• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Good lord, Mews catch rate is ridiculous. I'm on my 3rd attempt of catching it with 13 Pokeballs and it's PAR and at as low health i can safely get it

I'm pretty sure Mew doesn't have a legendary catch rate. You're just having bad luck.
Pretty sure you were right about bad luck. Because immediately after I posted that, I caught it with my first ball after doing PAR/low health. Wah wah

backlot

It's most certainly not an ideal world if they remove IVs. It'd kill a massive part of Pokémon to capitulate to the vocal minority. The system just needs a bit of a rework so there's no such thing as a perfect Pokémon. Without IVs, the genetics of Pokémon, every wild version of the species would be the same. It'd be pointless. They shouldn't remove that just because hackers ruin it for everyone else. It'd kill trading, it'd kill breeding. It'd kill Pokémon.

There is no world in which IVs exist and there isn't a preferred set of IVs for any given Pokemon. You can change what a perfect Pokemon is but you will never be able to get rid of them.

Wiseblade

There are people defending IVs ? lol
It's so lovely spending dozens of hours breeding just to have a decent pokémon
sleeping.gif
In a twisted way, I have grown to enjoy breeding. There's a unique, twisted pleasure in hatching a Perfect Pokémon.

In a twisted way, I have grown to enjoy breeding. There's a unique, twisted pleasure in hatching a Perfect Pokémon.
But it's like shiny hunting or the fucking lottery, it's "enjoyable" because you got lucky, which is pretty stupid itself
It's such a waste of time, and most people playing competitive will cheat to get perfect IVs anyway so there's no point in not making it less tedious

I'd love to see IVs go away and be replaced with a sort of RNG moveset for pokemon.

That way the whole every pokemon is unique thing could still apply.

For instance:

Code:
Bulbasaur
Level 1 Tackle
Level 3 Growl(50%)           or Leer (50%)
Level 7 Leech Seed(75%)      or Growth(25%)
Level 9 Vine Whip
Level 13 Poison Powder(50%)  or Sleep Powder(50%)
Level 15 Take Down
Level 19 Razor Leaf

etc...

This would retain the unique factor of pokemon, while still allowing breeding to dictate.

I'd love to see IVs go away and be replaced with a sort of RNG moveset for pokemon.

For instance:

Code:
Bulbasaur
Level 1 Tackle
Level 9 Vine Whip
Level 15 Take Down
Level 19 Razor Leaf

etc...

This would retain the unique factor of pokemon, while still allowing breeding to dictate.

While that'd be great for single player (actually, it'd be really really awesome), I think it would frustrate the competitive community even more than IVs do.

Forkball

Pokemon teaches the following life lessons:

+Some people are just born better than others
+It's perfectly ok to abandon newborns who do not meet your standards
+The color of a Pokemon's skin is more important than the content of their character

Let's say you want a nice Nidoking.

RNG for gender, because Nidoking breeds into two different Pokemon
RNG for nature, which can be influenced a bit (but you needed to have RNG caught the Ditto/Sync user)
RNG for ability
RNG for IVs, which can be influenced a bit

RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG.

And then people wonder why people look to hack or at least manipulate RNG.

Trimming out IVs from that mess would still leave a lit of stuff to RNG breed for, but now without the obnoxious stat tracking.

Just beat the Elite 4. This was my team:
WVW69i98H4YjI5tOyl

Chansey swept Gary and Lance with Ice Beam and Minimize.
Aww, I'd think Likitung would have fitted nicely in your theme.

On a lighter note, the official Pokemon website posted some RBY strategies. http://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/classic-link-battle-flashbacks/

Honestly, I'm really impressed at this article. I mean sure it misses out on some stuff such as how Normal-types are immune to Body Slam paralysis, but otherwise, this is pretty high quality stuff: almost as good as the stuff you'd find on Smogon! I hope the official Pokemon website continues these strategy articles for Sun and Moon!
"Clever players may want to poison their Chansey before starting a Link Battle to avoid being frozen." In Gen I statuses didn't reset before link battles?

There are a number of these strategy articles:
http://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/
Look for the ones labeled analysis (in yellow in the top left of thumbnail) in particular as some of them are just links to info.

For instance:

Code:
Bulbasaur
Level 1 Tackle
Level 9 Vine Whip
Level 15 Take Down
Level 19 Razor Leaf

etc...

I would love this. I also advocate for the removal of IVs and EVs. They are an unnecessary barrier of entry into deep competitive play. Your ability to play competently at a high level should be more about your knowledge of potential Pokemon match ups and movesets, and less about how much wasted time you need to spend grinding and breeding for viable Pokemon.

Outside of the vitamins you give it, (and with this idea what moves it learned leveling up) all LV100 Gengar should be the same. When there are already 700+ Pokemon as competitive variables, there shouldn't be additional crap piled on to that.

Competitive Pokemon play is needlessly complex, the barrier shouldn't be there. You can achieve far more satisfying complexity through simpler means.

A great competitive RPG doesn't have hundreds of classes. It has a dozen or so with subclass or skill tree elements to supplement that so no two Monks/Warriors/ETC are the same.

Pokemon has types, and those are the classes. The individual Pokémon in those types are where the supplemental elements should come from. Fire is a class, but whether it's a Ninetales or a Charizard is where the subtle differences come in. It doesn't need to be deeper than that, you shouldn't have every Charizard capable of entirely different stats on top of that.

But Vitamins are just EV boosters...

It takes like 20 minutes to fully EV train an entire team in Gen VI thanks to hoard battles. There's no issue with EVs at all.

I didn't elaborate, but with this I think vitamins should be something that you can only pick one and boost a single stat. Like a buff slot.

Get a permanent boost to Defense, but if you give them a different vitamin they loose the Defense boost and get the new permanent boost.

Lose the idea of vitamins, and change it to each Pokemon's diet. What diet you give them provides the stat boost. Change the diet, change the boost. One extra layer of complexity, but not to the extent it currently goes.

Is there a cloning glitch available in RBY? I remember doing it in GSC but I can't remember exactly what I did besides changing boxes.

Mfw I forgot to have one of my group of friends get all the starters for us when they first started.

Misty's Starmie mashed my potatoes like 10 or 11 times before I finally beat her. I guess going up against her with a Charmeleon and Graveler wasnt a good idea in the first place but them critical hits didnt help.

I didn't elaborate, but with this I think vitamins should be something that you can only pick one and boost a single stat. Like a buff slot.

Get a permanent boost to Defense, but if you give them a different vitamin they loose the Defense boost and get the new permanent boost.

Lose the idea of vitamins, and change it to each Pokemon's diet. What diet you give them provides the stat boost. Change the diet, change the boost. One extra layer of complexity, but not to the extent it currently goes.

Or just keep EV's, because they are simple enough and allow you to build a Pokemons stats accordingly. IV's are what need to go because that is garbage breeding RNG. Taking out EV's takes out options of what the Pokemon can do, and its not like all Pokemon can be SpS or something. You aren't going to boost your Jolteons Defense stats.

Misty's Starmie mashed my potatoes like 10 or 11 times before I finally beat her. I guess going up against her with a Charmeleon and Graveler wasnt a good idea in the first place but them critical hits didnt help.

Pikachu devoured her for me.

Turn 1 - Thunder Wave @ Staryu
Turn 2 - Double Team
Turn 3 - Double Team
Turn 4 - Double Team
Turn 5 - ThunderShock @ Staryu
Turn 6 - Quick Attack @ Staryu = Dead
Turn 7 - Thunder Wave @ Starmie
Turn 8 - ThunderShock @ Starmie
Turn 9 - ThunderShock @ Starmie = Dead

Staryu hit me once for like 15% of my health, but that was it. I remember back in the day that Starmie was no fucking slouch, so I made sure to prepare for that battle fully.

Or just keep EV's, because they are simple enough and allow you to build a Pokemons stats accordingly. IV's are what need to go because that is garbage breeding RNG. Taking out EV's takes out options of what the Pokemon can do, and its not like all Pokemon can be SpS or something. You aren't going to boost your Jolteons Defense stats.

True, but honestly at this point I just want it completely overhauled. I want the way Pokémon works to stay the same on a casual level, but change entirely at a high level.

99% of the time the stat boosted would be Speed. In fact, maybe even 100%.

Loptous

I took a Spearow (Pride) with me and decided to train it before going to Mt. Moon.
The first thing I then encountered was a Mankey that was at a lower level and I thought it would be fine. Mankey used a Low Kick (not a critical) and that somehow damaged more than half of my Spearow's HP which then died. RIP

Went through Mt. Moon without any problem and reached Cerulean City otherwise.

Cranzor

How are you supposed to know that a Moon Stone will make certain Pokemon evolve? I saw it online for a Pokemon I have, but does it say it anywhere in the game or do you just have to get lucky and try it?

Also, is the game gated by beating gyms? I just got to Misty's gym, but I'm wondering if I could just keep going until the next town if I wanted to or if it would stop me.

How are you supposed to know that a Moon Stone will make certain Pokemon evolve? I saw it online for a Pokemon I have, but does it say it anywhere in the game or do you just have to get lucky and try it?

Also, is the game gated by beating gyms? I just got to Misty's gym, but I'm wondering if I could just keep going until the next town if I wanted to or if it would stop me.

I think if you use the Moon Stone, it'll show your party and Unable/Able next to Pokemon that are able to use it.

Other than that, can't think of any way to tell.

Revven

it doesn't miss if you use an accuracy boosting item (X accuracy I think it is ?)
I think RBY speedruns abuse that fact

You also have to be faster than the other Pokemon for it to work. If you're not, then that strategy doesn't work unless you also use an X Speed.

Anyway, I just caught both Tauros and Scyther this afternoon just before I was going to give up on them. Nice! I'm going to insert Tauros into my current team, replacing Charizard. Scyther I'll just be keeping for transferring to Sun/Moon.

Basically 20 hours in at this point and I still only have 5 badges, simply because I had been trying to get certain Pokemon. I think I'm going to do the Pokemon Mansion next and then head to the Power Plant.

In these games, you're only ever gated (in terms of progression) by HMs and certain key items. After you've beaten Misty, you can go to Vermilion next as long as you've done Nugget Bridge and gotten the S.S Ticket as you need to get HM01, Cut, on the S.S Anne in Vermilion. I mean, you can skip Nugget Bridge and come back to it but you'll be gated from the 3rd gym until you get Cut.

It's after the first three gyms and you've gotten past Rock Tunnel that nothing really gates you other than needing the Poke Flute for the Snorlaxes (which forces you to do the Lavender Tower). It all depends on what you want to do after Rock Tunnel that will determine what is gated to you. For example, if you want to Surf to Cinnabar you need to do the following:

-Beat the Rocket Hideout in the Game Corner to get the Silph Scope
-Proceed to Lavender Tower to get the Poke Flute with your now obtained Silph Scope
-Either take Cycling Road to Fuchsia or the route from Lavender Town. Either way requires the Poke Flute for a Snorlax.
-Beat Koga, now you can surf from either Pallet Town to Cinnabar or Fuchsia to Seafoam Islands to Cinnabar.

So, it boils down to what I said: key items and HMs, which some gyms restrict you from using HMs outside of battles.

CassSept

Mostly, but not necessarily. There are gyms you have to beat to progress in the game and there are gyms which you can leave for later. The game is mostly about beating the gyms though, so keep that in mind.

Crayolan

Getting gym badges allows you to use HMs outside of battle which are necessary for progress.

In gen 1 though you can often go far past a gym before you actually hit a roadblock. The only case of beating a gym being directly tied to progress is the first gym and of course getting to the Pokemon League (which requires all 8 badges).

At that point, why both doing it just for multi?

What good is it to have it be a single player only thing?

They can give boss mons perfect IVs which your mons will never realistically have.

You also have to be faster than the other Pokemon for it to work. If you're not, then that strategy doesn't work unless you also use an X Speed.

Anyway, I just caught both Tauros and Scyther this afternoon just before I was going to give up on them. Nice! I'm going to insert Tauros into my current team, replacing Charizard. Scyther I'll just be keeping for transferring to Sun/Moon.

Basically 20 hours in at this point and I still only have 5 badges, simply because I had been trying to get certain Pokemon. I think I'm going to do the Pokemon Mansion next and then head to the Power Plant.

In these games, you're only ever gated (in terms of progression) by HMs and certain key items. After you've beaten Misty, you can go to Vermilion next as long as you've done Nugget Bridge and gotten the S.S Ticket as you need to get HM01, Cut, on the S.S Anne in Vermilion. I mean, you can skip Nugget Bridge and come back to it but you'll be gated from the 3rd gym until you get Cut.

It's after the first three gyms and you've gotten past Rock Tunnel that nothing really gates you other than needing the Poke Flute for the Snorlaxes (which forces you to do the Lavender Tower). It all depends on what you want to do after Rock Tunnel that will determine what is gated to you. For example, if you want to Surf to Cinnabar you need to do the following:

-Beat the Rocket Hideout in the Game Corner to get the Silph Scope
-Proceed to Lavender Tower to get the Poke Flute with your now obtained Silph Scope
-Either take Cycling Road to Fuchsia or the route from Lavender Town. Either way requires the Poke Flute for a Snorlax.
-Beat Koga, now you can surf from either Pallet Town to Cinnabar or Fuchsia to Seafoam Islands to Cinnabar.

So, it boils down to what I said: key items and HMs, which some gyms restrict you from using HMs outside of battles.

Mostly, but not necessarily. There are gyms you have to beat to progress in the game and there are gyms which you can leave for later. The game is mostly about beating the gyms though, so keep that in mind.

Well, you're going to hit a level cap restriction where your Pokemon don't listen to you, so technically the game is gated by gyms since you need the badges.

After you get through the Rock Tunnel, the game backs off and lets you run free for a little bit. You're still blocked off from fighting Sabrina and going to Fuschia until you do some things, but you're not being herded anywhere.

If you really wanted to, you can fight the next three Gym leaders after Surge in whatever order you want.

backlot

Well, you're going to hit a level cap restriction where your Pokemon don't listen to you, so technically the game is gated by gyms since you need the badges.

That is only for traded Pokemon. The game is gated by gyms in that you can't use HMs outside of battle without some of them and you need all the badges to reach Victory Road.

Revven

I was like Level 33-34 with most of my Pokemon before I fought Koga and I skipped Erika (fighting her after him) and all of my Pokemon obeyed me still except for the one I in-game traded for (Machamp). The level cap restrictions I believe are only for traded Pokemon.

It's most certainly not an ideal world if they remove IVs. It'd kill a massive part of Pokémon to capitulate to the vocal minority. The system just needs a bit of a rework so there's no such thing as a perfect Pokémon. Without IVs, the genetics of Pokémon, every wild version of the species would be the same. It'd be pointless. They shouldn't remove that just because hackers ruin it for everyone else. It'd kill trading, it'd kill breeding. It'd kill Pokémon.

You really thing that the majority of pokemon players around the world actually care deeply about IVs? And that Pokemon would be a dead franchise without them?

I think you need to reevaluate who you consider to be the majority of pokemon players. I think your view is currently extending only as far as the edge of your own bubble.

Kyzer

Banned
At that point, why both doing it just for multi?

What good is it to have it be a single player only thing?

What good is it to NOT be a single player only thing? Lol

Anything less than 31 IVs across the board and you are statistically at a disadvantage. And even if you accept that congratulations your "good enough" Pokemon was pretty much a waste of time and energy in multiplayer because 3 million newbs who don't give a shit about single player just hacked and cheated their way to snatching your soul online.

Even with breeding good IVs getting easy, which is great, its also kind of helped it becomeeven more pointless. Really what's the point of making everyone go through a mundane cyclical process in order to all achieve the same exact end result? It's not like people are looking for a diverse set of IV spreads. Everyone wants 31 IV in everything possible. It's redundant.

So it's like. They can't just hand us 31 IV/no IV Pokemon . ok. But if I just repeat this easy 30 minute boring ass process exploiting the hell out of mating my Pokemon I can have it? What's even the point lol. Treat IVs like levels on multiplayer and even the field for battle.

Find a different way to make Pokemon unique, even if with their stats.

Messd around a bit more with the Mew glitch in Cerulean, and I found out that doing it with the Hiker on the low path to Bills with 4 Geodudes would give me a Gengar! And since Gengar is a 3rd Evolution, I was able to get him to level 100!

Feels appropriate since Gengar was my first Pokemon card. Gonna enjoy having him in Sun/Moon

Yeah, it's just for Outsider Pokemon. It's a bit confusing, since the game's not terribly good at explaining it ("The CascadeBadge makes all Pokémon up to L30 obey! That includes even outsiders!"), and logically, it should apply to the pokemon you catch given the whole respect context.

Junahu

You're not meant to intuit Moon stone evolutions by any normal means, because they are an extraterrestrial ore that people don't fully understand yet. But you can safely guess that there are pokemon around and inside Mt Moon that evolve via the stone. Just randomly using it on the new pokemon you find there will reveal evolutions for
Jigglypuff and Clefairy.

As for
Nidorino/Nidorina
;
You get a slight hint from a trainer who is trying to evolve
Nidorino/Nidorina
, but has no idea how it's done. Most other evolutions are common knowledge, and all of the other evolution stones are commercial products. Giovanni is the only person with a
Nidoking and Nidoqueen
in their party, and his villainous team had previously stolen Moon stones from Mt Moon.

Wiseblade

What good is it to NOT be a single player only thing? Lol

Anything less than 31 IVs across the board and you are statistically at a disadvantage. And even if you accept that congratulations your "good enough" Pokemon was pretty much a waste of time and energy in multiplayer because 3 million newbs who don't give a shit about single player just hacked and cheated their way to snatching your soul online.

Even with breeding good IVs getting easy, which is great, its also kind of helped it becomeeven more pointless. Really what's the point of making everyone go through a mundane cyclical process in order to all achieve the same exact end result? It's not like people are looking for a diverse set of IV spreads. Everyone wants 31 IV in everything possible. It's redundant.

So it's like. They can't just hand us 31 IV/no IV Pokemon . ok. But if I just repeat this easy 30 minute boring ass process exploiting the hell out of mating my Pokemon I can have it? What's even the point lol. Treat IVs like levels on multiplayer and even the field for battle.

Find a different way to make Pokemon unique, even if with their stats.
Or Game Freak could improve their cheat detection. Outside of Speed in specific situations, the difference between 31 and 20 in a stat is almost negligible. My honest opinion is that if you're that desperate for perfection, you should be prepared to put in the graft. It doesn't even make that much of a difference.

Kyzer

Banned
Or Game Freak could improve their cheat detection. Outside of Speed in specific situations, the difference between 31 and 20 in a stat is almost negligible. My honest opinion is that if you're that desperate for perfection, you should be prepared to put in the graft. It doesn't even make that much of a difference.
I agree. A cheat-free environment would be amazing. Would give every Pokemon a lot more value and trades/battles would hold more weight

Junahu

Yeah, people grossly overestimate the effect of IVs on battling. They primarily affect damage ranges, which you shouldn't rely on as a competitive player.
It's a convenient scapegoat for people who have problems with team composition, or can't make accurate reads under pressure.

Kyzer

Banned
Yeah, people grossly overestimate the effect of IVs on battling. They primarily affect damage ranges, which you shouldn't rely on as a competitive player.
It's a convenient scapegoat for people who have problems with team composition, or can't make accurate reads under pressure.

They have an effect though, do they not? It might certainly be a scapegoat for someone out there who can't win and thinks it's the IV points (probably not though) but to me it's as simple as stats in an RPG game that are arbitrarily locked behind hours of eggs in order to be on the same level as people who hack.

I agree with wiseblade though if there were no hacking or cheating and they somehow patched pokebank to no longer support hacked mons even with xyoras then there wouldn't be any problems because everyone has the same work to do. Also it would be nice to just take any Pokemon (EV trained to taste of course) and battle without worrying about these stats

It's also just exacerbated by the sheer popularity of the franchise. Even if there's no hacking on a platform, once Pokemon releases on it, there will be soon.

Wiseblade

Yeah, out of EVS, IVs and Natures, IVs have the smallest stat influence. Unless you NEED to hit a specific threshold to guarantee a KO on a specific target or to survive a particular attack, you shouldn't care this much about IVs.

I know the majority of the complaints aren't coming from people operating at this level.

Top Bottom