• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

WPS

Does anyone know if you can evolve Pikachu other than your starter in Yellow? Pikachu is slightly easier to mew glitch than Raichu...

Dishwalla

Banned
Does anyone know if you can evolve Pikachu other than your starter in Yellow? Pikachu is slightly easier to mew glitch than Raichu...

As long as the Pikachu's ID doesn't match your Trainer ID then yes. Basically if the Pikachu doesn't follow you around and acts like a normal Pikachu then it should be fair game.

So I'm gonna be in Japan next month, is there anything special I can acquire with my USA copy of Pokemon Y? Via street pass/location/etc? Sorry I'm kind of a Pokemon noob so just checking.

Living in Japan with an American 3DS, I tried to redeem the 7-11 legendary distributions but I kept getting a message saying my "3DS" wasn't able to receive it. :(

WPS

As long as the Pikachu's ID doesn't match your Trainer ID then yes. Basically if the Pikachu doesn't follow you around and acts like a normal Pikachu then it should be fair game.

Wait, does that mean a Mew-glitched Pikachu would also follow you? Does it copy over its happiness stat? How would the game cope with two Pikachu in your party at once?

Yrael

Wait, does that mean a Mew-glitched Pikachu would also follow you? Does it copy over its happiness stat? How would the game cope with two Pikachu in your party at once?

It does follow you, yes. It will also refuse to evolve with a Thunder stone, because it shares your trainer ID. With two Pikachu in your party at once, I think it's the one that comes first in your party that follows you. You can use the "Q glitch" though to get it to evolve into Raichu (as explained by the video).

You can also evolve other Pikachu into Raichu if they are traded into your game from another file.

Dishwalla

Banned

The only Pikachu that will follow you is the one that matches your ID, it's possible to trade a Pikachu from Red or Blue and have it match your ID(though not likely), and of that was the case it would follow you too, though I believe your original Pikachu has to be boxed or possibly even released. If you use the Mew glitch to generate a different Pikachu I'm thinking that it should be the same as you trading for one, you have a slight chance of getting one that matches your ID but I think you'll probably just get a normal Pikachu. Not a hundred percent sure on that though, Yellow might not have Wild Pikachu's programmed in it that won't match your ID. There's only one way to know for sure, try it out and see what happens.

Edit: ^well there you go, interesting. Guess they didn't program true wild Pikachu into Yellow.

Caronte

I'm in for Pokemon Primeape version.
Can't wait to have those old TMs again like BODY SLAM and softboiled.

I've still got my Pokemon Master Guide laying around so I may bust it out for those Oak tips...
9FYmYBS.jpg

Masterball on a Tentacruel lol

Macka

I'm having a lot of fun with Yellow! Just beat Surge and got Squirtle from Officer Jenny. I need a good water type, so he's on the team for now.

vHwO6W1.png
UnkyqVU.png
ikwAwE2.png
8MFQIKl.png
9Wa9ixE.png
qiLDgPk.png

In all honesty I want to replace most of those when better options become available, though. Pidgeotto is absolutely terrible with Quick Attack still being his best move. Mankey is cool, but I've used it so many times in Kanto playthroughs over the years that it's a bit of a boring choice at this point. I'm going to persevere with the Pikachu though. I think Bellsprout will be a mainstay as well, as I adored Victreebel when I was a kid, and while I don't like it as much these days - what better way to rebuild some fondness for an old favourite?

I was tempted to use the gift Charmander, but decided to save it for my Red playthrough. I'm visiting a friend in a few months (who is also playing Yellow at the moment) and he wants us to play through our original versions together, so he'll be playing Blue. That means we should be able to get most of the exclusives too, and I really want to complete my Pokedex here and transfer it into Moon to replace my Kanto living dex.

Real Hero

Just got to Celadon City and my current team is

Venasaur
Celfable
Dugtrio
Mr Mime

and Farfetched and Voltord as my current HM salves. I'm thinking I need to water type and I'm probably going to use Shelder

L95

The only Pikachu that will follow you is the one that matches your ID, it's possible to trade a Pikachu from Red or Blue and have it match your ID(though not likely), and of that was the case it would follow you too, though I believe your original Pikachu has to be boxed or possibly even released. If you use the Mew glitch to generate a different Pikachu I'm thinking that it should be the same as you trading for one, you have a slight chance of getting one that matches your ID but I think you'll probably just get a normal Pikachu. Not a hundred percent sure on that though, Yellow might not have Wild Pikachu's programmed in it that won't match your ID. There's only one way to know for sure, try it out and see what happens.

Er, every pokemon you catch ingame will match your ID? That's the point of the ID, to identify that you caught it. Unless we're thinking of two different things.

Akoi

After playing this for a few hours it made me go out and buy fire red and platnium off eBay for the GBA and DS.. I am hooked!

Galdius

Just beat the Elite 4 and my rival with the following team:

Pidgeot - lvl 45
Alakazam - lvl 48
Blastoise - lvl 48
Mew - lvl 46
Gengar - lvl 43
Zapdos - lvl 50

I took 19h44m to get here.
Now I want to capture Mewtwo and Articuno.
Then I will see what I will do.

Cindro

I just cannot get this Mew glitch to trigger! Someone please tell me where I'm screwing up:

1. I fly to cerulean right before the ! pops up above the Gambler's head east of Celadon
2. I walk up nugget bridge and go fight the youngster with the Slowpoke, ensuring I approach it from the top of the screen so he has to walk up to me, and then defeat him
3. I walk back down nugget bridge

Isn't the pause menu supposed to automatically open at step 3? Because it doesn't, meaning the Mew battle is a no-go

Feels bad man :(

Vuapol

And at long last, after reaching Fuchsia and the Safari Zone, I have completed my team. I managed to get Scyther on the first Safari Ball I threw, and he was like the fourth Pokemon I ran into on my first trip, which is far from what I was expecting. Scyther with Slash crits every time without fail, which is insane. Still having a blast.

This is my team as I prepare to challenge Koga.

Wartortle Lv. 34
Nidoking Lv. 33
Hitmonlee Lv. 35
Marowak Lv. 32
Snorlax Lv. 32
Scyther Lv. 32

eefara

I just cannot get this Mew glitch to trigger! Someone please tell me where I'm screwing up:

1. I fly to cerulean right before the ! pops up above the Gambler's head east of Celadon
2. I walk up nugget bridge and go fight the youngster with the Slowpoke, ensuring I approach it from the top of the screen so he has to walk up to me, and then defeat him
3. I walk back down nugget bridge

Isn't the pause menu supposed to automatically open at step 3? Because it doesn't, meaning the Mew battle is a no-go

Feels bad man :(

You have to go back to the route with the Gambler on it for your start menu to pop up again. The reason why most in this thread are saying to go back to Nugget Bridge is because the trainer they were fleeing from is that kid in the grass to the left of the bridge. You have to return to the route where the trainer you fled from is.

Cindro

You have to go back to the route with the Gambler on it for your start menu to pop up again. The reason why most in this thread are saying to go back to Nugget Bridge is because the trainer they were fleeing from is that kid in the grass to the left of the bridge. You have to return to the route where the trainer you fled from is.
Oh, awesome! So if I just fly back to Celadon and start walking toward the gambler, it should work? Do I have to battle him?

eefara

Oh, awesome! So if I just fly back to Celadon and start walking toward the gambler, it should work? Do I have to battle him?

Yeah, just enter the route, from either side, and your menu will pop up. There's no need to battle the gambler, so you can continually use him to glitch Pokemon.

I actually don't remember if you can fly by that point (after battling the Youngster), though I'm like 90% certain you can.

Velcro Fly

Added Vaporeon to my Yellow team

Lost to Koga because Venomoth is level 50 and hax crit and evaded everything. Finally said fuck it and just had Hypno wreck the entire gym.

At that point in the game where you can literally clear out like 5 routes full of trainers and the Silph building before fighting Sabrina.

Seibmoz

With the mew glitch do I have to defeat the trainer or if I want to use his first Pokemon to glitch can I just faint and it still work?

Er, every pokemon you catch ingame will match your ID? That's the point of the ID, to identify that you caught it. Unless we're thinking of two different things.
Yup a Pikachu you caught in Yellow using Mew glitch will act like the starter Pikachu.

Well just beat Giovanni in Silph so moving on to Sabrina.

I'm using all three starters for my first party and after that I'll train my real team after the Elite Four.

eefara

With the mew glitch do I have to defeat the trainer or if I want to use his first Pokemon to glitch can I just faint and it still work?

You can just faint. The glitch works off of the Special stat of the last Pokemon you saw in battle; you don't actually have to win the fight.

Kinokou

Odd, I have vent from what I considered way under leveled after finishing the third gym to over leveled for the Rocket hideout, and I have avoided wild pokemon battles (except for when going trough the Rock Tunnel). Is that supposed to happen? Should I expect the level curve to drop out under my feet at any moment?

Macka

Just made it through Rock Tunnel, and then rushed through some areas to get to the Fighting Dojo in Saffron, because I wanted Hitmonlee ASAP. They were much higher leveled, but my Lv26-28 team managed to take the Master out. Pikachu's Thunderbolt did work. Now to go back and fight all the trainers I skipped lol.

pODwtgt.png
NrNprhE.png
ziTxc1K.png
vUBqMRG.png
YrOC0X3.png
7aDsYvy.png

Replaced Pidgeotto with Doduo. Replaced Mankey with Hitmonlee.

Evolved Nidorino at Lv23 to get Thrash on Nidoking. I'm keeping Bellsprout unevolved for now so I can get Razor Leaf faster.

Pretty happy with the team now, although I have my mind set on swapping someone out a little later on.

Playing Yellow.
Just wrecked Silph Co floor by floor and about to head to either Sabrina's Gym or Cinnabar Island for my 6th badge.

Current Squad:

Dragonair lvl 33
Mew lvl 33
Kadabra lvl 41
Charizard lvl 38
Blastoise lvl 37
Zapdos lvl 50 (going to swap him for Jolteon eventually lol but it's a nice hit sponge)

Also have Nidoking lvl 34, Snorlax lvl 32, Bulbasaur lvl 10, and about five more Dratini in storage. Was farming them in safari zone this morning. Planning on importing to Moon and Sun so I can start training them early. I always need one on my team and have to spend extra time training them specifically near the midpoint/end of badges. And I'm prob gonna just import Bulbasaur into Moon and Sun too.

I really hope they give is GSC next. I want them all. Collecting the Japanese Retro boxes too. Order Yellow, Red, and Blue. Going to order Green soon. I want the GSC retro boxes too!

I was tempted to use the gift Charmander, but decided to save it for my Red playthrough. I'm visiting a friend in a few months (who is also playing Yellow at the moment) and he wants us to play through our original versions together, so he'll be playing Blue. That means we should be able to get most of the exclusives too, and I really want to complete my Pokedex here and transfer it into Moon to replace my Kanto living dex.

If you're going to have a friend and both start Red and Blue at the same time, you can just have one person start a game, pick a starter, trade it to the other player once you're able to trade, start a new game, pick a different starter, trade, and repeat that cycle until both of you have 3 of each. You just have to designate one person as the "reseter" and have the other person catch a bunch of Pidgey and Rattata to trade.

Then you can use yellow Charmander however you want.

Good lord, Mews catch rate is ridiculous. I'm on my 3rd attempt of catching it with 13 Pokeballs and it's PAR and at as low health i can safely get it

eefara

Quickly ran through Koga so I could surf to Cinnabar and grab Aerodactyl. Final member of my team is finally here, so I can proceed through the game as normal. My plan's pretty much a straightforward Silph -> Sabrina -> Blaine -> Giovanni -> E4 now.

Solidsoul

Banned
In my anxiousness to get Mew I swapped out Gust with Fly on my pidgeotto. Is gust gone forever and is my pidgeotto now doomed?

I caught it on my second ball. Maybe you could try to get it asleep.

It took me three I think. I'm not even sure I paralyzed it or used sleep powder. Just knocked his hp to the red zone. I was definitely lucky.

Sleep is probably more effective since it can't fight back.

Vibranium

Banned
Been playing Blue off and on the last few days. Should I roll with Spearow instead of Pidgey? I read some stuff online that it is the better choice.

Gold and Silver were my first Pokemon games but I played Gen 1 right after so this is totally a trip down memory lane.

WadeitOut

Dear Diary,

It's day 3. I'm still waiting for Nintendo to transfer my NNID account to my NN3DS so I can play this game. I must remain resolute.

~ WadeIt0ut

Dear Diary,

It's day 3. I'm still waiting for Nintendo to transfer my NNID account to my NN3DS so I can play this game. I must remain resolute.

~ WadeIt0ut

If you submitted the request on Friday, then I'm afraid to inform you that it goes by business days.

I used to help field those requests, so...yeah.

WadeitOut

If you submitted the request on Friday, then I'm afraid to inform you that it goes by business days.

I used to help field those requests, so...yeah.

Yeah I know. Unfortunately I thought when you formatted the NN3DS and it unlinks the NNID, I didn't know that it meant you still could only relink it to that same device unless you did a complete transfer.

I really can't wait until Nintendo is officially off of these convoluted account policies.

Top Bottom