• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake

What is this, the tenth reboot now?

Seriously.

I hope someone like the Daily Show does a compilation of every time the Romney campaign has said it's "restarting," which is about every three days at this point. This is easily some of the worst messaging I've ever seen from a Presidential campaign and they're lucky that it's mostly confirmed partisans who are seeing it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I haven't read the details, but one problem with this can be that hospitals do not take in the same patient populations, and so some hospitals may get shit ratings because they tend to see higher risk patients, which generally have higher rates of re-admittance. Their care may be top notch, and better than another hospital with a higher rating, but that is not seen since they get sent all the complicated cases. I hope this takes into account the types of patients seen because a strict percentage comparison would not be fair at all.

That's a good point, I guess you could give more weight to local hospitals in the same area.

Seriously.

I hope someone like the Daily Show does a compilation of every time the Romney campaign has said it's "restarting," which is about every three days at this point. This is easily some of the worst messaging I've ever seen from a Presidential campaign and they're lucky that it's mostly confirmed partisans who are seeing it.
If you say you're rebooting, you're admitting you're losing.

And if you're admitting you're losing, OH GOD YOU'RE LOSING ABORT ABORT!

Obama would need to murder a live kitten at the debate to allow Romney to pull into a tie. His lead right now is 6 points. That's pretty damn big.

thefit

Whats great about about the whole "zingers" thing is that its out there, everyone knows about it and so everyone will be expecting them so when they do come up no one is going to give a shit. Its like a slowly deflating fart sound making balloon heading into the first debate.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Which many republicans mocked and criticized at the time.

Few posts back, but I always wondered, what exactly was the reason that the righties didn't want to invade Pakistan? Sounds like something I would've expected from the other side.

Gotchaye

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...it_legal_to_insult_muslims_but_not_jews_.html

Good article about the contradictory position on free speech. In most Western countries there are hate speech restricting laws and specifically antisemitism related laws. Many Muslims are asking why Islamophobia is free speech but antisemitism is a crime. It's hypocrisy and either we should consider both crimes or neither crimes.

I'm not a fan of hate speech laws, but there's a pretty big difference between genuine hate speech against a group (calling all Muslims terrorists), mocking the beliefs of a group (making a big deal out of Mohammed being a pedophile), and merely doing something some members of a group find offensive (drawing Mohammed with no desire to insult Muslims in general). Drawing Mohammed is not like Holocaust denial.

Zzoram

I'm not a fan of hate speech laws, but there's a pretty big difference between genuine hate speech against a group (calling for all Muslims to be deported, say), mocking the beliefs of a group (making a big deal out of Mohammed being a pedophile), and merely doing something some members of a group find offensive (drawing Mohammed with no desire to insult Muslims in general). Drawing Mohammed is not like Holocaust denial.

No, but the video that caused the uproar in the middle east was hate speech.

It would be best to leave out the Muhammad conversation here. There have been plenty of threads where all the arguments have been laid out. I'm sure there's a few active ones too.

Effect

The Media is looking for a Romney comeback narrative (actually it has already somewhat started due to the WH Libya missteps). They will play up any "big" moments Romney has, where he may seem to fluster Obama or scored a few points.

This would be an issue I think if the Romney was at all likable. I don't think the media can stand him majority of the time and that includes conservative media. Romney has shown himself to be completely unfit for the office by his lack of specifics, how he's run his campaign, his pick of Ryan, and the general crap that comes out of his mouth. If that wasn't the case then I would worry about the media trying to shape a comeback narrative.

3684_474423029247069_1874587375_n.jpg

This got me good. OMG

Chichikov

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Oh my god yet *another* video dissing on Romney.

But waitaminit... aren't these guys... are th...

what the

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3q7-a-ayc

Ouch.

This is the thing that never made sense to me about American politics - making party candidates go through a primary process where people in your own party attack you and expose your flaws (and it seems to get pretty vicious). Then they have to turn round and say "on no, he/she is a swell guy/girl after all".

Anno

Anti-Obama commercials in Ohio are starting to get extra crazy. "Obama - radical on abortion, EVEN when it's just because the baby is a girl." Stay classy, Republicans.

Gotchaye

This is the thing that never made sense to me about American politics - making party candidates go through a primary process where people in your own party attack you and expose your flaws (and it seems to get pretty vicious). Then they have to turn round and say "on no, he/she is a swell guy/girl after all".

How should it work?

Diablos

I had a bad feeling this morning for some reason. It's like Romney trough'd too early.
Yeah, I feel it too. Dems are getting really cocky, talking like the race is already over, and I think it's a mistake to be so overconfident.

No Pres has been re-elected with UE and GDP figures like this since FDR. So while most signs are pointing to Obama winning, there's definitely some room for Romney to exploit that if he can get his shit together and Obama fucks something up between now and November, which is still entirely possible. I actually take Christie at his word that Romney has a good chance of taking Obama by surprise in a debate.

Or, you know, Greece could exit the Eurozone or some shit like that.

Yeah, I feel it too. Dems are getting really cocky, talking like the race is already over, and I think it's a mistake to be so overconfident.

No Pres has been re-elected with UE and GDP figures like this since FDR. So while most signs are pointing to Obama winning, there's definitely some room for Romney to exploit that if he can get his shit together and Obama fucks something up between now and November, which is still entirely possible. I actually take Christie at his word that Romney has a good chance of taking Obama by surprise in a debate.

Or, you know, Greece could exit the Eurozone or some shit like that.

Oh, boy, Diablos, I was enjoying you not being doom and gloom.

I'm not a fan of hate speech laws, but there's a pretty big difference between genuine hate speech against a group (calling all Muslims terrorists), mocking the beliefs of a group (making a big deal out of Mohammed being a pedophile), and merely doing something some members of a group find offensive (drawing Mohammed with no desire to insult Muslims in general). Drawing Mohammed is not like Holocaust denial.
Muhammad wasn't a pedophile, and you can incite a mob with those comments. Now kindly stfu.

Diablos

Oh, boy, Diablos, I was enjoying you not being doom and gloom.
There's a difference between being a realist and being all doom and gloom. That you would ignore the fact that I admitted most signs are pointing to an Obama win would mean you are just taking comfort in denouncing anyone who's not ignorant enough realize this is far from over. I'm not closed-minded enough to think there's absolutely no way Mitt can bounce back. If he performs better than expected in a debate or two, and makes Obama look bad, he's on his way to getting in better standing with undecided voters. Really, Obama should be in much more serious trouble given UE/GDP, but he's not. Which means he's damn lucky, and it also means if Obama falls off course, Mitt really would have a shot of regaining enough cred with voters to make election night a nailbiter.

PPP Got Obama 49-45 over Romney in Ohio

Approval 48/49

indies 42/41 to Romney
Yep, it's getting tighter... and this is pre-debate.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
How should it work?

I'm not sure I'm thought enough about an alternative. It just seems very counterproductive the way it currently is with candidates within a single party tearing each other down (and spending money to do so). Maybe if there was more breathing room between the end of the primaries and the elections themselves that might help?

Commonwealth countries like NZ, Australia and the UK seem to have much less in-party fighting that the public is exposed to, at least with respect to putting forward candidates for Prime Minister. Or maybe I'm just not paying enough attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom