• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took this in the parking lot just now (plates were SC vs NJ)
Two thoughts
1. Delicous tears soon
2. Notice no Romney sticker lol

http://i.imgur.com/mvxgy.jpg[/img
Sorry imgur did not resize right.

We learned a long time ago, sometimes to fight evil, you have to be willing to go as far as evil is willing to go.

Luckily many good men do not share this view; Batman doesn't use guns for a reason. But then again Obama never had the moral high ground given that he broke his word on public finance in 08. He opened pandora's box and tried to blame other people.

Al-ibn Kermit

That will be the best analysis of the election I think.

Also, I still am continually amazed this guy worked for Bill Clinton for twenty years. TWENTY YEARS. It's like he's trolling an entire audience because he knows it's an extremely profitable way to--- oh

If someone held a position you genuinely felt was detestable, and then got a law passed to support said position, it still would not change how detestable that position is.

To be extreme for a moment, if murder was the name of the game, and everyone was out murdering on the other side in order to win votes, you'd say "well, murder is in order. Gotta fight fire with fire!"

Slippery slopes are slippery slopes for a reason. I understand that it is still a perfectly reasonable position to feel that the only way to eradicate this particular position is to get people in power to limit the power of Citizens United, but I don't think that makes PhoenixDark wrong. Cheering Democrats getting more SuperPAC money is sad no matter how one slices it, if individuals were truly against the law.

I think most people would consider that self-defense.

Romney campaign raises the white flag already on the first debate

What a pathetic campaign. Someone just put this campaign out of it's misery, and release the Rombot to go back firing people, hang out with Nascar owners, shoot varmints or whatever he likes doing.

Eh? They're raising expectations on their opponent - this is the oldest trick in the book. Consider Biden's comments on being scared of Palin.

Similarly, Obama's camp is constantly lowering their expectations for Obama, which thus raises expectations for Romney.

Vahagn

Also, I still am continually amazed this guy worked for Bill Clinton for twenty years. TWENTY YEARS. It's like he's trolling an entire audience because he knows it's an extremely profitable way to--- oh

If someone held a position you genuinely felt was detestable, and then got a law passed to support said position, it still would not change how detestable that position is.

To be extreme for a moment, if murder was the name of the game, and everyone was out murdering on the other side in order to win votes, you'd say "well, murder is in order. Gotta fight fire with fire!"

Slippery slopes are slippery slopes for a reason. I understand that it is still a perfectly reasonable position to feel that the only way to eradicate this particular position is to get people in power to limit the power of Citizens United, but I don't think that makes PhoenixDark wrong. Cheering Democrats getting more SuperPAC money is sad no matter how one slices it, if individuals were truly against the law.

Your overall message is right. But it doesn't change the fact that not using SUPERPAC money on a 2012 election would make it much harder for Democrats to win, not just in the presidential race, but especially in congressional races.

Also, killing people to get votes, no, definitely not. Killing Hitler and a Nazi Army, different topic entirely. As a general rule, I try to be a pacifist and i fundamentally believe in Karma. But this is essentially an ends justify the means argument. And there are some ends that justify the use of some means.

And in the case of using SUPERPACs to win elections as a necessity to combat Republican Super PAC's the ends definitely justify the means. Firing people and stealing their pensions to build yourself a car elevator? Not so much.

Luckily many good men do not share this view; Batman doesn't use guns for a reason. But then again Obama never had the moral high ground given that he broke his word on public finance in 08. He opened pandora's box and tried to blame other people.

That hurts. He's my favorite super hero. But, he's also a comic book character...in a fantasy setting where he wins every time. Lastly, he doesn't use guns because the tools he has at his disposal are quite frankly, a hell of a lot more advanced and powerful than guns. Batman wouldn't mean as much if he used guns, but he also wouldn't mean as much if he got shot and killed in episode 1 and life went on, hence - it's a piece of fiction. But, point taken.

QUOTE that shit Manos. Gods dayumit.

Probably late of this but I just saw Obama's 47% ad "My Job". Just Romneys words, quoted, with imagery. Its the purest form of attack ad. Critical damage. Ouch.
(watch)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Probably late of this but I just saw Obama's 47% ad "My Job". Just Romneys words, quoted, with imagery. Its the purest form of attack ad. Critical damage. Ouch.
(watch)

1. Mother with family
2. African-American factory worker
3. Elderly veterans
4. Hispanic worker
5. Female factory worker

Absolutely perfect commercial. Reaching out to everyone.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
QUOTE that shit Manos. Gods dayumit.

(watch)

That is beautiful. He was screwed before that video leaked, but I really think it is what will completely sink him. He was unable to control the narrative before that video, and I think he'll be on defense until election day.

Clevinger

n67i0.png

Brinbe

Maaaan, that ad is amazing.

They took what was obviously already devastating material and managed to make it even more effective. Props to whoever cooked that up in the campaign.

The reason why the "liberals are wimps/pussies/lack spine" or whatever is a sticking point is exactly due to this unyielding idealism. This is not murder, playing with fire or a slippery slope. It's politics. American politics. And in American politics, you friggin rip your opponent a new asshole and when he's down, you take a shit on him and call his children bastards. The point is that it's a brutal, do or die game. Save the nanny nanny idealism stuff for a discourse on social theory. You won't win elections with that crap and it's exactly why Ron Paul won't become a President or Dennis Kucinich never became one. This is why PD is wrong. He is always wrong. Separate the "right thing to do" from "smart thing to do" when faced with situations, and you won't run into conundrums.

The reason why the "liberals are wimps/pussies/lack spine" or whatever is a sticking point is exactly due to this unyielding idealism. This is not murder, playing with fire or a slippery slope. It's politics. American politics. And in American politics, you friggin rip your opponent a new asshole and when he's down, you take a shit on him and call his children bastards. The point is that it's a brutal, do or die game. Save the nanny nanny idealism stuff for a discourse on social theory. You won't win elections with that crap and it's exactly why Ron Paul won't become a President or Dennis Kucinich never became one. This is why PD is wrong. He is always wrong. Separate the "right thing to do" from "smart thing to do" when faced with situations, and you won't run into conundrums.

yup, esp. the part about PD being wrong

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Did Jennifer Rubin actually say compare Obama's entire track record on terrorists by comparing it to Bush's by purposely leaving out 9/11? What the WHAT?

"Cheering on" superpac money is only a problem if we relent on the desire to get it out of politics once our preferred candidates are in office. Our pressure should be applied to changing the law, not brow beating our candidates and guilting them into losing.

Clevinger

"Cheering on" superpac money is only a problem if we relent on the desire to get it out of politics once our preferred candidates are in office. Our pressure should be applied to changing the law, not brow beating our candidates and guilting them into losing.

Yeah. And even if Democratic voters didn't care, the politicians would (and nominate supreme court judges who will eventually overturn it) because unlimited superpac money is still bad for them in cynical political terms.

pigeon

Banned

I mean, this is exactly what the Republicans clamoring for Romney to attack harder sound like. Sure, they're mental, but either way, we need to remember that politics isn't about winning elections, it's about governing a country. I can be glad that the Democrats are getting superPAC money to counter the Republican superPAC money while simultaneously recognizing that the entire superPAC situation is bullshit and should be fixed.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oh, and also seems that Mother Jones video was disappointment-ton. Nobody in the liberal media mentioned it at all today.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Saw this on fivethirtyeight just now... Somehow I don't think their target market* actually reads Nate Silver.
IJ5VX.jpg

*-Angry racists and conspiracy nuts

olivia-gif-5.gif

I mean, this is exactly what the Republicans clamoring for Romney to attack harder sound like. Sure, they're mental, but either way, we need to remember that politics isn't about winning elections, it's about governing a country. I can be glad that the Democrats are getting superPAC money to counter the Republican superPAC money while simultaneously recognizing that the entire superPAC situation is bullshit and should be fixed.
Never said SuperPAC money isn't bullshit. It is. You can't let Republicans handicap you in elections by playing on your ideals. Sadly, politics IS about winning. In order to make a change, you must win first. I'm not going to sit idly lamenting about the politicial landscape being ruined, while the Republicans speed away in the limousines of their corporate sugardaddies like Koch bros. I'm not in favor to let good ideas run over by rampant corporate monies. It was never about speech anyway.

Obama will probably win NV due to the dem ground game there. I think NC will go to Romney slightly, and I never believed NH was a swing state...

It's looking more and more like Nevada and Colorado are the real swing states this year, while the Rust Belt is out of reach. Unfortunately Nevada and Colorado just don't stack up to Ohio.

Yeah, and the ground game there is still in Obama's favor. Basically, Romney is now plying offense in states that Obama can afford to lose. He is playing a high risk, low reward game while Obama is angling for the higher reward ones.

Well, it makes sense now.

n Nevada, where Latinos made up 15 percent of the electorate (but 27 percent of the population), Obama has a 62 percent to 36 percent advantage over Romney. That’s narrower than the 76 percent to 22 percent margin Obama won in 2008, but he won the state by 12 points last time, a significant cushion.

Loudninja

RNC cuts ties with firm over voter registration allegations
The Republican National Committee has fired a controversial consulting firm it was paying millions of dollars to conduct voter registration in five battleground states, NBC News has learned.

The move came after the Palm Beach County, Fla., elections supervisor discovered 108 potentially fraudulent registration forms submitted by the GOP consulting firm, including suspected phony signatures and home addresses that matched those of a gas station, a medical building, and a Land Rover automotive dealership.

NBC News has learned that four other Florida counties have also reported hundreds of possible fraudulent registration forms submitted by the firm, including apparent dead people being registered as new voters.
"We've made it clear we're not doing business with these guys anymore," said Spicer. "We've come out pretty strong against this kind of stuff -- and we have zero tolerance for this."
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...firm-over-voter-registration-allegations?lite

pigeon

Banned

Amir0x

Banned

There's one thing to play the political game, and there's another thing to actively contribute to the literal demise of the democratic process. There are lines that must be drawn.

Citizens United is single handedly one of the most dangerous and democracy-undermining rulings of the last hundred years; encouraging it simply reinforces the cycle. The minute you start cheering because your candidate of choice is doing it (or has supporters who are, in any event), is the minute you pretty much condone it. You lose the right to then say you don't want it used, because you're helping propagate its spread.

Let me ask you a simple question, and this one is based on harsh reality, unlike your 'idealism' bullshit screed:

If SuperPacs actually help the Democrats win extra seats or help Obama win, just how many Democrats do you believe are then going to go to Congress and help pass laws to limit its powers?

If you said 'none', then BINGO!

The way to win this particular fight is to sap SuperPACs of their power, and the only way to do it is to not support the practice in any light.

Saw this on fivethirtyeight just now... Somehow I don't think their target market* actually reads Nate Silver.
IJ5VX.jpg

*-Angry racists and conspiracy nuts

Fuck these racist nutjobs. Really, fuck them to hell. Edward Said? Probably THE greatest voice on the middle east? I'd love for Edward Said to be the founding father of America. What a bunch of crackpots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom