• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

WonderPup

Hey guys. Looking for some advice.

I'm a long time pokemon fan. I played Red, Yellow, Gold, Crystal, Ruby, FireRed, and Emerald as they were released. But at that point I fell off, and haven't picked up a new entry since. In the intervening years, whenever I had a pokemon impulse, I would consider jumping back in, but would ultimately just replay FireRed.

I recently bought a 3DS and am rediscovering some of my old favorite Nintendo franchises (starting with Fire Emblem Awakening (AMAZING so far)). Part of me wants to just grab X or Y, but I'm also considering picking up where I left off and playing through Platinum, Black/White, Black2/White2, and then X/Y. A third option would be picking up OmegaRuby/Alpha Sapphire, since that presumably includes all the advances in game mechanics that I missed, and it's something I'm familiar with and remember fondly.

Would I be doing myself a disservice by skipping a few whole generations? Or would it just be redundant for me to play through them all when I could just play X/Y?

It depends on why you play Pokémon.

In my opinion, the stories in the games are always awful. The single player portion is an absolute snorefest. If you enjoy the story, though, pick them all up. You can't go wrong.

If you're going to play for the competitive aspect, skip all the older games, and pick up X/Y and ORAS. There's no real reason to play through the older games if that's your goal. Plus, if you're playing in the VGCs where ever you live, Pokémon from older generations aren't even legal.

Lots of people play for lots of different reasons. You just need to figure out the reasons why you play, and make your decision based off of that.

Teknoman

Does blaziken have naturally high enough speed that I could even train attack and defense or special defense, instead of attack and speed?

yami4ct

Are the contests really the only way to get a Destiny Knot? If so, that's kind of annoying. First thing in OR/AS GameFreak did that doesn't feel like it streamlines making a competitive team.

Does blaziken have naturally high enough speed that I could even train attack and defense or special defense, instead of attack and speed?

if it has speedboost, you only need max attack and the thing is already a monster. Speed EVs are fine, defensive EVs are also fine.

one_kill

What are you going to use it for? Competitively?

Edit:
It's better to make Blaziken a sweeper; usually physical. It's generally fragile due to its mediocre HP and Defence base stats. Common moves like Earthquake can OHKO it. It's better to max out its Attack and Speed than put any EVs in its Defence and SpD.

Are the contests really the only way to get a Destiny Knot? If so, that's kind of annoying. First thing in OR/AS GameFreak did that doesn't feel like it streamlines making a competitive team.
You could always transfer one from XY or trade with someone who has XY
There's a couple in XY that hands them out like there's no tomorrow lol

Who do you recommend?

Azumarill, Mega Salamence/Mawile/Kangaskhan, Garchomp. Basically any really strong pokemon with some measure of both bulkiness and damage, as well as a decent movepool, since you're gonna need to sweep all kinds of pokes.

Why does Sceptile's Mega Evolution stand backwards?

Pointing his tail rocket-launcher at the enemy. I don't want sceptile pointing that shit at me!

Azumarill, Mega Salamence/Mawile/Kangaskhan, Garchomp. Basically any really strong pokemon with some measure of both bulkiness and damage, as well as a decent movepool, since you're gonna need to sweep all kinds of pokes.

Pointing his tail rocket-launcher at the enemy. I don't want sceptile pointing that shit at me!

Oh, ha! Didn't realize it was a rocket launcher.

Panzon

Can Rayquaza re learn Dragon Ascent if you delete it? I tried deleting the move and going to the move re learner out of curiosity but Dragon Ascent doesn't show up as a relearn able move. Also tried going back to Meteor Falls to find the granny in case she can teach it but she's not there. I saved before trying this so luckily I still have the move on Ray Ray

Edit: Nevermond. Can confirm Granny actually is in Meteor Falls and can re teach Dragon Ascent. :)

Play HGSS if you enjoy GSC, play platinum since it's one of the best, play BW2 if you're bored, skip XY because it's a subpar pokemon game, play ORAS if you enjoy hoenn.

If you just want to see what the modern games are like, i'd grab ORAS, since it's got the playerbase. if you want the "best" modern pokemon, i'd go with platinum or bw2.

Platinum, BW, and B2W2 are awesome. Especially BW. X and Y are mediocre as are ORAS, so do not skip the ones you've missed to play them.

Going to say BW are worth the time. I enjoyed the first ones a lot. Second set not so much. I'd still recommend XY. So far I still feel like it's better over this. Though I've never liked RSE gen.

Thanks. This is very helpful.

Sounds like I should seek out a copy of Platinum for starters. I had no idea it was so well regarded. Also, I think I definitely need to get up on HG, because my love (slash nostalgia) for Gold is surpassed only by Red.

It depends on why you play Pokémon.

If you're going to play for the competitive aspect, skip all the older games, and pick up X/Y and ORAS. There's no real reason to play through the older games if that's your goal. Plus, if you're playing in the VGCs where ever you live, Pokémon from older generations aren't even legal.

Also helpful. Pokemon has always been an explicitly single player experience for me, so there's not that incentive to skip ahead.

Can Rayquaza re learn Dragon Ascent if you delete it? I tried deleting the move and going to the move re learner out of curiosity but Dragon Ascent doesn't show up as a relearn able move. Also tried going back to Meteor Falls to find the granny in case she can teach it but she's not there. I saved before trying this so luckily I still have the move on Ray Ray
I think that old lady in Meteor Falls is the tutor for it.

Is there a full guide I can read step by step on what to build, where to build, and how to build it?

one_kill

Is there a full guide I can read step by step on what to build, where to build, and how to build it?
Check GameFAQs and/or Smogon

There are also a number of sites that specifically talk about how to breed Pokemon, how to train them, and what a team should consist of

MattyG

Banned
Just beat the Elite Four. Best Elite Four design in the series, hands down. Can't wait to do Episode Delta tomorrow.

I love how they did the credits, too.

Bladenic

Has Sceptile gained a better special movepool in these remakes or is a mixed sweeper gonna be what Mega Sceptile gonna have to run?

Has Sceptile gained a better special movepool in these remakes or is a mixed sweeper gonna be what Mega Sceptile gonna have to run?

Now that it gets STAB on Dragon Pulse it's movepool is fine for a special attacker. Giga Drain / Dragon Pulse / Focus Blast is decent enough coverage. Leaf Storm when you wanna drop a bomb.

in the singleplayer campaign you don't have access to much unless you delay treeko evolving. In post-game, Sceptile is a fine special attacker. I think he'll be quite competent in doubles since he gets lightening rod and quick guard.

Velcro Fly

Grass Pledge is decent and you can get it relatively early in the game and you don't have to delay evolution. 10 PP only though but it's free.

Hylian7

More post game spoilers:
Why do they have to fucking troll us like that regarding the battle frontier being "under construction"?!

More post game spoilers:
Why do they have to fucking troll us like that regarding the battle frontier being "under construction"?!

either Gamefreak has gone too far and are total assholes, or were getting the Emerald Frontier in a future game prob Z
i mean its not like their Capcom who just cancel Megaman games cause their assholes

Crayolan

More post game spoilers:

I'm hoping it means DLC. I mean, that it could be DLC at all is bullshit in and of itself, since it should be in the game to begin with, but in as DLC is better than not in at all.

It could be a hint at a Delta Emerald game coming up, but it seems a little too ridiculous even for Gamefreak to make a remake of a remake only a year later.

Hylian7

either Gamefreak has gone too far and are total assholes, or were getting the Emerald Frontier in a future game prob Z
i mean its not like their Capcom who just cancel Megaman games cause their assholes
True, guessing we see it in Z/X2/Y2. I really hope they do 2 rather than Z, I liked B2/W2's refreshing take on the "third version" thing.

Dominator

I can't settle on a squad. I only have two badges (I know, still super early), but I've yet to find anyone I really want to keep aside from my starter. I caught a bunch of Pokemon so far and my squad is just the first 5 I happened to catch lol

one_kill

I can't settle on a squad. I only have two badges (I know, still super early), but I've yet to find anyone I really want to keep aside from my starter. I caught a bunch of Pokemon so far and my squad is just the first 5 I happened to catch lol
Who's your starter?

It's a bit annoying trying to make a team early on in ORAS because there's not much variety. My recommendations include: Boomburst Taillow, Ralts, and HM slave Zigzagoon. Other monsters to consider are Lotad or Seedot depending on the version you got.

Top Bottom