• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Can you transfer Pokemon from one VC game to another VC game using Pokemon Bank? I know we can't send them to any new games but Moon/Sun.

Forkball

If you use the GB borders, is this the actual size of the original screen? I don't remember it being this small. How are millions of people not blind today?

kiguel182

Wait, Pokemon yellow has the purple gameboy color border? That was my Gameboy AND Yellow was my first pokemon.

Nostalgia is making me want to spend 10 euros. I have to resist!

Saw this asked a while back but does anyone have a full detailed guide to glitch Mew for Yellow editon. Possibly with pictures and super detailed information. I have never done this before and I want to know how far I should play the game before I can get him on this save. I don't want to miss out on getting him.

Please and Thank You.

Early Game method (before Fly and Misty):
Things you need: A Pokemon with Teleport (Abra), Healing at the Cerulean Pokemon Center, Poke Balls bought before doing the glitch, Having a Pokemon that can handle a level 15-ish Water Type in front, Saving before any of this happens
1. You must find a trainer who's visual range (a ! appears over their head and they walk towards you to fight you) is long enough that it will occur when their sprite is loaded onto the screen. For this method, choose the Jr. Trainer who is hiding in the Grass next to Nugget Bridge on Route 24.
2. Moving south from the top of the screen, press Start just as his sprite loads, go to the Pokemon menu, and use Abra's Teleport (or in later methods, Fly). This will take you back to the Cerulean Pokemon Center. The ! animation will play, but the trainer will not move towards you and you will Teleport. (To practice pressing start as he loads, move against the cliff wall instead of in his line of sight and move south. If you do mess up and get into a battle with him, reset the game to your last save).
3. Once you have escaped the battle with Teleport, you will notice the start button doesn't work. This is normal. Now you must find one of two trainers: The Swimmer at the front of Misty's Gym if you haven't beaten her yet, or the Youngster on Route 25 who is standing with his back against some shrubs and facing north. Whatever you do, DO NOT just talk to or get right in front of the trainer you choose, you have to let them walk to you. Fight them and win. Your Start Menu now works.
4. This step depends on the trainer you fought. If it was the Swimmer, leave Misty's Gym and walk up to Nugget Bridge until your start menu opens on its own. If it was the Youngster, either walk back to Nugget Bridge or Teleport back to Cerulean and walk up to Nugget Bridge and your Start Menu will open. Before closing the menu, get your Pokemon-catching Pokemon out in front.
5. Closing the menu starts a wild battle with Mew.
Note: Do not fight any wild Pokemon or buy anything or heal at the center after fighting the second trainer. It can cause freezes or glitch trainers to appear instead of Mew.

Here's a video of it working

Gruco

Banned
The thing is you get Bubblebeam immediately after Mt. Moon. :lol

Water gun is still plenty to one shot rocks, and Bubblebeam was actually useful enough to be worth saving for a competitive Persian set. Even then, nothing wrong with having a couple water attacks spread out in the early game. It really does save a lot of time.

-shadow-

jynx.jpg

Jynx is breaking the Pokémon Yellow sprite colour rules :p

They toned them down. Made them flash a light grey rather than black/white
I don't remember Jynx being purple in Yellow. I'm assuming this was part of the patch that's included?

kiguel182

Can you catch all 150 pokemons on Yellow? I know you can have all the starters.

My nostalgia is saying "buy Yellow" but I also played a ton of Blue back in the day so I don't know.

I have nostalgia for both games.

JoeM86

Can you catch all 150 pokemons on Yellow? I know you can have all the starters.

My nostalgia is saying "buy Yellow" but I also played a ton of Blue back in the day so I don't know.

I have nostalgia for both games.

No. No main Pokémon game has all Pokémon in it.

Yellow lacks

Weedle
Kakuna
Beedrill
Ekans
Arbok
Raichu
Meowth
Persian
Koffing
Weezing
Jynx
Electabuzz
Magmar
Mew (excl. glitches)

hazukash

Although buying Yellow is tempting, I decided not to indulge as I can readily play my original cartridges on my Super Game Boy. I'll wait until GSC comes out on VC so I can buy Crystal, my favourite Pokémon game. You know they'll be announced in the next Direct.

Attempts to buy some Super Potions...

"You can't carry any more items."

o_O

I don't remember having to use the item storage as a kid haha.

Firemind

Water gun is still plenty to one shot rocks, and Bubblebeam was actually useful enough to be worth saving for a competitive Persian set. Even then, nothing wrong with having a couple water attacks spread out in the early game. It really does save a lot of time.
I guess. I think the only time you're likely to encounter geodudes until like, Victory Road, is the Rock Tunnel. And without an x4 weakness, 40BP without STAB is unlikely to OHKO anything else. You're right though, Water Gun does have merit in the Rock Tunnel. Unless you've chosen Squirtle or Bulbasaur. :lol

My partner bought Yellow this morning. She used to have Red when she was younger and nostalgia got the better of her... and now after being bitten by the Poké bug and finding out about the Pokémon Bank, she's decided to playthrough White on her 3DS then X (which she hasn't gotten that far in) then Yellow so she can take her 3 game collection to Sun/Moon when they come out.

Haven't seen her this happy for a while.

kiguel182

No. No main Pokémon game has all Pokémon in it.

Yellow lacks

Weedle
Kakuna
Beedrill
Ekans
Arbok
Raichu
Meowth
Persian
Koffing
Weezing
Jynx
Electabuzz
Magmar
Mew (excl. glitches)

Oh yea, I'm remembering some of these. Thanks!

I remember back in the day some discussions about where Pokemons where and people saying different stuff depending on what version they had.

Gruco

Banned
I guess. I think the only time you're likely to encounter geodudes until like, Victory Road, is the Rock Tunnel. And without an x4 weakness, 40BP without STAB is unlikely to OHKO anything else. You're right though, Water Gun does have merit in the Rock Tunnel. Unless you've chosen Squirtle or Bulbasaur. :lol

Yeah, there's the rock tunnel and a few on Mt Moon. In addition I think there's a few random Hikers here and there.

Every rock type you can encounter in the game has a 4x weakness. Water gun is of course MOST useful if you picked Charmander, but even if you pick Squirtle it's still nice to have, really.

Forkball

So can the Poke Bank access RBY now or is it coming in a later update?

Also I need a nickname for Pikachu GOD I'M UNCREATIVE

Scratch that, I'm using US presidents for my pokemons and in case I get a female, their wives.

I can't wait for the first "Thanks, Obama" moment.

Gonna need help with the wives though, I only remember Eleanor and Hillary.

Man, years of playing competitively have ruined me. First thing I did when I received Pikachu was try to check its nature.
You can't even tell what type certain attacks are lol

Scratch that, I'm using US presidents for my pokemons and in case I get a female, their wives.

I can't wait for the first "Thanks, Obama" moment.

Gonna need help with the wives though, I only remember Eleanor and Hillary.
Just use a Wikipedia document. You're gonna need to know all of the First Ladies for all of the female Pokemon you're gonna catch.

Hope you like Nidoran.

Amory

Pewter City Pokemon Gym
Leader: Brock
Winning Trainers: Gary, Ash

I always think it's funny that literally 2 trainers have ever beaten Brock or any of the others if the pillars at the front of the gym are to be believed.

VRMN

Pewter City Pokemon Gym
Leader: Brock
Winning Trainers: Gary, Ash

I always think it's funny that literally 2 trainers have ever beaten Brock or any of the others if the pillars at the front of the gym are to be believed.
This is true in every region, I think.

Forkball

I hit Blue's Eevee with a critical hit Thundershock that paralyzed it on the first move. Next move, another critical hit.

GEN I BABY

Iokis

Quick question, I have an Austrian eShop account, is it possible to get the English (and glitchy) versions of RBY or am I saddled with the German language versions?

Apologies if the question has already been answered in the thread.

Firemind

Exp Share is a double-edged sword. It makes leveling weak mons way too easy. There's no point in switching out your main pokemon it it can OHKO everything. When you level up and evolve Magikarp, you have earned it. Or you can put it in the daycare w/e

It's refreshing how easy it is to make your way through this game. Not like the difficulty, but like how I'm not mashing the A button to get through some professor or some bad dude or some childhood friend's endless nonsense.

L.O.R.D

oh shit , there is already mod for this game

1e4d14b017eb4d7b7cc7a1d70519e2df.png

- Hold B to sprint (quad speed on bikes)
- All the Sprites from Gold Silver + Xp Bar
- works with poke bank

old vs modded

477557cd4d2a86210a5eb08d5ec34e8d.png

i think only work on CFW.

The old sprites are like the best part though. You understand why Geodude is called Geodude when you realize he was supposed to be like a 50s greaser, but a rock.

FSLink

Banned
oh shit , there is already mod for this game

- Hold B to sprint (quad speed on bikes)
- All the Sprites from Gold Silver + Xp Bar
- works with poke bank

old vs modded

Nice. Is it a patch somewhere? Looks like the GBC Red Patch, though I don't remember it having having a sprint button.

Zalman

My mind just forgot there are no abilities in Gen 1. I tried to not use "physical" attacks because I was scared of Poison Point.

Velcro Fly

Thinking about subbing out Pidgey for Spearow and using Spearow long term. Pidgey line not getting Drill Peck is a killer when nothing in this gen has a good move pool.

Thinking my team is going to be

Blastoise
Dugtrio
Hypno
Fearow
Arcanine
Electabuzz/Vileplume/something else with a good movepool

Revven

Yeah, I'm kind of reluctant to get into these VC releases because of conveniences like this.

I mean, if you capture like 40 Pokemon (I think? Might be 50) you can get the EXP. All item which basically functions like the EXP Share (except it's less EXP for the other Pokemon instead of getting the same amount of EXP).

Top Bottom