• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

gillty

Banned
Enjoying the faithful recreation of the original packaging.

25000895640_ea48242a43_b.jpg

I'm in Cerulean City, and just cleared the first part of Nugget Bridge my current team is this.

Pikachu L17
Pidgey L13
Mankey L16
Nidoking L18
Clefairy L11
Sandshrew L8

Bishop89

What differences are there between red/blue and yellow besides the pokemon and glitch stuff? I did have yellow when it came out but dont remember much about it except that pikachu would follow u in the open world.

Only reason I'm even contemplating this version is because it's in colour (I played red/blue on gameboy colour so I don't really want to play the black/white version)

Though I would miss the missingo glitch and duplicating pokemon

StrikerD

Trying out Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Yellow and seeing if it works between these two games (Yellow to XY via Pokemon Bank).

Edit: Annnd.........it doesn't...I should've known. Probably a software update will fix this issue in the future.

I'm pretty sure it's only sun/moon you will be able to transfer them to

Firemind

I'm down, I'll update my progress as I play. I use additional rules though, I'll list them here (in bold) and explain below...

Rules:
1. Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released or put in Bill's computer permanently.
2A. You may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances.
2B. If the first Pokemon I see I've already caught (even if its dead) I catch the next new Pokemon.
3. No save scumming.
4. No items in battle (besides Pokeballs)
5. I'm playing Yellow so Pikachu must be in my party at all times, if he faints its game over.
6. I must nickname all of my Pokemon, the weirder/stranger/funnier names the better.
7. Safari Game Bonus, I count the whole area as 1 but since its so random I get 3 chances to catch Pokemon, duplicates clause still applies (rule 2B).
8. I can use gift Pokemon but receiving one counts as catching one in a given area.
9. I cannot trade Pokemon

As for the explanation...

2B - So its known as the duplicates clause and I use it for 2 reasons, First is that it limits your overall roster of Pokemon as eventually you will run out of Pokemon that you can catch. Second is that it prevents you from getting like 12 Rattata's which just isn't fun at all imo.
4 - No items in battle means no healing/status removal items or boosting items (those were in Gen 1 right? I can't remember its been a looong fucking time) it makes the game a shit ton harder because on some fights if you've got a Pokemon who can absorb a strong hit you can just spam hyper potions until the enemy runs out of those powerful moves, it just seems super cheap to me. I CAN use healing MOVES in battle (like Roost in later games, I really don't remember what if any healing moves are in gen 1, softboiled maybe?) but no items.
5. I've never done a Nuzlocke on Yellow so I thought this might be a fun extra rule, it limits my roster much more and gives Pikachu a 'leader' status in which if he dies I game over (instead of my entire party wiping).
6. I've always though nicknaming was a common nuzlocke rule, just more fun and gets you more attached to your characters.
7. I call this a bonus but it means I could get 3 Pokemon or 0, Safari game is such a random chance and since you can't battle like normal in most of my Nuzlockes if I only take 1 shot at catching anything I likely lose, making it a waste to go there (besides the items anyway)
8. So Gift Pokemon are fun, in Red/Blue its how you get Eevee, so if I get Eevee in Celedon City that all I can get in Celedon City, I can't fish nor can I get one via the game corner. This lets you potentially have some nice Pokemon and allows you to possibly choose a few Pokemon instead of just the fishing Pokemon you can normally get in a few towns.
9. No trading with friends or in game. I mainly use this rule to prevent getting an Onyx super early in Gold/Silver but I think it applies well here, the bonus exp alone traded Pokemon have is broken and it also makes pokemon like Alakazam unreachable who I think many of us would agree is insanely OP in gen 1. Kadabra is powerful enough IMO anyway to stand on a team as is.

It's less complicated then it sounds honestly and most of the additional rules are for very specific things instead of the broad rules most Nuzlockes use.
Oh wow! You gave it a lot more thought than me haha. I was keeping it as simple as possible so that more people would hopefully decide to join our Nuzlocke cause.

The additional rules make sense. I actually thought about boxing Pikachu because the overworld sprite is kind of annoying lol, especially when you do a 180 (also Jolteon is the GOAT; can you even get an Eevee in Yellow now that your rival has taken it?) The quality of the Pikachu cry is also bleh. As for no items during battle, I think it's fine as long as you don't buy the items. You can only use whatever you pick up. (you only buy two fresh water, one soda and one lemonade for the three TMs and one to give to officer Jenny.)

Prepping myself for Brock now. Wish me luck lol. Still no Pidgey. :(

Zalman

After 1:03 of playtime, I've arrived in Pewter City. My team:

Pikachu (Lv. 10)
Nidoran♂ (Lv. 10)
Mankey (Lv. 9)

Not planning on catching anymore until I can get the three starters.

Firemind

Yesssss just caught a Pidgey right after I exited Viridian Forest.

My Pikachu somehow has more attack than special haha.

Edit: Holy shit I just encountered a lvl. 9 Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest wtf! D:

The grinding is now getting tedious: Xenomorph (Metapod) is Lvl. 8 and being only at Pewter City, it is becoming increasingly difficult and slow to evolve this thing!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Remember

- Critical hit chance is based off your speed. Which is why Slash + Persian is a legit thing
- Blizzard has 90% accuracy, and can be bought as much as you want, so just stick it on whoever.
- Once Frozen, you will never defrost
- If Hyper Beam kills an enemy or Substitute, it doesn't need to recharge
- Waking up from sleep wastes a turn.
- There are no notable STAB moves for Bug, Ghost or Dragon.
- Because of the previous point, Psychic Pokemon basically have no weakness
- Focus Energy does absolutely nothing
- Never use Rage
- Critical hits ignore the stat ups of your enemy (as they still do). But also ignore your stat ups. A crit after a few Swords Dances does less damage than not critting. It also ignores enemy Stat Downs, so if you lower their defense (Screech or Leer for example), crits do less damage.
- Walking around the over world while Poisoned does damage and can kill your Pokemon
- Wrap/Fire Spin trap enemies for several turns while doing damage. It's basically like Sleep, except it does damage.
- Don't use Substitute if you're around 25% HP, because if you're at exactly 25%, using Sub will kill you
- Even 100% accurate moves can miss

some of those thinks should have never been changed >> well..okay not some but the bolded one :D

Crayolan

Took me a few attempts to beat Misty, that Starmie is a goddamn tank.

My team right now:

-Charmeleon Lv. 23
-Paras Lv. 19
-Butterfree Lv. 11
-Beedrill Lv. 10
-Magikarp Lv. 10

Has anyone tried uploading a duder to Pokemon Bank? I imagine you just do it at a Pokemon Centre, same as normal trading, right? I'm really interested to see what they do with the EV and IV stuff, how they convert a Pokemon from the Gen 1 and 2 maths to Gen 3 onwards.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
someone from germany, region mannheim/ludwigshafen/heidelberg playing and wants to meet so we can trade pkmn?

Pokemaniac

Has anyone tried uploading a duder to Pokemon Bank? I imagine you just do it at a Pokemon Centre, same as normal trading, right? I'm really interested to see what they do with the EV and IV stuff, how they convert a Pokemon from the Gen 1 and 2 maths to Gen 3 onwards.

The Pokemon Bank stuff hasn't been released yet, since it only transfers "directly" to Sun and Moon. When it is finally released, it will be handled through a separate app, as is typical for Pokemon Bank.

T9LIsxZ.jpg

Nostalgia mode maximum. It's been several years since I've played these games. Squirtle is still my bro, and I always leveled him up to a Wartortle before facing Brock.

I was kind of expecting to be missing the Running Shoes a lot, but the PC moves fast enough that I don't really mind.

The Pokemon Bank stuff hasn't been released yet, since it only transfers "directly" to Sun and Moon. When it is finally released, it will be handled through a separate app, as is typical for Pokemon Bank.

Oh, OK, I didn't know it was S&M only. That makes sense, then.

FrsDvl

These games are bringing back way too many memories. I miss being 8, during recess, with my link cable. Kids nowadays don't know how amazing Pokemon used to be.

FrsDvl

Why do people keep posting their team lists / LVLs in here? Is someone running a survey and collecting data?

Cause everyone is feeling like a kid again. I always bragged about my team at school. People respected that stuff. It doesn't really have any effect nowadays, but it's part of life.

Just lost my Pikachu due to a crit from a freakin pound from Clefairy from the 1st trainer in Mt Moon! noooooooooooooooooo!

I literally don't know how I am going to take on Misty now...shit!

Firemind

Butterfree is pulling its weight with Poisonpowder! Fuck you Jigglypuff and Clefairy for putting everyone to sleep!

Just lost my Pikachu due to a crit from a freakin pound from Clefairy from the 1st trainer in Mt Moon! noooooooooooooooooo!

I literally don't know how I am going to take on Misty now...shit!
Oh man that's rough.

I suppose you can catch an Oddish/Bellsprout after Nugget Bridge and level it up?

Amory

Decided to go with yellow since I never played it as a kid.

Nintendo is gonna clean up with these releases. Still such great games after all these years

......I can't believe a guide from an "official magazine" made Prima look amazing and accurate.......
Never forget:
1310_front.jpg

Yeah 40 Winks was meant to come out on N64...

Funny thing is they were the type of magazine to show coverage of people setting fire to Playstations so would by their judgement now view themselves as heretics.

Would be cool if all RBY Pokemon had 6 31 IV stats. VC releases could become breeding farms
You need breeding for breeding farms :p Also given how easy (if time consuming) perfect IVs are to get via breeding in Gen VI that leaves the legendaries and really Articuno and Moltres are crap and Zapdos would rather have HP Ice.

Ein Bear

Just started, have gone for Red since that was the version I played back in the day. Is there a way to apply the 'colour' mode that you'd get when you played the original on a Game Boy Colour? Where the entire game is given a red colour palette?

Pokemaniac

Just started, have gone for Red since that was the version I played back in the day. Is there a way to apply the 'colour' mode that you'd get when you played the original on a Game Boy Colour? Where the entire game is given a red colour palette?

No. Orignial Game Boy games can inly be played in black and white on 3DS. You can, however, apply a green filter to make it look more like an original Game Boy.

-shadow-

No option for the extra colours unless you buy Yellow. I have absolutely no idea why Nintendo never bothered with the extra colours. Same goes for the GB Donkey Kong game. It's only in black and white when the game was completely optimised for the Super GamrBoy colours...

Ein Bear

No. Orignial Game Boy games can inly be played in black and white on 3DS. You can, however, apply a green filter to make it look more like an original Game Boy.

No option for the extra colours unless you buy Yellow. I have absolutely no idea why Nintendo never bothered with the extra colours. Same goes for the GB Donkey Kong game. It's only in black and white when the game was completely optimised for the Super GamrBoy colours...

Ahh that's a bit of a shame. I played the game on a GBC as a kid, wanted that extra nostalgia. Thanks for letting me know guys!

Top Bottom