• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

Also X/Y has many areas that we have no idea what to do, or what triggers their events, so maybe people should try exploring more?

We've got the power plants, all the secret cave rooms, and especially big is the mysterious item that we are told comes from none of the other regions.

Yeah, there's a lot of secrets in X/Y that we don't have clear answers to yet. One of the downsides of not being able to mine the game.

bjTZZUp.jpg

If that was intentional, someone at GF is a god damn genius.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
As someone that's not hardcore into Pokemon (I have 6 hours of game time in Silver and that's it), would it be worth picking up X/Y or should I just stick to Silver? If it's considered the definitive version by the hardcore Pokemon fans, I'm really keen to give it a go.

As someone that's not hardcore into Pokemon (I have 6 hours of game time in Silver and that's it), would it be worth picking up X/Y or should I just stick to Silver? If it's considered the definitive version by the hardcore Pokemon fans, I'm really keen to give it a go.

If you can stand the wait, hold out for Z.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I am very seriously tempted to run out and buy Y after I beat X just to go through the game again with another team. As much as I hate the idea of paying $40 just for a second save file, this is by far the most fun I've had with a Pokemon game since RSE and the sheer number of Pokemon available in the game means that there's pretty much unparalleled replay value for the main story.
Gens ago I always bought both versions, one whose save file I never reset and kept all of my trained/rare/etc. pokemon on and one that I reset for replay purposes whenever I felt the need.

Good idea? Or is the postgame meaty enough that I'll be occupied for a while?

Ogimachi

Silver as the definitive version? Really? I didn't know about that, I would've bet on Crystal or some other third version.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
yea ill probably look into it. If im gonna put the time and effort in to breed natures and super train, i might as well do it right and breed for ivs too.

Gen 7 he will be wearing sweat bands and curling dumbbells.

Aww, I don't want to wait that long for Mega Snorlax!

Berordn

edit: BW2 wasn't that big on postgame either I feel. The new areas weren't substantial. But it did have the Pokemon Tournament and GF did a good job hitting my nostalgia nerves.

Alright I'll concede. BW2 had an okay postgame, not decent so I won't list it with other 3.

I'm going to have to stop you there. B2/W2 had:

• A bunch of postgame dungeons (admittedly most of them returning from B/W) with new trainers, Pokemon, and puzzles
  • Special battles against Alder, N, Cynthia, Cheren and Bianca, Pokemon League rematches and a number of other special trainers
  • A number of new areas with a total explorable postgame close to rivaling HG/SS
  • Additional activities for PWT, Battle Subway and Pokestar Studios
  • 13 Legendary Pokemon to hunt, not including the game's box legendary and its two prerequisites
  • A lot more classic Pokemon hiding around Unova and the unlockable Nature Preserve (with free Haxorus)
  • Redesigned Black City/White Forest with infinite dungeon, special bosses and unique rewards
It might not be as much as HG/SS, but it's just as much - if not more - than Platinum and Emerald.

Sigmaah

Got my Timid Lampent but I can tell that it's iv's fucking suck comparing it to the other lampents. Fuck that, I can't keep looking for more lampents lmao. So can I breed litwicks and hope for better iv's or no?

Also, Larvesta anyone?

ohlawd

It might not be as much as HG/SS, but it's just as much - if not more - than Platinum and Emerald.

Geh you got me there but I'm totally basing my postgame qualifcations off Emerald's.

I'm essentially judging all Pokemon games based on their Battle Facilities. Obviously Emerald is king here.

That other stuff doesn't do shit for me, honestly.

Dryk

Honey makes pokemon appear in hordes, which is an entirely different set of evolutions on the later routes (usually the pre evolutions of the pokemon on the same route), which means I dont need to go through the trouble of breeding all of those pokemon who dont normally appear in the non-horde encounters, but I am also having the hunch that some pokemon ONLY appear in hordes or at least more often in the pre evolution horde encounter than the normal one.
This is all true, but I've been having the opposite experience as you. For me Sweet Scent = Horde, Honey = Random Encounter...

Also as far as I'm aware each Combee will roll for its ability after each battle. Also apparently the chance increases with level from 5% at level 1 to 50% at level 91+... never knew that

what do you guys reckon the early single battle (OU) metagame will be like?

do we even use OU rules on neogaf?

I hope not. I understand the tier system and recognize that it has a place but it leads to a lot of formulaic and unimaginative teams.

yea ill probably look into it. If im gonna put the time and effort in to breed natures and super train, i might as well do it right and breed for ivs too.

Not even going to worry about breeding IVs for gen 6 until some decent gen 6 IV calculators have been drawn up.

Berordn

Geh you got me there but I'm totally basing my postgame qualifcations off Emerald's.

I'm essentially judging all Pokemon games based on their Battle Facilities. Obviously Emerald is king here.

That other stuff doesn't do shit for me, honestly.

Totally fair, and they've been noticeably skimping on that. I miss Battle Frontier, the replacements they've brought up can only go so far.

entremet

• A bunch of postgame dungeons (admittedly most of them returning from B/W) with new trainers, Pokemon, and puzzles
  • Special battles against Alder, N, Cynthia, Cheren and Bianca, Pokemon League rematches and a number of other special trainers
  • A number of new areas with a total explorable postgame close to rivaling HG/SS
  • 13 Legendary Pokemon to hunt, not including the game's box legendary and its two prerequisites
  • A lot more classic Pokemon hiding around Unova and the unlockable Nature Preserve (with free Haxorus)
  • Redesigned Black City/White Forest with infinite dungeon, special bosses and unique rewards

Yep B/W2 had an incredible post game.

What did HGSS have?

Kanto
Red
Gym Leader and E4 rematches
Pokeathlon

What else?

Dryk

Not even going to worry about breeding IVs for gen 6 until some decent gen 6 IV calculators have been drawn up.
Hatch 5 eggs, put them all in your party. Save, battle with exp share on for a bit, pick the best one and reset. That's what I did for my Clauncher.

clemenx

Banned
Oh my god. I hate this game so much.

I've barely played Pokemon, it feels as if I bought "Pokemon Super Training X version" ;_; Why is shooting a soccer ball at balloons this addictive?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
what do you guys reckon the early single battle (OU) metagame will be like?

do we even use OU rules on neogaf?

Well a lot of the OU was weather based. With the massive nerf that got, things are going to be shaken up quite a bit. I have no idea how mega evolutions are going to affect it.

JackHerer

BW2 had an amazing post-game imo. The best in the series I think. I did not enjoy Black and White that much but I loved BW2 and I think the additional post-game content had a lot to do with that. I just replayed Heart Gold all the way through to beating Red on a Nuzlocke challenge (took over 100 hours) and even though it may have Kanto, I still think BW2's post game is much, much better. Kanto in HGSS is actually pretty boring because the wild pokemon selection is dull and the level curve is all screwed up. It just feels like a grind to me.

I'm starting my second playthrough, Y this time instead of X. Was trying to think of something to make this playthrough more interesting without being restrictive and I decided to go with a supernatural themed team. I'm only gonna use psychic, dark, and ghost pokemon: :)

Shoyz

Oh my god. I hate this game so much.
I've barely played Pokemon, it feels as if I bought "Pokemon Super Training X version" ;_; Why is shooting a soccer ball at balloons this addictive?

I was bored out of my mind of that minigame after the 3rd time playing it. Max EVing one Pokemon and I feel like puking at the thought of doing another, definitely EV training the normal way from now on..

It's interesting that you can technically just punch the punching bag to max EVs though, you never need to fight or soccer.

Boken

Banned
I hope not. I understand the tier system and recognize that it has a place but it leads to a lot of formulaic and unimaginative teams.

not sure what you mean. if theres no tier system, then you are playing "ubers", which is still a "tier"

Teknoman

I was bored out of my mind of that minigame after the 3rd time playing it. Max EVing one Pokemon and I feel like puking at the thought of doing another, definitely EV training the normal way from now on..

It's interesting that you can technically just punch the punching bag to max EVs though, you never need to fight or soccer.

True. Is there a cap on how many vitamins you can use, or could you max EV that way too?

And now i'm stuck super training my Pokemon since I wasted reset bags on them. Then again, I guess it's better to have at least one 6 poke EV trained team ready while im leveling everyone else.

Just got surf damn it...I want to explore.

I think I might seriously use my PC as my avatar here, GF really outdid themselves as far as customization.

Although I'd need to pick a single outfit. :x

Mr. Fix

Would it be fine if I skipped Black 1 and go straight into Black 2? The only reason why I'd want to go back is to see how Alder, Ghetsis and N play into the story (so not a huge deal, lol). No extra content is lost between the two?

clemenx

Banned
True. Is there a cap on how many vitamins you can use, or could you max EV that way too?

And now i'm stuck super training my Pokemon since I wasted reset bags on them. Then again, I guess it's better to have at least one 6 poke EV trained team ready while im leveling everyone else.

Just got surf damn it...I want to explore.

If things haven't changed you can't use more than 10 vitamins per stat

jrDev

So I hate Fennekins evos...they are especially so feminine for a male one i have...is there a way to not have to keep tapping b after a level up to prevent evolution? Like something permanent?

CaLe

Never played any Pokemon game, but ever since I got married I've been looking for simple games that I can play before bed... I just don't have time to play games for hours on end anymore.

I guess I'm just afraid that the game will be too easy or too "childish". I know that anyone can play Pokemon games regardless of age, and I really want to give this one a try.

Anyone else was in my position and is enjoying the game ?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Never played any Pokemon game, but ever since I got married I've been looking for simple games that I can play before bed... I just don't have time to play games for hours on end anymore.

I guess I'm just afraid that the game will be too easy or too "childish". I know that anyone can play Pokemon games regardless of age, and I really want to give this one a try.

If you don't abuse EXP share, it won't be too easy. The bigger problem for you will be finding time to play it.

Drago

Reposting from spoiler thread (this isn't even a spoiler tbh :V)

OK, is there a definitive way to get the guy in stone emporium to lower his mega stone prices? People say it changes every day but it was $500k for Venasaurite three days straight and I gave in and coughed it up.

Now he wants the same amount for Charizardite Y and I'm not gonna pay it. What can I do??

Teknoman

Once you start playing...you'll end up playing hours on end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom