevant, even for a tank.

I've enjoyed ORAS as much as my favourites in the series. Really bummed about no battle frontier, but it's not like XY has it. ORAS >>> XY as far as I'm concerned.

You can definitely use EVs to make up for it if you want to use him competitively. His sets mostly just use conditions and some sort of annoyance tactic, so offensive power isn't very relevant, even for a tank.

I've enjoyed ORAS as much as my favourites in the series. Really bummed about no battle frontier, but it's not like XY has it. ORAS >>> XY as far as I'm concerned.

Battle Resort is a breeders wetdream

horde training.

Once you get the power items you can get 25 EV's per horde, 50 with pokerus. There are a few locations where specific hordes are guaranteed too.

whats the fastest way to spread Pokerus
i have a couple legendarys in my PC with it,
also can i wait till lv100 to EV train or should i do it immediately
or does it matter?

MattyG

Banned
I just realized that my Blaziken has really low defense. No bueno. I'm assuming the only thing I can do to even partially fix this is give him defense boosting items?

Caladrius

Best of luck! I want to try SRing for one too at some point (I wasted a lot of time SRing for shiny Kyogre earlier when it may be one of the only shiny locked legendaries, haha! xD), but I think I'll wait until I have a Shiny Charm first.

Thanks.

I heard that Mirage spot pokemon aren't affected by the shiny charm, but it couldn't hurt to have it.

one_kill

I just realized that my Blaziken has really low defense. No bueno. I'm assuming the only thing I can do to even partially fix this is give him defense boosting items?
For competitive play, Blaziken is meant to act as a sweeper so no one really cares about its defensive capabilities apart from having good IVs in the defence stats.

If you want to improve its defence though, you could also do Super Training.

whats the fastest way to spread Pokerus
i have a couple legendarys in my PC with it,
also can i wait till lv100 to EV train or should i do it immediately
or does it matter?
If you want to EV train a Pokemon, you do it as soon as it's hatched or captured. That way you'll have a better idea of how much EV is going into that Pokemon.

Can someone help transfer items from Pokémon Y to Omega Ruby?

Poke bank is useless with this stuff. In return I can get you any one item from the Battle Maison.

I'm still looking for a 5IV iron fist Golurk. I can give you another item from the Battle Maison or a 5IV Swinub.

Mush

This is now the third day I've spent time resetting for Latias.

I wish they didn't force it on you so I could move on and come back post-E4.

hey if i turn of XP share will i stop Giratina from gaining EVs?
cause i need to infect it with Pokerus first before EV training it

I don't think so, but I heard is pretty easy to reset your Pokemon effort values now. You just smack them in the head and they will forget all of them battles.

one_kill

hey if i turn of XP share will i stop Giratina from gaining EVs?
cause i need to infect it with Pokerus first before EV training it
Yes

If you want to infect Pokemon with Pokerus, just go into a battle with a wild Pokemon and run. You may need to do it two or three times.

I don't think so, but I heard is pretty easy to reset your Pokemon effort values now. You just smack them in the head and they will forget all of them battles.
If you're lucky enough to get a reset bag in Super Training then it's easy to reset a Pokemon's EV

Top Bottom