• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
When people were hammering him on his low tax rate and his offshore accounts his excuse was that he pays all taxes legally required and that he didn't think someone who pays more than legally required should be qualified to be president. Well, with this year's taxes he clearly paid more than legally required (in order to keep it above his 13% "promose," and thus according to his own words he isn't qualified to be president.

Oh, holy shit lol.

I was thinking about some legal qualification or something. Thanks.

Mitt Romney: That's not...that's not the campaign. That was me, right? I-- that's not a campaign.

rage.jpg

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Scott Pelley: Well-- as you know, a lot of people were concerned about the video of the fundraiser in which you talked about the 47 percent of the American people who don't pay taxes. Peggy Noonan, a very well-known conservative columnist, said that it was an example of this campaign being incompetent. And I wonder if any of that criticism gets through to you and whether you're concerned about it at all, whether--

Mitt Romney: Well, that's not--

Scott Pelley: --the concerns of Republicans--

Mitt Romney: That's not...that's not the campaign. That was me, right? I-- that's not a campaign.

Scott Pelley: You are the campaign--

Mitt Romney: I've got a very effective campaign. It's doing a very good job.

:lol

I feel bad for Rmoneynator at this point. Like Mccain at the end of the road when Sarah Pailin was getting railed by media left and right. Poor guy is done for. I think he just wants to take his ball and go home at this point.

Clevinger

Scott Pelley: You are the campaign--

Mitt Romney: I've got a very effective campaign. It's doing a very good job. But not everything I say is elegant. And I want to make it very clear, I want to help 100 percent of the American people.

God, how I wish Pelley would have followed up:

"But you said, and I quote, 'my job is not to worry about those people.'"

And then there's this:

So it's an average of his tax rates, irrespective of the base of income it's on. In other words, a straight average, rather than a weighted average. The question is, what is the tax rate Romney paid on his income over that 20-year period. The tax rate he released does NOT answer that question. It masks the answer - probably deliberately.

This is the kind of bullshit someone in junior high might pull to fudge some numbers. I work in finance, and that was the first thing I thought of when he released the "average" tax rate. It's a transparent lie.

I don't understand what difference weighted and unweighted makes in this case. Can you explain it more?

It's not a race thing. Well, mostly anyway. The current Democratic president could be white and Republicans on Fox and on the radio will be demonizing him in largely the same extreme way, scaring old people. People underestimate right wing propaganda.
Yeah, I think people forget the Clinton administration....and keep in mind what it would have been like if social media was around. Bill got over really lucky on missing the Facebook groups dedicated to the Clinton body count.

RDreamer

I don't understand what difference weighted and unweighted makes in this case. Can you explain it more?

Basically he didn't necessarily pay 20% of his entire income for 20 years, like you'd initially believe.

The average of all of his rates was 20%.

In other words he paid 30%+ when he was on salary and also not making very much. He paid probably lower than 10% a few years or whatever when he was making a metric fuckton.

pigeon

Banned

Here's a quick example. Let's say I make $30 million in 2010 and pay $3 million -- that's 10%. In 2011 I make $10 million and still pay $3 million -- that's 30%.

Method one of finding my "average tax rate" is to average those two percentages -- (10%+30%)/2 = 20% average tax rate.

Method two is actually adding up my total taxes and finding what percentage that is of my total income -- $6 million/$40 million = 3/20 = 15% average tax rate.

Method one is the one they used.

ToxicAdam

Mitt could have made 1m in 1994 and paid 30 percent in taxes, then in 2000 he made 10m but only paid 10 percent. His average tax rate of those two years would be 20 percent.

But the actual percent would be about 12 percent of his total earnings.

Edit: beaten

Basically he didn't necessarily pay 20% of his entire income for 20 years, like you'd initially believe.

The average of all of his rates was 20%.

In other words he paid 30%+ when he was on salary and also not making very much. He paid probably lower than 10% a few years or whatever when he was making a metric fuckton.

Here's a quick example. Let's say I make $30 million in 2010 and pay $3 million -- that's 10%. In 2011 I make $10 million and still pay $3 million -- that's 30%.

Method one of finding my "average tax rate" is to average those two percentages -- (10%+30%)/2 = 20% average tax rate.

Method two is actually adding up my total taxes and finding what percentage that is of my total income -- $6 million/$40 million = 3/20 = 15% average tax rate.

Method one is the one they used.

Mitt could have made 1m in 1994 and paid 30 percent in taxes, then in 2000 he made 10m but only paid 10 percent. His average tax rate of those two years would be 20 percent.

But the actual percent would be about 12 percent of his total earnings.

Edit: beaten
Thank you.

STATEMENT BY SENATOR JOHN McCAIN ON LIBYA

September 21, 2012

Washington, D.C. ­– U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) today released the following statement on Libya:
“With the U.S. Senate prepared to vote in just hours on an amendment to cut off all foreign assistance to Libya, every member of Congress, and all Americans, should know what happened today in Benghazi. 

“Recent reports estimate that as many as 30,000 Libyans took to the streets in Benghazi, the city where Ambassador Chris Stevens and three of his colleagues were tragically murdered ten days ago. These Libyan demonstrators marched peacefully to the gates of the compound of Ansar al-Shariah, the militia allegedly responsible for the attack that killed Ambassador Stevens and his colleagues. The demonstrators conducted themselves peacefully. They carried signs, according to media reports, that read, ‘The Ambassador was Libya’s friend;’ ‘No, no to militias;’ and ‘Where is the army, where is the police?’ And when these brave Libyans arrived at the gates of the compound, they told this militia that they and their violent extremist agenda are not welcome in the new Libya.

“Somewhere, Chris Stevens is smiling. This is the real Libya – the Libya he knew so well, the Libya he wanted America to support and remain engaged with, the Libya for which he ultimately gave his life. These brave people in Libya are friends of America. They want our help and need our help. And we must continue to provide it to them, which is exactly what Chris Stevens would have wanted. If the Senate were to cut off all U.S. assistance to Libya now, as Senator Rand Paul’s amendment would have us do, it would abandon our friends to our terrorist enemies, destroy America’s moral standing in the world, and do egregious harm to our national interests.”

Jackson50

"We're tied in the polls. Well I mean, we're within the margin of error. I mean, we're in striking distance. Yesterday we were only down 7. That's pretty good!"
Wow. He's so confident. He must know something we don't. I sense a game changer.
The resilience of the Libyans is remarkable. And their repudiation of the extremists is encouraging. This serves as a wonderful refutation of those who argue the attacks on our diplomatic missions are representative of Muslims. Conversely, this incidence also illustrates the considerable problems confronting the nation. Regardless, the Libyans have continually proven up to the challenge. And I hope that continues.
John McCain :lol

GhaleonEB

Early voting starts in half the states in the country tomorrow. Vote early. Vote often.

Also:

In 32 states and Washington, D.C., voters can cast their ballots early, in person without any excuse or reason, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

In 21 states, like Virginia, voters can vote absentee, but an excuse is required. Some of the acceptable excuses listed on the Virginia absentee ballot application include commuting for 11 or more hours between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Election Day, being away from home due to personal or business travel, or being a student.
52 states?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
People are already voting in North Carolina.

ncsbe.gov said:
Voter Registration as of 09/21/2012
Democratic: 2,774,104
Republican: 2,006,635
Libertarian: 16,453
Unaffiliated: 1,648,497
Total: 6,445,689

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Unweighted average... Why would I expect anything else?
Because we should have at least expected that Mitt Romney wouldn't be this stupid. Who releases tax returns 2 weeks before the first debate,while losing in the polls, and still lies about the average tax rate paid over 20 years?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Because we should have at least expected that Mitt Romney wouldn't be this stupid. Who releases tax returns 2 weeks before the first debate,while losing in the polls, and still lies about the average tax rate paid over 20 years?

Mittens was clearly fucked either way. I honestly have no idea whether him getting hammered for paying his 9% tax would be worse than him getting hammered trying to deceive the public with his number fudging.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mittens was clearly fucked either way. I honestly have no idea whether him getting hammered for paying his 9% tax would be worse than him getting hammered trying to deceive the public with his number fudging.
To me, is always worse when you have to lie. He should have manned up and just admit that he paid under 10 percent some years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom