• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

One thing I have realized is this: always constantly holding B (even though I know that running shoes didn't even exist until Ruby/Sapphire). Gonna be a big one to get rid of!

Didn't even make the connection....Thanks! (Insert palm to the face emoticon here...)

They made quite a few subtle changes to Yellow to reference the anime.

AJ_Yellow.png

is this guy

tumblr_mxcsm3AeTn1r3ifxzo4_250.gif

And these two

bgb00218.bmp

are

latest

AND this guy is in the Viridian Forest

tumblr_kydawhxUFN1qamqgc.bmp

SeZMehK

I still believe they should have made physical versions of these games and the cartridges would match the color of the game just like the original games. They would be printing even more money... >.>

Trying out Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Yellow and seeing if it works between these two games (Yellow to XY via Pokemon Bank).

Edit: Annnd.........it doesn't...I should've known. Probably a software update will fix this issue in the future.

MisterHero

Digital Only is a downgrade from the original!

If you own all 3 VC games, you can't even put one of them on another 3DS to trade with yourself!

I'm getting the Red/Blue 3DS, then getting Yellow on my current 3DS, and see if I can complete my Pokedexes before I merge the games to my NNID.

Will it work? Dunno, but if it doesn't, I'll pray for Pokémon Stadium 1&2 VC Edition.
Or just go back to the real cartridges.

I have just been reminded of one mechanic I don't miss at all in the new games...

Your Pokemon suffering freakin' continuous poison damage after battle!

Acrylic7

I have just been reminded of one mechanic I don't miss at all in the new games...

Your Pokemon suffering freakin' continuous poison damage after battle!

I wish they would have kept that in the later games. These games already have the difficulty of a crossword puzzle, They didn't need to take out poison steps.

I remember getting KO's by poison 1 step away from Nurse Joy. Had to do the Rock tunnel with no flash all over gain. Great times.

Velcro Fly

Got to Mt. Moon

Wartortle - 16
Rattata - 14
Pidgey - 14

Are there any good Flash slaves other than Pikachu? I don't want to go all the way back and catch one :(

I only had a few minutes to play just now, but I sure got teary-eyed arriving in Pallet Town again. So glad they put this out, should be a good nostalgic ride.

Acrylic7

you are asking too much out of this

How so? Its extremely basic.
Not to mention my friends are very far away. I literally have no one to play with. If I just wanted to play with no trading or battles I can just bust out my original game I keep on my bookshelf.
In fact that's what I'm going to do lol. Don't know why I was so eager to spend cash lol

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Someone explain mew glitch to me I cannot remember it for the life of me. Also explain why yellow is better when there's no missingno clone item glitch.

They made quite a few subtle changes to Yellow to reference the anime.

AJ_Yellow.png

is this guy

tumblr_mxcsm3AeTn1r3ifxzo4_250.gif

And these two

bgb00218.bmp

are

latest

AND this guy is in the Viridian Forest

tumblr_kydawhxUFN1qamqgc.bmp

This makes me wish we had gotten a remake of Pokemon Yellow also at some point. That first season of the anime, and Pokemon Red/Blue were so iconic to me at that time. I would love to have seen a version of Pokemon with a more fleshed out tie in with the anime, like Yellow was, but done more recently with better visuals.

WadeitOut

I still remember contemplating asking for the Pikachu yellow GBC for my birthday but then deciding I would ball out with a teal one instead and got Pkmn Yellow separate.

Zalman

Just started playing this on my special edition Yellow 2DS. Loooving it. Currently on Route 4, I always catch Nidoran (male) and Mankey here. They're very useful early in the game.

Got to Viridian Forrest, it doesn't look good at the moment:
  1. Sparkplug (Pikachu) Lvl 7
  2. Victor (Pidgey) Lvl 7
  3. Poisonpt (Nidoran male) Lvl 5
  4. Rattata Lvl 2; don't even know why I even caught it!

Got to Viridian Forrest, it doesn't look good at the moment:
  1. Sparkplug (Pikachu) Lvl 7
  2. Victor (Pidgey) Lvl 7
  3. Poisonpt (Nidoran male) Lvl 5
  4. Rattata Lvl 2; don't even know why I even caught it!
Fight wild Metapod/Kakuna, they can't attack and only boost their own defense while giving around 50-60 exp. each.

JoeM86

I'm playing through the games in order (starting with Green), so I have a favour to ask. Could someone with Yellow send me a picture of Jynx's Pokédex page from Miiverse with the GBC Border?

I am trying to think of a nicknaming gimmick for my pokemon.

I have it narrowed down to:

Major Cities in the US
Antagonists in Film. Games, books, and anime

Which should I do?

Pokemaniac

The R/B/Y savefiles are not in anywhere near the same format as the newer games though. Being able to properly extract pokemon from those without destroying the save file took a lot of work to make happen, I imagine, let alone the process of converting pokemon from R/B/Y's antiquated stat system to the new one.

And then there's the wireless trading and battling.

These are probably the most complex Virtual Console ports ever released.

Like I said before, the VC release doesn't even need to know that Pokemon Bank exists. All of the actual code for that feature is going to live in the Pokemon Bank App (Or PokeTransporter).

Also, you're probably vastly overestimating the code that goes into this. The main challenge for something like this is more the design of the conversion process, since the Gen I+II and the post-Gen III data structures were never meant to be compatible.

How so? Its extremely basic.
Not to mention my friends are very far away. I literally have no one to play with. If I just wanted to play with no trading or battles I can just bust out my original game I keep on my bookshelf.
In fact that's what I'm going to do lol. Don't know why I was so eager to spend cash lol

The wireless multiplayer appears to work by emulating the Link Cable protocol over an ad-hoc Wi-fi connection. This is non-trivial, as the Link Cable protocol is timing sensitive. Attempting to do this over the internet is probably just not happening, since there would just be too much lag, and the connection would be too unpredictable.

kubus

Help me solve a dillema gaf :(

My boyfriend never played RBY (his first game was XY) but he loves Pokemon and especially Pikachu and he's always looked for a boxed version of Pokemon Yellow to play (which he never found)

I bought him the Yellow 2DS bundle for his birthday in three weeks as a surprise, but to my surprise he said yesterday that he's planning to download the Yellow VC game today. I really didn't expect this because he said before he wanted to finish Ruby first before playing Yellow.

Should I give him his present early? On top of this we're visiting family this weekend so we'll be stuck in a train for at least 6 hours. He wants to play Yellow during the trip.
I don't what's worse, spoiling the surprise three weeks ahead of time or letting him buy a €10 game that he'll get as a gift later on. What would you prefer in this situation?

Rizzi

My boyfriend never played RBY (his first game was XY) but he loves Pokemon and especially Pikachu and he's always looked for a boxed version of Pokemon Yellow to play (which he never found)

I bought him the Yellow 2DS bundle for his birthday in three weeks as a surprise, but to my surprise he said yesterday that he's planning to download the Yellow VC game today. I really didn't expect this because he said before he wanted to finish Ruby first before playing Yellow.

Should I give him his present early? On top of this we're visiting family this weekend so we'll be stuck in a train for at least 6 hours. He wants to play Yellow during the trip.
I don't what's worse, spoiling the surprise three weeks ahead of time or letting him buy a €10 game that he'll get as a gift later on. What would you prefer in this situation?

Give him the 2DS.

Give him the gaaaaaame he'll love it

Present early. Birthdays are arbitrary.

Crayolan

Give it to him early, no reason to make him waste €10.

Got to Pewter City, will evolve caterpie into Butterfree and get Nidoran M to learn Double Kick and beat Brock and then call it a night:
  • Xenomorph (Caterpie) Lvl 6
  • Poisonpt (Nidoran M) Lvl 11
  • Sparkplug (Pikachu) Lvl 7
  • Rattata Lvl 2
  • Victor (Pidgey) Lvl 9

WHERE ARE THOSE METAPODS AT?!?!?! JUST FINDING FREAKIN CATERPIES IN VIRIDIAN FORREST! C'MON EXP PTS!

Top Bottom