• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

I do hope for the best for Vermont's single payer system, but I worry. Seems like such a freakishly huge headache to try and figure all that out for just a state and not for the whole country. The interactions with federal programs and just the fact that the base isn't as large as it could be could mean it just doesn't work quite as well as it could. I just hope it doesn't fail for some of those reasons and give people a bad idea of the system, though I doubt it'll do that.

Also every time I mention Vermont to my wife now she wants to move there until she once again realizes it's even more north of us.

Yep, gonna be fun watching him answer if he knew about this:

Probably not something that would some up in the Presidential Daily Briefing, right?

Not that I would expect any "journalist" to actually ask about it.

And yet 9/11 still happened. We went into Iraq, the whole weapons of mass destruction thing, etc. Sorry we have a president who likes to read the reports rather than have them read to him like Bush. I'm sure Bush's briefings had a fuckin puppet show too.

Keep fucking that chicken.

Wray

Quick question.

Does the Supreme Court have the power to rule that lobbying is unconstitutional, therefore outright banning it from federal government?

markatisu

CHEEZMO™;42142227 said:
Kosmo what's it like not having any opinions or viewpoints of your own?

Why ask, he will drop another gem of wisdom then checkout for 2-3 pages while we debate it and he sits back

RawGJ.png

Ryan spoke at a conference before this guy, today. haha.

Maddow talked about this. Apparently this dude claims Obama is saying muslim prayers during the pledge of allegiance. Fucking nutcases.

http://www.valuesvotersummit.org/speakers

Wray

Well I suppose as long as they came up with a decent enough reason...

I'm asking because I was having a discussion with a friend earlier today and he was playing the typical left=right card and was complaining how lobbying and money needs to get out of politics. I explained to him the only that is going to happen is if the Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional.

Trakdown

Quick question.

Does the Supreme Court have the power to rule that lobbying is unconstitutional, therefore outright banning it from federal government?

I'm struggling to think of what part of the constitution this violates...maybe the 14th amendment, but it's hard to argue that since the average American could conceivably do the same things they do. I think it'd have to be ruled illegal first, and that's a 1st amendment issue just waiting to happen. You'd probably need a constitutional amendment for it.

Gotchaye

I do hope for the best for Vermont's single payer system, but I worry. Seems like such a freakishly huge headache to try and figure all that out for just a state and not for the whole country. The interactions with federal programs and just the fact that the base isn't as large as it could be could mean it just doesn't work quite as well as it could. I just hope it doesn't fail for some of those reasons and give people a bad idea of the system, though I doubt it'll do that.

Also every time I mention Vermont to my wife now she wants to move there until she once again realizes it's even more north of us.

Actually, it's that last thing that kind of worries me. I'm not sure what sorts of residency requirements they have, but it's easy to imagine that people with especially high health care costs might be more likely to move to Delaware now. There are plenty of systems that would be very workable on a national level but which would have huge adverse selection problems on a state level. State taxes are much less progressive than federal taxes for similar reasons.

Jonm1010

Banned
Disgusting.

If Obama wins this he will have defeated big business, the GOP, and the AIPAC/Israel crowd at the same time.

And what does it say about the state of our country and Israel that a guy who is pretty much a modern day Eisenhower Republican is so vehemently despised and hated by these groups?

Amazing in every sense of the world, but incredibly challenging, both in a financial and time/energy sense. Wouldn't trade it for the world, despite the potty training phase we are in right now.

I cannot kill my friend. Kill my friend

You got a boy? The easiest way to teach him to pee standing up, no bullshit, is to throw cheerios in the toilet and have him aim.

And I feel you on the economics. I make more than I used to now, and I do feel a difference, but I still seem to come close to not having shit at the end of the month because things came up. And I've lived super poor before. Everything seems to scale to a point where you feel you can't really ever get out from under it sometimes.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Citing a wave of angry backlash, a Kansas man on Friday withdrew a petition in which he argued that President Obama should be removed from the state’s election ballot because he did not meet citizenship requirements.

Damn Damn Damn. Was hoping they would push this.

Trakdown

No one is better at “striking heroic poses against imaginary adversaries” than Obama, Ryan said.

“Nobody is better at rebuking non-existent opinions. Barack Obama does this all the time, and in this campaign, we are going to call him on it,” he added

151014655_610x407.jpg

Cloudy

Banned
I was thinking of this today. Romney and Ryan had been allowed to lie incessantly with little media pushback to their face till recently. That's why Romney did that press conference. He didn't anticipate that kind of reaction at all.

I'm sure they calculated it'd be an easy drive-by attack on Obama that would get repeated in the media with "he said, she said" coverage.

The fact that Romney had the audacity to pre-empt the president (with a slanderous attack no less) on this kind of issue shows how badly the media has failed to hold him accountable this election cycle.

Out of all the shit that bugs me about the republican platform, it's the persecution complex and the victimhood bullshit they love pulling out REGULARLY.

I was thinking of this today. Romney and Ryan had been allowed to lie incessantly with little media pushback to their face till recently. That's why Romney did that press conference. He didn't anticipate that kind of reaction at all.

I'm sure they calculated it'd be an easy drive-by attack on Obama that would get repeated in the media with "he said, she said" coverage.

The fact that Romney had the audacity to pre-empt the president (with a slanderous attack no less) on this kind of issue shows how badly the media has failed to hold him accountable this election cycle.

A big part of Ryan as the VP choice, imo, has to do with the fact that he's intrinsically linked with the tea party. Those people will NEVER believe anything good about democrats, and especially the President. It's basically Romney using Ryan to lie in the way that Romney can't because he still wants to try and court undecided voters. The tea party will never fact check or second guess the shit coming out of Ryan's mouth, so he's basically going to be the pitbull of bullshit for that ticket going forward.

Trakdown

Out of all the shit that bugs me about the republican platform, it's the persecution complex and the victimhood bullshit they love pulling out REGULARLY.

Good luck talking about how strong you'll be as a foreign policy leader while complaining that the mean ol' media (or for Rush's followers, EVERYBODY) keeps being mean to you and it's totally unfair and stuff.

Clevinger

http://www.mediaite.com/online/nora...nos-another-lesson-with-rob-portman-stuffage/

Oh the things I'd like to do to Norah O'Donnell. <3

Though I think Kelly O'Donnell is the hotter of the two O'Donnells.

His mopey body language/voice screams "Oh god, why the fuck am I doing this again? That asshole didn't even call me to tell me I didn't get to be veep slot. His son did. Who the fuck does that? And I have to push this bullshit lie. God damn it."

Also, she could have handled it better. Right after she corrected him, he went straight back to the lie and repeated it like three times.

RDreamer

http://www.mediaite.com/online/nora...nos-another-lesson-with-rob-portman-stuffage/

Oh the things I'd like to do to Norah O'Donnell. <3

Though I think Kelly O'Donnell is the hotter of the two O'Donnells.

Jesus christ he just keeps fucking that chicken and plowing through with his lie. She pointed out the statement came before any sort of attacks or even the protests and he keeps saying "It's simple, the first response to an attack shouldn't be an apology." Goddamn I'd have wanted to ring his stupid neck if I were her.

Cloudy

Banned
Also, she could have handled it better. Right after she corrected him, he went straight back to the lie and repeated it like three times.

She was being polite. The media in this country doesn't like to embarrass politicians to their face. A UK reporter would have grilled him till he broke down

Forever

Banned
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/14/poll-bill-clinton-is-more-popular-than-ever/

15graphic-1-blog480.png

Former President Bill Clinton is more popular now than at any time during the 20 years since his emergence as a presidential candidate, with two-thirds of registered voters viewing him favorably, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

In the wake of his rallying speech to Democrats at the party&#8217;s convention last week and his new role as a top-surrogate for President Obama&#8217;s campaign in battleground states, only 25 percent of voters have a negative view of him. His ratings are higher than they were during any year of his two-term presidency that was marred by the impeachment scandal, according to two decades of Times/CBS News polls.

Coming in at a close second for Mr. Obama is his wife, Michelle. Sixty-one percent of all voters surveyed have a favorable opinion of Mrs. Obama, with just 19 percent holding a negative opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom