• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I don't think a massive new QE3 will help the economy," Romney told CNN's Gloria Borger last month. Bernanke is in some ways an unlikely target for conservatives--he is a Republican first appointed to the Fed by President George W. Bush.

This Tuesday, Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., who sits on the Banking Committee, issued a statement urging Bernanke not to launch a third round of bond-buying. "I hope Chairman Bernanke will show humility and make clear there are limits to what monetary policy can achieve," Corker said, adding that QE3 would "only be exacerbating the [economic] problem."

Love how people with no background or essentially any idea about actual economics feel they can be in a position to tell what one of the world's most well-known economists should do.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Love how people with no background or essentially any idea about actual economics feel they can be in a position to tell what one of the world's most well-known economists should do.

My biggest problem with politicians is that they believe themselves to be experts in fields that they in fact have no formal training or expertise.

Some dude on Dutch TV talking about how the Fed's actions will cause inflation as if it's going to be the end of the world.
My biggest problem with politicians is that they believe themselves to be experts in fields that they in fact have no formal training or expertise.
We expect them to (pretend to) be experts though. If they don't at least pretend to know what they're talking about, it's game over.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Some dude on Dutch TV talking about how the Fed's actions will cause inflation as if it's going to be the end of the world.

It might eventually, but given that QE1 and QE2 did not, and that the fed can sell the assets it purchased and destroy the money again if it looks like it could be a problem, I'm not terribly worried.

The fact is the US economy is producing inside the production possibilities frontier (IE, under capacity). And QE is about the only tool left to address it.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about too. A coordinated effort by the GOP all the way down to the state level to file lawsuits and such claiming voter fraud and whatnot.

Case in point, I can't help but think that Gov. Scott looks at FL polling and shrugs it off knowing he has a plan B.

I'm not worried about that. The issue here is that republicans have clearly taken the position that there is no way Obama can possibly win this election; he might as well not show up on the ballot. Every poll that is released showing Obama with a lead is dismissed as fake, a fraud, etc.

So if Obama wins, the far right's argument will become quite clear. Sure they'll complain about Romney not being a Real Conservative, but they will also begin questioning the election results. There will be a new focus on some group or person who will be compared to Acorn, and Fox will run with it; whether mainstream GOPers do too remains to be seen.

Does anyone honestly think Dick Morris will be so shamed by an Obama victory that no one will ever listen to him again? An Obama win would bolster his credibility in the eyes of many people - ie Morris called it right (again) but voter fraud stole the election for Obama (again)

I didn't mean to imply I was agreeing with him, it got a chuckle out of me seeing them doom and gloom. It's as if people haven't been paying attention to the situation in the US and now pretend to be Nostradamus.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I didn't mean to imply I was agreeing with him, it got a chuckle out of me seeing them doom and gloom. It's as if people haven't been paying attention to the situation in the US and now pretend to be Nostradamus.

The guy was probably an inflation hawk, it's best to ignore those. They always think $1000 bread is a week away, no worse bunch of chicken littles. Even Diablos and PD can't compare. Every econ teacher I've ever had just said to ignore them and they'll leave you alone.

Guevara

Why is Ann Romney on Cavuto politicking against the Prez and commenting on Libya etc.? This seems desperate

Man I don't usually like to say stuff like this but is there anyone in the world who values Ann's opinion on something like Libya? Did she secretly do a mail-order masters in international relations while being a stay at home mom? charity liaison?

Jackson50

I presume this is snark, but if it isn't, at 78k last year, I was in the 72nd percentile.
Hm, borderline out of touch.
It might eventually, but given that QE1 and QE2 did not, and that the fed can sell the assets it purchased and destroy the money again if it looks like it could be a problem, I'm not terribly worried.

The fact is the US economy is producing inside the production possibilities frontier (IE, under capacity). And QE is about the only tool left to address it.
There's only one tool to fully fix the problem. But Washington's asleep on the job. And by that I mean Republican obduracy is killing the economy.

Miletius

IS desperate.

Things are only going to get uglier from here on out.

I wouldn't call it desperate, planned makes more sense to me. This is how they always planned to win the election -- from here on out they are throwing everything they have at gaining the lead. The situation in Libya just happens to be front and center now.

The topic itself may be desperate, but lets not kid ourselves, this is how it was meant to go all along.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Voting third party this election guys, sorry. Won't matter anyway, I live in deep red Nebraska (incidentally right outside of light blue/light red Nebraska.

So, the longer these protests continue, is that good or bad for Obama?

I hope this being Friday is the worst we see of them, so the embassy staff are safe.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hm, borderline out of touch.There's only one tool to fully fix the problem. But Washington's asleep on the job. And by that I mean Republican obduracy is killing the economy.

Of course, the Fed only has one tool left though.

I think you should generally see a rallying effect around the President.
As long as nobody is dying and no embassies are breached (I'm assuming that all the vulnerable ones have been properly secured by now) it won't be on the news much anymore. I doubt Americans care about brown people protesting as long as nobody is dying anyway. The Libya incident were actual deaths, the rest will be your regular run of the mill protests and I don't see why the general population will care.

RDreamer

I think you should generally see a rallying effect around the President.

Generally yes. I think that's what Romney was trying to prevent. I think no matter the loss he took on it he was probably trying to prevent the gain that Obama may have got from the rally around the flag effect. I think that's why he did his stupid crap so hastily. He was trying to get a muddled message out ahead of that.

I found one!

R4OXOl.jpg

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Generally yes. I think that's what Romney was trying to prevent. I think no matter the loss he took on it he was probably trying to prevent the gain that Obama may have got from the rally around the flag effect. I think that's why he did his stupid crap so hastily. He was trying to get a muddled message out ahead of that.

You are giving them too much credit. His campaign doesn't plan on putting on their shoes after their pants.

pigeon

Banned

The correct way to do this would be to wait for Obama to make a statement or something and then criticize whatever he decides to do. Obama sends 50 Marines to Libya? Well, why weren't they there earlier? Obama sends two warships to the Gulf? Is that a demonstration of our diplomatic incapacity, that we need gunboats to do Hillary's work for her? Even a criticism of Obama's non-engagement policy with the Middle East would land pretty effectively right now, as people continue to protest. It could easily be taken as a demonstration of America's perceived weakness due to our appeasement policies. And, honestly, that's what I was most worried about -- because this is actually a pretty lousy time, politically, for a terrorist attack on an American embassy and a bunch of violent protests in the Middle East.

But instead of planning his attack, Romney got out in front of the story, and it ran him over.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The correct way to do this would be to wait for Obama to make a statement or something and then criticize whatever he decides to do. Obama sends 50 Marines to Libya? Well, why weren't they there earlier? Obama sends two warships to the Gulf? Is that a demonstration of our diplomatic incapacity, that we need gunboats to do Hillary's work for her? Even a criticism of Obama's non-engagement policy with the Middle East would land pretty effectively right now, as people continue to protest. It could easily be taken as a demonstration of America's perceived weakness due to our appeasement policies. And, honestly, that's what I was most worried about -- because this is actually a pretty lousy time, politically, for a terrorist attack on an American embassy and a bunch of violent protests in the Middle East.

But instead of planning his attack, Romney got out in front of the story, and it ran him over.

I am forwarding this to Romney campaign, BRB.

pigeon

Banned
I am forwarding this to Romney campaign, BRB.

Tell them I'm currently available for employment due to the Obamaeconomy.

edit: Incidentally, you'll note that this is more or less what a bunch of Republicans did -- it's a tragedy, attack on America, of course this raises some troubling questions about the Administration's course but today is not the time for politics when all our hearts should be with the families of those who were lost, God bless America.

kehs

Banned
Voter fraud helping Obama win narrative getting more traction

Give me a break. My brain can't deal with that kind of stupidity! There has to be an explanation for the madness. :(

“There’s a lot of people out now around America who depend on checks from their fellow taxpayers being in the mailbox every day,” Bauer said. “They will turn out in massive numbers, but so will the entrepreneurs, the small businessmen and women, the military families, the soldiers in harms way, the millions of Americans that want to hope again.”

His statement fell a little flat since Obeezy is doing pretty well with those folks.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Averon

So the excuse of Obama winning is already forming.

"No No No. He didn't win legitimately; the voters did not reject our ideas and ideology!. He only won because of vote fraud and lazy welfare queens!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom