• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Black & White |OT| of S'POILER'S and 156 New Pokemon's (no s'hiny Ponyta's)

Chozo

MNC said:
What the hell with all the Ditto's :lol

1. Images linked from Pokebeach

2. Pokebeach gets hit with C&D for for intellectual property infringement (which is likely cover for "stop using ROMs, you jackass")

3. Images get changed to Dittos to comply with request

So, yeah.

upandaway

Zefah said:
Why?

They have a PR campaign planned out for the game. It sucks bad for them when people (who probably didn't even buy the game) are hacking the rom and ripping out all the different graphics and other information and just leaving it out there for everyone to see. It really undermines a lot of the value that their PR campaign would normally have.

It kills the relevance of any future reveals they do for BW in Famitsu or other magazines. That makes it so those magazines won't want run columns for their product and that costs them money.

It all comes down to a bunch of people hacking their rom and costing them money. Who would like that?
So this is all sarcasm right?

Just making sure.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
upandaway said:
So this is all sarcasm right?

Just making sure.

No. Why should it be?

It's a shitty situation for Nintendo and everyone who was involved in the creation of this new game. The worst part is that the people who are posting all of this stuff are almost certainly using pirated roms.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Firestorm said:
Sending Cease and Desist letters to your fan sites is never good PR. That's why most companies don't do it. Why would they do future reveals of information that's already out there? The Pokemon hype train leading to release is done. The game is out.

They just told their most devoted fans to fuck off.

If their most devoted fan sites are pirating their game and ripping the assets out of the rom, then those are some shitty fans.

upandaway

Zefah said:
No. Why should it be?

It's a shitty situation for Nintendo and everyone who was involved in the creation of this new game. The worst part is that the people who are posting all of this stuff are almost certainly using pirated roms.
They are using pirated roms most likely because:
1. it's faster, way way faster
2. it's the only way to accurately and quickly extract information and images from the game, in order to cover it quickly
3. they are buying the game anyway (and maybe even multiple copies of it in different languages)

Why are you so shocked the roms come into play here? They're ideal. No one has admitted to piracy, we don't even know if these people downloaded the rom or dumped it by themselves.
Magazines' importance only comes into play pre-release and after that it's clear the fans would rather have the feature-filled, in-depth fan sites that the Pokemon games would be near fucking unplayable without.

I'd love to have this with you but I'm having a nasty migraine right now. This is my stance on the matter anyway.
I think the pictures are almost as important as the text regarding the Japanese release by the way, and are not causing any damage to Nintendo.

Firestorm said:
Sending Cease and Desist letters to your fan sites is never good PR. That's why most companies don't do it. Why would they do future reveals of information that's already out there? The Pokemon hype train leading to release is done. The game is out.

They just told their most devoted fans to fuck off.

I would assume the big problem here is that they're using ROMs. Didn't the owner of PokeBeach even say they were from a ROM, and didn't he also say he was the first to receive the C&D letters? It's not like Nintendo isn't letting them cover the games themselves, just that they take down the images that were obviously taken from a ROM.

Zefah said:
No. Why should it be?

In this day you have to assume everything about your game will be known a week before it's even released. That's just how it is.

If a company doesn't plan on that, it's not the fans fault. There's very little a company can do to prevent it, so really they should either ignore it, or cleverly use it to their advantage.

Firestorm

Pokebeach admitting to downloading the ROM while they wait for their copies to arrive may be the reason they got shut down. Serebii didn't admit to that though (even though we all know he did). That said, I'm talking more about the people who visit these sites. Actively telling your fansites to take down content that's standard on any fansite is a pretty stupid thing for a corporation to do.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
upandaway said:
They are using pirated roms most likely because:
1. it's faster, way way faster
2. it's the only way to accurately and quickly extract information and images from the game, in order to cover it quickly
3. they are buying the game anyway (and maybe even multiple copies of it in different languages)

Why are you so shocked the roms come into play here? They're ideal. No one has admitted to piracy, we don't even know if these people downloaded the rom or dumped it by themselves.
Magazines' importance only comes into play pre-release and after that it's clear the fans would rather have the feature-filled, in-depth fan sites that the Pokemon games would be near fucking unplayable without.

I'd love to have this with you but I'm having a nasty migraine right now. This is my stance on the matter anyway.

So you support pirating games and ripping out their assets as long as the person is "going to buy it anyway"?

Magazines are very important for post-release information, too, especially in Japan. Not all of the Pokémon have been officially revealed to the public. It doesn't matter if a lot of them can be seen in the game. There will still be an ongoing advertising campaign that reveals features of the game and Pokémon showing off their various formes, official art, Pokédex info, etc...

Feature-filled, in-depth fan sites are fine, but these people are going a bit far when you have a full sprite dump within a day or two of the game's release.

I just fail to see where you are getting this sense of entitlement to all information regarding the new game from.

Firestorm

Zefah said:
So you support pirating games and ripping out their assets as long as the person is "going to buy it anyway"?

Magazines are very important for post-release information, too, especially in Japan. Not all of the Pokémon have been officially revealed to the public. It doesn't matter if a lot of them can be seen in the game. There will still be an ongoing advertising campaign that reveals features of the game and Pokémon showing off their various formes, official art, Pokédex info, etc...

Feature-filled, in-depth fan sites are fine, but these people are going a bit far when you have a full sprite dump within a day or two of the game's release.

I just fail to see where you are getting this sense of entitlement to all information regarding the new game from.
Is ripping assets from a game and posting them on your website 100% legal? No.
Is this something video game companies have traditionally allowed because it's free advertising for their game, doesn't hurt them in any way, and gives fans something to talk about? Yes.

This is why companies prefer you never ask them for permission to use their assets. They have to deny you legally. This is also why companies never go after you if you use them without permission. Not only is it beneficial for them, it's not good PR to be Goliath threatening legal action against David.

Also, a dump doesn't have to be from a pirated source. You can dump your own game and then rip sprites from there.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Zefah said:

if they dumped it themselves, they paid for their sense of entitlement.

Zefah said:

We knew about all of RS's Pokemon and the fact the original 250 were also in the coding long before the game came to the US. We knew this before the game was even out in Japan!

We knew about all of DP's Pokemon, all of their english names, their stats, their moves and the names of all the towns months before US release. The entire metagame was started before the game even reached the US!

Yet the market for guides and post release media still found some profit. You can't stop the fans from doing it, and you certainly arn't going to shame them into not doing it.

DMG-01

upandaway said:
Oh my God, Gen V is so uncreative. All but three of the Pokemon look exactly like Ditto, and one of those three is just Pikachu with tiny dots for eyes. I'm never buying another Pokemon game again. Good job Trollfreak. :mad:

balladofwindfishes said:
We knew about all of RS's Pokemon and the fact the original 250 were also in the coding long before the game came to the US. We knew this before the game was even out in Japan!

We knew about all of DP's Pokemon, all of their english names, their stats, their moves and the names of all the towns months before release. The entire metagame was started before the game even reached the US!

Yet the market for guides and post release media still found some profit. You can't stop the fans from doing it, and you certainly arn't going to shame them into not doing it.
I'm pretty sure it's the fact that they've admitted to using ROMs to get their info. I could be wrong though because I haven't really followed this C&D drama.

Shiggie

The people on Pokebeach seriously don't understand and the owner of the site is acting like a child... not visiting that site again.

I have to agree with Zefah, just because it's faster to get a leg up on the other fan sites when it comes to info and "their gonna buy the game anyway" doesn't make the act of pirating a game to rip the sprites justifiable. Fuck, I'm pretty sure this is why that Spanish guy had someone draw fan art when he wanted to reveal new Pokemon instead of just ripping the stuff.

They are still allowed to COVER the games and post INFO, Nintendo just doesn't want them posting sprites from a pirated game.

balladofwindfishes said:

We knew about all of DP's Pokemon, all of their english names, their stats, their moves and the names of all the towns months before US release. The entire metagame was started before the game even reached the US!

...and we'll know that stuff before the US release of Black/White anyways. They were told to take down the images, that's it.

Firestorm

Shiggie said:
The people on Pokebeach seriously don't understand and the owner of the site is acting like a child... not visiting that site again.
The webmasters of PokeBeach and Serebii are both childish morons.

This is the most boring discussion ever. Can't we get back on topic and start talking about the actual games again instead of using this thread to practice for moot court?

Is Belle really the champion? I have yet to see any actually fight her(as champion) in their playthroughs and are just fighting Adeku.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Emonga said:
This is the most boring discussion ever. Can't we get back on topic and start talking about the actual games again instead of using this thread to practice for moot court?

Well... the cease and desist kind of hurts this particular thread, since it was all about posting spoilers. There is a real OT for BW where people who are playing the game are... or were talking about the actual game.

QuiteWhittle said:
Is Belle really the champion? I have yet to see any actually fight her(as champion) in they're playthroughs and are just fighting Adeku.
AFAIK she is.

She beat the red haired guy and became the champ but then you come along and fight her. After you beat her she is goes home after fulfilling her dream and that red head guy is now champ by default of her leaving or not being there or some shit.

Zefah said:
Well... the cease and desist kind of hurts this particular thread, since it was all about posting spoilers. There is a real OT for BW where people who are playing the game are... or were talking about the actual game.

2 sites being asked to take down their ripped BW images shouldn't stop anything when it comes to this thread! :p

Now, is Gary really in this game or not?
Some say theres no sprite for him . . . but I can't find any sprites for the 7 sages either and we know you have to battle them seeing as they are "hidden gym leaders".

Black-Wind said:
AFAIK she is.

She beat the red haired guy and became the champ but then you come along and fight her. After you beat her she is no longer the champ and goes home after fulfilling her dream and that red head guy is now champ by default of her leaving or not being there or some shit.
That's what I thought.
But when do you fight her? 1st time through the Elite Four, you have to deal with N and Plasma shit. Second time through, Adeku's champ.

Neiteio said:
Can someone PLEASE tell me when we'll finally see the official Sugimori art? :( :(
This is like the 4th time you ask this. Has it occurred to you that everybody ignoring your question might mean that nobody knows the answer? Arceus' official art wasn't released until like three years after his sprite leaked. So it may well take a looooong time before we have everything. Just wait and see.

Kurtofan

Neiteio said:
Can someone PLEASE tell me when we'll finally see the official Sugimori art? :( :(
There you go:
132Ditto.png

I got just about every single 5th Gen sprite, regular, shiny, back, and back shiny.

I'm just gathering the alternate forms, I don't see any gender differences, did they not do them for 5th Gen Pokemon? They still have them for pre-gen ones.

Edit: Oh, and I got the thumbnails.

Hero of Legend said:
I'm just gathering the alternate forms, I don't see any gender differences, did they not do them for 5th Gen Pokemon? They still have them for pre-gen ones.
I know at least the new Pidgeot and the Water/Ghost royalty have major gender differences.

Neiteio said:
IDK, i would think that they would be in the official walk-through book but IDK why that hasn't leaked yet. :/

QuiteWhittle said:
That's what I thought.
But when do you fight her? 1st time through the Elite Four, you have to deal with N and Plasma shit. Second time through, Adeku's champ.
I assumed fighting her was apart of the stuff that happened before you came to the N-Plasma thing.

Neiteio

Emonga said:
This is like the 4th time you ask this. Has it occurred to you that everybody ignoring your question might mean that nobody knows the answer? Arceus' official art wasn't released until like three years after his sprite leaked. So it may well take a looooong time before we have everything. Just wait and see.
Yeah, it occurred to me, but doesn't mean I can't be whiny! :)

It just seems that like with any high-profile videogame release, there would be a guide launching alongside it in Japan. And if there is a guide, surely some Pokemon fan somewhere would think to scan the official art of what these Pokemon look like.

Look at the sprite of Ononokusu and then look at his official art in Coro Coro and, well... Who wouldn't want to see art for all the new Pokemon? It made the DP sprites look sooo much better. :)

And LOL at the guy who posted Ditto. :)

Emonga said:
This gen's form differences:

yMLUW.png

Loving the Water/Ghost's alternate queen form.

Where'd you get the original transparent files of those? The Bambi and evo's for example aren't at Veekun's Pokedex, just the summer and winter front.

I know that people claim to have noticed gender differences when seeing stuff for the games and matching them up to other stuff (Something about the white on the Zebra being different sizes for each gender and so on).

Maybe people just haven't noticed yet?

udivision

Black-Wind said:
I know that people claim to have noticed gender differences when seeing stuff for the games and matching them up to other stuff (Something about the white on the Zebra being different sizes for each gender and so on).

Maybe people just haven't noticed yet?
But the people ripping the stuff are ripping the data and images straight from the game, and probably have the images side by side to compare.

udivision said:
But the people ripping the stuff are ripping the data and images straight from the game, and probably have the images side by side to compare.
Well I don't think we have animations and what not yet so there could still be a chance . . .but its not looking to well seeing as no one has reported any gender differences in gameplay yet for most all new pokemon. :(

Hero of Legend said:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6syhtibvak7ib5z

All the sprites are up and ready for downloading. :)

Edit: Is it even okay to upload and link to the sprites? Or is Nintendo just attacking Pokemon fansites?
They have ONLY sent this thing out to PokeBeach and Serebii . . . not Bulba/ Pokejungle/ Spanish guy site or anything as of yet.

I think that it's because those 2 did something stupid like outright stating that they were using roms for this and that. This is purely a Pokebeacn/ Serebii problem so far . . . I don't think Veekun as even gotten anything and they made the best rips (could have been from the game).

Black-Wind said:
Well I don't think we have animations and what not yet so there could still be a chance . . .but its not looking to well seeing as no one has reported any gender differences in gameplay yet for most all new pokemon. :(

They have ONLY sent this thing out to PokeBeach and Serebii . . . not Bulba/ Pokejungle/ Spanish guy site or anything as of yet.

I think that it's because those 2 did something stupid like outright stating that they were using roms for this and that. This is purely a Pokebeacn/ Serebii problem so far . . . I don't think Veekun as even gotten anything and they made the best rips (could have been from the game).

Hmm, you have a point.

BUT I just wanted to be prepared in case Veekun also had to take down their stuff.

Firestorm

Hero of Legend said:
Hmm, you have a point.

BUT I just wanted to be prepared in case Veekun also had to take down their stuff.
They have no idea who you are. They will not even see this. Even if they did, you live in Canada and our laws protect your identity if all they have is an IP address.

cory64

I'm gonna try and go until the NA release without getting too spoiled, at least not to the extent where I'm familiar with them like I was with the last 3 gens before they came out here.

Edit: fuck it.
x3gi9.gif

Neiteio

Man, I love all the new Pokemon. All of them. Isshu = BEST REGION EVER. :)

I have a question: Are Zorua and Zoroark only obtainable via an event, or can you catch them/acquire them normally in the game as well?

Delio

Man finished the game at 30 hours. Ended up with Wotter3,Fire monkey(replaced by Kamen Rider Poke),Elec Spider,Concrete Fighter dude,Ice creams, And the Earth Croc. Love this game cant wait to play it again in english ^_^

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Daaaaamn @ the Dream World Abilities for Ninetails, Heracross, and Gliscor.

Ninetails: Drought (permanent Sunny-Day. Will move Ninetails from NU into OU Tier and part of the Ubers metagame)

Heracross: Earthquake Spiral (Attack receives one boost every time heracross KOs a pokemon. This could put Heracross into Ubers)

Gliscor: Poison Heal (HP heals by 1/8th per turn when Gliscor is poisoned)

Ninetails and Heracross are just SICK :lol

Top Bottom