• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, is always worse when you have to lie. He should have manned up and just admit that he paid under 10 percent some years.
Seriously. If he's proud of his business acumen he should've used that controversy to springboard into a way to get his message out. Make it a part of his story and use it to illuminate his points.

Now either he doesn't have the skill to pull that off, or he's hiding something that nobody could defend.

iVoted.gif

Word up.

ivysaur12

Banned
Damn, doesn't start here until Oct 8.

How does it work with early voting? Do they count those numbers before hand and then release them when the polls close?

RDreamer

lol

As Mr. Romney headed to an evening fund-raiser in West Palm Beach, Fla., a reporter asked if he would be campaigning more extensively.

“Ha, ha. We’re in the stretch, aren’t we?” Mr. Romney said before promptly changing the subject and pointing to the sky. “Look at those clouds. It’s beautiful. Look at those things.”

What state are you from?
Minnesota, so my vote doesn't carry much consequence for the presidential election, or House and Senate for that matter. The amendments are the bigger battle - one that enacts voter ID, one that bans gay marriage. Voter ID will probably pass simply because it sounds reasonable to the average voter (still voted no), but gay marriage could fall either way. Here's to hoping.

RDreamer

Man the ads here are so weird to hear. My wife commented on it, too. The anti-Baldwin ads are all hitting her on Obamacare and the Medicare cuts. They also hit her for supporting the public option. So it's this weird dynamic of "Don't fuck with my socialized medicine!" then "I can't believe you support socialized, big government medicine! WTF!?" IN THE SAME COMMERCIAL!

Seriously, when is the mainstream going to put 2 and 2 together and realize what a clusterfuck this line of thinking is?

jbug617

Banned
Man the ads here are so weird to hear. My wife commented on it, too. The anti-Baldwin ads are all hitting her on Obamacare and the Medicare cuts. They also hit her for supporting the public option. So it's this weird dynamic of "Don't fuck with my socialized medicine!" then "I can't believe you support socialized, big government medicine! WTF!?" IN THE SAME COMMERCIAL!

Seriously, when is the mainstream going to put 2 and 2 together and realize what a clusterfuck this line of thinking is?

The Crossroads ads running here in MA have been about Obama lying about tax cuts but they don't provide a source to say it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
What's your excuse for voting absentee? I heard 300,000 absentee ballots in Minnesota. That seems like a lot for only 3.5 million ballots cast.

Do you need an excuse there? In Florida you don't, which makes the ID requirement a joke.

Forever

Banned
http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns...threeday-donor-retreat-around-new-136368.html

Mitt Romney's campaign has planned a string of activities for donors around the debates, including a three-day "victory retreat' at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in Manhattan overlapping with the Oct. 16 debate at Hofstra University, according to a copy of the invitation obtained by POLITICO.

The schedule of events can be viewed here. But it includes a dinner at the Intrepid Museum on the West Side of Manhattan, a debate watch party at Roseland Ballroom, and panels including a campaign strategy briefing and one on the final three weeks of the race.

The event, first reported by CNN, appears to be patterned on the Utah retreat the campaign held over the summer. There are other, smaller events planned around the other debates, including debate watch parties and invitations to the national finance "victory green room."

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Minnesota, so my vote doesn't carry much consequence for the presidential election, or House and Senate for that matter. The amendments are the bigger battle - one that enacts voter ID, one that bans gay marriage. Voter ID will probably pass simply because it sounds reasonable to the average voter (still voted no), but gay marriage could fall either way. Here's to hoping.

I would argue, even if I were gay that the former is worse than the latter because it has a chilling effecton the latter, theoretically.

GhaleonEB

Two things.

Thing One.

I was wondering about the adjustment for convention bounces in Silver's model. Today:

This is consistent with the post-convention bounce that we’ve seen for Mr. Obama on the whole. The FiveThirtyEight “now-cast” estimates that if an election were held today, Mr. Obama would have a 95 percent chance of winning it. Additionally, he is projected to win the national popular vote by almost five points – up from about two points before the conventions. The three-point gain is the same as in the average Purple Strategies poll.

Our Nov. 6 forecast continues to be more conservative, however, as we still need to account for the possibility that Mr. Obama’s numbers are inflated by the aftereffects of his party’s convention. By this time next week, it will be safer to conclude that Mr. Obama’s gains are permanent, and the forecast will move toward Mr. Obama if Mr. Romney does not make some tangible improvement.
So this time next week, if the polls are holding up, we'll see his odds uptick in the model as the adjustment is phased out.

Thing Two, just now on Twitter. I've read my 10 free articles in the Times this month, so I can't read it.

Great detail from NYT on Romney taxes: investments in half-dozen foreign companies were sold last August, 1 day before GOP primary in Iowa
This bears scrutiny. In conjunction with Romney's refusal to reveal most of the details of his tax returns, it adds to the evidence there is much that his is manipulating to shelter from voters.

pigeon

Banned
You should be able to read more if you clear your cookies for nytimes.com, I've had to do that three times with FiveThirtyEight

If you follow Nate on Twitter and click links from there, NYT will let you through -- they allow people to be linked through the gate from social media sites. Works with Google too, although theoretically there's a limit.

(This isn't piracy, is it?)

Also, on Paul Ryan Lies All The Time Watch:

NYT said:
In an amended return, Paul Ryan, the vice presidential candidate, told the I.R.S. he and his wife had “inadvertently” failed to report $61,122 in income from 2011. That raised their total income to $323,416 and increased their taxes by $19,917 to $64,674, or 20 percent of adjusted gross income.

They owed a penalty of $59 for the original underpayment.

They explained that they had overlooked their income from the Prudence Little Living Trust. Mrs. Little, who died in 2010, was Mrs. Ryan’s mother.

Love the quotes around inadvertently.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/romney-to-release-2011-tax-returns/

If you follow Nate on Twitter and click links from there, NYT will let you through -- they allow people to be linked through the gate from social media sites. Works with Google too, although theoretically there's a limit.

Huh, I didn't know about that - all I've been doin' is that cookie-clearing technique (though if that qualifies as piracy then I'll edit all reference to it out of these posts - assuming I'm still awake)

The term "Mr. Obama" irks the shit outta me.

He's the fucking President.

Hasn't the Times used "Mr." for every President for a long while, though?

pigeon

Banned
From the NYT article:

nyt said:
A campaign spokeswoman did not respond to questions about which years Mr. Romney or the family trusts had filed separate forms with the Internal Revenue Service disclosing their foreign income. Disclosing those forms would reveal whether Mr. Romney had over the years declared all of his foreign income to the I.R.S. in a timely manner....

Some elements of Mr. Romney’s finances became more opaque in 2011. Taxable wages for household employees, which reached $20,603 for four people in 2010, were not included on the 2011 return. Instead, the family made those payments through a payroll company that filed its own return.

Mr. Malt, who manages the family’s trusts, also disposed of politically sensitive investments while Mr. Romney campaigned for president. The 2011 tax returns his campaign released Friday showed that Mr. Romney’s family trusts had invested in shares of a Chinese-owned state oil company and sold those investments last summer, as Mr. Romney’s anti-Chinese comments heated up on the campaign trail.

Mr. Romney’s trusts also hedged against the dollar. Mr. Malt invested in a derivative that would profit if the dollar fell against a group of foreign currencies. He also put some of the family’s money in derivative securities linked to the Japanese stock market and to an index that includes stocks in every major country except the United States...

The Romney family trusts invested around the world. They owned shares in Credit Suisse, the Swiss bank; FLSmidth, a Danish machinery company; ArcelorMittal, a steel company based in Luxembourg with operations around the world; and Komatsu, a Japanese machinery company. All those investments were sold on Aug. 10, 2011 — the day before a Republican primary debate in Iowa.

As always, lots of suggestively cynical and devious behavior, nothing actually criminal. Which could basically be the Romney/Ryan campaign slogan.

Hasn't the Times used "Mr." for every President for a long while, though?

The New York Times' style guide says that after using "President Obama" once, later references in the same piece may be "Mr. Obama." Honorifics are a weird issue in America anyway -- notice how Obama stopped calling Romney "Governor Romney," because strictly according to Post, he's not entitled to the title once he leaves office (since it is not a rank or title, but rather a job), but people generally call Mr. Clinton "President Clinton" in any case. I think Nate Silver said at one point that he would always call them Mr. Obama and Mr. Romney to give the illusion of non-partisan reporting, which doesn't make a ton of sense to me but there you go.

johnsmith

remember me
The NY Times pay wall is ridiculously easy to step over.

www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/us/politics/under-pressure-romney-offers-more-tax-data.html?_r=0&gwh=530028FE5E7711B6C56E28E57AD3B6BA

All you have to do is delete the junk after .html in the address bar, hit enter, and you're in.

www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/us/politics/under-pressure-romney-offers-more-tax-data.html

The NY Times pay wall is ridiculously easy to step over.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/us/politics/under-pressure-romney-offers-more-tax-data.html?_r=0&gwh=530028FE5E7711B6C56E28E57AD3B6BA

All you have to do is delete the junk after .html in the address bar, hit enter, and you're in.

www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/us/politics/under-pressure-romney-offers-more-tax-data.html

your BBcode-fu is as suspect as mitt romney's presidential campaign

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Stop it. This is hard. I couldn't figure out how to prevent the automatic url shortening. You want to try it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/us/politics/under-pressure-romney-offers-more-tax-data.html?_r=0&gwh=530028FE5E7711B6C56E28E57AD3B6BA

Edit: You toggle the "Automatically parse links in text" option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom