• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

And the other way around, although you'll only encounter this if you use a Nidoran in Mt. Moon.

WVW69i8B1ZAJMT-fJz

Oh, the good old days.
Best TM ever lol

I'm surprised Tackle isn't a TM

I wonder what the original thought was when making junk moves into TMs

asdecru

Neo Member
For Pokemon Yellow, do you guys have your audio set to mono or earphone1 (stereo)?

Earphone 1 is the best choice for me!

I was thinking until an hour ago to pick between R, B or Yellow. Finally I picked yellow just because surfing-Pikachu mini-game, all the starters, more anime series related plot...

einer51

I was being all confident thinking I'll just get Nidoran to learn Double Kick...Then I realised that they don't learn that move early on in the original games, only in Yellow. So yeah, Confusion with Butterfree is your best bet, or just hack away at him like I did with Quick Attack with my Rattata and Tail Whip. Onix was constantly using Bide which was his downfall.

His name is Mankey.

Robin64

Yeah, I'd be surprised if anyone still has an unmodified working copy of Gen 1/2 games, my Blue savefile died about 5 years ago and Gold soon after.....

My Blue is still fine, and my friend's Red is too. Our Gold and Silver are dead though.

Galava

If you enable the GB border (press START while launching the game) you can enable the 3D(up all the way), and the actual game is "deeper" than the console, cool effect.

Kevinroc

Just picked up the Helix Fossil. All praise Lord Helix.

Edit: And since I'm playing Yellow, Jessie and James just showed up with Ekans, Koffing, and Meowth. They tried to steal Lord Helix (and my Pikachu).

Yrael

Was 'Kanto' not really a big thing back then? 'Land of Indigo' sounds like their favorite term. Guess it makes sense, considering the Indigo Plateau

I think the name "Kanto" appeared only once in the Japanese Gen I games, and not at all in the versions outside of Japan, so a lot of people assumed the world was called "Indigo" until Gen II started. That was certainly the first time I'd ever heard of the Gen I world being called Kanto.

I don't remember, can I catch Mew in Yellow? Red and blue for sure, but how 'bout Y version?

You can, yes.

MAX PAYMENT

eshop version must be different than the rom i have on my phone.

on my phone gary brutally beat me in the first battle. on 3ds, he didnt even attempt to attack me. wtf.

Link1110

Well, about that faq... US red and blue are upgraded versions of japanese red and green, (using japanese blie's upgraded graphics and script) so green was localized as blue Its japanes blue that never got an equivilant.

Some interesting info for those who care...

The ROMs within the 3DS VC releases are identical to previous releases. No modifications have been made. Any graphical differences you see, as well as the networking stuff, is all done via a .patch file which the emulator uses upon boot. This means you can dump the ROM out and play it in your emulator of choice if you so wish.

What's also interesting about the .patch file is that it's fairly open about what it's doing. A lot of moves are listed and have modifications to how they display, such as Hyper Beam:

Code:
;rsm103658
;no116 hyper beam
[FPA 005 Begin]                                                
Mode = 3              
Type = 0              
Address = 0x7819B        
MotionBEnable0 = 1        
MotionBlur0 = 5    
MotionBEnable1 = 1                  
MotionBlur1 = 5
ConditionType = 0                                    
ConditionValueA = a10: 4b cf 4c cf 4d cf 4e cf 7c d0    
ConditionValueB = a10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00    
ConditionValueC = a10: 87 00 98 00 8f 00 84 00 3f 00

Ah, that makes sense. Phantasy Star IV's Virtual Console release also did something similar to fix a bug where stats begin to drop once you hit level 99. The fix for it in the VC release was similarly located in a .patch file that the game reads upon booting up.

This is so fucking great. Nintendo generated a lot of good will with me with these releases.

My first Game Boy and Pokémon was the Special Pikachu Edition bundle I got for Xmas in 1999 when I was 7. Having seen the TV show and movie already, having cards, and seeing my friends with Red and Blue I was so fucking hyped for Yellow.

About four hours of game time in, got everyone on my Ash team save for Squirtle. Caught everything I possibly can up to Route 5, did the Mew glitch twice so I got two of them. Pokedex is at 24 owned.

Man, I had a pretty lucky run at the Pewter City gym just now on Red. Both of the Junior Trainer's Pokemon leveled up my Charmander once each, so I went from 11 to 13.
Then, Brock's Geodude spent the whole time defence curling, and only hit me once before he died, and I was lucky that I burned Onix two or three times, so Brock was occupied healing those sick burns while I got plenty of cheap shots in. Felt pretty good doing it first try!

Arcia

Banned
So, I saw in several other posts and on Serebii that they changed the animations for a lot of attacks in the game like Blizzard and Hyper Beam. What exactly did they change them to?

dity

Hold start and select when booting the game! Hold L and R and press Y while in game to change between monochromatic and green (for Red and Blue).

You actually only need to hold select. You can do the same for DS games to display them at their original resolution.

Two things I really enjoy about these games in comparison to the newer ones is the variety of Pokemon the trainers have all over the region, and the unforgiving nature of the opponents levels. For example, you beat Brock, whose best Pokemon is level 12 and on the route after him you're instantly facing up against Pokemon as high as level 14. For comparison in OR/AS you beat Roxanne's level 15 Nosepass and the next trainers your up against have like level 12s and 13s.

woopWOOP

But the biggest part about all this is that using a USB GameBoy cart dumper, you can dump your original cart's save and bring your original Pokemon from 20 years ago into the new gen.

Just awesome.
Woahhh.
If those cart dumpers were easy to get I'd jump on this right away just for that reason.

This actually made me dig up the old Blue cartridge and see if it still works... and it does! Quite a trip seeing my old Pokemon Stadium battle team again and all the stupid, stupid names I gave to all my monsters.

Gruco

Banned
Water gun is a great in game TM. Just teach it to a rat and have him kill geodudes and onix. Saves a ton of time for anyone who isn't a squirtle starter.

Woahhh.
If those cart dumpers were easy to get I'd jump on this right away just for that reason.

This actually made me dig up the old Blue cartridge and see if it still works... and it does! Quite a trip seeing my old Pokemon Stadium battle team again and all the stupid, stupid names I gave to all my monsters.

I was going to jump all over this myself then I realized you need a homebrew 3ds and software to decrypt the VC save file and to reinject it.

Two things I really enjoy about these games in comparison to the newer ones is the variety of Pokemon the trainers have all over the region, and the unforgiving nature of the opponents levels. For example, you beat Brock, whose best Pokemon is level 12 and on the route after him you're instantly facing up against Pokemon as high as level 14. For comparison in OR/AS you beat Roxanne's level 15 Nosepass and the next trainers your up against have like level 12s and 13s.
Yeah, I love how they weren't too timid about making regular trainers tougher. There's actually a Hiker in Mt. Moon that has a team of two Geodude and an Onix all at level 10, which is only a few levels lower than Brock but comes with another Geodude to mix up the fight a little while also testing what you learned from Brock.

And then there's
WVW69i8CLXY7puDsBO

I think that was the only nerf to a regular trainer in FR/LG, that thing is HARD in Gen 1.

Amiibro

Saw this asked a while back but does anyone have a full detailed guide to glitch Mew for Yellow editon. Possibly with pictures and super detailed information. I have never done this before and I want to know how far I should play the game before I can get him on this save. I don't want to miss out on getting him.

Please and Thank You.

Yeah, I love how they weren't too timid about making regular trainers tougher. There's actually a Hiker in Mt. Moon that has a team of two Geodude and an Onix all at level 10, which is only a few levels lower than Brock but comes with another Geodude to mix up the fight a little while also testing what you learned from Brock.

And then there's
WVW69i8CLXY7puDsBO

I think that was the only nerf to a regular trainer in FR/LG, that thing is HARD in Gen 1.
It's nerfed in Yellow too, he just has a lv 13 Rattata. The raticate destroyed one of my nuzlockes once (came in with 5, barely left with 2).

And yeah I love the leveling scheme. Like everyone in Pewter City talks up Brock so much but any of the Mt. Moon trainers could easily kick his ass. The only way it makes sense is if you assume (like what appears to be the case in Origins) that gym leaders actually have multiple Pokemon that they choose from based on the challenger's skill level, so Brock probably has like a lv 50 Onix and Golem in store.

JoeM86

jynx.jpg

Jynx is breaking the Pokémon Yellow sprite colour rules :p

So, I saw in several other posts and on Serebii that they changed the animations for a lot of attacks in the game like Blizzard and Hyper Beam. What exactly did they change them to?

They toned them down. Made them flash a light grey rather than black/white

Saw this asked a while back but does anyone have a full detailed guide to glitch Mew for Yellow editon. Possibly with pictures and super detailed information. I have never done this before and I want to know how far I should play the game before I can get him on this save. I don't want to miss out on getting him.

Please and Thank You.
The earliest you can get him is after you catch Abra on Route 5.

There are three trainers of note - the Backpacker to the left of Nugget Bridge (in the grass patch), the Swimmer in Cerulean Gym (the first trainer you would fight), and a Youngster on Route 25 who has a Slowpoke.

Basically the Backpacker is programmed so that as soon as you're in his line of sight AND he appears on the screen, he'll see you and walk over to challenge you. What you do is pause right as he appears onscreen and right before the exclamation point appears over his head, go into your menu and use Abra's teleport to go back to Cerulean City's Pokemon Center. From there, go challenge either the Swimmer or the Youngster. Beat them, and then when you try and leave one area for another, your menu will pop open. Exit out and you'll encounter Mew.

Note that after you've teleported but before you challenge anyone, you won't be able to talk/interact with anyone in the game. Also, if challenging the Youngster, make sure you keep some distance between yourself and him so that he has to walk over to challenge you - for some reason if you walk right next to him the game will lock up.

I'd recommend saving before doing any of it. There's some videos on YouTube that might be more helpful as it is a pretty odd glitch.

Gruco

Banned
It's nerfed in Yellow too, he just has a lv 13 Rattata. The raticate destroyed one of my nuzlockes once (came in with 5, barely left with 2).

And yeah I love the leveling scheme. Like everyone in Pewter City talks up Brock so much but any of the Mt. Moon trainers could easily kick his ass. The only way it makes sense is if you assume (like what appears to be the case in Origins) that gym leaders actually have multiple Pokemon that they choose from based on the challenger's skill level, so Brock probably has like a lv 50 Onix and Golem in store.

Throughout the series they've basically shown that Gyms are essentially testing centers for young trainers, and the leaders are much more capable than what you face off against. B2W2 is I think the most explicit about it.

I really want to get Yellow, because I never played it, but the lack of the Mt Moon Raticate is actually holding me back on the choice a little. The series definitely benefits from really strong one off trainers like that.

Top Bottom