• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Amory

It kinda sucks that they didn't find a way to get online trading/battling in these games.

I love the idea of re-releasing for the 20th anniversary, just would've liked to see them make that one update to modernize for the older audience. Trading and battling in the same room was fine when I was riding a school bus 30 minutes each way and had lunch/recess every day with all my friends in 1996. Not so much anymore

zeioIIDX

Jumped onto the eShop just now...wasn't prepared to hear the Pokemon theme...had to turn the volume down because I might have actually started tearing up. I'm 29 now and Pokemon was my first RPG (FF VII was my second one) and I still remember being in 5th grade during summer camp and seeing all the kids playing this game called Pokemon. I HAD to get it. I had money saved up and asked my mom to take me to Toys 'R' Us. I wanted Blue but it seemed to be the popular version so I went with Red since that's all they had tickets left for (remember that shit? The Toys 'R' Us ticket system for video games lol). Bought myself a Game Boy Color as well and booted up Pokemon Red on the drive home. I was hooked. I've never experienced anything more hype than Pokemon and the craze that followed.

Anyway, I'm thinking of grabbing Yellow just because I never had Yellow, Crystal, Platinum, Emerald, etc. I seriously can't believe it's been almost 20 years since Pokemon came out here in the U.S. Wow.

There is a fair bit of grinding to be doing, I'm doing yellow so I'm working on getting a butterfree. Lot of grinding. But I'm one of the weird people who enjoys grinding, and I'm honestly getting such huge nostalgia gasms from this, its fantastic.

Getting the bundle. Have to decide between Red or the more unique Yellow. Probably Red, as that was my first game that I got with my first handheld, the GB Pocket.

McBryBry

Jumped onto the eShop just now...wasn't prepared to hear the Pokemon theme...had to turn the volume down because I might have actually started tearing up. I'm 29 now and Pokemon was my first RPG (FF VII was my second one) and I still remember being in 5th grade during summer camp and seeing all the kids playing this game called Pokemon. I HAD to get it. I had money saved up and asked my mom to take me to Toys 'R' Us. I wanted Blue but it seemed to be the popular version so I went with Red since that's all they had tickets left for (remember that shit? The Toys 'R' Us ticket system for video games lol). Bought myself a Game Boy Color as well and booted up Pokemon Red on the drive home. I was hooked. I've never experienced anything more hype than Pokemon and the craze that followed.

Anyway, I'm thinking of grabbing Yellow just because I never had Yellow, Crystal, Platinum, Emerald, etc. I seriously can't believe it's been almost 20 years since Pokemon came out here in the U.S. Wow.

I know how you feel dude. My mom bought me a GBC and Blue when I was around 3 (20 now) She likes to claim that it taught me to read. I can't say much because of how young I was, but I remember getting Red and Yellow as well. Silver, Crystal, and RSE. Sometimes as gifts, sometimes bought myself. That was the last I played. I just got a 3DS about a week ago with X and Fire Emblem, and I'm really tempted to go down the expensive road of getting the gens I missed.

JoeM86

Looks like only Yellow got updated with Jynx
CcNwtXUW8AA9hu8.jpg

Ennosuke

Thinking about buying this one. Although I still have a GBA SP with all 3 editions. The idea of using my pokemon of the VC game in upcoming games is kind of nice.

Gentuu

Banned
Didn't remember how bad brock was when you start with charmander. Pretty sure you cant get other pokemon with super-effective attack against him either on red version.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Quick question.

If I order the 2ds with pre-installed Pokemon Yellow, how does it work with a system transfer? Would I lose pokemon if I transfer over?

Kinsei

Banned
Didn't remember how bad brock was when you start with charmander. Pretty sure you cant get other pokemon with super-effective attack against him either on red version.

I don't think you can get anything super-effective but you can at least get a Butterfree so you can deal neutral damage with confusion.

Robin64

Some interesting info for those who care...

The ROMs within the 3DS VC releases are identical to previous releases. No modifications have been made. Any graphical differences you see, as well as the networking stuff, is all done via a .patch file which the emulator uses upon boot. This means you can dump the ROM out and play it in your emulator of choice if you so wish.

What's also interesting about the .patch file is that it's fairly open about what it's doing. A lot of moves are listed and have modifications to how they display, such as Hyper Beam:

Code:
;rsm103658
;no116 hyper beam
[FPA 005 Begin]                                                
Mode = 3              
Type = 0              
Address = 0x7819B        
MotionBEnable0 = 1        
MotionBlur0 = 5    
MotionBEnable1 = 1                  
MotionBlur1 = 5
ConditionType = 0                                    
ConditionValueA = a10: 4b cf 4c cf 4d cf 4e cf 7c d0    
ConditionValueB = a10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00    
ConditionValueC = a10: 87 00 98 00 8f 00 84 00 3f 00

But what this also means is that save files are identical. You could play on a PC emulator with fast forward, then copy the save back to the 3DS and it would work. If you so desired.

But the biggest part about all this is that using a USB GameBoy cart dumper, you can dump your original cart's save and bring your original Pokemon from 20 years ago into the new gen.

Just awesome.

But the biggest part about all this is that using a USB GameBoy cart dumper, you can dump your original cart's save and bring your original Pokemon from 20 years ago into the new gen.

Just awesome.

That's pretty amazing. Not something for me, seeing as I've restarted on my Yellow cart multiple times, and playing it again is part of the fun, but it's still good to see that it's so simple to do.

I was being all confident thinking I'll just get Nidoran to learn Double Kick...Then I realised that they don't learn that move early on in the original games, only in Yellow. So yeah, Confusion with Butterfree is your best bet, or just hack away at him like I did with Quick Attack with my Rattata and Tail Whip. Onix was constantly using Bide which was his downfall.

Suddenly having an internal crisis over which version, Yellow or Red?
Primeape is mercifully in both with Mankey early on in Yellow.
Yellow has colour but Red has hilarious looking sprites.
SUCH A DILEMMA!

Just sacrificed my stupid Rattata so that I could withdraw my grass type Oddish named Onion so that I can take on Misty. Being selfish, but Rattata is such a useless pokemon! I know I shouldn't have, but I had to.

Anyway, got to Bill's house with the following team (RIP to Sparkplug/Pikachu, Xenomorph/Butterfree, and Rattata):
  • Onion (Oddish) Lvl 16
  • Victor (Pigeotto) Lvl 21
  • Fury (Spearrow) Lvl 9
  • Poisonpt (Nidorino) Lvl 19
  • Bloodhound (Zubat) Lvl 9
  • Mickey (Mankey) Lvl 14

Delio

Not doing a Nuzlocke but my team right after beating Misty is.

Audrey (Ivysaur) Lv22
OMGmyHEAD! (Kadabra) Lv16
Supercluck (Fearow) Lv21

Going to be a while before any new members.

Just awesome.

That's amazing, though if anyone still has their original save files they're doing better than I am. The save batteries in my Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal carts all died years ago, taking no end of cherished memories into the netherworld with them. Goodbye complete Pokedex with Nintendo event Mew and Celebi...

2f0.gif

Suddenly having an internal crisis over which version, Yellow or Red?
Primeape is mercifully in both with Mankey early on in Yellow.
Yellow has colour but Red has hilarious looking sprites.
SUCH A DILEMMA!
Same. I'm thinking Yellow cause color, but Red because better starters...

Since I couldn't actually play yesterday, I started my Red copy today. Went to a random Wikipedia page to find out my naming theme and this time I'll use american historical figures.

I'm starting with Charmander, so I might end up calling him Reagan.

Shizuka

Since I couldn't actually play yesterday, I started my Red copy today. Went to a random Wikipedia page to find out my naming theme and this time I'll use american historical figures.

Since I'm starting with Charmander, I'm thinking about calling him Reagan.

Codename R.E.D.

Just picked up Yellow while popping into GAME for the Mew download code. Was torn between that and Red (I had both as a kid, but Red was my original). Yellow won out for colour.

kyo2004

Played a bit at midnight, I want to recreate my OG from 17y ago, so for this time no nuzlocke (when I played the original Blue version, my team was composed by Blastoise, Pidgeot, Lapras, Sandslash, Dugtrio and Golem, that was a little bit hard the first time when I was facing the E4, that means, a lot of grinding awaits for me in this journey... XD)

So far in my adventure (almost to enter Viridian Forest) I have

• Saitama (Squirtle): Lvl. 10
  • Birdie (Pidgey): Lvl. 10

Any other Pokemon besides that 6 will be boxed for the adventure (unless I need a temporary HM slave)...

CassSept

That's amazing, though if anyone still has their original save files they're doing better than I am. The save batteries in my Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal carts all died years ago, taking no end of cherished memories into the netherworld with them. Goodbye complete Pokedex with Nintendo event Mew and Celebi...

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/544/022/2f0.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd be surprised if anyone still has an unmodified working copy of Gen 1/2 games, my Blue savefile died about 5 years ago and Gold soon after.....

RedShift

Wait, they're really going to let us trade forward Pokemon from this to Sun/Moon?

I guess Mew won't be event exclusive any more then. Unless they find some way to prevent glitched ones getting through.

Some interesting info for those who care...

The ROMs within the 3DS VC releases are identical to previous releases. No modifications have been made. Any graphical differences you see, as well as the networking stuff, is all done via a .patch file which the emulator uses upon boot. This means you can dump the ROM out and play it in your emulator of choice if you so wish.

What's also interesting about the .patch file is that it's fairly open about what it's doing. A lot of moves are listed and have modifications to how they display, such as Hyper Beam:

Code:
;rsm103658
;no116 hyper beam
[FPA 005 Begin]                                                
Mode = 3              
Type = 0              
Address = 0x7819B        
MotionBEnable0 = 1        
MotionBlur0 = 5    
MotionBEnable1 = 1                  
MotionBlur1 = 5
ConditionType = 0                                    
ConditionValueA = a10: 4b cf 4c cf 4d cf 4e cf 7c d0    
ConditionValueB = a10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00    
ConditionValueC = a10: 87 00 98 00 8f 00 84 00 3f 00

But what this also means is that save files are identical. You could play on a PC emulator with fast forward, then copy the save back to the 3DS and it would work. If you so desired.

Just awesome.

Can you open the save files just by loading the memory card the games are saved on?

ar4757

I'm in for Pokemon Primeape version.
Can't wait to have those old TMs again like BODY SLAM and softboiled.

I've still got my Pokemon Master Guide laying around so I may bust it out for those Oak tips...
9FYmYBS.jpg

Was 'Kanto' not really a big thing back then? 'Land of Indigo' sounds like their favorite term. Guess it makes sense, considering the Indigo Plateau

Yrael

I decided to pick up Yellow first (I will probably get Red and Blue later on - back in the day I had all three of the cartridges with a GB, a GB colour and a cable link, so they're all just about as nostalgic as each other to me).

I've reached Brock's Gym, and still only have Pikachu in my team. It's going to be tough beating Brock's Onix with that Pikachu alone, lol, even though it is already at level 15. I'll probably get a Mankey or a Nidoran.

Playing Yellow.

I forgot this Asshole outright steals my Pokémon.

Fuck you Gary.

I named him "Asshole" in my file. ^_^

Top Bottom