• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
20100121033645-PicardWTF2.jpg

That smells to all hell like a way to hide some near zero years.

And Swiss Account Amnesty. Or how the IRA grew.

icalledit_colbert.gif

Why am I not surprised.

Anyone have a link to a rundown of what was left on the table?

Didn't he say that anyone who pays more than they're supposed to is unfit to run for office? I can't find the link but I know he said something like that.

Didn't he say that anyone who pays more than they're supposed to is unfit to run for office? I can't find the link but I know he said something like that.

Yes.

Mittster said:
I don’t pay more than are legally due and frankly if I had paid more than are legally due I don’t think I’d be qualified to become president. I’d think people would want me to follow the law and pay only what the tax code requires.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno...to-exploit-every-tax-loophole-horse-feathers/

But I'm not going to knock him for it. It is nice to see him pay a bit more to help the country.

sharbhund

http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetnovack/2012/07/31/romney-has-a-duty-to-exploit-every-tax-loophole-horse-feathers/

I’m happy to go back and look but my view is I’ve paid all the taxes required by law. From time to time I’ve been audited as happens I think to other citizens as well and the accounting firm which prepares my taxes has done a very thorough and complete job pay(ing) taxes as legally due. I don’t pay more than are legally due and frankly if I had paid more than are legally due I don’t think I’d be qualified to become president. I’d think people would want me to follow the law and pay only what the tax code requires.

He has said more than enough to disqualify himself from office. He's his own greatest enemy, which is why Obama has provided him ample space to self destruct and rail against his own fever dream version of Obama.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
can you imagine what obama's margin would be if he actually, gasp, followed through on his promises such as bringing unemployment down to 6%, curbing the rise of the oceans, and closing gitmo? obama lucks out again with a subpar opponent.

There's no luck to it. That's like saying Sony was lucking with the PS1 and PS2 because Sega screwed up the Sega Saturn and the Dreamcast. And they weren't "lucky" that Nintendo let them off the hook easy by not having CD based system at the time.

Sony had to do their work too. Similarly Obama had to do the proper work to get where he is now.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Yes he did. I want to dig up my post now. :/

edit:
Me Jan 19 said:
His 2011 taxes will be totally hedged to not fully minimize his effective tax rate if he thought it would help his campaign optics.
lol

Diablos

The GOP is going to be in full "Saving Privatization Ryan" mode pretty soon, at the expense of the Romney campaign.

I predict people will be tripping over themselves to say the ticket should be reversed, that Ryan has ideas, that Romney screw this up, etc.
It baffles me that Ryan never ran for Pres in the first place. He's the ideas guy, the supposedly charismatic and good looking one, or so they say.

I bet he'll run in 2016 if Mitt loses.

Vestal

It baffles me that Ryan never ran for Pres in the first place. He's the ideas guy, the supposedly charismatic and good looking one, or so they say.

I bet he'll run in 2016 if Mitt loses.

It would probably be worse than how Mitt is doing.. The Ryan Tax Plan would come front and freaking center.

Diablos

Ryan isn't politically inept, nor does he appear as though he lives in a bubble. His positions are disturbing to many, but if he sells his message right as a Presidential candidate he can definitely do better than Mitt.

He's still awkward, but for GOP standards he's better than most.

pigeon

Banned
Ryan isn't politically inept, nor does he appear as though he lives in a bubble. His positions are disturbing to many, but if he sells his message right as a Presidential candidate he can definitely do better than Mitt.

He's still awkward, but for GOP standards he's better than most.

Losing VP candidates rarely have much political future, and Ryan has a couple of specific disadvantages -- he's pegged as an extreme conservative, and he's also developing a reputation, among the media at least, as a liar. He got out in front of the cameras too early for his career.

Romney's 2011 tax's

Amount owed: 1.9M (released today), 3.2M (April estimate by campaign)
Income: 13.7M (released today), 20.9M (April estimate by campaign)
Rate: 14.1% (released today), 15.4% (April estimate by campaign)

Something is a little fishy here, how the hell can you be off over seven million dollars on your income?

Jackson50

I think Newt might've ran a stronger campaign oddly enough.
Newt's campaign would have crashed harder than Romney's. He's capricious and a poor manager. And he may be more inconsistent than Romney which is no small feat.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/09/baldwin-leads-thompson-by-4.html

Baldwin leads Thompson 49-45. I honestly think besides the general theme of the Dems keeping the Senate, this is the most paramount seat to win for the history books.
Wonderful news. Of the five polls conducted in September, she's tied in one and leading in the others. And in the four polls she's leading, her average margin of victory is 4.5%. This might be the most pleasant surprise of the cycle.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
$1.5 million of that is a tithe. Take that figure out -- 2.5 million out of 14 million is 17%.

edit: Not saying that donating to LDS is not charitable, but it's worth noting that tithing is, in some sense, not a voluntary contribution for Romney.

It's also the one year he knew he would have to release. Can't compare it to his previous years to see if it is just for show.

I'll admit, I had given up hope. But come November, it'll feel good to know that being gay isn't necessarily prohibitive towards one becoming a Senator.
I'll admit that recently (before the polling barrage) I conceded that Thompson was the favorite and factored that into my predictions that WI was a likely loss along with NE.

I also don't feel vindicated as much considering I predicted Feingold and Barrett to win at different points in their campaigns - although I knew Walker would win by the end.

And yeah, the biggest victory here is for the LGBT community. Imagine Senator Baldwin starring in a "It Gets Better" video... after the Respect for Marriage Act is passed, of course.

RDreamer said:
Are there no other gay Senators?
None that are openly gay, no. Not in history.

It's also the one year he knew he would have to release. Can't compare it to his previous years to see if it is just for show.

we can now!
Over the entire 20-year period, the Romneys gave to charity an average of 13.45% of their adjusted gross income

10 (required tithe) * 19 (years of paying it) + 30 (this year's)/20 (total number of years) = 11% average, meaning he paid close to the bare minimum allowed by the Mormon church in charity, except last year when he knew he was running (and maybe a few years he gave or took a few mil)

Biden spoke today at a campaign rally at my college today, with some biting remarks about Romney's infamous 47% comments.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/biden-romney-is-profoundly-wrong-about-america-20120921

“He thinks these folks believe they’re entitled. That they’ve become dependent, they see themselves as victims who won’t take responsibility for their own lives,” Biden said to more than 1,000 students at Dartmouth College. “How could he be so profoundly wrong about America? How is that possible? Not in my neighborhood! Not where I grew up! Not the people I know!”

Averon

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media...-peggy-noonans-conservatism-136283.html?hp=l6

Chris Wallace doubts Noonan's conservatism

In an interview with POLITICO today, Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace questioned Peggy Noonan's "conservative bona fides," following her recent editorials criticizing of Mitt Romney's campaign.

"Peggy Noonan has bashed George W. Bush, based Mitt Romney, wasn't crazy about McCain. So, [her] conservative bona fides I'm not sure I take too seriously," Wallace told POLITICO's Patrick W. Gavin. "[Columnists] like Peggy Noonan, sometimes they're New York City's idea of conservatives."

Wallace's remarks come on the same day that Romney surrogate and former Gov. John Sununu criticized Noonan, a Wall Street Journal columnist, for her attacks on Romney, telling MSNBC, "I wouldn't hire Peggy Noonan to run a campaign."

Conservatives starting to turn on Peggy Noonan?

Vestal

I do have a serious question regarding today's events. Why did make a point in saying they didn't take all the deductions? Doesn't that make the point democrats have been making all along?

Seriously are they intently running this campaign to the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom